Xavier Worthy needs to ask Quinn Ewers to Pluckers

StassneyHorn

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hold up. Black guys don’t dig Star Wars? I don’t know how that one got by me. Maybe because I don’t really dig it the way other folks do either, but that still surprises me. 

Not only Star Wars but anything to do with space. If you see poling broken down in America there is literally not a government program that doesn't have like 75% approval until you get to Nasa, and then it's like- fuck that shit- cut Nasa to the bone.  I've heard it's changing some amongst the younger generation and they are becoming as big pf comic book nerds and star wars loving types as the average suburban white kid. 

My wife hates Star Wars, Star Trek and NASA as well.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not only Star Wars but anything to do with space. If you see poling broken down in America there is literally not a government program that doesn't have like 75% approval until you get to Nasa, and then it's like- fuck that shit- cut Nasa to the bone.  I've heard it's changing some amongst the younger generation and they are becoming as big pf comic book nerds and star wars loving types as the average suburban white kid. 

Gil Scott-Heron hates him some NASA...and apparently whitey too.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I would think y'all would hate bridges, not rockets. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I would think y'all would hate bridges, not rockets. 

Low hanging bridges over 100 years old that go through town for sure.

I asked her one day- why do you hate NASA?  She was like- I don't hate NASA it's just a waste of money sending people into space, we could do better stuff with it.  Why bother?

Me- How much do you think we could do?

Her- Pay for all the national debt or fund welfare programs or blah blah blah

Me- You know NASA only gets like $20B right (whatever the figure was at the time)

Her- Only? That's a lot of money

Me- You know that isn't even like 1% of the total budget.  And the tech we develop to do that is really really important to continuing to make military advancements to keep us as a super power and just run of the mill shit that makes its way into our life.

Her- 20B is a lot of money

Me- Hey- what did you say we were doing again on Saturday (while doing a mental face palm). 

• Haha 1

Low hanging bridges over 100 years old that go through town for sure.

I asked her one day- why do you hate NASA?  She was like- I don't hate NASA it's just a waste of money sending people into space, we could do better stuff with it.  Why bother?
Me- How much do you think we could do?
Her- Pay for all the national debt or fund welfare programs or blah blah blah
Me- You know NASA only gets like $20B right (whatever the figure was at the time)
Her- Only? That's a lot of money
Me- You know that isn't even like 1% of the total budget.  And the tech we develop to do that is really really important to continuing to make military advancements to keep us as a super power and just run of the mill shit that makes its way into our life.
Her- 20B is a lot of money
Me- Hey- what did you say we were doing again on Saturday (while doing a mental face palm). 
You should have mentioned the NASA - Tang connection.
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

America's greatest achievement:

PONTIAC-Aztek-1112_14.jpg

Hey, Pontiac sold tens of those. The real achievement wasn't making it, it was convincing people to actually buy it. The marketing campaign was made fun of at the time, but honestly, it might be the most successful marketing campaign in history given what it had to work with. 

Edited by Dahobbs

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Hey, Pontiac sold tens of those. The real achievement wasn't making it, it was convincing people to actually buy it. The marketing campaign was made fun of at the time, but honestly, it might be the most successful marketing campaign in history given what it had to work with. 

Bucky Godbolt used to pimp that thing on his radio show, so I'm assuming the dealership provided him one for free or something.

FCB on Worthy

Spoiler

Everyone wants to know what’s going on with Xavier Worthy, so let’s start there.

Before we get to whether Worthy is staying or going, it’s important to try to understand Worthy - his approach to football, how seriously he takes it, how hard he works at it and that he’s not been your typical college football player from the day he set foot on campus last year as a freshman.

When Worthy didn’t feel comfortable with Michigan, the thing that attracted him most to Texas was Steve Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama and all the Tide receivers who had just come through Tuscaloosa on their way to the NFL, including Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith, who has a similar profile (wiry and blazing fast) to Worthy.

Whether Sarkisian said he could see Worthy having a similar role in his Texas offense as Smith had at Alabama or Worthy could simply see himself in a similar role as Smith — only at Texas — Worthy was sold. And he’s had a relentless work ethic to deliver on that kind of promise since he arrived in Austin.

Worthy doesn’t go out much. He keeps to himself. You can usually find him in his apartment playing video games (he loves Fortnight). His roommates last summer included Quinn Ewers before Worthy and Texas nickel/cornerbacck Jahdae Barron became roommates this fall.

