bitterwhiteguy is quitting writing because chris beard is killing his joy

shadow_operative

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Stumbled across this thread. Didn’t know who BWG was. Googled him. Realized he’s a nobody who writes for nobody. And is probably in his mom’s basement. Wondering why there’s so much attention being paid to this nobody. What am I missing? Can I enrage Aggies everywhere by just writing garbage too? I’m intrigued. 

I didn't understand it, either. 

What I've pieced together since then is that he used to be the basketball writer for Barking Carnival when that was a thing. While Barking Carnival wasn't massive, it had arguably the best writers in UT fandom, many of whom have gone on to Inside Texas/On3 and now have made that the best UT affiliated premium web service. 

He was an adamant Shaka Smart supporter with a platform, which made him a target for fans on surly/shaggy who were tired of putting up with Smart's shit. Apparently he even joined the site at one time to go mano a mano with his detractors but apparently bugged out at some point. Which makes me sad. 

Anyway, Barking Carnival is dead. bitterwhiteguy has no home. He posts on substack. He used to contribute to a podcast, but I guess he's not doing that any more. The only UT community I know that's supportive of him is Longhorn Nation on Reddit. 

What I do know is that he's gifted at provoking people's ire. Not just here, although I think he gets the most activity on this board. But the other UT sites will have links to his articles, and threads devoted to what an idiot he is. 

One thing I know from following message boards for 30 years is that telling people to ignore trolls just doesn't work. Maybe it should. I don't know. But it certainly doesn't. You can have any number of people having a reasonable discussion on a topic - for months, even - but throw one troll in the midst of them and the conversation becomes driven by that one troll. It's something about how our brains are wired. We're not changing it. Individuals can ignore other individuals, but if you get a community together and one outlier appears among them bound and determined to seek attention, they're going to get it come hell or high water. 

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i had a buddy (RIP) who was a marine, and then a cop, and eventually he was one of the guys who trained everyone who became Travis County SWAT. and he told me this story about how one night, and he and this other trainer/instructor were at a bar, and they ended up talking up some guy who happened to be sitting next to them. eventually, this guy started running his mouth and bragging about how he was some Travis County SWAT Team badass. they let him just keep talking for awhile, but eventually my late buddy's pal was just seeing red, and reaching his breaking point, he just shouted at the guy that he needed to shut the fuck up and leave immediately. my buddy's friend was at his absolute breaking point.

that's where i am with @SizzleChest (in case you hadn't noticed). i would literally physically fight you @SizzleChest if we were in person right now, and i've gone to a lot of therapy to help me be less violent. you don't get to harass me for years and years and years, only to turn around and tell me that i should just ignore bwg if i don't like him. fuck you. some of the lowest moments of life were because of you and people like you. fuck you in your goddamn face for telling me to leave this dude alone. goddamnit that makes me angry. seriously- fuck you. 

1) I think you’re way off base with these takes.

2) Best wishes and sincerely hopeful for wellness for you.  Cheers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Stumbled across this thread. Didn’t know who BWG was. Googled him. Realized he’s a nobody who writes for nobody. And is probably in his mom’s basement. Wondering why there’s so much attention being paid to this nobody. What am I missing? Can I enrage Aggies everywhere by just writing garbage too? I’m intrigued. 

I disagree with this take. He was on The Horn a bunch of times, and had that podcast Pretend we are Football and was on barking carnival. I had read his stuff for a long time and considered him a fairly prominant commentator in the Texas Basketball space...such as it is.

Too bad he lost his damn mind about Beard. It was nice having a dude whose only thing was Texas basketball.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well nothing else is going on with the basketball team right now. Once we see them play UTEP we won't be thinking about this dude anymore.

Maybe? If you think there isn't going to be any more activity on this board surrounding bitterwhiteguy, I'd say you haven't been paying attention. Either to this board or what that guy is capable of. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see another Morris hit piece of his on a Gonzaga site either before or after we play them...or both. Certainly for Illinois we'll see something. 

He has his crusade. He's going to try to use this to shame people for supporting Chris Beard. It's patently obvious in neon letters. People are going to give him a platform because it's a lightning rod issue. Talented athlete who is a known woman beater getting away with it, assisted by a win at all costs coach. He'll post the old social media screenshots from the Texas Tech guy's twitter, and that will be enough to generate indignation from whatever fan base he's trying to appeal to. 

