2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

48 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

No he’s not. He’s an absolute stud in the prime of his career. With him the Mavs have 2 top 10 players and maybe 2 top 5. 

Jesus fucking Christ. Kyrie is nowhere near a top 5 player, even ignoring his complete and total unreliability.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

It was a joke.  Lighten up Francis.  Both are ball dominant guys so we'll see how it plays out. I think the first 18 months will be fine.

Kyrie hasn’t had a “fine” 18 months straight since he left Cleveland. I’m sure it will be different this time.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

I wouldn’t consider him posting a link to a movie about black people being the ‘real Israelites’ as hateful or bigoted. It’s his belief. He has the right to believe that just the same as you have to right to believe he’s ignorant. 

Would you consider posting a link to a movie that denied the holocaust as hateful or bigoted? Because I sure as shit do. 

If you’re gonna point out his “hatefulness” and ignorance then you also have to point out the numerous charitable things he’s done throughout his career. 

No I don't. 

I believe he’s not as terrible of a person as the media portrays and that’s he a damn fine basketball talent. If he helps Dallas win then I don’t care about his off court beliefs.

Yeah... it's all part of a media conspiracy. Seriously?

This is going to be my final post about this because I don't want to derail the thread any more... but if you truly don't care about his off court beliefs, then why the fuck are you even bringing them up and then defending them? If you want to talk about the basketball side of this and how it's good for the Mavs, be my guest. I have no problem with that and I have no problem with the Mavs trading for him. In fact, I actually like watching the dude play. He's an unbelievable talent. But don't try to defend or justify his actions. He's an ignorant clown. Helluva player though, at least when he's not injured, taking extended mental health breaks, refusing the vaccine, or otherwise spending his time imploding various franchises around the league. Good luck with all that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Jesus fucking Christ. Kyrie is nowhere near a top 5 player, even ignoring his complete and total unreliability.

Kyrie hasn’t had a “fine” 18 months straight since he left Cleveland. I’m sure it will be different this time.

Lol. He’s unquestionably Top 10 and a lot closer to 5 than 10. I take him over Durant, LBJ, Shai, Embiid, Curry, Booker, Young, Brown, Zion, Mitchell and maybe Tatum. I wouldn’t take him over Luka, Giannis, Jokic, Dame, or Ja. But that’s it. 

34 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Huh. Where are you seeing this?  God there is not a great difference between $36 and $77 mil. And he’d probably take $72 over 4 years. 

Why the fuck aren’t we doing that?  If you can maintain a Luka/Kyrie/Wood triumvirate for awhile, that is very very salty. What CW is requesting isn’t that pricey at all. 

it's been pretty widely reported.  the initial reports of the 2 year extension came out 3 weeks ago i think?  then shams yesterday reiterated the deal was still on the table.  we don't want to go 4 years for a variety of reasons (hasn't played in playoffs, defense is huge questionmark, might need to rebuild)

15 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol. He’s unquestionably Top 10 and a lot closer to 5 than 10. I take him over Durant, LBJ, Shai, Embiid, Curry, Booker, Young, Brown, Zion, Mitchell and maybe Tatum. I wouldn’t take him over Luka, Giannis, Jokic, Dame, or Ja. But that’s it. 

Dame? I mean I'm much higher on Dame than most around here but that's crazy talk to just him over anyone you listed other than SGA, Young or brown.

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Ah, now it all makes sense. You don’t actually watch NBA games. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

He's older and I think he'll want to at least pretend to care about the team so that he can get that max extension.  He's basically burned bridges at every location, so not smart to think he won't eventually get tired of playing second fiddle to Luka, but for now, I think he'll be a team player.

15 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Ah, now it all makes sense. You don’t actually watch NBA games. 

Saw some stats that the Nets are actually better with just KD than KD/Kyrie.  

Kyrie is a great talent.  I'm not putting him above KD or LBJ.  

19 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Dame? I mean I'm much higher on Dame than most around here but that's crazy talk to just him over anyone you listed other than SGA, Young or brown.

I don't use the Olympics as a benchmark, but KD was clearly the best player on the American team.  That includes Dame and Tatum.  Recognize that was two years ago.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

it's been pretty widely reported.  the initial reports of the 2 year extension came out 3 weeks ago i think?  then shams yesterday reiterated the deal was still on the table.  we don't want to go 4 years for a variety of reasons (hasn't played in playoffs, defense is huge questionmark, might need to rebuild)

Those are insanely idiotic reasons not to merely give him 2 more years at a relatively cheap rate. 

