UT bidding on having S.F.A join their system

Post Oak

How four Texas university systems are pitching themselves as the best new home for Stephen F. Austin State University

The SFA Board of Regents is expected to decide whether to join a system before the end of the semester. The Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech and University of Texas systems have all expressed interest in adding the Nacogdoches school to their folds.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/21/stephen-f-austin-state-university-system-interviews/

• Hook 'Em 1

Curious because of their forestry program is a top program and then everything else is ok at best. Not a huge grant funded research opportunity and or the best feeder program. But then again, it would be nice to add something beyond Tyler near Louisiana.

Also, if I remember correctly they have (or use to at least) an undergrad feeder program for A&M in Engineering, so makes you question why they don’t just partner with A&M.

I might have to text the associate Dean I know out there to see if I can find out what their internal scuttlebutt is.

Lumberjack at heart. This would be a good thing.

Real talk, SFA was my goal school after growing up in a small East Texas town. Most folks I knew went the Sam or Aggy.  Thankfully, my counselor talked me into UT. For whatever reason, I was scared of Austin, although I would have had no problem going to school in Houston or Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I briefly dated a girl at SFA my senior year at UT.  I went to visit her once and we went to a see Emerson Lake and Palmer in concert there.  She was working as one of there assistants while they were there.  A good time was had by all.

Ohhhhhhh, what a lucky man he was…..

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What happened with the expansion into Houston by the previous UT chancellor?

Long, long story.  Regents and Legislature walked back their support of it.  Most of the acquired lands have been sold again, other portions will take awhile to divest.  It was ambitious, I can't blame a JSOC warfighter for wanting to claim more territory.  It'll end up being a wash even after fees.  A really interesting result of it was that about 65-75% of M.D. Anderson is going to be relocated to Austin's Dell Medical Innovation District in a few years.  So a decade-long debacle ends up being a net positive for Austin, net loss for Houston.  

• Hook 'Em 4

A really interesting result of it was that about 65-75% of M.D. Anderson is going to be relocated to Austin's Dell Medical Innovation District in a few years.  So a decade-long debacle ends up being a net positive for Austin, net loss for Houston.  

This is total bullshit.
  • Haha 2

A substantial portion of M.D. Anderson labs, researchers, doctors, and treatment clinics is not being moved to Austin in the coming decade?  

No. You likely overheard a small portion of a conversation, misinterpreted and then embellished in your normal idiot style. But no … wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Okay, cool.  Hook 'em.  Or whatever they say at M.D. Anderson, not sure if they have a mascot or athletics teams.  I was misinformed.  Thank you for correcting me.  Was just replying to Armybrat's inquiry.  Thanks for getting us back on track.  

Okay, cool.  Hook 'em.  Or whatever they say at M.D. Anderson, not sure if they have a mascot or athletics teams.  I was misinformed.  Thank you for correcting me.  Was just replying to Armybrat's inquiry.  Thanks for getting us back on track.  

Far our, man. I really dig the whole faux knowledgeable insider vibe thing you’ve got going on, man.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Admittedly, I don’t know how to quote it in terms of doctors, beds, square footage, lab Space, etc.  but “a substantial portion” is slated to be moved from Houston to Austin in the next 5-10 years.  It’s fine if you don’t believe me, I suspect neither of us have anything to do with it and god willing, neither of us ever needs their services.  I’ll tell you what I heard and how I heard it but it’ll just incite more bullshit posts between us.   But at least acknowledge that it’s not outta the realm of possibility that a biomedical innovation area may have a place for cancer research.  

2 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Far our, man. I really dig the whole faux knowledgeable insider vibe thing you’ve got going on, man.

I totally spaced out.  I have no dog In the hunt.  What made me think of the story regarding  MDA and Austin was either Milliken told me to my face about the relocation alongside a regent and prominent Austin donor.  Or your wife talks in her sleep.  Either way.  

Ok cool, totally not happening then.  It was a peripheral comment to armybrat's inquiry about whatever happened with the UT-houston campus initiative.  Really weird though, those two guys had no reason to lie.  Maybe they were trying to sell me some supplements or some shit.  

40 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Ok cool, totally not happening then.  It was a peripheral comment to armybrat's inquiry about whatever happened with the UT-houston campus initiative.  Really weird though, those two guys had no reason to lie.  Maybe they were trying to sell me some supplements or some shit.  

image.png.43b4ee422cf180412d867cdbec31e0a9.png

• Haha 2

SFA grad here. I think Tech is chosen, makes the most sense to me. UT has UT-Tyler up the road. SFA isn’t changing that name or colors and that’s prob a UT requirement.  

If it’s aggy I’ll be pissed. I’ve already let powers at be know my thoughts on that BS. aggy is not too far from Nac anyway, 

Tech makes sense to me because it puts an eastern chapter to them and it’s chancellor/president/whatever they call him is a SFA graduate. 

• Hook 'Em 1