bitterwhiteguy is quitting writing because chris beard is killing his joy

shadow_operative

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s a bitch-made pussy.

I like where your heads at.

1 hour ago, BurgleBro said:

And regardless of how many are high on hoops Kool aid he's 100% right about the non conf scheduling being a joke.  To deny that is sec football aggieesque IMO.  

Having a coach with a fairly proven blueprint for making deep tourney runs couldn't be further from aggy. It literally took Beard one season with a bunch of transfers and lunch-pail guys to get us further in the tournament than the previous fuckstick did in his entire six-year tenure. Anyone complaining about the non-con schedule or the offense is missing the forest for the trees. Beard is here to fuck and he's here to fuck long and hard. The program will sell itself (or not, if you're someone like BWG) - Beard's job is to win tourney games. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Ok so I double checked and Tennessee is actually #11. So of the top 11 teams in the preseason top 25 we have three teams on our schedule plus four games against Kansas and Baylor. So oh no! We only have 7 games against teams ranked higher than us in the preseason top 25!!111

Granted I am not a basketball guy but explain how that schedule is joke and thinking it isn't is sec football only scheduling FCS schools type thinking. What the fuck is Bitterwhiteguy talking about? Does he want to intentionally engineer a losing record? I guess at least our RPI would be high as we entered the NIT. But that is a Shaka type season, granted.

Edited by Valmy77

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Texas_Longhorns_men's_basketball_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Texas_Longhorns_men's_basketball_team

Is the non-con noticeably worse than those years? Looks the same to me.  I don't recall BWG crushing Shaka for these schedules. Brave Shaka dared to face the gauntlet of the Maui Invitational!  But then again, he also didn't put a modicum of blame on Shaka's shoulders for anything ever. It was all bad luck and tough breaks. Even Abilene Christian was just a big bummer aw shucks unlucky thing that happened to a really good coach.

Conversely he criticized the new staff relentessly as we marched to our first tournament victory in just under a decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

The dude is fucked in the head and has been for awhile. Some of you seem confused and are attempting to argue against his reasoning and I'll tell you to save the characters. Nothing he writes makes any sense. He's a total hack whether it's intentional or not. 

I'm not trying to judge the guy because I've fought my own battles in similar arenas (granted I've never been near as delusional), but I'm plenty comfortable calling a spade a spade. There is clearly something broken upstairs for him and maybe he finally realized that and decided to take a step back. At least, that's what I'm hoping he decided. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Why are you giving him the attention? Don't feed the trolls, Derka.

he deserves to be called out for his bitchassness. if he was just some guy who genuinely loved the horns and loved to write, then hey, who cares? but he's not that. he hates Texas, he hates our coach, he hates our success, and he's a holier than thou know-it-all who will tell you to your face that he is superior to you, despite him being one of the least knowledgeable basketball fans i've ever seen. oh and he's as charming as a yeast infection. fuck em. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

I'll miss his writing style.  It cracked me up. 

And regardless of how many are high on hoops Kool aid he's 100% right about the non conf scheduling being a joke.  To deny that is sec football aggieesque IMO.  

we have a pretty good non conference schedule. we play no.2 Gonzaga, no.9 Creighton, no.11 Tennessee, and no.23 Illinois. that's pretty salty. besides which, we hadn't experienced winning a tourney game for eight long years before beard's debut season, and bwg has spent more time and effort bitching about the non conference schedule than he ever did celebrating the fact that we'd finally ended our tourney drought. bwg is the worst. 

he's now on twitter openly fantasizing about Texas losing to A&M Commerce. i don't understand how he still claims to be a Texas fan at this point. Shaka being our HC and the results that came with him brought BWG joy; Chris Beard being our HC and the results that come with him somehow sucks the joy out of his life. how on earth does he still see himself as a Texas Basketball fan? that's so bizarre. 

the craziest/saddest part to me are the couple dozen people who subscribe to him and actively follow him on twitter, believing that he's a credible, reasonable, knowledgeable writer. the funniest part about that though is that damn near all of those people started off their goodbye messages with, "i don't actually watch or care about basketball, but I love my Horns, and gee you sure are a great writer who's taught me a lot about Texas Basketball." LOL

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

The dude is fucked in the head and has been for awhile. Some of you seem confused and are attempting to argue against his reasoning and I'll tell you to save the characters. Nothing he writes makes any sense. He's a total hack whether it's intentional or not. 

