Xavier Worthy needs to ask Quinn Ewers to Pluckers

StassneyHorn

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

So using his average YPC, when it's a mix of short and long passes is meaningless when you said "He probably dropped 400 yards and 5 TDs"?  Does your 400 yards of dropped passes include both short and long passes?  Fine, let's rewind to 2021, when he averaged 15.8 and had QBs capable of throwing a ball within his zip code.  That would be 25 drops.  Show me even 5 of his deep ball drops this year.  Just 5.

How many times do I have to say the most egregious drops were deep routes, starting with Bama (maybe ULM) - far exceeding either 14 or 16 yards downfield?  I do agree that the majority of his drops have been smoke routes or very short screen routes, and there is no telling if he’d break those to equal his YPC total. I get your point. But it’s not at all addressing my point, which is what kills us are his downfield* drops, and yes, non-attempts at underthrown balls, which is in part due to his small stature in combination with Quinn inaccuracy downfield. I don’t know if it’s 400-500 yards. I don’t know if the 5 more TDs he should have had were solely on his hands. I do know I’m directionally correct based on my memory, and I do know he regressed this season when he had better QBs and a better line protecting those QBs. 

I do believe, also, that this Board is way too flippant to dismiss his apparent portal flirtation. I want him back. I don’t want him back if his attitude will continue his regression. We have a ton of talent coming in and Neyor and Cook COULD fill his role. I suspect we will be fine but would rather have him back for 1,000+ yards and 12+ TDs, as opposed to the 676 and 9 he had this year. Even with Sanders having a breakout season and Whitt being solid, Worthy is our best receiver. But could be SO much better. 

*Smoke route drops may stall a drive that may otherwise have been nonproductive. His downfield issues directly took points off the board. In college football you must score on large chunk plays, particularly with an inexperienced QB. 

Edited by Porterhouse

Just now, Porterhouse said:

How many times do I have to say the most egregious drops were deep routes, starting with Bama (maybe ULM) - far exceeding either 14 or 16 yards downfield?  I do agree that the majority of his drops have been smoke routes or very short screen routes, and there is no telling if he’d break those to equal his YPC total. I get your point. But it’s not at all addressing my point, which is what kills us are his drops, and yes, non-attempts at underthrown balls, which is in part due to his small stature in combination with Quinn inaccuracy downfield. I don’t know if it’s 400-500 yards. I don’t know if the 5 more TDs he should have had were solely on his hands. I do know I’m directionally correct based on my memory, and I do know he regressed this season when he had better QBs and a better line protecting those QBs. 

I do believe, also, that this Board is way too flippant to dismiss his apparent portal flirtation. I want him back. I don’t want him back if his attitude will continue his regression. We have a ton of talent coming in and Neyor and Cook COULD fill his role. I suspect we will be fine but would rather have him back for 1,000+ yards and 12+ TDs, as opposed to the 676 and 9 he had this year. Even with Sanders having a breakout season and Whitt being solid, Worthy is our best receiver. But could be SO much better. 

The point is you are imagining the fact that his "most egregious drops were deep routes".  I just watched the "Every Xavier Worthy Target || ULM-TCU" video and I'm not seeing anywhere close to 400 yards of dropped passes.  Even if you include the passes that were batted away by defenders at the last second (which aren't drops), I don't think you can get to 400.

There isn't a cap, but any school is going to be realistic about how much money they have available and what they should spend. Don't expect anyone to go overboard by trying to buy an All-American team here in year 2 of NIL. Those more closely involved with NIL can give the ins and outs, but no matter how deep Texas' pockets may be, you can't just expect blank checks for every Jimmy or Joe who comes through the complex.

23 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Forgive my NIL ignorance, but a lot of people are talking like there's already some kind of cap on NIL.  There's not is there?  Could we not pay Worthy and then also pay more for other people?  Isn't that one of the greatest advantages Texas has in the NIL world?  The ability to buy anyone?

Just understand that we’re not talking about any sort of investment when NIL is being discussed. This is straight up people giving their money away to a college athlete saying “fuck you, pay me”. It’s not gratifying and there is nothing coming back your way other than a thanks. 

Maybe that doesn’t work for you, but you don’t even give to Burnt Ends, so you’ve got to understand the logic on some level. 

Corporate NIL will always help Texas, and Worthy has some of that, but if there is another school with as much or more corporate NIL wherewithal, it is USC. Hell, I’m surprised promises to get guys into a movie or tv show for a speaking cameo haven’t been tossed out already. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

There isn't a cap, but any school is going to be realistic about how much money they have available and what they should spend. Don't expect anyone to go overboard by trying to buy an All-American team here in year 2 of NIL. Those more closely involved with NIL can give the ins and outs, but no matter how deep Texas' pockets may be, you can't just expect blank checks for every Jimmy or Joe who comes through the complex.