The idea this board is just going to ignore him is farcical. 

That said, it will be nice to see the team play again and be able to talk about that. The season is going to be fun to follow. bwg can't change that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I disagree with this take. He was on The Horn a bunch of times, and had that podcast Pretend we are Football and was on barking carnival. I had read his stuff for a long time and considered him a fairly prominant commentator in the Texas Basketball space...such as it is.

Too bad he lost his damn mind about Beard. It was nice having a dude whose only thing was Texas basketball.

Pretend we are Football was still going until a couple of months ago or so. bwg said he was pulling the plug on it and the other guys didn't have any interest in continuing it. I'm with you. It's nice having someone whose only thing is Texas basketball. Too bad he turned out to be so dedicated to being wrong. Maybe someone else will take up the mantle at some point. shadow_operative could probably do it. Invite Sizzle Chest on for his first podcast.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Any surly pre-law know if Morris and/or Beard has a legitimate case for a defamation suit here? I’d assume Bellmont doesn’t exactly fuck around with shit like this, especially if/when he writes his next bullshit article. @Bitterwhiteguy

They’ll be filing that one right after bitterwhiteguy files his suit against surly for all the mean things said here.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Loop 1604 said:

Any surly pre-law know if Morris and/or Beard has a legitimate case for a defamation suit here? I’d assume Bellmont doesn’t exactly fuck around with shit like this, especially if/when he writes his next bullshit article. @Bitterwhiteguy

For starters, it would be slander, not defamation, because the content was written/printed instead of spoken.

Second, Beard and Morris are public figures, which grants the writer a great deal more latitude in his comments and criticisms than if they were not in the public eye.

Third, in order to win a slander lawsuit, plaintiff must prove malicious intent, which is incredibly difficult to do in a court of law.

"But your honor, it was all hyperbole for humor's sake. I was just tryna be funny."

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

For starters, it would be slander, not defamation, because the content was written/printed instead of spoken.

You mean slander vs. libel. And you mean libel instead of slander. Defamation covers both. 

But yes, no one is suing some loser whose main audience is people shitting on him. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

What I've pieced together since then is that he used to be the basketball writer for Barking Carnival when that was a thing. While Barking Carnival wasn't massive, it had arguably the best writers in UT fandom, many of whom have gone on to Inside Texas/On3 and now have made that the best UT affiliated premium web service. 

He was an adamant Shaka Smart supporter with a platform, which made him a target for fans on surly/shaggy who were tired of putting up with Smart's shit. Apparently he even joined the site at one time to go mano a mano with his detractors but apparently bugged out at some point. Which makes me sad. 

Anyway, Barking Carnival is dead. bitterwhiteguy has no home. He posts on substack. He used to contribute to a podcast, but I guess he's not doing that any more. The only UT community I know that's supportive of him is Longhorn Nation on Reddit. 

What I do know is that he's gifted at provoking people's ire. Not just here, although I think he gets the most activity on this board. But the other UT sites will have links to his articles, and threads devoted to what an idiot he is. 

One thing I know from following message boards for 30 years is that telling people to ignore trolls just doesn't work. Maybe it should. I don't know. But it certainly doesn't. You can have any number of people having a reasonable discussion on a topic - for months, even - but throw one troll in the midst of them and the conversation becomes driven by that one troll. It's something about how our brains are wired. We're not changing it. Individuals can ignore other individuals, but if you get a community together and one outlier appears among them bound and determined to seek attention, they're going to get it come hell or high water. 

Maybe you should try to ignore the trolls because the more attention you pay them, the more they are going to post.  Quit starting threads and posting about these trolls and maybe they will go away. If you think that he is "gifted" at provoking people, it's because people let him.

Ketch is such a stupid, worthless piece of shit. Is the concept of being a fan lost on him? Or what a rivalry is? Why the fuck would a team's fanbase put one of its players on blast? That's OU and aggy's job. Just like it's our job to hyperbolize their player's transgressions. 

