UT bidding on having S.F.A join their system

Post Oak

17 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Regent Flores won’t be voting for UT. Said UT will force a name change and he doesn’t believe they’ll provide the funds promised. 

I believe it’s aggy that has recently forced name changes. 

do we have a history of that, other than Texas western to utep?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I believe it’s aggy that has recently forced name changes. 

do we have a history of that, other than Texas western to utep?

I know from a visit there that UT-Arlington was Arlington College or Academy.  Then joined A&M System and then finally the UT System-where it was finally renamed, UT-Arlington.  I'm sure a buncha other shit happened in that century+.  UTSA, UT-Dallas, UT-PB were always that.  As stated above UT-Brownsville and UT-Pan Am combine to become UT-RGV.  Not sure the story on UT-Tyler.  Obviously the medical branches all have their own history and branding that should be respected.  Originally, it was all gonna be moved to System "Health Science Centers" except M.D. Anderson.  But UT-MB Galveston fought that as did Southwestern.  I certainly understand their positions.  

Will they just call it UT-Nacogdoches?  or UT-East Texas?  Which has both negative and positive connotations?  How would UT-Tyler feel about that?  Does anyone care since they were just gifted a great new medical school/center?  UT-Stephen F. Austin sounds confusing as fuck to all but the most ardent of Lone State higher ed followers.  I think it'll be none of the above.  Brownsville to Edinburg is about 60 miles.  Tyler to Nachogdoches isn't much more at 75 miles.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I know from a visit there that UT-Arlington was Arlington College or Academy.  Then joined A&M System and then finally the UT System-where it was finally renamed, UT-Arlington.  I'm sure a buncha other shit happened in that century+.  UTSA, UT-Dallas, UT-PB were always that.  As stated above UT-Brownsville and UT-Pan Am combine to become UT-RGV.  Not sure the story on UT-Tyler.  Obviously the medical branches all have their own history and branding that should be respected.  Originally, it was all gonna be moved to System "Health Science Centers" except M.D. Anderson.  But UT-MB Galveston fought that as did Southwestern.  I certainly understand their positions.  

Will they just call it UT-Nacogdoches?  or UT-East Texas?  Which has both negative and positive connotations?  How would UT-Tyler feel about that?  Does anyone care since they were just gifted a great new medical school/center?  UT-Stephen F. Austin sounds confusing as fuck to all but the most ardent of Lone State higher ed followers.  I think it'll be none of the above.  Brownsville to Edinburg is about 60 miles.  Tyler to Nachogdoches isn't much more at 75 miles.  

Just go all professional golf tournament on the school.

Stephen Fuller Austin University of Nacogdoches as presented by The University of Texas at Austin.

SFAUONAPBTUOTAA for short.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, ScottS said:

Stephen Fuller Austin University of Nacogdoches as presented by The University of Texas at Austin.

"University of Houston-Victory at Katy" is a thing that actually exists, so apparently you can call your college whatever the fuck you want.

• Hook 'Em 1

Obviously, you can call it whatever the fuck you want.  Southern New Hampshire University comes to mind.  How can a state that takes 15 minutes to walk from its northern border to the ocean even have a "southern" portion?  

But UT acknowledges the importance of the Permian Basin region and the Rio Grande Valley "region"  Other than that, you're called by the city (med schools notwithstanding).  So it's tricky with SFA.  "East Texas" means something to Texans, it's kind of a hamper outside of our borders though.  UT-PC?  

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

UT - Piney Woods 

I think I saw that film.  It introduced the erotic world to Susan Joyce and Nancy Reems.  Susan, this is Nancy.  Nancy, Susan.  

I think System will leave it alone for awhile (~5 years) and then change its name.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Name change requires legislation - it’s not happening. 

Didn't the article say that the legislation was required regardless for them to move to the UT system? Not that I give a fuck about whether they change the name or not, but this doesn't feel like much of an excuse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

South Austin's Mom.  She's an Institution.  

Texas Southern will largely be left alone due to its status within the HBCU space.  And rightfully so.  It's completely up to them, and they remain content for at least the next generation or so.  Plus, UTS is withdrawing from Houston, not increasing its footprint.  Perhaps waiting for the inevitable roll-up of UH System one day.  But don't hold your breath.  

TWU is really the only other asset out there.  They could help validate the existence of UNT System, but that's another sinking ship.  Its mission is still unique, but puzzling.  Regent Perez, before he came to UT System, was the head Regent there.  I think it stays kinda "left alone", which is good and bad.  They miss out on a lot of cooperational research and funding.  One of my wife's degrees is from TWU.  I don't even think they know what their long-term plan is.  

Anyway, TSU and TWU?  We'll see a compression of a whole system, or two, before anything happens with either of those institutions (in terms of being absorbed).  

• Hook 'Em 2

If you’d added “Taco Bell” and inserted a “Gooooong!” audio file then I would think this might be legit!
  • Hook 'Em 1

Meeting tomorrow. 
Financial proposals available at https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/financial-proposal-values-summary.pdf
Summary of funding appears to be:
UT: $124.3 million
A&M: $33.7 million
Texas State: $7.4 million
Tech: $357,000

Knowing the good ol' boy network they prob chose A&M and walk away from nearly $100m just not to "austinfy" deep east Texas. 

I mean seriously Tech….WTF? This was for the whole school. Not their Valedictorian.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I’d love UT to get TSU. Having a HBCU in the system would be nice. Even aggy can claim that, which sucks. 

TSU may not have a choice in staying independent much longer due to $$$$.

this makes a lot of sense, big picture 

it would give ut a foothold in Houston 

• Hook 'Em 1

SFA grad here. I think Tech is chosen, makes the most sense to me. UT has UT-Tyler up the road. SFA isn’t changing that name or colors and that’s prob a UT requirement.  

If it’s aggy I’ll be pissed. I’ve already let powers at be know my thoughts on that BS. aggy is not too far from Nac anyway, 
Tech makes sense to me because it puts an eastern chapter to them and it’s chancellor/president/whatever they call him is a SFA graduate. 

This aged well

I wonder if SFA's desire to move to a system is partly driven by the wide spread belief that there's going to be a significant contraction in the number of colleges over the next 20-30 years due to out of control costs that are causing an increasing number of kids to forego college.  If you have that fear, you don't want to be independent or be in a system that is strangling you in the good times like aggy does. Good luck with how aggy would treat you when the spigot starts to be turned off.  The UT system would be only choice in that scenario. 

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I wonder if SFA's desire to move to a system is partly driven by the wide spread belief that there's going to be a significant contraction in the number of colleges over the next 20-30 years due to out of control costs that are causing an increasing number of kids to forego college.  If you have that fear, you don't want to be independent or be in a system that is strangling you in the good times like aggy does. Good luck with how aggy would treat you when the spigot starts to be turned off.  The UT system would be only choice in that scenario. 

SFA spent a lot of money on campus improvements starting around 2004, so they'll be paying for them for quite some time, and a fear of enrollment drop offs could definitely be a factor.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Interesting . What's the mechanism for contraction in this case? Lack of funding or lower enrollment?