Fake Paper Plates (License Plates, the Vic Food Thread is in Lulz)

Jimbaround

Crooks love the ability to drive an untraceable car. Poors love saving on pesky insurance and registration fees. I wonder though, how many of these paper plate cowboys are doing it to avoid the repo man?

License plate scanners changed the game for repo men a while back. They used to have to hunt down cars at probable addresses where the deadbeats “might” be parking. Plate scanners connected to database of cars on the repo list meant repo peeps could just drive the streets fishing for a hit, and a payday. A paper plate can easily make your car payments go away too. It’s a whole lot harder trying to find a car using only the VIN.

The DMV obviously did not care about the fake plate issue. I wonder if behind the scenes, some auto lenders are helping push these news stories into the public conversation.  Wall Street securitizes billions in auto loans. I’m sure they don’t like it when their only collateral becomes hard to trace.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I figured out how to solve this problem.
 A person buys a plate (or multiple plates if you loaded and can afford multiple cars).  You keep that plate.  When you sell a car you take the plates off.  When you buy a car you better bring your own plates; no plate no sale.  
What’s the holes in my plan?

So your assumption is that a private seller will, out of civic responsibility, refuse to make a cash sale to a buyer who didn't bring his own plates with him? Can't think of any holes there.

From the Channel 2 news story link above…

”In January, deputy constables cited 1,363 drivers related to fraudulent paper license plate tags.

Responding to a rise in the use of fraudulent paper license plate tags, the Harris County Toll Road Authority held an enforcement campaign across the Houston area from Jan. 15 to Jan. 31.

Through the collaborative effort – various precincts are responsible for traffic enforcement along their segment of HCTRA roads – deputies made 19 arrests, cleared 81 open misdemeanor and felony warrants and had 115 vehicles with fake tags or title issues towed.”

Seriously, why wasn’t each and every vehicle towed??? Cops literally can’t do anything right.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If stopping and paying were an option, I'd take it, even with my legal metal tags.  Yeah, that would slow me down, but it would be less time than I've spent trying to sort out their incompetence in regards to billing and payments.

Yep fuck NTTA cocksuckers!! Pieces of shit

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Bernard said:

From the Channel 2 news story link above…

”In January, deputy constables cited 1,363 drivers related to fraudulent paper license plate tags.

Responding to a rise in the use of fraudulent paper license plate tags, the Harris County Toll Road Authority held an enforcement campaign across the Houston area from Jan. 15 to Jan. 31.

Through the collaborative effort – various precincts are responsible for traffic enforcement along their segment of HCTRA roads – deputies made 19 arrests, cleared 81 open misdemeanor and felony warrants and had 115 vehicles with fake tags or title issues towed.”

Seriously, why wasn’t each and every vehicle towed??? Cops literally can’t do anything right.

Bernard

You can’t tow a vehicle just because it’s displaying a fictitious tag. 

40 minutes ago, Constant said:

That should be fixed. It is not legally entitled to be on the road. No registration or insurance. 
If the driver’s license is not valid there is nobody there to operate it so tow it. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

That should be fixed. It is not legally entitled to be on the road. No registration or insurance. 
If the driver’s license is not valid there is nobody there to operate it so tow it. 

That’s an entire separate can of worms. You’d be surprised how many of these vehicles have good insurance. Plenty of rinky dink insurance shops willing to do business. We must tow vehicles for no insurance(minus a few extremes).

• Haha 1

i don't mind the paper plates. it should make solving crimes much easier. pull over assholes with paper plates. as pointed out above, there's a GOOD chance that asshole is wanted for something. but cops are too fucking lazy to solve crimes. they seem more interested in rushing to situations where they can shoot and thug people.

this is definitely could be a good thing if we had the conviction to use it as the blessing that it is.

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Thanks for correcting me. I assumed one could be towed for driving with expired tags because a DPS trooper specifically told me my car was going to be towed / impounded because the registration sticker was overdue. I heard him call for the tow truck on his radio. Then he acted like he was doing me a favor by not towing the car. Typical lying cocksucker.

Bernard

I know this is about paper tags, but this is similar for the discussion.

