Fake Paper Plates (License Plates, the Vic Food Thread is in Lulz)

Jimbaround

The Road Rage thread reminded me I was curious about the paper plate epidemic going on.  So, I ask: what the fuck is going on with all the fake paper plates in Houston/Texas?

I was driving home last week and saw a shitty pick up stalled in the middle of the road; paper plates.  A tow truck was there to haul her POS away and her husband/boyfriend/FB was there to pick her up in a barely functioning vehicle.  Low and behold he had paper plates too.  I work at the Beltway and Clay and I probably see at least five vehicles with paper plates on my way home to the Heights every day.

Is it really that much cheaper to keep printing fake paper plates than to register your car?  I just don't get it.

I bought a car from a dude recently and he asked me to remove his plates because he forgot.

Went online to print paper plates thinking they were free, 25 bucks for a month. Fuck that will leave his on until mine come in, fucking robbers

6 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

I bought a car from a dude recently and he asked me to remove his plates because he forgot.

Went online to print paper plates thinking they were free, 25 bucks for a month. Fuck that will leave his on until mine come in, fucking robbers

Well if you  are going to game the system I imagine you can just change  the expiration date on the document  and then print another.  Shoot, all you really need is ms paint. There are scans, or pdfs on the internet.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a shady website that you just type  in the info and it renders a pdf for you.

Isn't there some sort of deal with tote the note lots for the poors where they never actually give you ownership of the car until you've paid it off, or paid some amount off, or something?  And so you have to go in every month to make your payment and get a new set of paper plates?

• Like 1

Read a story a couple months ago about the state changing the plates to include a QR code that would pull up owner & registration info immediately. 

http://www.kxan.com/news/investigations/paper-license-plates-get-security-redesign-amid-fraud-increase/1112193771

Even with the changes, Kuntz said the strongest security feature on paper license plates is the unique alphanumeric number, which officers can run through their database if they pull an individual over.

The number gives officers the ability to determine all the same information they would by running numbers on metal license plates, as well as who purchased the vehicle and the dealer who sold it to them.

“If law enforcement runs them and they don’t get a current vehicle in the system, then it’s gonna tell them, hey this tag is not associated with a vehicle in the system. It’s not valid, and therefore, you’ve got somebody that’s got a fraudulent tag,” Kuntz said.

He said the DMV's IT team also revamped the web dealer system so it will allow car dealers to link a buyer’s tag with title transactions to simplify the process.

If you only see five you aren’t looking hard enough. All 10+ year old cars. All...well 90%..........never mind, but it’s undeniable. I’m convinced there’s a website where you can download them and print them. Its been at the top of my “trivial things that make you Surly” list for at least a year now. Total scam.  Also, to get a real plate your piece of shit has to pass inspection. That eliminates most of what I see. 

Edited by Lat22
  • Like 1

I got into a fender bender with one, well, more like a scratch, when they pulled into a parking lot, I sped off. Fuck that, I've been through that before as a teenager, barely bumped a car and youd have thought I killed them. My neck back leg knee elbow! My car is totaled! You're paying for this!

Nope, I saw a beater with paper.plates and drove off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

I got into a fender bender with one, well, more like a scratch, when they pulled into a parking lot, I sped off. Fuck that, I've been through that before as a teenager, barely bumped a car and youd have thought I killed them. My neck back leg knee elbow! My car is totaled! You're paying for this!

Nope, I saw a beater with paper.plates and drove off.

Interesting strategy. I mean what are they going to do? Call the law? Hahahahahahaha. 

In Dallas, the cost to have my SUV inspected June 2018 was $25.50 plus $104.75 for the registration fee.

$130.25 total which reaches past a line in the sand for me in regards to vehicle registration fees.

Even with the new paper tag system in place I still see many dozens of paper plate vehicles daily in Dallas. Most call them "ratchets" here which is really just slang for "wretched" but comes out funny.

Edited by CHEF DIESEL

15 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Isn't there some sort of deal with tote the note lots for the poors where they never actually give you ownership of the car until you've paid it off, or paid some amount off, or something?  And so you have to go in every month to make your payment and get a new set of paper plates?

There might be something to this idea.  It kind of makes sense.

Btw - I saw 10 on my way home yesterday, but 2 were real (brand new cars).

22 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Is it really that much cheaper to keep printing fake paper plates than to register your car?  I just don't get it.

To register you need to have it inspected, and to have it inspected you need to have it running properly.  All three pieces of this puzzle cost money.  Huge portions of the American population are experts at just getting by because they cant or wont help themselves.  Most are in the "wont" category if you ask me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

To register you need to have it inspected, and to have it inspected you need to have it running properly.  All three pieces of this puzzle cost money.  Huge portions of the American population are experts at just getting by because they cant or wont help themselves.  Most are in the "wont" category if you ask me.  

They probably spent all the money on a sound system and rims.  

I'm not saying they were fake, but they were on shitty shitty cars that I can't imagine were on a used car lot somewhere.
That's the point, really. Aren't paper plates ONLY designed for the transfer period after a sale?

