Let's talk about culture

UTEE97

Do we have a culture problem? It's hard to argue against it seeing how our big time recruits come in here and regress no matter who the HC is. The examples of guys improving year after year are few and far between whereas there are many examples of guys who regressed after showing tremendous potential in their freshman year. You can't really blame NIL for lack of efforts, as NIL is not unique to Texas.

We have plenty of talent to play better, but the problem is our talented players rarely play with an edge (except for a few). You see plenty of players standing around or pretending to be involved. What is the excuse for that? The defense plays like they expect to give up yards and points because perhaps the offense will outscore the opponent. The DBs don't make any attempt to shed their blockers. Our WRs rarely make an effort to adjust to the ball. The whole team plays lethargic. 

We can't win consistently unless we want it more than other team but it seems like we only get up for couple of games every year. It has to be a culture issue.

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Do we have a culture problem? It's hard to argue against it seeing how our big time recruits come in here and regress no matter who the HC is. The examples of guys improving year after year are few and far between whereas there are many examples of guys who regressed after showing tremendous potential in their freshman year. You can't really blame NIL for lack of efforts, as NIL is not unique to Texas.

We have plenty of talent to play better, but the problem is our talented players rarely play with an edge (except for a few). You see plenty of players standing around or pretending to be involved. What is the excuse for that? The defense plays like they expect to give up yards and points because perhaps the offense will outscore the opponent. The DBs don't make any attempt to shed their blockers. Our WRs rarely make an effort to adjust to the ball. The whole team plays lethargic. 

We can't win consistently unless we want it more than other team but it seems like we only get up for couple of games every year. It has to be a culture issue.

Sounds like a coaching problem. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don’t know anything about the “culture” of the team, or what that really even means.

No one does, it's just a fun way to tell a story that just so happens to already align with someone's overall worldview. Certainly wasn't any culture problem when we were stomping OU 49-0.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

culture in football is such a woolly topic.

the more obvious, concrete issue is when some players cant execute for shit, they need to be swapped out.  it doesnt need to be an indictment on their potential or careers... its just... theyre not playing good, put in somebody who has a chance of playing more good at that moment in time.  goddamn.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Xavier Worthy has an effort problem that is pretty egregious this year, and I suppose I could see that being some sort of Roger Dorn ”ole bullshit” thing now that he got his NIL money.

I mean, I’m having a hard time motivating myself to show up and all I do is drink overpriced beer and yell.  So I’m having a tough time blaming him.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The thought of a culture problem comes up every year. I made a thread about it last year.

Our problem resides with people who feel they have to get in a dick measuring contest when it comes to hiring the head football coach. Our problem resides with people who have pride issues so they have to meddle in the hiring of the head football coach. Our Ironman also stems from Mack and, you guessed it, his pride when it came to stepping away.

For once, if those people would just sit down and shut the fuck up and let the best person possible be hired, maybe we wouldn’t need culture problem threads.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Xavier Worthy has an effort problem that is pretty egregious this year, and I suppose I could see that being some sort of Roger Dorn ”ole bullshit” thing now that he got his NIL money. I’ve seen diva WRs who loaf when the play isn’t coming to them.  He won’t even extend his arms or try to adjust to balls actually thrown to him, which is a new one.   Bold strategy, Cotton.

That’s about it, though.  We were tough and played hard under Herman but still were mediocre.  We’re not quite as tough and more mediocre now, but I don’t think the players are lazy party animals or cancerous personalities.  We just are poorly managed, so we do dumb shit that costs us.  And it permeates down from the top, so sometimes it’s dumb shit at the strategic level, sometimes it’s tactical, sometimes it’s just a player not understanding his assignments.  

So, I guess we have a culture problem in the sense any underachieving team that doesn’t run a tight ship has a culture problem.  But I don’t think it’s anything out of the ordinary, except for Worthy and some of the other WRs on occasion.

I think some of you think Worthy’s catch radius is equivalent Megaton's. Its not. He isn’t going to reach for balls 5 feet over his head and 2 feet behind him. Idk maybe watching on TV throws off depth perception and y’all think some of those balls were closer than they actually were. I keep seeing he should have made that play in the end zone but the ball wasn’t even close enough for him to get his hands on it. It was over thrown. Ewers just didn't have great ball placement yesterday. Seems he is starting to throw to spots. But Worthy still hustles to get open and bust his ass blocking down field. The "Worthy is lazy" takes are just that, lazy.

