2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

You've repeatedly said you'd take Kyrie over KD generally, if not specifically regarding the Mavs. I mean, it would be ridiculous for any team, but are you therefore conceding that as GM of the Mavs you would take KD over Kyrie today?

Yes. Age. 

Depends on what the goal and roster composition is. If this team had Brunson, a competent coach, and Wood playing 30+ minutes every night, KD in a heartbeat, because I guarantee you we’d already be at 50 wins by now, with ample ball handlers, and KD is a better overall player.

As it was, Luka needed ball handling help in the WORST way. Kyrie was the proper move over KD, particularly when you consider their age and the prospect of having each of them for awhile. I have made all comments without any thought to actual contract status. 

Edited by Porterhouse

Kyrie is ass my dude. He's a short Kobe Bryant without the killer instinct, singular focus on winning, obsession with basketball, intensity, work ethic, and defensive give a fuck.

If the Mavs sign him to a long term deal, they're a ridiculous franchise not serious about winning.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Kyrie is ass my dude. He's a short Kobe Bryant without the killer instinct, singular focus on winning, obsession with basketball, intensity, work ethic, and defensive give a fuck.

If the Mavs sign him to a long term deal, they're a ridiculous franchise not serious about winning.

Tate signed this for me years ago. 😂

@aggie08

C886303A-7763-4C08-86AD-EC26ECA11458.jpeg

Edited by Irieguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes. Age. 

Depends on what the goal and roster composition is. If this team had Brunson, a competent coach, and Wood playing 30+ minutes every night, KD in a heartbeat, because I guarantee you we’d already be at 50 wins by now, with ample ball handlers, and KD is a better overall player.

As it was, Luka needed ball handling help in the WORST way. Kyrie was the proper move over KD, particularly when you consider their age and the prospect of having each of them for awhile. I have made all comments without any thought to actual contract status. 

You are ridiculous. Every single team in the league would be better off with KD on their roster than with Kyrie. This is obvious and without question.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

But at least Luka got his complaints lodged with the refs, amirite?

I agree with you on this and why I’m talking about Luka’s attitude. Like owner like coach. Cuban is a better owner than JJ in a tallest midgets competition.  

All of you blaming Kyrie for this are not watching these games. Stop listening to the talking heads. You wanna see why we're losing games? Watch the games. It's not Kyrie who keeps getting blown by on the perimeter. It's not Kyrie who night in and night out doesn't rotate over onto the open 3 point shiiterer. It's not Kyrie who stays on the offensive end of the floor arguing a no call while his team plays shorthanded on defense. With Dallas he's averaging the most points of his career. He's averaging the most boards in his career. His assists per game are tied for third best in his career. And he's doing this with plantar fasciitis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

All of you blaming Kyrie for this are not watching these games. Stop listening to the talking heads. You wanna see why we're losing games? Watch the games. It's not Kyrie who keeps getting blown by on the perimeter. It's not Kyrie who night in and night out doesn't rotate over onto the open 3 point shiiterer. It's not Kyrie who stays on the offensive end of the floor arguing a no call while his team plays shorthanded on defense. With Dallas he's averaging the most points of his career. He's averaging the most boards in his career. His assists per game are tied for third best in his career. And he's doing this with plantar fasciitis.

This. I've watched these games-- Kyrie isn't the problem. To those just dumping it on him, it's clear they either aren't watching or just have an axe to grind.

That said, there are structurally problems with Defense and Coaching for sure.

Preach. Kyrie might not have the views others have but he isn't the problem here. Cuban and and this front office is a big problem. We have so many bad contracts around Luka. It won't work. And no idea what they can really do in the next few years.

I know the narrative will be Kyrie came here and destroyed the team but that's just the usual talking heads narrative because it's so cool to pile on Kyrie at every turn.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Preach. Kyrie might not have the views others have but he isn't the problem here. Cuban and and this front office is a big problem. We have so many bad contracts around Luka. It won't work. And no idea what they can really do in the next few years.

I know the narrative will be Kyrie came here and destroyed the team but that's just the usual talking heads narrative because it's so cool to pile on Kyrie at every turn.

The front office is a shit show.  Has been for the last decade+. 

The first 30 minutes of the Bill Simmons Podcast from Sunday and the first 25 minutes of the Ringer NBA Show Podcast from yesterday talk about the Mavs current situation with the players and front office.  I recommend listening to those.

Kyrie has been fine. Really good, even, all season. Of course he has; he's playing for a contract. I'm sure he's been on his best (for Kyrie standards) behavior in Dallas. But, even when you have his attention/engagement, he has never impacted winning in a significant way. His stats aren't empty, but they are misleading. He has never been a top 15 player and probably never will be. But go ahead and pay him like one, and see what happens. You can't convince everyone else to try on defense if your best two players are Luka and Kyrie. The next trade demand that he makes--his fifth--won't net you jack shit, not even the equivalent of Isaiah Thomas, because the rest of the league is (finally) valuing him properly.