A few states, including our neighbor Louisiana, have the no pay, no play clause for auto insurance.  For those who dont know, if you dont have insurance on your vehicle, you cant collect if a negligent driver WITH insurance is at fault.  Now I am sure there are some circumstances where that may not be true, but fender benders and whatnot, you are SOL if you dont have insurance. 

Why will Texas not pass this?

• Like 1

Shit. Too late to edit my post above. I wanted to add…

For the record: I asked for no such favor. It was a gorgeous Saturday AM. When informed that my car was to be impounded near Huntsville until I could show proof of registration, I just looked at my buddy standing next to on the shoulder and said, “Fuck, it  we’ll rent a convertible.” I always figured the cop was just trying to fuck with me. I always thought he let me drive away because he knew I gave no fucks at all about getting towed. Now it seems the whole thing was a failed charade to try and fuck with me. Not surprised.

Bernard

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I know this is about paper tags, but this is similar for the discussion.

A few states, including our neighbor Louisiana, have the no pay, no play clause for auto insurance.  For those who dont know, if you dont have insurance on your vehicle, you cant collect if a negligent driver WITH insurance is at fault.  Now I am sure there are some circumstances where that may not be true, but fender benders and whatnot, you are SOL if you dont have insurance. 

Why will Texas not pass this?

Auto lending is a huge industry. They don’t like their loan collateral being damaged and not repaired. They want as many parties as possible lined up to to pay to repair their collateral.

Bernard

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

i don't mind the paper plates. it should make solving crimes much easier. pull over assholes with paper plates. as pointed out above, there's a GOOD chance that asshole is wanted for something. but cops are too fucking lazy to solve crimes. they seem more interested in rushing to situations where they can shoot and thug people.

this is definitely could be a good thing if we had the conviction to use it as the blessing that it is.

This.  The cops don't care.  My son drove around with expired paper plates for 4 1/2 months because of a fuck up in the registration by Carvana.  I was kind of hoping he would get a ticket so I could pay it and sue Carvana in small claims court, but the cops just don't give a shit.

During the ice storm I slid off the road in my newer car and the damage was worse than I thought. Shit actually started falling off and it was undrivable. So yesterday I was scrambling to get my old car back on the road. Got a new battery, got it inspected and when I went to the Bridgeport Tax Office they were gone to lunch and it was an hour before they got back. I had to get to bed, so I registered it online. Hitch is you have to wait on the mail for the sticker. But my registration was paid.

OK, scene set.

I'm driving the old car to work last night and when I go past the old Yesterday's restaurant I see 2 DPS sitting in the dark parking lot. I knew what was coming even though there was no way they could see my sticker, much less read my plates at random with the naked eye. Sure enough by the time I got to James Wood one of them was trailing me. I got pulled over at NRS. First question, "Do you know your registration is expired?"

Fortunately, I always prepare for the worst (Semper Paratus) and had my inspection receipt and a copy of my online payment. It didn't hurt I'm a 60 year old white guy with short hair wearing a suit. He let me go without a warning, but I wasn't the fish they were trolling for.

Point of the whole story is a plate reader snagged me from 80 yards away, in the dark, while I was going 55. We're doomed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

So your assumption is that a private seller will, out of civic responsibility, refuse to make a cash sale to a buyer who didn't bring his own plates with him? Can't think of any holes there.

No, but if that buyer doesn’t bring his own plates he’s driving home with no plates.  Maybe he doesn’t get stopped on the way home.  Maybe he’s buying an old truck that is getting out on a ranch, sure. But if he doesn’t actually have plates and keeps driving it eventually he’ll get pulled over.  No plates = automatic pulled over if a cop see you.  

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

No, but if that buyer doesn’t bring his own plates he’s driving home with no plates.  Maybe he doesn’t get stopped on the way home.  Maybe he’s buying an old truck that is getting out on a ranch, sure. But if he doesn’t actually have plates and keeps driving it eventually he’ll get pulled over.  No plates = automatic pulled over if a cop see you.  

ok? That's a different proposal than your original one, which was "no plate, no sale".