Do these limp-dicked cucks even enjoy it when Texas wins? Fucking A, man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Relevant to the discussion…

What is he being shielded from? The woman herself took down the social media posts and doesn't want to talk about it. If anyone is shielding him, it's her.

If she's not willing to talk about it, what is UT or the basketball program supposed to do?

I'm not an idiot. I realize there could have been something done behind the scenes in terms of a payoff or something else to encourage her to not want to talk about it. But I don't know anything like that happened. Maybe it did. Maybe it didn't.

How about these questions? What was someone 5 years his senior doing dating a kid still in high school? Why did she continue to date him after he proposed to her with a ring and everything while he was still in high school? Why did she say she laughed in his face when he proposed and he continued to insist they were engaged to other people? Why didn't she tell her younger sister they were having issues and not to let him in her apartment? 

From her posts it sounds like he made some very bad decisions after she told him she wanted to see other people after he had left for Austin to join the basketball team. But for all the very bad decisions he made, he didn't physically abuse her. It doesn't sound like he was physically abusive at any point during their relationship. If anything, she makes it sound like he was a little kid trying to act like a grown man, but not quite cutting it. More than anything, it appears to me she just wants him to go away more than actually being scared of him. The way she made it sound, she went nuclear on social media because a lot of people who knew them both tried to say she was trying to ruin his basketball career by calling the cops on him. She even stated if he had just apologized to her and acknowledged he acted poorly she would have pulled the restraining order. Instead he acted like he did nothing wrong and it was all her fault, so she made the posts to set the record straight...to her 70k+ subscribers on Instagram and 50k+ on other social media platforms. 

At the end of the day he pulled her bra so hard it left a laceration from her bra strap. That is the one thing we absolutely have to go on. The rest of it is a one sided version of a story that the person deleted and will no longer acknowledge. 

If this happened to an OU or A&M player I guarantee you I'd be making some kind of noise about those schools for keeping that player on the roster. Probably mostly in my head, because it's not something I really campaign about, but I'd have a negative view of the whole thing because I hate those schools and love rooting against them. I fully expect for other fan bases - especially Texas Tech - to have it out for the kid, the program, the head coach, and the school. 

But when someone like bwg starts going into why he thinks this is such a big deal, his argument completely falls apart. His comparison to the Pitt player, Dior Johnson, is completely laughable. That guy is charged with strangling a woman who he kept imprisoned in his apartment on the Pitt campus, hanging up her phone when she tried to dial 911, and hanging up the phone the 3 times 911 tried to call back. Because he's charged with a couple of felonies, it's automatically a suspension based on school policy. Morris is charged with a misdemeanor assault that's almost certainly going to be dismissed at some point. 

Ketch is famous for putting stuff out there to get clicks. This looks like something similar. I'd love to see him try to defend his implied stance that more should be done about Morris. "The charges made against him...." There's one charge. One. He pulled her bra so hard it left lacerations from her bra strap. That's what we're screaming bloody murder about? Because if it is, I disagree that's enough to kick a kid off the team and out of school. I'm not saying it's right. The kid should have a short leash. I'm just saying it's not the automatic decision some folks seem to want it to be. If there's more we're screaming bloody murder about, then what is that? The posts she made on social media and has since taken down? Because if she's not going to stand by what she posted, what leg does the university have to stand on for kicking him out? Chris Beard is supposed to kick him off the team for social media posts that don't exist any more other than archived versions? That makes absolutely no sense to me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Dude you’re a good poster but when was the last time you stepped outside and touched grass? Your post length is probably by Randolph Duke went MIA, no one can compete 

It's not a competition? My post length has always been like this. For the last 30 years, since the GoBig12 days. It is the way it is. FWIW I like reading longer posts as well. I've never understood the obsession with making shorter posts, but I acknowledge people see the value. I type fast and I read fast. That post took, what, a couple of minutes to type? People act as if it takes half a day to compose a few paragraphs. It's not that big of a deal. Plus most of my posts are from my phone, although these two aren't. What are you looking for, exactly? Because other than skipping my posts, I don't have much of a solution for you.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ok bro. Get a life? You’re way too invested in this 18 year old’s drama.  