“X (Worthy) is really easy to get along with,” Ewers said.

Sarkisian and teammates have had nothing but praise for Worthy, his work ethic and determination. Receivers in Sarkisian’s offense have to grasp the concepts of an entire play, so they understand exactly how to run a route, how they fit into the progression, their blocking assignments, the play’s use of motion, etc.

Worthy worked his butt off to digest all of that as a freshman and became a freshman All-American who broke UT’s freshman records for receptions (62), receiving yards (981) and touchdown catches (12) in 2021.

According to team sources, other schools reached out to Worthy through intermediaries to see if he was interested in transferring. There might’ve been some NIL deals that came through for Worthy, and he returned.

Sarkisian said earlier this season, “X (Worthy) is the first one to practice most every day.”

After Texas’ 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Worthy was targeted 16 times and caught only four passes for 78 yards and one touchdown, junior receiver Jordan Whittington was asked if he ever needs to talk to Worthy to calm any frustrations that might arise during a game?

“X, he’s an amazing player,” Whittington said. “He goes out and does his thing every week. If I feel like I need to talk to him, I’ll do it, because I’m in that role of leader in the room.

“But for him, he’s the type of player, he just, I don’t know, he’s a special talent — a really good one.”

According to team sources, after UT’s regular season ended with Worthy catching 53 passes for 696 yards and a Big 12-leading nine touchdowns that Worthy sees next season as his last year of college football. And Worthy wants to know if he’s going to work as hard as he does to get open that he ends up in the best situation possible to catch passes, make plays and help a team win big. Like championship big.

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)

Teammates don’t call Worthy selfish. Just the opposite. They see how he gets open, how he blocks downfield for other teammates to make plays and how he tries to impact games in the return game.

“Coaches tell players all the time, ‘Prepare like a pro,’” said one team source. “Worthy does that — and has since he got here. He puts in the work. No one can question that. He obviously was hoping for a better year - not just for him, but for him to help the team elevate to a championship level.”

Steve Sarkisian seemed to be reaching out to Worthy on Monday, when he was asked if Worthy is happy at Texas?

“Well, I think the one thing about Xavier is this: he's a highly competitive young man,” Sarkisian said. “And from the moment he arrived on our campus, he came to work; and he came to work to earn an opportunity to play; came to work to become a starter. He came to work to be the best receiver he could be, whether that was in our conference or in the country.

“So I think the guy's got a high sense of competitiveness and drive to be the best. And he works that way every day. And so sometimes when you don't get the actual result of it, that can become a sense of frustration. I would much rather have a receiver that's frustrated that he didn't contribute more to a win than a guy who's content going on the field and playing and the ball not coming his way because I think he values his ability to get open. I do too. I get it, you know.”

Before being asked about Worthy, Sarkisian said a top priority going into Texas’ bowl game would be improving the passing game. In UT’s last five games, Quinn Ewers completed only 50 percent of his passes (78-of-156) with five touchdowns and four interceptions and was sacked eight times.

“It takes all 11,” Sarkisian said. “And it takes precision and execution. That's an area where I know we're going to spend a lot of time on, cleaning that up.”

After talking to sources, there was a sense after the regular-season ended, Worthy was determined to look elsewhere for a school where he would be showcased AND have a chance to win a championship.

But UT coaches “have put on a full-court press” to reassure Worthy that Texas is that place, according to a team source. Now, there’s a sense, according to those sources, that Worthy is leaning toward staying

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on Worthy

Hide contents

Everyone wants to know what’s going on with Xavier Worthy, so let’s start there.

Before we get to whether Worthy is staying or going, it’s important to try to understand Worthy - his approach to football, how seriously he takes it, how hard he works at it and that he’s not been your typical college football player from the day he set foot on campus last year as a freshman.

When Worthy didn’t feel comfortable with Michigan, the thing that attracted him most to Texas was Steve Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama and all the Tide receivers who had just come through Tuscaloosa on their way to the NFL, including Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith, who has a similar profile (wiry and blazing fast) to Worthy.

Whether Sarkisian said he could see Worthy having a similar role in his Texas offense as Smith had at Alabama or Worthy could simply see himself in a similar role as Smith — only at Texas — Worthy was sold. And he’s had a relentless work ethic to deliver on that kind of promise since he arrived in Austin.

