Fake Paper Plates (License Plates, the Vic Food Thread is in Lulz)

Jimbaround

I mean, this is a solvable problem, right? We are not talking about putting a man on Mars. These are cars circulating on the streets in broad daylight, all around us. Scientists have figured out how to re-program the HIV virus to attack only cancerous cells. And we don’t know how to deal with an epidemic of cars with fake license plates and no insurance.
You have to look and see who are the people fighting HIV, cancer, etc, then you have to look at the people in charge of things such as law, there you will find an answer.

11 hours ago, ERhine said:

I saw 10 on my drive to work the other day. Two looked like new model vehicles. The others were jalopies.

Let it serve as a reminder of why you should have good UIM coverage.

UM is uninsured and UIM is underinsured but yeah get it and have it for as long as you have comp & collision.

You only get a temporary paper plate when you buy a car from a dealer? So you’re saying nobody could possibly have bought that shitty prelude from a dealer, therefore the paper plate has to be fake?

So people pull their metal license plates off, install a fake homemade plate with some random numbers, never pay insurance or registration or get their car inspected again, and they just get away with it.

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

So people pull their metal license plates off, install a fake homemade plate with some random numbers, never pay insurance or registration or get their car inspected again, and they just get away with it.

They’re getting away with a lot more than just that. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:45 PM, XYZ said:

I mean, this is a solvable problem, right? We are not talking about putting a man on Mars. These are cars circulating on the streets in broad daylight, all around us. Scientists have figured out how to re-program the HIV virus to attack only cancerous cells. And we don’t know how to deal with an epidemic of cars with fake license plates and no insurance.

Scooby Doo Halloween GIF by Boomerang Official

IDs, math, punctuality, tests ... now fucking car registrations. 

2 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

And the head of TXDMV resigned a few days ago, and KXAN is taking the credit for taking her down.

Any decision-maker in the Texas DMV should be forced to publicly admit that they corrupt or incompetent. I don’t see a 3rd option in the scenario.

My guess is that the original software was created by someone that has no idea what they were doing. Not even validating the VIN had valid characters?

I know the DMV said their hands were tied by statute, but how about some common sense. I can’t stand “leaders” who hide behind their in-house counsel’s advice. Tell the counsel to find a way that you can get around the statutes.

but i also don’t doubt for a second that the legislature helped create and extend the problem. 

They have hands tied on some stuff. Dealer licensing is mostly dictated by statute. So they couldn't just arbitrarily require fingerprints. To be a small time dealer there wasn't much they could require but require a fee and application. They could have at least verified that the dealers in the books actually existed beyond churning faux tags.

But they software, damn did they fuck that up. VIN verification. Clamp down on "authorized users." And most of all, just look at the data. Some dealer that has a tiny used lot on a quarter of a block? Yeah, it's suspicious as hell they "sold" hundreds of cars in a month. Scrape that data. Hire and investigator and refer likely fraud to OAG. I don't understand why that didn't happen.

Edited by CleverNickname
Edit
  • Like 1

General rant about politicians (no CR), but I imagine these statutes were 100% written by some car dealer association lawyer that only wanted to remove all restrictions. The association told the legislator to get it passed. I doubt the legislator read it or even thought about unintended consequences.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Optimistically, I hope scum bags are using them to avoid paying tolls/get their vehicle inspected.

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/law-enforcement-now-targeting-fake-paper-license-plates-on-harris-county-toll-roads

As others in the thread have pointed out, some are using them to commit crimes and avoid responsibility in car accidents. 

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

But they software, damn did they fuck that up. VIN verification. Clamp down on "authorized users." And most of all, just look at the data. Some dealer that has a tiny used lot on a quarter of a block? Yeah, it's suspicious as hell they "sold" hundreds of cars in a month. Scrape that data. Hire and investigator and refer likely fraud to OAG. I don't understand why that didn't happen.

If they sold hundreds of cars, where's the hundreds of title applications and fees? Pretty easy to cross check that shit.

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

This cycle of using state/federal agency positions to reward your political friends leads to a strong, consistent display of incompetence.

Brewster got her start in state DMVs through politics. Texas never should have hired her.

how many state/fed agency leads think of everything from a political viewpoint and where their next job will come from? All?  Run the DMV agency and your next role is a highly paid lobbyist for a special interest group.  And your special interest salary isn't about incentivizing you, it's about incentivizing your agency lead replacement.  It's dangling a carrot in front of them: help us and this will be you.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

You can print them off many diff websites 

toll roads should stop accepting them. You have to stop and pay a toll 

If stopping and paying were an option, I'd take it, even with my legal metal tags.  Yeah, that would slow me down, but it would be less time than I've spent trying to sort out their incompetence in regards to billing and payments.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/14/2018 at 10:41 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

This asswipe cut me off going to the airport.
And YES, it appears drivers with paper plates DGAF about anything on the road.