Shocker, my rankings aren’t well received. Well, Kyrie’s lack of accolades (All NBAs) are due to his inability to play recently New York (yes his own fault), and his perpetual sidekick role, which hurt his already-fantastic numbers tremendously. @SilasCoadehell yes on Dame. 

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don't use the Olympics as a benchmark, but KD was clearly the best player on the American team.  That includes Dame and Tatum.  Recognize that was two years ago.

I’d take Irving over KD now because of age, and very clearly over LBJ. 

Edited by Porterhouse

I get what you’re saying Mitch, but I just don’t think his intentions were to be hateful or bigoted. I think his intentions were to enlighten. Was it maybe poor judgement? Sure.

Truthfully I don’t care either way. It’s not my place to give a shit about his off court beliefs. It’s my place to give a shit if he helps the team on the court and I think he does, without question.

We’ll find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Those are insanely idiotic reasons not to merely give him 2 more years at a relatively cheap rate. 

i'd sign him up for the 4/$80 he wants right now.  but i can see the concern they have especially on defense.  he is a huge net negative in the form of defense our team plays where 1 thru 5 have to rotate to the open shooter.  as for the playoffs concern-  remember he's been on like 3 teams where he's had issues with teammates or coaches.  he's never been on a winning team and while he's been alright thus far they want to give it more time.  

34 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

giphy.gif

kyrie is playing the best basketball he's ever played.  he is definitely top 10 and i'd say top 5.  

56 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

kyrie is playing the best basketball he's ever played.  he is definitely top 10 and i'd say top 5.  

Like, in a vacuum? As if the rest of the team/world doesn't matter? I mean, I could hear an argument for him based on talent and skill. But otherwise? Good lord no. He's certainly not one of the top 10 players that you want on your team if you want to win a championship, which is kind of the goal. It doesn't really matter how "great" you are if you aren't contributing to winning, much less actively sabotaging your franchise.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

This is crazy, and I’m pretty high on Kyrie as a player.

Ignoring that he’s a lunatic, you can maybe make the case he’s a top 10 offensive player in the league (not top 5), but you have to occasionally spend some time on the other end in the NBA. And aside from Young he’s probably the single biggest liability on defense of any player that you mentioned. 

Shit, he’s been objectively great this season, and he’s PER lower than pretty much your entire list except for Young and Booker. 

Personal stuff aside, I think he’s probably top 20 and lower than every dude you mentioned except Young. Having him above Tatum, Steph, KD, Lebron, and Embiid is a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Like, in a vacuum? As if the rest of the team/world doesn't matter? I mean, I could hear an argument for him based on talent and skill. But otherwise? Good lord no. He's certainly not one of the top 10 players that you want on your team if you want to win a championship, which is kind of the goal. It doesn't really matter how "great" you are if you aren't contributing to winning, much less actively sabotaging your franchise.

To your point, there are probably 30 players Cuban would immediately trade Kyrie for if given the opportunity. And it’s Cuban, so he’d probably throw in a couple unprotected firsts, too.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I pay attention to none of what occurred on the team in Brooklyn. The franchise is a disaster, and filled with nut jobs like KD and Harden and Simmons. And KD and Kyrie are champions. It was a fucked up situation and I am anxious to see how it works here. I’m much more worried about his dumbass theories. 

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

This is crazy, and I’m pretty high on Kyrie as a player.

Ignoring that he’s a lunatic, you can maybe make the case he’s a top 10 offensive player in the league (not top 5), but you have to occasionally spend some time on the other end in the NBA. And aside from Young he’s probably the single biggest liability on defense of any player that you mentioned. 

Shit, he’s been objectively great this season, and he’s PER lower than pretty much your entire list except for Young and Booker. 

Personal stuff aside, I think he’s probably top 20 and lower than every dude you mentioned except Young. Having him above Tatum, Steph, KD, Lebron, and Embiid is a joke. 

You have to ignore his personal stuff. His personal stuff has led him to play like 50% of games in last 3 years. And he’s a significantly better defender than Dinwiddie. He’s not going to get a ton of steals but his D is not bad. 

Steph, KD, Lebron was age. And, he’s just better anyway. I was wrong on Tatum and Embiid and want to walk that back. 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

To your point, there are probably 30 players Cuban would immediately trade Kyrie for if given the opportunity. And it’s Cuban, so he’d probably throw in a couple unprotected firsts, too.

Negative. Maybe 10. That’s a bad post. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Becauase they, like most other teams, are NOT sold on Wood.  He's a talented player, but even when he's played his best this year, it hasn't lead to wins.  He's a bench player.

