Xavier Worthy needs to ask Quinn Ewers to Pluckers

StassneyHorn

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

By coasting do you mean routinely getting open and beating his man and sometimes also a safety by 2-3 yards, also by taking on punt return duties when he really didn’t have to, and also being a willing blocker downfield as a receiver. Worthy did a lot of things most high profile receivers wouldn’t bother doing but some of you are going to dump on him as cover for Ewers. Especially you. Yes he dove for that ball in the Bama game because it was catchable. We would have saw more of that if he had more catchable balls thrown his way. And if he really didn’t want to be here he had the opportunity to bounce after last year. In this new NIL world I’m not going to shit on our own guys trying to get paid when we are going to be throwing out offers to guys on other teams in efforts to try and get them to come play here for pay. Some of you need to stop being a bunch of whiny ass bitches. 

No I mean run the routes the way they are supposed to be run. Quit allowing yourself to be redirected. Jump for a ball. Dive for a ball. Come back for a ball. Stick your hands up for a ball. Don't drop the ones that hit you square in the hands. Run hard on routes. Gain a couple pounds in the offseason like just about everyone else does between their freshman and sophomore year. I don't know how you guys don't see how this kid in his current mindset is hurting the team. I am sure wherever he goes he will try hard again because he has to prove himself to that team AND most importantly its a draftable year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

No I mean run the routes the way they are supposed to be run. Quit allowing yourself to be redirected. Jump for a ball. Dive for a ball. Come back for a ball. Stick your hands up for a ball. Don't drop the ones that hit you square in the hands. Run hard on routes. Gain a couple pounds in the offseason like just about everyone else does between their freshman and sophomore year. I don't know how you guys don't see how this kid in his current mindset is hurting the team. I am sure wherever he goes he will try hard again because he has to prove himself to that team AND most importantly its a draftable year. 

Lmao at the notion that a WR that is more open than not, isn’t running good routes. Also Worthy is what opens up all the underneath stuff because more often than not he is taking a safety with him. And you are already hedging on him having a better year somewhere else, because you know what will happen if he plays with a more accurate QB. Funny no one was lamenting Worthy’s effort last year but all of a sudden it’s issue #1 for some of you. Do I need to remind some of you who was our biggest player recruiter for Ewers, and who is Ewers roommate. But yeah he is out there dogging it for his QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Lmao at the notion that a WR that is more open than not, isn’t running good routes. Also Worthy is what opens up all the underneath stuff because more often than not he is taking a safety with him. And you are already hedging on him having a better year somewhere else, because you know what will happen if he plays with a more accurate QB. Funny no one was lamenting Worthy’s effort last year but all of a sudden it’s issue #1 for some of you. Do I need to remind some of you who was our biggest player recruiter for Ewers, and who is Ewers roommate. But yeah he is out there dogging it for his QB.

Not trying to be an ass but did you play any football? 

In practice you run through your routes and get on the same page. For example, when you run a 9 route for a fade, you are supposed to shake your defender but then you get vertical. Your DB is going to try and force you to the sideline. You have to lean into them and keep vertical. In the KU game Worthy got walked to the sideline which doesn't give your QB a place to throw. You can see this happening time and time again if you are looking for it. Quinn still hit him and he dropped it.

There is an example like that in every game which is why you are hearing more and more people saying his his effort isn't there. I just spotted it earlier than most.

Last year Worthy tried a lot harder, and if you watch his 21 highlight reel you can't find that same level of effort this year. Let me remind you that Casey Thompson was his quarterback. He has been checked out. To say it's anything other than that is silly. We see the same thing with NFL guys. Play hard to get a contract and then coast. Zeke Elliott is on that shit right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

In practice you run through your routes and get on the same page. For example, when you run a 9 route for a fade, you are supposed to shake your defender but then you get vertical. Your DB is going to try and force you to the sideline. You have to lean into them and keep vertical. In the KU game Worthy got walked to the sideline which doesn't give your QB a place to throw. You can see this happening time and time again if you are looking for it. Quinn still hit him and he dropped it.