It's all entertainment. If I wasn't entertained I wouldn't post about it. Is there some part of you that thinks you're changing my behavior? I mean, keep at this all you want. I'll have plenty of posts about Arterio Morris as the season goes. Feel free to respond to them all. I'll even patch you in @Js1 so you'll know to come comment about how I need to get a life after each one if that will help you. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Haha 1

Should there be a new thread regarding Arterio Morris's arrest? This isn't going to go away. 

Here's an AP article just released 40 minutes ago:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/texas-g-morris-still-to-play-amid-misdemeanor-assault-case/

Spoiler

Texas G Morris still to play amid misdemeanor assault case

Nov. 3, 2022 at 3:17 pm

By 
The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas freshman Arterio Morris remains eligible to play while prosecutors decide whether to pursue a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from an alleged summer altercation the player had with an ex-girlfriend, coach Chris Beard said Thursday.

Morris was not suspended after his June 2 arrest, and Beard said there has been no change in his status as the No. 12 Longhorns prepare for Monday night’s season opener against UTEP.

Morris was a top national recruit coming out of Dallas. The guard led Texas with 19 points in an exhibition win over No. 10 Arkansas last week.

“Arterio continues to do what he’s supposed to do on a day-to-day basis here,” Beard said. “We’re holding all of our players accountable for what they are supposed to be doing, but in terms of that situation I can’t comment. I’ve been asked not to comment on it. As soon as we know something, we’ll let you guys know.”

Jamie Beck, first assistant district attorney for Denton County, said prosecutors there are still reviewing whether to pursue charges.

Beck said her office only recently received the case and the delay from the June 2 arrest is not an indication whether the case will proceed or be recommended for dismissal.

ADVERTISING

Morris declined comment Thursday.

“We maintain his innocence, just as we have from the outset,” said Morris’ attorney, Justin Moore.

According to Frisco police, Morris was arrested after officers were called to the ex-girlfriend’s house. She told police she and Morris had broken up the day before and that a relative who didn’t know about the breakup let him inside.

The woman told police Morris grabbed her arm and pulled her off a bed, then grabbed the front of her sports bra, which she said caused in a injury on her neck.

Police reported seeing a 3-inch abrasion on the woman’s neck and arrested Morris on a charge of assault causing injury to a family member, which includes dating relationships in Texas. The charge is a Class A misdemeanor that carries up to one year in jail and up to $4,000 in fines if convicted.

Morris was released from the Denton County jail on June 3 after posting a $3,500 bond. He was allowed to remain on the team and Texas officials said then the matter was turned over to the campus Title IX office.

Morris declined to say Thursday if he has met with the school’s Title IX investigators.

ADVERTISING

“The appropriate people are working on it, pretty much on a daily basis,” Beard said. “The University of Texas is making those decisions.”

Beard was asked if it’s his decision to determine his roster, or if he’s received instructions from the university administration on Morris.

“I can’t talk about this situation,” Beard said. “This in the hands of the people that I work for at the university.”

Texas spokesman Brian Davis said, “The university does not comment on student matters.”

__

More AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25

JIM VERTUNO

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It's not a competition? My post length has always been like this. For the last 30 years, since the GoBig12 days. It is the way it is. FWIW I like reading longer posts as well. I've never understood the obsession with making shorter posts, but I acknowledge people see the value. I type fast and I read fast. That post took, what, a couple of minutes to type? People act as if it takes half a day to compose a few paragraphs. It's not that big of a deal. Plus most of my posts are from my phone, although these two aren't. What are you looking for, exactly? Because other than skipping my posts, I don't have much of a solution for you.

Perfect example. Instead of this wall of text including the details of what medium was used, you could have just written “go fuck yourself”. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

Perfect example. Instead of this wall of text including the details of what medium was used, you could have just written “go fuck yourself”. 

That wouldn't have conveyed what I meant, though. 

The same way here. I could tell you to go fuck yourself, but that would indicate a level of caring I don't actually possess. 

There's a part of me that actually likes Ketchum in ways other people don't share. He's a flawed personality, but then so am I. I remember when he was interning at KEYE insisting on covering local high school football and football recruiting when no one else was paying that close attention to it. He used to post on GoBig12 whenever he had a recruiting nugget regarding an Austin area recruit. He gave a friend of mine an opportunity to get back in the recruiting business on my recommendation. I appreciate him for that. 