I don’t know shit about how NIL works, but doesn’t UT has little/no say in how much total NIL $$ a player can make?

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just understand that we’re not talking about any sort of investment when NIL is being discussed. This is straight up people giving their money away to a college athlete saying “fuck you, pay me”. It’s not gratifying and there is nothing coming back your way other than a thanks. 

Maybe that doesn’t work for you, but you don’t even give to Burnt Ends, so you’ve got to understand the logic on some level. 

Corporate NIL will always help Texas, and Worthy has some of that, but if there is another school with as much or more corporate NIL wherewithal, it is USC. Hell, I’m surprised promises to get guys into a movie or tv show for a speaking cameo haven’t been tossed out already. 

Gotcha.  Yeah, I'm not ever going to pay for a college player in any way.  Just seems silly to me.  I think they should be paid, but certainly not by me.  But I'm glad that a lot of people with way more money than me are apparently willing to.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gotcha.  Yeah, I'm not ever going to pay for a college player in any way.  Just seems silly to me.  I think they should be paid, but certainly not by me.  But I'm glad that a lot of people with way more money than me are apparently willing to.

It wasn’t a shot or anything. I don’t judge how other people want to spend their time or money as long as it isn’t harming others. But you followed my meaning of the point, so we’re good but put it on steroids for guys like Worthy. They cost a ton and they’re not super awesome guys just playing for the love of the game. Texas has those guys too, and they get paid too, so there’s nothing rotting here or elsewhere, it’s just going to be different. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If X is moving on for more money then it's a pretty smart decision. He hasn't shown to be a "team first" guy, and if he can get some more cash now then good on him. He's quicker than a wet fart, but his size, poor technique & suspect hands are going to hold him back when it comes to the draft. Looks like a round 3-4 guy now.

5 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Are you serious?  Stop drinking when you watch games.  Most deep balls thrown to him were uncatchable, not drops.  Most of the board rails on Worthy for not even making an attempt on them, while you're here saying he dropped them.  Which one is it?

Quit drinking when watching games? Are you fucking nuts?  At times that's the only way I (we) can get through a game without getting committed somewhere with padded walls.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

If he's having emotional issues, I hope we have the team in place to help him out. A million things can be going on in a guy's life that we have no idea about. He's young and under a ton of pressure.

You know as well as I that not everyone that needs help knows they need it. First step and all. 

I don't think he's fighting demons in that way. I think he smells the money. Fine. Go get the money. He's good, but there are others. He might be missed. He might have been better used, but if he wants out let him go. 

19 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Quit drinking when watching games? Are you fucking nuts?  At times that's the only way I (we) can get through a game without getting committed somewhere with padded walls.

Lol, well you're fine because you didn't come up with an insanely-inflated "400 yards worth of drops" number out of nowhere.  Carry on with your drinking.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Would he be the no 1 receiver at either of those schools?

At Bama, yes. Woefully lacking any sort of deep threat this year and they'd go hard after him. Same body type as their WRs of late - DeVonta Smith, for example. But do you want to go to O'Brien with Jalen Milroe stepping in? You could do worse I guess.

Is Neyor even going to be healthy for the spring? This is a more general question, but how are schools going to handle injuries in NIL? If you are Texas do you even get into a bidding war for Neyor when you don’t even know what he will be post injury? I could see a scenario where Texas pursues other options. Or at least I would if he tries to leverage for more money. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Is Neyor even going to be healthy for the spring? This is a more general question, but how are schools going to handle injuries in NIL? If you are Texas do you even get into a bidding war for Neyor when you don’t even know what he will be post injury? I could see a scenario where Texas pursues other options. Or at least I would if he tries to leverage for more money. 

Doesn’t Neyor have to sit a year if he transfers again? Maybe I’m imagining that.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

He’s not even going to be able to show what he can do until after spring ball. What team would take a guy like that?

LSU once told one of our guys who was medically retired they could get him cleared, so for sure they would and Lincoln Riley is a giant piece of shit so he would tamper just to fuck with us. 

College athletics is going to be such a fucking shitshow. If the direction we are heading is to just "renegotiate" every offseason for any player worth a shit based on production, or how a 19 year old kid got his feels hurt etc... I might as well watch the NFL/NBA/MLB  with better talent at each position. At least those leagues don't require their fan base to also pay the salaries of their players beyond the tickets/TV/concessions/merchandise we already pay for. The fact that the richest athletic department in the country cant compete without their fans kicking in tens of millions of additional money  makes it hard for me to really give a shit. Its an arms race that will result in the mutually assured destruction of the sport itself. 

Specifically regarding Worthy, I hope he comes back. He's not perfect, but he's got talent, and we'll be better next year with him. I wouldn't break the bank to make it happen though because I'm not sure we have a QB on campus today that can get him the ball enough to justify his annual pay raise requests. He's not the "final piece." If he wants to play here, great. If he wants to play at USC/Bama, he can eat a dick. Actually if he wants to eat dicks, he'll end up in Norman. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over a guy that doesn't want to be here. If that's how he feels, he should leave, and thats been the case for as long as I've been a Texas fan. Bribing a malcontent to hang around on a team will always do more harm than good. 