There is an example like that in every game which is why you are hearing more and more people saying his his effort isn't there. I just spotted it earlier than most.

Last year Worthy tried a lot harder, and if you watch his 21 highlight reel you can't find that same level of effort this year. Let me remind you that Casey Thompson was his quarterback. He has been checked out. To say it's anything other than that is silly. We see the same thing with NFL guys. Play hard to get a contract and then coast. Zeke Elliott is on that shit right now.

He’s right the @SarkAfterDarkretard wrong 

28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Zeke still fights to get the extra yard.  Even though Pollard is a better all around back now, Zeke is still a much better short yardage guy.

Zeke's probably has always been his weight. He eats and loses a step, then he trims down. He is currently fat Zeke. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/nfl/news-bro-don-t-need-food-nfl-fans-mock-cowboys-rb-ezekiel-elliott-recent-weight-gain

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

He’s not going anywhere.  He’s a wr #1,  has solid numbers on an improving team. Y’all reading too much in to a kids social media. 

I hope he stays, gains some weight, and comes back with a vengeance next year. It just feels like he has known he wasn't coming back since the beginning of the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

He’s not going anywhere.  He’s a wr #1,  has solid numbers on an improving team. Y’all reading too much in to a kids social media. 

I tend to agree while also not discounting the chance it happens because of NIL and specifically Riley at USC. Just depends on what Texas is willing to do and what he try’s to demand as @closetojumping has said.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Lol some of y’all just like to argue. Bro just fucking watch him. He doesn’t try. If it’s not his hands, he gives up. He doesn’t like contact, he runs directly to the sideline every time he gets the ball. He’s fast and that’s mainly it

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

If I told you what level of football I played you wouldn't believe me anyway so no point in going there. But from someone that has played football I can tell you that if you're expecting what happens at practice to be exactly what happens on game day then you are doing it wrong. There is some reading and reacting that needs to happen during the game. The QB nor the WR shouldn't think they can either run or throw to a specific spot just because they were able to do so in practice. That is a recipe for disaster. Yes there is generally a route that the QB should expect but if his WR is open 2 yards outside the hash instead of right on it he should be able to make that throw.

For every little critique you have of Worthy I could likely match it with a critique of someone else on the team. But I'm really not in the business of continually shitting on one of our own and I'm not going to act like we are a better team without one of our best guys on it. But for every drop you can show me, I can show you a ball that was overthrown. And you still didn't answer why you think Worthy would play with less effort for the QB he personally went out and recruited to get and also made him his roommate? Why did he take on punt return duties and also wanted to do kick return? Why is he blocking downfield if he just didn't want to play with any effort this year?

And if it's NIL related that has caused this heel turn on Worthy,  then I should also remind some of you someone decommitted from this team, reclassified and committed somewhere else for NIL purposes and then when in the transfer portal we had to outbid Texas fucking Tech for his services. But no smoke there huh.

Edited by SarkAfterDark
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

If I told you what level of football I played you wouldn't believe me anyway so no point in going there. But from someone that has played football I can tell you that if you're expecting what happens at practice to be exactly what happens on game day then you are doing it wrong. There is some reading and reacting that needs to happen during the game. The QB nor the WR shouldn't think they can either run or throw to a specific spot just because they were able to do so in practice. That is a recipe for disaster. Yes there is generally a route that the QB should expect but if his WR is open 2 yards outside the hash instead of right on it he should be able to make that throw.

For every little critique you have of Worthy I could likely match it with a critique of someone else on the team. But I'm really not in the business of continually shitting on one of our own and I'm not going to act like we are a better team without one of our best guys on it. But for every drop you can show me, I can show you a ball that was overthrown. And you still didn't answer why you think Worthy would play with less effort for the QB he personally went out and recruited to get and also made him his roommate? Why did he take on punt return duties and also wanted to do kick return? Why is he blocking downfield if he just didn't want to play with any effort this year?