Nonetheless I read this tweet of his and it screams trying to get attention rather than any kind of conviction. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's how it comes across to me. 

This kind of rhetoric is only going to get worse and more frequent the closer to/deeper we get into the season. This is why I suggested the course of action I did in the Morris thread. It's going to pop up all year and it's a bad look to hide behind lawyers right now, even if that's objectively the thing you HAVE to do from a legal standpoint. The court of public opinion is only going to clamp down harder (depends on your perspective how important that is). Also, god forbid if something else happens to come to light (and I hope that what we've learned so far is all there is), literally all hell will break loose.

If you disagree, that's fine but try and take a step back to look at it from an outsider's perspective, especially someone that isn't as online as all of us are. People are going to ask more and more questions, and if every question is met with "we've been asked not to discuss it", that is not going to look good.

Also, the frequent rebuttal here is she took down the social media posts. That probably doesn't mean what you think, victims often do that sort of thing and go silent to shield themselves from harassment, which hopefully hasn't happened to her in this case.

e: There's a few posts in this thread that are borderline victim blaming or even crossing that line a little at times. Think about what you say.

Edited by Brian Fantana

5 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Relevant to the discussion…

Has A&M or OU never done this? It's basketball. I don't recall us ever screaming to the rafters about this for any of their players. Any why is he being hypothetical? Has A&M and OU only ever has had perfect choir boys so he has no examples? Besides I thought he had already served his time and all this happened before he came here. What are we shielding him from? 

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Has A&M or OU never done this? It's basketball. I don't recall us ever screaming to the rafters about this for any of their players. Any why is he being hypothetical? Has A&M and OU only ever has had perfect choir boys so he has no examples? Besides I thought he had already served his time and all this happened before he came here. What are we shielding him from? 

A&M had a player arrested for class A misdemeanor assault on a family member before this season and suspended him for the entire season pending legal process.

The only example I can think of for OU is Mixon who also missed an entire season pending legal process. Though I think the process took 2 years for him?

IIRC, Morris was arrested after enrolling.

25 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This kind of rhetoric is only going to get worse and more frequent the closer to/deeper we get into the season. This is why I suggested the course of action I did in the Morris thread. It's going to pop up all year and it's a bad look to hide behind lawyers right now, even if that's objectively the thing you HAVE to do from a legal standpoint. The court of public opinion is only going to clamp down harder (depends on your perspective how important that is). Also, god forbid if something else happens to come to light (and I hope that what we've learned so far is all there is), literally all hell will break loose.

Fuck the court of public opinion and fuck a lynchmob mentality. This is about justice and accountability. If Morris did something that the authorities are not aware of and UT is indeed shielding him and withholding information than everybody should probably be fired with cause. And probably will. And if they care that little about their careers and are that idiotically reckless than good riddance to all of them. I believe in CDC but that would be criminally incompetent and dangerously reckless. Why endanger a huge financial enterprise like UT for one player? Yet the claim is being made that this is happening with no evidence provided. 

If they aren't and everything has been transparent then what is it that UT is supposed to do? He either can play or he can't. I thought he was a child and did some dumb shit and got picked up by the cops and served whatever punishment was deserved. I hate this mentality that somehow real justice needs to be done by arbitrary mobs who don't know the specifics of the situation. I don't give a fuck what the "court of public opinion" rules, that court is unjust and arbitrary and can go fuck itself. I want facts not bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

A&M had a player arrested for class A misdemeanor assault on a family member before this season and suspended him for the entire season pending legal process.

The only example I can think of for OU is Mixon who also missed an entire season pending legal process. Though I think the process took 2 years for him?

I don't recall screaming to any rafters about that. I thought the legal process around Morris was completed?

Mixon was slightly different since we all saw him smash that person's face on video. That kind of thing makes a difference. And still people here took his side since she got physical with him first, hardly screaming to the rafters. But seriously besides Mixon no OU player has ever gotten in trouble? And if he did would we be screaming about it? I mean Mixon did it in front of everybody, that is not a normal situation.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck the court of public opinion and fuck a lynchmob mentality. This is about justice and accountability. If Morris did something that the authorities are not aware of and UT is indeed shielding him and withholding information than everybody should probably be fired with cause. And probably will. And if they care that little about their careers and are that idiotically reckless than good riddance to all of them. I believe in CDC but that would be criminally incompetent and dangerously reckless. Why endanger a huge financial enterprise like UT for one player? Yet the claim is being made that this is happening with no evidence provided. 