Mavs are like 25th in defense and rebounding. Not exactly a head scratcher on what they need to do to improve in the offseason. Free agent crop is weak so are options are like Kyrie or Fred Van Vleet.

Finney Smith has kinda sucked since he's been on the Nets. Defense has regressed some and bricking threes lately. Plays Houston tonight though. Good vibes opponent.

Kidd is such a terrible coach.  I didn't realize he had a sub .500 career record when hired by the Mavs.

Wood had 9 pts, 2 defensive rebounds, 2 offensive rebounds, a steal, and a 3-pointer in about 10 mins.  

But, by all means, play Klieber and his 5 pts, 4 rebounds, 3 fouls, and 3 turnovers for 26 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kidd is such a terrible coach.  I didn't realize he had a sub .500 career record when hired by the Mavs.
Wood had 9 pts, 2 defensive rebounds, 2 offensive rebounds, a steal, and a 3-pointer in about 10 mins.  
But, by all means, play Klieber and his 5 pts, 4 rebounds, 3 fouls, and 3 turnovers for 26 minutes.
I think he had a good season with Milwaukee but that's about it. He was a terrible choice. He makes Avery look like Pat Riley with how he manages the in game roster. He needs to be fired yesterday.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

All the fears when Kidd was hired are coming to fruition in basically half a season. If he misses the play-in game with a top 5 player in the league, I don't see how it's possible you keep him, but Mavs probably going to Mavs. 

The treatment of Wood this year has been embarrassing. Yes, he has flaws, but if you don't score 120 per night, you're going to lose. 12 minutes for Wood is beyond puzzling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Mavs are gonna go 2-3 to finish the season. Maybe 3-2. I don't think that gets them there.

A smart organization would go 0-5 to actually have a chance to improve the roster. So that means the Mavs will try to go 3-2 and give the #11 pick to the Knicks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

A smart organization would go 0-5 to actually have a chance to improve the roster. So that means the Mavs will try to go 3-2 and give the #11 pick to the Knicks. 

That's an interesting point.  If Mavs tank and go 0-5, the Mavs keep their 2023 #1 draft pick since it is Top 10 protected.  If it's #11 or worse, the Knicks are awarded the pick.

Screenshot_20230331-050616_kindlephoto-558426.thumb.png.63fe3b66522bcf43ff009b90082b7368.png

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That's an interesting point.  If Mavs tank and go 0-5, the Mavs keep their 2023 #1 draft pick since it is Top 10 protected.  If it's #11 or worse, the Knicks are awarded the pick.

Screenshot_20230331-050616_kindlephoto-558426.thumb.png.63fe3b66522bcf43ff009b90082b7368.png

Winning against Indiana was so freaking stupid. Did us absolutely no good. The only saving grace is we suck even when we're trying to win and Chicago is in the play-in at the moment, so they probably won't tank the last 6 games. If we actually tanked properly, we would probably be able to keep our pick. 

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

The problem is this years draft is not that deep. The top is awesome. But after 5-6 it’s kind of rough.

We have no way to improve the roster this offseason. You can at least find a 3 and D guy with the 10th pick that will hopefully bring some more athleticism. Or you can move the pick to acquire something. This team just needs assets at this point. They’re stuck due to poor roster management since 2019. 

54 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

We have no way to improve the roster this offseason. You can at least find a 3 and D guy with the 10th pick that will hopefully bring some more athleticism. Or you can move the pick to acquire something. This team just needs assets at this point. They’re stuck due to poor roster management since 2019. 

I disagree that they have no options for improving the roster.

If they can get Kyrie or Wood to participate in a sign-and-trade they have some worthwhile pieces.

They have around 27M in cap space, 53M before hitting the luxury tax. An additional 10M is marked for Bullock but is non-guaranteed, so I assume they could cut him or buy him out and get that cap space back.

There are some interesting free agents if they commit to revamping the roster. Jerami Grant or revisiting the Harrison Barnes experience for ~25M per is not a terrible option but you'd rather throw 10-12M at Poetl and a collection of shooters. Moritz Wagner or Naz Reid would not be bad targets as affordable bigs either. Trez Harrell has a player option and has to be disappointed in his role on the Sixers. He could probably be wooed. I mean, it's not hard to upgrade from Powell.

Max Strus is a nice target as an affordable shooter. Can they get Vasilije Micic from Euroleague? Not sure the status on his draft rights but he's a 6th man of the year candidate for a team like the Mavs who need a scoring playmaker to lead the second unit.

Pulling off some trade wizardry to net somebody like Myles Turner and you've got a decent playoff squad.

Equally important to roster moves though is jettisoning Kidd and having a nutritionist and personal trainer live with Luka 24/7. If Luka comes in with body fat under 12% he'll be much more effective.

They really need to find the James Worthy / Scottie Pippen guy for Luka in the next two years though.

• Hook 'Em 1