561ef319b892c732d4264324752b84e3.heic

11 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

It seems like 1 out of every 3 cars in Oak Cliff have paper license plates and they’re mostly old beat up pick up trucks or shitty Dodge Challengers with a Edgar haircut driver. No racist.

shitty dodge challengers and honda's with ridiculous spoilers like above should be probable cause for a traffic stop.

(I jest, but many truths are said in jest).

(Also, I deliberately left out beat up pick up trucks because I drive a beat up pick up truck).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I can only speak for 3 of the big cities in Texas, but the toll booth's got removed, and/or lanes closed, everything in Texas is now either photo, or electronic.  

I guess they could "ban" paper tags from the toll road,  but the cops would have to be willing to enforce the rule by pulling people over for having a paper tag.

Amy Davis from Channel 2 in Houston has been up TXDMV ass for a couple months now.  She went on a ride along last week and the first three they pulled over were dirty.  No insurance, no DL, suspended DL, failure to appear for a previous violation.  All on the first three stops.

Last month, Harris County deputy constables cited 1,363 drivers related to fake paper license plate tags (click2houston.com)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Amy Davis from Channel 2 in Houston has been up TXDMV ass for a couple months now.  She went on a ride along last week and the first three they pulled over were dirty.  No insurance, no DL, suspended DL, failure to appear for a previous violation.  All on the first three stops.

Last month, Harris County deputy constables cited 1,363 drivers related to fake paper license plate tags (click2houston.com)

But they're good kids.

8 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

they don't even check to see if there is a lot first. 

Lopez, Ocasio and Reyes are accused of using fake identities, fraudulent photos of office space and fake lease agreements to gain access to the system, and selling tags using fabricated car sales. It took investigators months to verify the dealerships did not exist, document how sales taxes were not being paid on the alleged purchases, and then shut off access to the online portal.

Tags were delivered to people via email, as a PDF, which the person could amend every two months to update the date. Unless police know what the they are looking for, the tags are legit — because according to Texas’ online system they are.

Through one of the four fictional car dealerships, the people involved in the scheme were able to create 430,000 tags before the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles shut down their access after 17 months. Between May and July of 2020, another fake dealership was able to generate 108,000 tags. Two other phony firms identified by prosecutors generated about 50,000 combined, all through the webDealer portal maintained by DMV.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/houston-ground-zero-fake-temporary-license-tags-16508768.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

The article doesn't state it, but what happens to the vehicle if the tag is proven to be fake? I hope they impound the car and not release until the driver comes forward with real plates that are verified. And let the county have the car if they fail to do so within 90 or120 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The article doesn't state it, but what happens to the vehicle if the tag is proven to be fake? I hope they impound the car and not release until the driver comes forward with real plates that are verified. And let the county have the car if they fail to do so within 90 or120 days.

For a dem you sure hate poor people. 

8 hours ago, RPM said:

If they sold hundreds of cars, where's the hundreds of title applications and fees? Pretty easy to cross check that shit.

Where are the sales tax receipts?  That is how they should imprison these guys.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Another revenue loss that honest drivers have to make up the difference.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

People in other states have gotten in on the racket and are selling Texas paper tags across the US.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Agree that the cars should be impounded.  If any of these are true not registered, not insured, drivers license not valid.  People get off too easily on these offenses and the cars need to be impounded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Where are the sales tax receipts?  That is how they should imprison these guys.

Another revenue loss that honest drivers have to make up the difference.

People in other states have gotten in on the racket and are selling Texas paper tags across the US.

Agree that the cars should be impounded.  If any of these are true not registered, not insured, drivers license not valid.  People get off too easily on these offenses and the cars need to be impounded.

But think of the poors. How will they get around?

cap-metro-program_36675650_ver1.0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I figured out how to solve this problem.
 A person buys a plate (or multiple plates if you loaded and can afford multiple cars).  You keep that plate.  When you sell a car you take the plates off.  When you buy a car you better bring your own plates; no plate no sale.  
What’s the holes in my plan?

On 6/15/2018 at 8:12 PM, Brothahorn said:

Damned if I didn't see a flyer for paper tags at a grocery store in the hood.

I see them posted on utility poles in the shitty town I work in. I'll drive around and randomly run a paper tag and more than half the time they come back as non existent. Brand new cars and shitty ass hoopties all the same

18 minutes ago, Longhornstampede said:

I see them posted on utility poles in the shitty town I work in. I'll drive around and randomly run a paper tag and more than half the time they come back as non existent. Brand new cars and shitty ass hoopties all the same

Are you a cop?  If you are you have to tell us.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They towed them.