• Hook 'Em 9

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

LSU once told one of our guys who was medically retired they could get him cleared, so for sure they would and Lincoln Riley is a giant piece of shit so he would tamper just to fuck with us. 

I have no doubt he will be medically cleared. The question is how will he be able to perform? There’s no way to evaluate that at this point.

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

College athletics is going to be such a fucking shitshow. If the direction we are heading is to just "renegotiate" every offseason for any player worth a shit based on production, or how a 19 year old kid got his feels hurt etc... I might as well watch the NFL/NBA/MLB  with better talent at each position. At least those leagues don't require their fan base to also pay the salaries of their players beyond the tickets/TV/concessions/merchandise we already pay for. The fact that the richest athletic department in the country cant compete without their fans kicking in tens of millions of additional money  makes it hard for me to really give a shit. Its an arms race that will result in the mutually assured destruction of the sport itself. 

Specifically regarding Worthy, I hope he comes back. He's not perfect, but he's got talent, and we'll be better next year with him. I wouldn't break the bank to make it happen though because I'm not sure we have a QB on campus today that can get him the ball enough to justify his annual pay raise requests. He's not the "final piece." If he wants to play here, great. If he wants to play at USC/Bama, he can eat a dick. Actually if he wants to eat dicks, he'll end up in Norman. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over a guy that doesn't want to be here. If that's how he feels, he should leave, and thats been the case for as long as I've been a Texas fan. Bribing a malcontent to hang around on a team will always do more harm than good. 

I mean, they literally can’t. Because, like, rules and stuff.

12 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

The point is you are imagining the fact that his "most egregious drops were deep routes".  I just watched the "Every Xavier Worthy Target || ULM-TCU" video and I'm not seeing anywhere close to 400 yards of dropped passes.  Even if you include the passes that were batted away by defenders at the last second (which aren't drops), I don't think you can get to 400.

That's because you aren't getting what he is saying. He is saying that his average would go up if he caught the balls he has dropped. 

9 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

What I actually took away from this is, Card should have been our QB for most of the season.

If you check the stats on downfield throws they have roughly the same shitty percentage. Take that with the fact that Ewers played the tougher teams defensively too. Don't let a couple busted coverages fool you. Both of those guys struggled mightily, just coach called a different offense for Card. The offense he called last week for Quinn where he completed 75% of his passes is the offense he calls for Card. A lot of short passes and a lot of 11 personnel. 

11 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

this was De'Gabriel Floyd, right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

That's because you aren't getting what he is saying. He is saying that his average would go up if he caught the balls he has dropped.

Jesus dude, why do you always pick up other people's arguments for them way after the fact?  I get what he said, and also gave his average from last year, when he had a QB who could deliver a semi-accurate downfield pass.  And none of the above matters because I counted up the drops he had this year through the TCU game, and it's nowhere near 400 yards.  Here they are with approximately how many yards he would have picked up, had he caught the ball.  Just for sake of argument, I've included some passes which weren't really drops, but were contested balls where he got a hand on it, or ones where he didn't survive the ground:

1. 41
  2. 38
  3. 10
  4. 21
  5. 19
  6. 3
  7. 28
  8. 16
  9. 3

It's around 179 yards.  That's not 400.  That's not even 300.  It's 179, and that includes about 80 yards of debatable ones that weren't technically drops or weren't all his fault (thrown behind him, etc.).  Is that good that he didn't catch that many balls that were catchable?  Of course not.  But it sure as heck wasn't anywhere close to 400 yards of drops, which was my only point.

Edited by OU Sucks

13 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Jesus dude, why do you always pick up other people's arguments for them way after the fact?  I get what he said, and also gave his average from last year, when he had a QB who could deliver a semi-accurate downfield pass.  And none of the above matters because I counted up the drops he had this year through the TCU game, and it's nowhere near 400 yards.  Here they are with approximately how many yards he would have picked up, had he caught the ball.  Just for sake of argument, I've included some passes which weren't really drops, but were contested balls where he got a hand on it, or ones where he didn't survive the ground:

1. 41
  2. 38
  3. 10
  4. 21
  5. 19
  6. 3
  7. 28
  8. 16
  9. 3

It's around 179 yards.  That's not 400.  That's not even 300.  It's 179, and that includes about 80 yards of debatable ones that weren't technically drops or weren't all his fault (thrown behind him, etc.).  Is that good that he didn't catch that many balls that were catchable?  Of course not.  But it sure as heck wasn't anywhere close to 400 yards of drops, which was my only point.

Hahaha...okay okay. I will stay out if it. 

• Hook 'Em 1