If they aren't and everything has been transparent then what is it that UT is supposed to do? He either can play or he can't. I thought he was a child and did some dumb shit and got picked up by the cops and served whatever punishment was deserved. I hate this mentality that somehow real justice needs to be done by arbitrary mobs who don't know the specifics of the situation. I don't give a fuck what the "court of public opinion" rules, that court is unjust and arbitrary and can go fuck itself. I want facts not bullshit.

I'm in agreement with you, I'm just pointing out what's going to happen. It's a bad look from a PR perspective even if they're doing what they legally should.

The whole situation is shit.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't recall screaming to any rafters about that. I thought the legal process around Morris was completed?

Mixon was slightly different since we all saw him smash that person's face on video. That kind of thing makes a difference. And still people here took his side since she got physical with him first, hardly screaming to the rafters.

I think nobody screamed to the rafters about it because the response from A&M was to suspend the player for the season. There's nothing to scream about. People are going to scream about this one because it's not being handled transparently and no action has been taken. I'm not saying one way or another if they should take action, just saying that's the reality.

The legal process for Morris is not completed. Probably won't be for a while. There's no way they would tell Beard and Morris not to say shit if the legal process was complete. You seem to have your mind made up on the case despite not actually knowing the facts of the case, which I find strange.

No argument about the Mixon thing, he should have never played another down. Just like any other player that puts his hands on someone like he did. What Morris did, physically, was obviously not as severe.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm in agreement with you, I'm just pointing out what's going to happen. It's a bad look from a PR perspective even if they're doing what they legally should.

The whole situation is shit.

We'll see. We are not covering up or facilitating anything. Or shielding anyone.

And its not like I care a ton about Morris personally, if UT decides he should be suspended or kicked off the team well I support that decision. But it seems to me he paid his debt to society and its time to move on. It seems to me UT did its due diligence here. If some new facts come to life well then my opinion might change.

Edited by Valmy77

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The legal process for Morris is not completed. Probably won't be for a while. There's no way they would tell Beard and Morris not to say shit if the legal process was complete. You seem to have your mind made up on the case despite not actually knowing the facts of the case, which I find strange.

I thought it was said in this thread he was arrested and he was in jail and the situation was resolved. He had this thing in his past and because of that he shouldn't be here. That was what I thought was going on.

I don't know Morris or this woman. I am not their attorney and I am not some kind of criminal law expert. I have not made my mind up at all. If we don't even know if he is innocent or guilty than the situation is a little crazier. Yeah I don't know about the judgement of bringing in a player in this situation. This is not in the past but still ongoing. However, that is still not shielding him from anything.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I thought it was said in this thread he was arrested and he was in jail and the situation was resolved. He had this thing in his past and because of that he shouldn't be here. That was what I thought was going on.

I don't know Morris or this woman. I am not their attorney and I am not some kind of criminal law expert. I have not made my mind up at all. If we don't even know if he is innocent or guilty than the situation is a little crazier. Yeah I don't know about the judgement of bringing in a player in this situation.

Sorry I'm not trying to argue with you, just calling it how I see it. I've pointed it out before but I'm a former victim assistance coordinator and that experience is what I draw on looking at cases like this.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Fantana said:

Sorry I'm not trying to argue with you, just calling it how I see it. I've pointed it out before but I'm a former victim assistance coordinator and that experience is what I draw on looking at cases like this.

No please argue with me, that is what I am here for. I appreciate your experience and your insights.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

At the risk of opening Pandora’s box, do you have a link to the social media and the reference showing the girl is 23?  At the time all of this happened I googled the name, which I’ve now forgotten, and there was a potential match in the Dallas area who was his age or maybe 1 year older.  I never saw any instagrams or other newfangled social media posts.

To be honest, I'm now questioning what I read, which is irresponsible of me. I do not have access to the posts where I would have read it, since they are gone. I just remember how startled I was at her reported age. However, doing more googling I found a Caden Barnes on LinkedIn who attended Liberty High School (in Frisco, where the arrest was made) graduating class of 2022 - same class as Arterio. Don't know if it's the same person, but the information matches.