I'm not trying to judge the guy because I've fought my own battles in similar arenas (granted I've never been near as delusional), but I'm plenty comfortable calling a spade a spade. There is clearly something broken upstairs for him and maybe he finally realized that and decided to take a step back. At least, that's what I'm hoping he decided. 

Ok I didn't know he was going through stuff.

I will just ignore him then. I am just really tired of Texas playin well in the early year then being mediocre in conference play and then sucking when it really matters. His weird obsession with November and December scheduling triggered me. Who the hell cares if we don't get our annual delusion fueling game against UNC? We want Big 12 and tournament success!

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok I didn't know he was going through stuff.

I will just ignore him then. I am just really tired of Texas playin well in the early year then being mediocre in conference play and then sucking when it really matters. His weird obsession with November and December scheduling triggered me. Who the hell cares if we don't get our annual delusion fueling game against UNC? We want Big 12 and tournament success!

especially when scheduling cupcakes is all a part of chris beard's philosophy, something that has paid off for him time and again. the way he coaches he's essentially bullring a new team every year. fuck how they look in november and december, all he cares about is that they're an extremely tough out in march. if your program is constantly returning a bunch of upperclassmen and all conference talent then sure, give yourself a brutal ooc schedule and cut your teeth early in the season. that's great. but when you're building a new roster and integrating new players/young players/transfers every year, go ahead and let them have some room to screw up, learn, and ultimately grow before the calendar turns and the games start to actually matter.

i mean it would be one thing if the practice was done out of cowardice or a desire to not leave the Austin area (cough, Duke, cough), but this is just straight up intelligent, pragmatic coaching- a practice that sets up chris beard's teams for postseason success. what kind of fan has beef with that? ztejas might be right- dude might actually have a few screws loose, and not in no funny way. it would legit explain his completely illogical behavior over the last 4-5 years. 

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

especially when scheduling cupcakes is all a part of chris beard's philosophy, something that has paid off for him time and again. the way he coaches he's essentially bullring a new team every year. fuck how they look in november and december, all he cares about is that they're an extremely tough out in march. if your program is constantly returning a bunch of upperclassmen and all conference talent then sure, give yourself a brutal ooc schedule and cut your teeth early in the season. that's great. but when you're building a new roster and integrating new players/young players/transfers every year, go ahead and let them have some room to screw up, learn, and ultimately grow before the calendar turns and the games start to actually matter.

i mean it would be one thing if the practice was done out of cowardice or a desire to not leave the Austin area (cough, Duke, cough), but this is just straight up intelligent, pragmatic coaching- a practice that sets up chris beard's teams for postseason success. what kind of fan has beef with that? ztejas might be right- dude might actually have a few screws loose, and not in no funny way. it would legit explain his completely illogical behavior over the last 4-5 years. 

Yeah, a lot of Tech fans voiced the same complaints with regard to weak non-con scheduling, but I think it's absolutely fine, even advantageous toward helping your team gel a bit without much pressure involved. Toss in some decent opponents in exhibition tourneys or what have you and it's pretty decent honing for the conference schedule. The only way it's going to hurt you as far as getting in the tournament goes is if you're a bubble team on that razor edge at the end of the year, so I don't think it matters much.

Hey, I'd like to schedule all top 25 teams all the time and just let it rip 1 year to see what it would look like. That feels like it would be incredible but it's probably a terrible idea.

Also, one year I'd like the entire OOC schedule to be nothing but teams from the Missouri Valley Conference or from the Horizon league or some other mid major- half the games at home and half the games on the road. I think it would be fascinating to see what a quality high major conference team would do with all the games against a mid major conference.  I can't imagine either ever happening, and this schedule seems representative of how it's always been.  