Also this is the most player progression from a year to year basis we have probably seen in over 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 5

When’s the last time we had someone on the team not Bo Davis flip the fuck out at sucking shit.  I mean someone show emotion grt pissed off angry demanding more of themselves.  Dudes drop a pass give no fucks.  Toss a pick laugh it off. Get beat like a drum. Give up 400 yards to a 1 armed QB witu 4 freshman wrs. Or constantly losing double digit leads none of the fucking care. It’s like pop Warner just have fun fuck the score football here. For all the shit the Bama kid is getting for decking the fan running the field. We don’t have anyone on the team with that kind of give a shit. Hell they’d celebrate with the fans storming the field   Shit our DE got clocked by Frank the chess club captain when tech ran the field lol 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think some of you think Worthy’s catch radius is equivalent Megaton’s. Its not. He isn’t going to reach for balls 5 feet over his head and 2 feet behind him. Idk maybe watching on TV throws off depth perception and y’all think some of those balls were closer than they actually were. I keep seeing he should have made that play in the end zone but the ball wasn’t even close enough for him to get his hands on it. It was over thrown. Ewers just didn't have great ball placement yesterday. Seems he is starting to throw to spots. But Worthy still hustles to get open and bust his ass blocking down field. The "Worthy is lazy" takes are just that, lazy.

Also this is the most player progression from a year to year basis we have probably seen in over 10 years.

Vic’s gf play WR?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think some of you think Worthy’s catch radius is equivalent Megaton's. Its not. He isn’t going to reach for balls 5 feet over his head and 2 feet behind him. Idk maybe watching on TV throws off depth perception and y’all think some of those balls were closer than they actually were. I keep seeing he should have made that play in the end zone but the ball wasn’t even close enough for him to get his hands on it. It was over thrown. Ewers just didn't have great ball placement yesterday. Seems he is starting to throw to spots. But Worthy still hustles to get open and bust his ass blocking down field. The "Worthy is lazy" takes are just that, lazy.

Worthy is limited by his size.  He's tiny as fuck and not tall by WR standards.  He isn't gonna outphysical anybody for a ball.  His game all revolves around speed and separation.  He's a second WR in today's NFL, maybe even a third.  I don't think he is lazy, I just thinks he plays the game his size allows him to play.  But if that is his game he has to improve his ability to adjust to balls in flight.  

• Hook 'Em 2

To me, a program with excellent culture is one that hates losing more than it loves winning. Winning the OU game or giving Bama a hell of a fight doesn't say anything about our culture. It just proves how good we can be. Our culture is the one that got used to losing too many games and can't bring it every week no matter what prize awaits.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Worthy is limited by his size.  He's tiny as fuck and not tall by WR standards.  He isn't gonna outphysical anybody for a ball.  His game all revolves around speed and separation.  He's a second WR in today's NFL, maybe even a third.  I don't think he is lazy, I just thinks he plays the game his size allows him to play.  But if that is his game he has to improve his ability to adjust to balls in flight.  

Well said, and as a smaller, wiry guy, he should have less trouble adjusting to balls than some of the bigger dudes that can battle.  I have kind of talked shit on Worthy last couple of days, not really intending to, but he's limited as a go-to receiver by his size and we've always known that.  He's never been one to battle for the catch.

In addition to prematurely talking shit on coaches, we prematurely anoint players.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Xavier Worthy has an effort problem that is pretty egregious this year, and I suppose I could see that being some sort of Roger Dorn ”ole bullshit” thing now that he got his NIL money. I’ve seen diva WRs who loaf when the play isn’t coming to them.  He won’t even extend his arms or try to adjust to balls actually thrown to him, which is a new one.   Bold strategy, Cotton.

That’s about it, though.  We were tough and played hard under Herman but still were mediocre.  We’re not quite as tough and more mediocre now, but I don’t think the players are lazy party animals or cancerous personalities.  We just are poorly managed, so we do dumb shit that costs us.  And it permeates down from the top, so sometimes it’s dumb shit at the strategic level, sometimes it’s tactical, sometimes it’s just a player not understanding his assignments.  

So, I guess we have a culture problem in the sense any underachieving team that doesn’t run a tight ship has a culture problem.  But I don’t think it’s anything out of the ordinary, except for Worthy and some of the other WRs on occasion.

Worthy would be running gassers until his asshole fell out if I were coaching. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

We just are poorly managed, so we do dumb shit that costs us.  And it permeates down from the top, so sometimes it’s dumb shit at the strategic level, sometimes it’s tactical, sometimes it’s just a player not understanding his assignments.  

Doesn't that mean lack of accountability for not performing?  Including not enough attention to detail by the coaches when planning, teaching, and evaluating the players?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Worthy also weighs 160 pounds and gets knocked off his route if the dback gets a pinky on him, luckily sometimes they don't.

• Hook 'Em 1

Being a coach in the NIL era must suck.  Take Xavier Worthy, he has an effort issue.  Under the old "rules" pre-NIL, you bench his ass and get his attention.  Nowadays, "LOL sure whatever coach, I get paaaaaiiiid either way, and BTW I'm transferring somewhere where the coach promises me more exposure and is easier on me/more fun/etc next year, k thx bye."  NIL has institutionalized coddling, along with the free transfer.  Imagine NFL-level prima donna, who also had unlimited free agency and fully guaranteed contracts.  Yikes.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

Watching Jordan Whittington block down field juxtaposed against Worthy's, often, seemingly cavalier attitude conveyed in his body language suggests, to me anyway, that it isn't a cultural problem with the team, but maybe the individual.