This is the cadeymay TikTok account, who is absolutely the same person, since it's linked to her instagram account where she made the posts she subsequently deleted:

At the top it says:

Insta @cadeymay

HTX TxSU

Which is not difficult to guess the 18 is describing her age. It's not guaranteed, but there's very little 18 would be describing in this instance other than her age.

So I need to let go of the whole much older than him narrative. Which, to be honest, was a big reason why I was going easy on Morris in my mind after I thought I had read that in the deleted social media accounts. 

It doesn't change the position I feel like UT and the basketball program are in, but it does change how I feel about Morris, and the relationship dynamic between the two of them. It also makes me feel culpable in some ways for defending Morris in part on the basis of their alleged age difference, which I sincerely thought I had read in her deleted posts. 

The Frisco prosecutor is saying they just recently got the case, so they haven't decided what they want to do. 

Honestly, I feel like a Caden Barnes stalker, which is not my intention. My only interest in her is the social media submissions regarding Arterio Morris, which she has now deleted and obviously wants to move past. As far as I'm concerned she has every right to be as involved or removed as she chooses from her ordeal with her ex boyfriend, without me or anyone else tracking her down in any way. Unfortunately, there's a quandary involved when she's the only source of any of the accusations outside of the police report.

Nonetheless, if she chooses not to press charges, and to just move on, it will make it more challenging for Frisco to choose to prosecute the case. And while it may be unfair in some ways, if she does choose to press the charges, it ends up preventing her from moving on from the whole situation. That's just how the justice system has to work. In any case, I hope she does what she thinks is right for her. 

I just know from an institutional perspective, I do not believe UT or the basketball program should remove Arterio Morris from the team based on social media accounts that have been deleted. If he ends up being convicted of a misdemeanor assault, then that's a different choice they'll have to make - although still not an obvious one to me - but I do not see the possibility of that happening as very high at all. If he's not convicted, and the social media accounts are deleted and are not reposted by his ex girlfriend, then it becomes a no brainer to me.

Will he suffer consequences from all this? Sure. Will UT and Chris Beard be dragged through the mud some as well? I would imagine so. You can already see it in the AP article that went out today and was published digitally across the country. But that's the way it goes. I don't see the right move to kick him off the team to avoid bad press. There needs to be something more tangible than deleted social media posts and dropped charges, if that's how this goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Just so we're all on the same page, here's a story about Demond Demas, the A&M player who was suspended:

https://nypost.com/2022/03/04/father-of-alleged-assault-victim-reportedly-attacks-demond-demas/

Spoiler

The father of the woman allegedly assaulted by Texas A&M’s Demond Demas attacked the wide receiver before a campus conduct hearing, police said.

The father of the alleged assault victim attacked Demas — a former five-star Aggies recruit — as the woman’s mother went after one of his female relatives as the suspended wideout went to a scheduled conduct hearing on campus Thursday, Texas A&M police told the Houston Chronicle.

The woman’s father and mother were charged with misdemeanor assault and taken to Brazos County Jail. No serious injuries were reported, university police told the newspaper.

Demas, 21, who was charged Wednesday with assault causing bodily injury/family violence for allegedly pushing his girlfriend’s head into a wall on Saturday, fell to the ground after being pushed, WTAW-AM reported.

The man’s wife, meanwhile, allegedly hit Demas’ female relative in the face. Both women received medical attention at the scene, the station reported, citing college arrest reports.

A probable cause statement shows Demas’ girlfriend told authorities he attacked her Saturday by pushing her head into a wall, prompting her to bite his shoulder.

Demas then threw the woman off a bed, causing her front teeth to go through her bottom lip, she told police. She had loose teeth, facial swelling and a hole in her bottom of her lip from the attack, according to the statement.

The pair had been dating for around a year, Demas’ girlfriend told authorities.

Texas A&M suspended Demas on Wednesday, the same day he was released from custody after posting $5,000 bond. Demas is no longer a member of its football program.

A university source told the Houston Chronicle that Demas had been suspended last week because he wasn’t attending class, claiming the move had nothing to do with Saturday’s alleged assault.