And if it's NIL related that has caused this heel turn on Worthy,  then I should also remind some of you someone decommitted from this team, reclassified and committed somewhere else for NIL purposes and then when in the transfer portal we had to outbid Texas fucking Tech for his services. But no smoke there huh.

Sight adjustments are also discussed, like if a safety is coming over from the left the receiver should expect the ball over his right shoulder. We all get that as that shit is taught in middle school. However getting walked 10 yards off the spot is not okay. 

A 40 yard ball is in the air a long time. If it hits within a couple yards left or right of you then you could've made a play for it. 

As for your question when I was on campus my music and half my video games were stolen out of my room by the end of the first year. I can't tell you why your roommate wouldn't have your back. Wrong guy to ask. 

44 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I tend to agree while also not discounting the chance it happens because of NIL and specifically Riley at USC. Just depends on what Texas is willing to do and what he try’s to demand as @closetojumping has said.

Worthy made good money this year. He made more than I would wager most folks on this board made for the year. He chose to threaten to enter the portal the last day possible in May and squeezed Texas supporters for everything he could in doing so.

This wasn’t corporate money. These are fans. They’re also human. For him to go through the same process this time was expected, and USC has done nothing but talk shit to him since May. That considered, the prices they’re claiming to be willing to offer up aren’t worth it. If the rumors are legitimate, smart roster management focuses on signing the guys committed, landing Greathouse/Moore/Parker - 1 or more, retaining Neyor and developing Hall, Thompson, Red and the other guys. Then use high level NIL money to add a couple of other guys that are high-priced and worth it, but not breaking the bank. Evan Stewart would go a long way on this front but I am skeptical that he’s actually smart enough to leave ATM.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

This might be a question more suitable for the recruiting board, but obviously the NIL operation is going to require the equivalent of an NFL "capologist" when it comes to managing these rosters/moves. Is it out of line to ask if that position is currently filled at Texas, or is this a case where the unchartered waters are forcing people with the necessary skillsets to be identified, promoted and empowered?

10 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This might be a question more suitable for the recruiting board, but obviously the NIL operation is going to require the equivalent of an NFL "capologist" when it comes to managing these rosters/moves. Is it out of line to ask if that position is currently filled at Texas, or is this a case where the uncharted waters are forcing people with the necessary skillsets to be identified, promoted and empowered?

Texas is thankfully further ahead than most on a lot of the new world with the portal and NIL. They have a group with a leader focused on scouting other programs at every level, plus the high school scouting, plus scouting the team itself. I think someone can probably unwind all of that with sleuthing what’s publicly available.

Nonetheless, a “capologist” doesn’t exist and will likely be more compliant and secure for the process if housed inside of Texas One Fund as an employee. I guess we’ll see how it unfolds no later than within the next 12 months. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This might be a question more suitable for the recruiting board, but obviously the NIL operation is going to require the equivalent of an NFL "capologist" when it comes to managing these rosters/moves. Is it out of line to ask if that position is currently filled at Texas, or is this a case where the unchartered waters are forcing people with the necessary skillsets to be identified, promoted and empowered?

The equivalent of an NFL cap casualty is kind of how I'd look at the Worthy situation. Worthy may be the first high profile guy we've seen push the envelope on NIL/compensation at Texas, but he will not be the last; as the landscape at the college level evolves into something more professionalized, this will continue to happen.