Wood is a bench player only the extent you need instant offense off the bench. Like JET, and Terry was easily the 2nd best player on the team in ‘11. He was the 2nd best player before Kyrie (not even close) and absolutely a starter with a functional roster, which the Mavs did and do not have, and he’s a borderline All-Star. His lack of D is a majorly overrated theme. He absolutely should be extended at like a 4 for 72. Nobody on this team outside of Luka has really any playoff experience either, and he played on some terrible teams. 

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Neither of whom turn into cancer 

KD is absolutely a cancer. A better overall player in historical terms. A gloomy, aloof nut job that we would detest if he didn’t go to Texas. 

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Oh maybe that’s WHY you can’t ignore the personal stuff

I think I’ve qualified, time and again, that this ignores what we really can’t ignore. With his championship pedigree and the way he is shooting/scoring, he is a clear Top 10 player.  I’m fairly surprised that’s even disputed. And the personal stuff - that’s why I’m anxious to see him in another city. This guy isn’t Antonio Brown. 

Edited by Porterhouse

"And in my approach to leading I just want to do all the right things for myself, not to appease anybody.”

“For me, personally, sitting in this seat today, I just know I want to be in a place where I’m celebrated, and not just tolerated, or just, you know, kind of dealt with in a way that doesn’t make me feel respected”

“I left them in fourth place — I did what I was supposed to do. I took care of my teammates, was incredibly, incredibly selfless."

You can deal with stupid. You can deal with crazy. Dealing with stupid and crazy? Good luck. You would have thought Cuban would have learned from Rodman. Best part of his press conference was him lamenting he didn't do enough research on the Nets front office. You would have thought he was a pro at research with his whole vaccine expertise. 

7 minutes ago, Massive Horn said:

"And in my approach to leading I just want to do all the right things for myself, not to appease anybody.”

“For me, personally, sitting in this seat today, I just know I want to be in a place where I’m celebrated, and not just tolerated, or just, you know, kind of dealt with in a way that doesn’t make me feel respected”

“I left them in fourth place — I did what I was supposed to do. I took care of my teammates, was incredibly, incredibly selfless."

You can deal with stupid. You can deal with crazy. Dealing with stupid and crazy? Good luck. You would have thought Cuban would have learned from Rodman. Best part of his press conference was him lamenting he didn't do enough research on the Nets front office. You would have thought he was a pro at research with his whole vaccine expertise. 

I don’t care what he says. I care about how many games he shows up for and how he performs in those games. He can fucking blab to the press on how he believes a wormhole exists between Tel Aviv and Miami to transport Jews back and forth for all I care. I just care about his availability and effectiveness. 

46 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

With his championship pedigree and the way he is shooting/scoring, he is a clear Top 10 player.  I’m fairly surprised that’s even disputed.

I don’t know man…maybe you should take the fact that nobody agrees with you as a sign that you’re way off base with this take?

Not even talking about on this site. Not sure there is an NBA writer or exec that thinks of him as a top ten player. He’s never been first team all NBA. He’s was 2nd team exactly once, in 2019. He’s never received a single MVP vote. 

Here is a regularly updated list that the ringer keeps, and he’s 26. 

https://nbarankings.theringer.com/rankings

He’s fun as hell to watch when he’s cooking, I’ll give you that. But I’m not sure you’ve given good reason to justify why you think he’s a top ten NBA player at this moment. 

Edited by UncleSonny

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not even talking about on this site. Not sure there is an NBA writer or exec that thinks of him as a top ten player. He’s never been first team all NBA. He’s was 2nd team exactly once, in 2019. He’s never received a single MVP vote. 

Pretty sure only Jews vote for MVP. And just wait until Infowars and The Final Call get MVP votes. That will change real quick. 

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I don’t know man…maybe you should take the fact that nobody agrees with you as a sign that you’re way off base with this take?

He’s fun as hell to watch when he’s cooking, I’ll give you that. But I’m not sure you’ve given good reason to justify why you think he’s a top ten NBA player at this moment. 

He’s always second fiddle. That’s why he’ll never get an MVP vote or make all NBA first teams. Actually, the entire media is saying he’s a top 10 player with a few saying he’s top 5, including a poster here. I think that’s hyperbole and I almost went there earlier. I walked it back. 

44 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Might as well say Trae Young is a top 10 NBA player which is...not true.

Nets won 1 playoff series in four years.