Are we not in a tourney this year? what's the rule on that- every other year?  Every 4 years?

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hey, I'd like to schedule all top 25 teams all the time and just let it rip 1 year to see what it would look like. That feels like it would be incredible but it's probably a terrible idea.

Also, one year I'd like the entire OOC schedule to be nothing but teams from the Missouri Valley Conference or from the Horizon league or some other mid major- half the games at home and half the games on the road. I think it would be fascinating to see what a quality high major conference team would do with all the games against a mid major conference.  I can't imagine either ever happening, and this schedule seems representative of how it's always been.  

Are we not in a tourney this year? what's the rule on that- every other year?  Every 4 years?

Ya'll are in at least a couple this year. There's no rule on it afaik, they're just by invitation.

I was going to say I can't wait to see how BWG spins being ranked 2nd in the preseason KenPom and top 15 in the preseason AP poll as bad, but it turns out that he sees the writing on the wall and wants to quit before having to write praise for Chris Beard. And I say this as someone who agrees with his take about Arterio being under punished

The whole "weak noncon schedule" argument is silly.  Bottom line, a team is gonna have to win 18+ games to get into the NCAA tournament.  When the fixed conference schedule is as tough as ours is, then there have to be some cupcakes added in just to make things reasonable.

For example, Sagarin had our 2021-2022 schedule ranked #22.  He might not be everybody's cup of tea, but I don't think #22 is far off.  We played plenty of tough teams, and many of those more than once.  Give it a rest on the noncon.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ya'll are in at least a couple this year. There's no rule on it afaik, they're just by invitation.

So, I looked it up (as of 2017 with the article I read) and there is a rule that you can only play 2 exempt tournaments every 4 years.  Exempt tournaments are called that b/c any games you play were considered to be exempt from your normal scheduling limits back in the 80's and 90's (Great Alaska shootout, Hawaii were the two main ones back then).  But, now those games count toward your regular schedule anyway and they upped the limits of what you can play, so it's pretty much a relic of days gone by. I'm getting to be old man yelling at the clouds territory unable to keep up with new rules for shit like this and going off what I vaguely remember from years ago.  

Also- am I missing something or is the Jimmy V classic just Texas playing 1 game against Illinois and Duke playing 1 game against Iowa or whoever and then going home?  Or is that an actual event where winners plays winner and loser plays loser?

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, I looked it up (as of 2017 with the article I read) and there is a rule that you can only play 2 exempt tournaments every 4 years.  Exempt tournaments are called that b/c any games you play were considered to be exempt from your normal scheduling limits back in the 80's and 90's (Great Alaska shootout, Hawaii were the two main ones back then).  But, now those games count toward your regular schedule anyway and they upped the limits of what you can play, so it's pretty much a relic of days gone by. I'm getting to be old man yelling at the clouds territory unable to keep up with new rules for shit like this and going off what I vaguely remember from years ago.  

Also- am I missing something or is the Jimmy V classic just Texas playing 1 game against Illinois and Duke playing 1 game against Iowa or whoever and then going home?  Or is that an actual event where winners plays winner and loser plays loser?

Ah ok. I had no idea about the rules.

And yeah IIRC the Jimmy V classic is not a tourney, just a couple exhibition games.

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No, you are correct. Two separate games with no winners facing off. We play Illinois and go home.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

bwg suffers from a severe case of Shakholm Syndrome. 

This actually kind of nails it. Mr. Guy is not fucked in the head or going through things.  You don't need rumors about his mental health to explain his takes. I found a post I wrote in the Shaka thread in March of this year after Shaka's latest humilation. Won't quote it but It's on this page if you want to read it:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/19896-point-and-laugh-at-shaka-smart/page/19/

He adores Shaka, and has disliked Beard for years. I wish I could find that article I dug up where BWG saw Shaka speak at a coaching clinic and just gushed about how great he was going to be at Texas. Can't remember what thread I posted that in. 