The sour grapes from fans can get a little texaggy at times, but no soundly run pro team would hamstring their ability to acquire and retain elite talent at QB, on the lines, etc. for a WR. He's a very good player; if he leaves, it can't reasonably be spun as anything but a significant loss, but Texas has finite resources. Just as leaving would be a business decision for Worthy, it would be the same for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

Use Xavier’s money as part of a $15 million 1 year NIL deal for Bijan to delay his NFL career for a season, which is roughly equivalent to year 1 salary and bonus of the 10th pick in last years draft.  Line up a walk-on at Worthy’s spot.  Watch the walk-on WR drop fewer balls, Bijan rush for 2,000 + heisman, and Texas to make a playoff run.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This might be a question more suitable for the recruiting board, but obviously the NIL operation is going to require the equivalent of an NFL "capologist" when it comes to managing these rosters/moves. Is it out of line to ask if that position is currently filled at Texas, or is this a case where the uncharted waters are forcing people with the necessary skillsets to be identified, promoted and empowered?

Feels like it’s what these GM positions are for 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I read that worthy is in the bottom 20 or so out of 200+ receivers in terms of reception percentage on pass attempts > 20 yards. He drops a lot of balls that hit him in the hands. Production wise he shouldn’t be hard to replace. 

It kind of helps when there's a QB who can throw a semi-accurate ball > 20 yards.  Not surprisingly, his top two games in receiving yards this year were with Card, when Card only played in the majority of 4 games.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

By coasting do you mean routinely getting open and beating his man and sometimes also a safety by 2-3 yards, also by taking on punt return duties when he really didn’t have to, and also being a willing blocker downfield as a receiver. Worthy did a lot of things most high profile receivers wouldn’t bother doing but some of you are going to dump on him as cover for Ewers. Especially you. Yes he dove for that ball in the Bama game because it was catchable. We would have saw more of that if he had more catchable balls thrown his way. And if he really didn’t want to be here he had the opportunity to bounce after last year. In this new NIL world I’m not going to shit on our own guys trying to get paid when we are going to be throwing out offers to guys on other teams in efforts to try and get them to come play here for pay. Some of you need to stop being a bunch of whiny ass bitches. 

His effort to make plays on balls was deplorable on the whole. He probably dropped 400 yards and 5 TDs. I’m not going to cavalierly say we won’t miss him. But he regressed significantly this season, and I don’t like his attitude and effort. I don’t like him and will shit freely on him, hoping it’s diarrhea. 

46 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The equivalent of an NFL cap casualty is kind of how I'd look at the Worthy situation. Worthy may be the first high profile guy we've seen push the envelope on NIL/compensation at Texas, but he will not be the last; as the landscape at the college level evolves into something more professionalized, this will continue to happen.

The sour grapes from fans can get a little texaggy at times, but no soundly run pro team would hamstring their ability to acquire and retain elite talent at QB, on the lines, etc. for a WR. He's a very good player; if he leaves, it can't reasonably be spun as anything but a significant loss, but Texas has finite resources. Just as leaving would be a business decision for Worthy, it would be the same for Texas.

Yep, unfortunately we're gonna have to get used to this. Every school will. Just like every NFL team has good players leave in free agency.

Losing Worthy would suck but letting him walk might be the right decision from a financial standpoint if you can use that same money to get another good WR plus other players. It sucks that CFB has come to this. 

11 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

It kind of helps when there's a QB who can throw a semi-accurate ball > 20 yards.  Not surprisingly, his top two games in receiving yards this year were with Card, when Card only played in the majority of 4 games.

Several of those misses were due to his inability or refusal to adjust to the ball in flight. Maybe he needs to see an ophthalmologist 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

It really is a crazy world in college football right now.

I know Worthy has frustrated fans at times, but he’s one of our more talented players, there’s no guarantee that Neyor or any of our WR recruits will be any better, and folks are talking about letting him walk because he might be too expensive.

But that’s the reality of where we are, and I trust the confidence in folks like closetojumpung that Texas has competent people in place to navigate this landscape as good as any program can.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Several of those misses were due to his inability or refusal to adjust to the ball in flight. Maybe he needs to see an ophthalmologist 

Maybe "several", but not the majority, which were overthrown by 5 yards when he was already sprinting or thrown completely off-line.