Worthy doesn’t go out much. He keeps to himself. You can usually find him in his apartment playing video games (he loves Fortnight). His roommates last summer included Quinn Ewers before Worthy and Texas nickel/cornerbacck Jahdae Barron became roommates this fall.

Sarkisian and teammates have had nothing but praise for Worthy, his work ethic and determination. Receivers in Sarkisian’s offense have to grasp the concepts of an entire play, so they understand exactly how to run a route, how they fit into the progression, their blocking assignments, the play’s use of motion, etc.

Worthy worked his butt off to digest all of that as a freshman and became a freshman All-American who broke UT’s freshman records for receptions (62), receiving yards (981) and touchdown catches (12) in 2021.

According to team sources, other schools reached out to Worthy through intermediaries to see if he was interested in transferring. There might’ve been some NIL deals that came through for Worthy, and he returned.

Sarkisian said earlier this season, “X (Worthy) is the first one to practice most every day.”

After Texas’ 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Worthy was targeted 16 times and caught only four passes for 78 yards and one touchdown, junior receiver Jordan Whittington was asked if he ever needs to talk to Worthy to calm any frustrations that might arise during a game?

“X, he’s an amazing player,” Whittington said. “He goes out and does his thing every week. If I feel like I need to talk to him, I’ll do it, because I’m in that role of leader in the room.

“But for him, he’s the type of player, he just, I don’t know, he’s a special talent — a really good one.”

According to team sources, after UT’s regular season ended with Worthy catching 53 passes for 696 yards and a Big 12-leading nine touchdowns that Worthy sees next season as his last year of college football. And Worthy wants to know if he’s going to work as hard as he does to get open that he ends up in the best situation possible to catch passes, make plays and help a team win big. Like championship big.

Teammates don’t call Worthy selfish. Just the opposite. They see how he gets open, how he blocks downfield for other teammates to make plays and how he tries to impact games in the return game.

“Coaches tell players all the time, ‘Prepare like a pro,’” said one team source. “Worthy does that — and has since he got here. He puts in the work. No one can question that. He obviously was hoping for a better year - not just for him, but for him to help the team elevate to a championship level.”

Steve Sarkisian seemed to be reaching out to Worthy on Monday, when he was asked if Worthy is happy at Texas?

“Well, I think the one thing about Xavier is this: he's a highly competitive young man,” Sarkisian said. “And from the moment he arrived on our campus, he came to work; and he came to work to earn an opportunity to play; came to work to become a starter. He came to work to be the best receiver he could be, whether that was in our conference or in the country.

“So I think the guy's got a high sense of competitiveness and drive to be the best. And he works that way every day. And so sometimes when you don't get the actual result of it, that can become a sense of frustration. I would much rather have a receiver that's frustrated that he didn't contribute more to a win than a guy who's content going on the field and playing and the ball not coming his way because I think he values his ability to get open. I do too. I get it, you know.”

Before being asked about Worthy, Sarkisian said a top priority going into Texas’ bowl game would be improving the passing game. In UT’s last five games, Quinn Ewers completed only 50 percent of his passes (78-of-156) with five touchdowns and four interceptions and was sacked eight times.

“It takes all 11,” Sarkisian said. “And it takes precision and execution. That's an area where I know we're going to spend a lot of time on, cleaning that up.”

After talking to sources, there was a sense after the regular-season ended, Worthy was determined to look elsewhere for a school where he would be showcased AND have a chance to win a championship.

But UT coaches “have put on a full-court press” to reassure Worthy that Texas is that place, according to a team source. Now, there’s a sense, according to those sources, that Worthy is leaning toward staying

performance_weights1.jpg

On 11/29/2022 at 7:33 PM, closetojumping said:

Hold up. Black guys don’t dig Star Wars? I don’t know how that one got by me. Maybe because I don’t really dig it the way other folks do either, but that still surprises me. 

Some do. I do. Most don't care... 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Well that Worthy update sounds nothing like the Surly posts I’ve seen in the last week. Imagine that. 

He was at the basketball game tonight wearing a Worthy/UT shirt. Came over and yucked it up with Sark in his court-side seat and took several pictures with fans and students. 

I figure that’s about as valuable as anything FCB would give you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 12:03 AM, Helobious said:

Checked his instagram for the lulz. He’s got plenty of Texas pics up right now. Let’s see if he throws a tantrum and scrubs it again soon.

Go check it again, the dude has (finally) been lifting