It's also funny that he's shitting on potential victories over make-a-wish kids, but never once criticized Shaka for any one of the number of games he played against those teams and LOST. Or barely won.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure there's anyone who drives more discussion about Texas basketball than bwg. This thread is another exhibit of that. As a slut for activity over quality, I'm going to miss him. I certainly have rarely driven the amount of discussion he does. 

Probably if I went all in on some hot takes that would help. Dillon Mitchell is going to be a starter, and a one and done first round draft choice. Arterio Morris is going to have his charges dropped and face no public consequence for his mistakes, and will be a huge contributor to the team this year. Texas will finish in the top 3 in the Big 12, and make it to at least the Sweet Sixteen. Tyrese Hunter will be the best Texas PG since DJ Augustin. 

I don't know. Those don't sound very exciting to me. I don't think I'm very good at this. 

Your takes can't be self-evidently true like that. They have to be stupid enough to anger some people but possible enough for other people to defend them as gospel.

Also you have to have some credibility like be on the radio or get people to pay you $9.95 or something. Like when Ketchum proclaimed he knew Texas recruiting better than Mack Brown did (Mack, who I remind you, routinely killed himself in Florida doing it), it wouldn't have made many waves if he didn't have tons of people paying him $9.95 and his own radio show.

Edited by Valmy77

54 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Your takes can't be self-evidently true like that. They have to be stupid enough to anger some people but possible enough for other people to defend them as gospel.

Also you have to have some credibility like be on the radio or get people to pay you $9.95 or something. Like when Ketchum proclaimed he knew Texas recruiting better than Mack Brown did (Mack, who I remind you, routinely killed himself in Florida doing it), it wouldn't have made many waves if he didn't have tons of people paying him $9.95 and his own radio show.

Yeah, I'm being facetious. 

I will point out there are plenty of people who are terrific at driving discussion who don't have the credibility of being on the radio or writing a column. There are people on here who are good at it. My Dad was one of the best I've ever seen when it came to football (a myriad of other subjects too, but on Longhorn boards it was football).

If I ever drive discussion it tends to be when I take an unpopular position. Which happens, but I have to feel convicted about it, rather than manufacture it for the sake of discussion. Like the saying goes, if you want an answer on the internet, don't ask a question. Give the wrong answer. 

I'll say this. I never felt like bwg was manufacturing an opinion to provoke discussion. I think he truly dislikes Chris Beard for personal reasons, and just about everything about him. So he gave Shaka Smart every benefit of the doubt, and he goes out of his way to find fault with Beard. None of my concern. Like I said, my biggest thing about him is he drives discussion.

Look at all the posts that Gerry Hamilton makes that people repost here. He's by far the best person to cover Texas basketball since I've been following the team, which is about 5 decades. He doesn't drive discussion nearly as much as bwg because there's little controversy in what he posts. That's never been his M.O.. Or look at derka/shadow operative. He's awesome at driving discussion much of the time because he's so ridiculously passionate, and he's clever about supporting his positions in various ways. But it is helpful when he's taking something of a controversial stance, for example at times when he defends Rick Barnes' record. Not taking a swipe at shadow operative here. Just pointing it out. 

The best thing for me to drive discussion would be for Beard to lose enough games and preferably to lose them in such a way that other people start having doubts about his competence, while managing the program overall in ways that I find easy to support. But frankly all the key people I respect the most on this board for their basketball takes seem to be aligned with how I view things. It's more casual fans that mostly come out of the woodwork after a loss that I seem to have the greatest differences with in those scenarios. At least that's how it was last year. 

21 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

I'll miss his writing style.  It cracked me up. 

4 nonconference games against top 25 teams is a joke? 

It's funny you bring up "aggieesque." They play zero top 25 AP teams in nonconference. Our non-conference schedule is nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Chris Beard fucking BWG’s girlfriend in college or something would cause this to make a lot more sense and put the cherry on top of the whole BWG saga.

i think we should just operate under this assumption until proven otherwise.  now THAT will drive discussion!