A message seeking comment from Demas’ attorney, Tony Buzbee, was not immediately returned early Friday.

Buzbee claims the alleged attack by Demas was “an unfortunate misunderstanding,” KBTX reported.

“Demond Demas is a solid young man and a generational talent,” Buzbee told the station in a statement. “He looks forward to clearing his name and moving on to be the best student and athlete he can be. In the meantime, we will let the process play itself out and will address the allegations in court, in due course.”

Demas, who had 15 receptions for 235 yards as a redshirt freshman for the Aggies last season, was also previously accused of hitting a girlfriend last year, although prosecutors declined to press charges after an investigation, the Houston Chronicle reported. He was also busted for marijuana possession last March.

He was previously accused of hitting a girlfriend the previous year, although prosecutors declined to press charges after an investigation.

He was accused of pushing the victim's head into a wall. She bit him on the shoulder, when... 

"Demas then threw the woman off a bed, causing her front teeth to go through her bottom lip, she told police. She had loose teeth, facial swelling and a hole in the bottom of her lip from the attack, according to the statement."

He was also arrested for possession of marijuana in the same year. 

Misdemeanor assault is misdemeanor assault. But some misdemeanor assaults feel more serious to me than others. Demond Demas's falls into that category compared to what happened between Morris and his ex-girlfriend. Doesn't make what happened between them okay, but it sure seems like a different level of severity from my vantage point. Loose teeth, facial swelling, and a hole in the bottom of her lip. Versus a 3 inch abrasion from a bra strap.

And it looks pretty obvious there's not going to be any dropping of charges, given that her parents apparently attacked him and his family at the A&M conduct hearing.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Should take some time to read through the last few pages of the Arterio Morris thread, I posted a bunch there about how I thought the university should handle it.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a whole thread about this situation. I will check it and post more there if I have anything more to say.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:47 PM, SL Xpress said:

And you've just eloquently explained why Kurt Bohls has a job.

The people who love him buy papers to see what shit he's said. The people who hate him buy papers to get mad about the shit he's said.

It sells papers.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Dude @SL Xpress you are doxxing what basically amounts to a child. You need to stop immediately.

In what way am I doxxing? Sincerely, help me out here.

The social media posts regarding Arterio Morris came from her instagram account. Her name is listed in publicly published articles. Her TikTok is linked to her instagram account. 

If this is doxxing, then I want my posts deleted immediately. I certainly don't feel comfortable looking at these pages. I hate social media in general and am not at all comfortable with how public people are about their lives. But I guess my feeling is if they're out there posting about it, it's tough to say it can't be linked to. But I'll admit I could be completely in error with my actions out of ignorance. 

Just as an example, here's the Daily Texan doxxing her, too:

https://thedailytexan.com/2022/07/28/incoming-mens-basketball-freshman-arterio-morris-arrested-for-assault/

The AAS has an article with her name that's behind a paywall. There are a ton of articles around the country that basically published the AAS account. 

She has 170k followers on TikTok and 78k followers on Instagram. On her instagram she claims she's a public figure, whatever that means. 

I'm unsure how this is doxxing.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

In what way am I doxxing? Sincerely, help me out here.

The social media posts regarding Arterio Morris came from her instagram account. Her name is listed in publicly published articles. Her TikTok is linked to her instagram account. 

If this is doxxing, then I want my posts deleted immediately. I certainly don't feel comfortable looking at these pages. I hate social media in general and am not at all comfortable with how public people are about their lives. But I guess my feeling is if they're out there posting about it, it's tough to say it can't be linked to. But I'll admit I could be completely in error with my actions out of ignorance. 

I think I probably overreacted. She isn't a public figure but those have been published before since the initial story broke from her Instagram. My mistake, it's just a reflex borne of experience.

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think I probably overreacted. She isn't a public figure but those have been published before since the initial story broke from her Instagram. My mistake, it's just a reflex borne of experience.

It's a good reflex. I appreciate the reappraisal you generated. 

I'm honestly uncomfortable with this whole thing. I have no desire to look at 18 year old's social media accounts. I'm only doing it to try to come to some conclusions about how I feel regarding this whole mess as objectively as possible. 

• Like 1