Is there any other reason?

Paper plates mean you can't easily find out who really owns the vehicle. 

Have a wreck, smash someone else's car?  No problem.  Walk away and never get caught.  Leave the other schmuk holding the bag.

Has happened to a company truck and 3 people I know.  Car crash, other guy jumps out and hauls ass.  Never to be seen again.

• Like 1

In Dallas, the cost to have my SUV inspected June 2018 was $25.50 plus $104.75 for the registration fee.

$130.25 total which reaches past a line in the sand for me in regards to vehicle registration fees.

Even with the new paper tag system in place I still see many dozens of paper plate vehicles daily in Dallas. Most call them "ratchets" here which is really just slang for "wretched" but comes out funny.

That seems pretty damn expensive. How is the registration cost determined? I have a special plate, but I think my normal registration is much less than that in Houston.

The whole damn thing is a racket though.

21 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Interesting strategy. I mean what are they going to do? Call the law? Hahahahahahaha. 

Judging from several accidents I've heard about lately from friends, relatives & coworkers. In Austin at least, the cops don't give a shit about hit and run unless somebody is injured.  Even if you got their license plate-real ones.  I plan to take off next time I cause one, fuck it, it you can't beat em, join 'em.  My insurance is high enough with a teenager.

Only the poors use paper plates, I always use fine china myself

Edited by Don Keibals

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Paper plates mean you can't easily find out who really owns the vehicle. 

Have a wreck, smash someone else's car?  No problem.  Walk away and never get caught.  Leave the other schmuk holding the bag.

Has happened to a company truck and 3 people I know.  Car crash, other guy jumps out and hauls ass.  Never to be seen again.

IDK man, I bought a Toyota PU for my daughter from a used dealer, same day with the paper plates, I took the toll road and sure enough, got a bill for it.

That seems pretty damn expensive. How is the registration cost determined? I have a special plate, but I think my normal registration is much less than that in Houston. 

You fell for a humblebrag and burned yourself.

Passenger car registration is based on FMV. Truck plates on GVW.

You fell for a humblebrag and burned yourself.  

Passenger car registration is based on FMV. Truck plates on GVW.

I assumed that, but was too lazy to look it up.

As for the burn...I would never expect to be able to keep up with the likes of the average Surly poster. Bunch of 1%ers on here.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:34 PM, Deej said:

My neighbors put new paper plates on all their cars every few months.

Bunch of cars in the area have them affixed with duct tape. You think that would be a dead giveaway.

Wait, are y’all saying that instead of paying for registration, inspection, and insurance, people create fake paper plates? And...what...nothing happens?

This reminds me, some time back I was talking to a cop...wait, before getting to the conversation with the cop, one time I was talking with an insurance adjuster and I asked “what percentage to cars on the road don’t have liability insurance” and she said “AT LEAST 25%”. I was like holy shit, that’s a lot. OK, so back to the conversation with the cop, I’m like “why can’t you guys build a computer system that scans license plates as they drive by you, and you get a green light or red light depending on whether that car has liability insurance, since all that data goes to a database”. Right? I mean, it’s pretty basic technology. You park a cop car on the side of I-35 and you can scan thousands of cars per day. Whatever car doesn’t have insurance gets pulled over, car impounded. You can get your car after you pay a hefty fine, say three times the cost of liability for a year. Anyway, the cop goes “yeah, no, we can’t do that”. WTF?

27 minutes ago, XYZ said:

This reminds me, some time back I was talking to a cop...wait, before getting to the conversation with the cop, one time I was talking with an insurance adjuster and I asked “what percentage to cars on the road don’t have liability insurance” and she said “AT LEAST 25%”. I was like holy shit, that’s a lot. OK, so back to the conversation with the cop, I’m like “why can’t you guys build a computer system that scans license plates as they drive by you, and you get a green light or red light depending on whether that car has liability insurance, since all that data goes to a database”. Right? I mean, it’s pretty basic technology. You park a cop car on the side of I-35 and you can scan thousands of cars per day. Whatever car doesn’t have insurance gets pulled over, car impounded. You can get your car after you pay a hefty fine, say three times the cost of liability for a year. Anyway, the cop goes “yeah, no, we can’t do that”. WTF?

At least for my department, a vehicles insurance status can not be used as a reason for contact because the database for insurance is unreliable. If I pull a vehicle over for a different reason and the insurance shows unconfirmed and the driver is unable to provide proof of financial responsibility, then the vehicle is towed. 

I mean, this is a solvable problem, right? We are not talking about putting a man on Mars. These are cars circulating on the streets in broad daylight, all around us. Scientists have figured out how to re-program the HIV virus to attack only cancerous cells. And we don’t know how to deal with an epidemic of cars with fake license plates and no insurance.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, XYZ said:

I mean, this is a solvable problem, right? We are not talking about putting a man on Mars. These are cars circulating on the streets in broad daylight, all around us. Scientists have figured out how to re-program the HIV virus to attack only cancerous cells. And we don’t know how to deal with an epidemic of cars with fake license plates and no insurance.

The Politics forum is just down the way