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

His effort to make plays on balls was deplorable on the whole. He probably dropped 400 yards and 5 TDs. I’m not going to cavalierly say we won’t miss him. But he regressed significantly this season, and I don’t like his attitude and effort. I don’t like him and will shit freely on him, hoping it’s diarrhea. 

Wat.  How many drops do you think he had?  He averaged 12.8 yards per catch, so that would be 31 drops.  Where do you people come up with this shit?

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Maybe "several", but not the majority, which were overthrown by 5 yards when he was already sprinting or thrown completely off-line.

Wat.  How many drops do you think he had?  He averaged 12.8 yards per catch, so that would be 31 drops.  Where do you people come up with this shit?

Are you serious?  Look at his deep route catch rate. I.e. longer than his average 13 ypc route. It’s deplorable. And a significant number of those were drops. 400 yards may be too aggressive. 300 isn’t. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Are you serious?  Look at his deep route catch rate. I.e. longer than his average 13 ypc route. It’s deplorable. And a significant number of those were drops. 400 yards may be too aggressive. 300 isn’t. 

Are you serious?  Stop drinking when you watch games.  Most deep balls thrown to him were uncatchable, not drops.  Most of the board rails on Worthy for not even making an attempt on them, while you're here saying he dropped them.  Which one is it?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Are you serious?  Stop drinking when you watch games.  Most deep balls thrown to him were uncatchable, not drops.  Most of the board rails on Worthy for not even making an attempt on them, while you're here saying he dropped them.  Which one is it?

Both. Mostly the former. But he flat out dropped multiple TDs this year, and at least 3 deep balls. Add in all his other drops and his ability to get YAC, and I feel confident he dropped 300-400. 

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Both. Mostly the former. But he flat out dropped multiple TDs this year, and at least 3 deep balls. Add in all his other drops and his ability to get YAC, and I feel confident he dropped 300-400. 

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there, unless you want to put together a compilation of all these drops this year, which would not come anywhere close to 31.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you there, unless you want to put together a compilation of all these drops this year, which would not come anywhere close to 31.

Your reading comprehension, or ability to follow a conversation, is bad. Again, most of his most noteworthy drops were deep balls. Stop using the average YPC as it’s meaningless. 

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Your reading comprehension, or ability to follow a conversation, is bad. Again, most of his most noteworthy drops were deep balls. Stop using the average YPC as it’s meaningless. 

So using his average YPC, when it's a mix of short and long passes is meaningless when you said "He probably dropped 400 yards and 5 TDs"?  Does your 400 yards of dropped passes include both short and long passes?  Fine, let's rewind to 2021, when he averaged 15.8 and had QBs capable of throwing a ball within his zip code.  That would be 25 drops.  Show me even 5 of his deep ball drops this year.  Just 5.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah the attitude of good riddance to Worthy is just stupid.  So he’s not good at making adjustments or high pointing the ball.  But he has elite speed that DCs have to account for, is good in the return game and perimeter game, and plays through contact really well for a guy his size.   It would be a significant loss.  I hope he stays and continues to make plays for us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah the attitude of good riddance to Worthy is just stupid.  So he’s not good at making adjustments or high pointing the ball.  But he has elite speed that DCs have to account for, is good in the return game and perimeter game, and plays through contact really well for a guy his size.   It would be a significant loss.  I hope he stays and continues to make plays for us. 

Well, this is the same board who had morons who were happy to see Sam move on, so there's that.  Not to mention everyone is acting like he left already based on doing stupid stuff on social media, when he's done stuff like that in the past.  He did like this on Twitter:

image.png.31812182303d2d311d1fdb9fc90b268e.png

Edited by OU Sucks

18 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I like Brenen Thompson’s upside more tbh. Not heartbroken to see him go. I thought he would be senior season Duvernay but nah…deuces

I definitely believe a lot of people are sleeping on Brenen Thompson.  He was very raw when he arrived but with a year in the program and spring football, I expect big things from him.