• Hook 'Em 1

During the ice storm I slid off the road in my newer car and the damage was worse than I thought. Shit actually started falling off and it was undrivable. So yesterday I was scrambling to get my old car back on the road. Got a new battery, got it inspected and when I went to the Bridgeport Tax Office they were gone to lunch and it was an hour before they got back. I had to get to bed, so I registered it online. Hitch is you have to wait on the mail for the sticker. But my registration was paid.
OK, scene set.
I'm driving the old car to work last night and when I go past the old Yesterday's restaurant I see 2 DPS sitting in the dark parking lot. I knew what was coming even though there was no way they could see my sticker, much less read my plates at random with the naked eye. Sure enough by the time I got to James Wood one of them was trailing me. I got pulled over at NRS. First question, "Do you know your registration is expired?"
Fortunately, I always prepare for the worst (Semper Paratus) and had my inspection receipt and a copy of my online payment. It didn't hurt I'm a 60 year old white guy with short hair wearing a suit. He let me go without a warning, but I wasn't the fish they were trolling for.
Point of the whole story is a plate reader snagged me from 80 yards away, in the dark, while I was going 55. We're doomed.

Regarding the plate reader ( aka Automatic License Plate Recognition tech) I work with roadside technology and it’s evolving fast. Software does most of the work.

13 minutes ago, mackavelli said:

Regarding the plate reader ( aka Automatic License Plate Recognition tech) I work with roadside technology and it’s evolving fast. Software does most of the work.

I'd imagine it's just OCR tied to a law enforcement query backend, right? At this point it's not really a novel technology

11 hours ago, RPM said:

OK, scene set.

When the 130 toll road east of Austin was built I heard they tested the toll gates with a professional driver blowing thru them going something like 220 MPH to test the cameras. Clear pics and plates read read with no problem.

80 yards and 55 MPH ain't shit to the tech that's out there

Edited by Longhornstampede

6 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

When the 130 toll road east of Austin was built I heard they tested the toll gates with a professional driver blowing thru them going something like 220 MPH to test the cameras. Clear pics and plates read read with no problem.

80 yards and 55 MPH ain't shit to the tech that's out there

Yeah I have done a few of those tests... System never had issues.   The camera trigger on the SH130 test was overhead laser sensors.  But the cameras are almost always recording and then the trigger just tells them what frames to save and associate with the transaction.  

The new ALPR software can run on an iPhone and I can just hold my phone out the window, drive a parking lot and its identifying the license plates in real time.   

The rock thrower tow trucker was almost caught with the ALPR tech but I cant tell that story...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hornian said:

Why not? 

Well I heard they had abandoned cars (on shoulder) on 35 that had cameras in them and they would collect license plates and they were matching/narrowing down the LP numbers for the incident.  He was on a short list right before they they matched the 911 calls.   or so i heard

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

I'd imagine it's just OCR tied to a law enforcement query backend, right? At this point it's not really a novel technology

2 hours ago, mackavelli said:

Yeah I have done a few of those tests... System never had issues.   The camera trigger on the SH130 test was overhead laser sensors.  But the cameras are almost always recording and then the trigger just tells them what frames to save and associate with the transaction.  

The new ALPR software can run on an iPhone and I can just hold my phone out the window, drive a parking lot and its identifying the license plates in real time.   

The rock thrower tow trucker was almost caught with the ALPR tech but I cant tell that story...

I think the official term is SCMODS

2 hours ago, mackavelli said:

Well I heard they had abandoned cars (on shoulder) on 35 that had cameras in them and they would collect license plates and they were matching/narrowing down the LP numbers for the incident.  He was on a short list right before they they matched the 911 calls.   or so i heard

sources and methods

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Two quick resignations.  Cleaning house.  Perhaps my weekly trips to ABIA will be safer lol.  Glad to see them gone. 

They seemed legit 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Thank god Houston police are finally addressing the issues that REALLY matter!

Like people not paying tolls! Those absolute menaces to society

Revenue generators. To collect and serve! 

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Thank god Houston police are finally addressing the issues that REALLY matter!

Like people not paying tolls! Those absolute menaces to society

Or paying for registrations, having their fucking piece of shit hoopties inspected, bad guys hiding in plain sight, etc etc etc. Fuck all of them. Keep after them!

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I think the citation to tow rate should be a lot closer to 1:1.

Until that happens it will continue.  And to be clear about my motives, it is because most of them are uninsured.

Anyone pulled over with paper plates or without insurance should be towed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 6:55 AM, mackavelli said:

nice try, txtow

• Haha 3