And Mavs have won 2 in the same period. I guess Luka isn’t a Top 5 player in the league right now, then?  Because he is very much so. Kyrie won a title with a undermanned Cavs team with probably the best 1-2 punch in the league and they took out a dynasty to do so. The problem was sticking him with 2 other knuckleheads in KD and Harden. KD and KI are champions with the proper framework around them. Together they were mediocre at best. I’m anxious to see what Dallas does for KI and vice versa. Bottom line, I’m a big fan of this move because it’s, by far the biggest trade “get” Mavs have ever pulled off. And this league isn’t won with Dinwiddies and DFSs. It’s won at the top of the roster and smart pieces that fit as needed role players. It just so happens we need about 3-4 guys right now, but this was a huge step and by far the most important. 

27 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

If only we had a way to see what will happen without having to make bold stupid statements and predictions. Damn. 

Huh. I guess you’ve ruined @immamac‘s business plan. I mean, why are any of us here?  I will say I won’t be surprised if this blows up in our face, but the current roster was barely gonna crack .500 and that’s if Luka stayed healthy and hot. 

You do know he's an all star starter? There are ten of those.

7 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Kyrie won a title with a undermanned Cavs team with probably the best 1-2 punch in the league and they took out a dynasty to do so.  

And then 12 months later he forced a trade to Boston. And then the next season he had a season ending injury. And then the next season he quit on the Celtics during a 4-1 ass  kicking. And then the next season he had a season ending injury. And then the next season he missed the final 3 games of the 7 games series against Milwaukee. And then the next season he opted to quit on his team rather than being vaccinated, although he was reliable enough to make it back for a 4 game sweep by the Celtics. And then this season he was suspended and forced another trade.

The problem was sticking him with 2 other knuckleheads in KD and Harden.

This is such a laughably asinine take on Kyrie’s “problem” I assume even you don’t believe it. KD and Harden must have telepathically blown up all of his other seasons. No, Kyrie’s problem is of the deeply personal variety.

I will say I won’t be surprised if this blows up in our face

Look at that, you finally stumbled on the right conclusion. Whether Kyrie has top 10 talent in his body isn’t even a debate worth having. He will flame out here like everywhere else.

14 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yea.  Availability is a talent. For now I don’t have to worry about SGA, Tatum or Brown sitting out because he’s sulking

Statistically Kyrie has been a top 15 player this season but he isn't one of the 15 best players when it comes to making the team he's on better. I'd argue he was the 3 most valuable player on the Nets behind Claxton. He puts up high efficiency scoring numbers which inflate his advanced metrics despite not adding all that much win probability. The Nets were 8-4 without him and like 4-6 with him and without KD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

That's a dumb post and you should feel bad for making it. The ten starters are not the ten best players b/c they are restricted by conference affiliation and position. C'mon man.

regardless, he was a top 10 vote getter.  

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

You got me. Where did he rank at the Kids Choice Awards?

you said no one, not even limited to this site, thought he was a top 10.  millions of people voted for him as a top 10 player.  the players themselves ranked him as the best guard in the east.  

look this is one of those arguments where there's no consensus on even what metric to use to compare players much less a consensus on a list.  i get being comfortable in your opinion but you're much too sure of it.  

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

regardless, he was a top 10 vote getter.  

you said no one, not even limited to this site, thought he was a top 10.  millions of people voted for him as a top 10 player.  the players themselves ranked him as the best guard in the east.  

look this is one of those arguments where there's no consensus on even what metric to use to compare players much less a consensus on a list.  i get being comfortable in your opinion but you're much too sure of it.  

Oh, I didn't realize you were literally incapable of understanding. Carry on.

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

And then 12 months later he forced a trade to Boston. And then the next season he had a season ending injury. And then the next season he quit on the Celtics during a 4-1 ass  kicking. And then the next season he had a season ending injury. And then the next season he missed the final 3 games of the 7 games series against Milwaukee. And then the next season he opted to quit on his team rather than being vaccinated, although he was reliable enough to make it back for a 4 game sweep by the Celtics. And then this season he was suspended and forced another trade.

This is such a laughably asinine take on Kyrie’s “problem” I assume even you don’t believe it. KD and Harden must have telepathically blown up all of his other seasons. No, Kyrie’s problem is of the deeply personal variety.

Look at that, you finally stumbled on the right conclusion. Whether Kyrie has top 10 talent in his body isn’t even a debate worth having. He will flame out here like everywhere else.

Dude, stop using fucking facts that I either am too lazy to verify or had forgotten with me. I don’t want to hear it. The problem was with Cleveland, Boston and Brooklyn. It will be different now in Dallas. The earth is flat, except for the Grassy Knoll.