Roshon, Whittington, Sweat, Murphy, Ford, Banks, Christian Jones, Overshown, Robinson, Sanders seem to be properly motivated with visible 'give a shit'

These receivers not wearing #4, tho.    

Not a real good look right now.

What was Redd so pissed off about?  I haven't read anything about that today.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 head coaches (when you include post-2009 Mack)

4 ADs

3 School Presidents.  

Common denominator is Austin (and us).  All big city schools have struggled post-2010 with the occasional good year outside of OSU (depending on how you feel about Colombus).  Correlation doesn’t necessarily equal cause here but it’s fucking hard to ignore.  

NIL plus unfettered transfers is going to lead to evolution to a minor league for the NFL. Maybe there is still a loose affiliation with schools but in long run over next generation, it’s probably for the better.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

He looked a little frustrated yesterday, but I don't have a problem with Worthy.  We just have a problem with QBs getting the ball to him when he's 5 to 10 yards ahead of the DB he just outran.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are plenty of teams in the AP Top 25 poll that don’t have a “culture.” It’s coaching and execution. When you’re winning it’s great. I look at coaches that have come into programs over the last two or so years and just energized the team and the fan base. But more importantly they are winning. We aren’t winning. And hiring fast and then firing again and again is also damaging. It’s shit coaching period.

No one can convince me otherwise when I see coaches come into programs like: Coastal Carolina, Duke (Elko is pretty good) App State, TCU (Sonny Dykes sure has them rolling), Kansas (losing their star QB was a huge blow but they will rebound with some good recruiting classes and portal stuff) , UTSA, Texas Tech (they keep improving with their new coach), Missouri (not an easy out any more—they play tough), Old Dominion, Tennessee…

I could go on but it’s not the GD players. It’s the dumbass Powers That Be that hire our HC. No real search. No interview process. Just swing and miss huge publically and hire fast and fire fast. It’s not the players.

All those teams I mentioned above are pretty much rolling (some with far far far far less talent than we have and anyone that believes that’s not the case is dumb as fuck) and have hired coaches in the last 2-3 years. It’s coaching it’s coaching it’s coaching. Our process of hiring needs to change. I hope Sark is the one and we don’t have to go forward with another coach. Winning is what matters. Winning yesterdays game was all that fucking mattered and if you have to pull QE you pull him to win the game. Pathetic. Sorry but I’m pissed. I don’t make a lot of money. I will never be a HC of a football team and make that kind of cash. Just win. Everything changes when you win. I don’t blame the players I blame the coaches. I don’t blame a kid for acting out I blame the parent. It will always lie with coaching for me unless we have a bunch of crazy criminals on our team going batshit it will always be that they were not coached well. Jmo. Fuck losing. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

There are plenty of teams in the AP Top 25 poll that don’t have a “culture.” It’s coaching and execution. When you’re winning it’s great. I look at coaches that have come into programs over the last two or so years and just energized the team and the fan base. But more importantly they are winning. We aren’t winning. And hiring fast and then firing again and again is also damaging. It’s shit coaching period.

No one can convince me otherwise when I see coaches come into programs like: Coastal Carolina, Duke (Elko is pretty good) App State, TCU (Sonny Dykes sure has them rolling), Kansas (losing their star QB was a huge blow but they will rebound with some good recruiting classes and portal stuff) , UTSA, Texas Tech (they keep improving with their new coach), Missouri (not an easy out any more—they play tough), Old Dominion, Tennessee…

I could go on but it’s not the GD players. It’s the dumbass Powers That Be that hire our HC. No real search. No interview process. Just swing and miss huge publically and hire fast and fire fast. It’s not the players.

All those teams I mentioned above are pretty much rolling (some with far far far far less talent than we have and anyone that believes that’s not the case is dumb as fuck) and have hired coaches in the last 2-3 years. It’s coaching it’s coaching it’s coaching. Our process of hiring needs to change. I hope Sark is the one and we don’t have to go forward with another coach. Winning is what matters. Winning yesterdays game was all that fucking mattered and if you have to pull QE you pull him to win the game. Pathetic. Sorry but I’m pissed. I don’t make a lot of money. I will never be a HC of a football team and make that kind of cash. Just win. Everything changes when you win. I don’t blame the players I blame the coaches. I don’t blame a kid for acting out I blame the parent. It will always lie with coaching for me unless we have a bunch of crazy criminals on our team going batshit it will always be that they were not coached well. Jmo. Fuck losing. 

A lot of times you rant and ramble and I just fly right by, but this....this is pretty good.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

A lot of those quick turnaround teams are SR and JR heavy. Many bringing in transfers. It seems to be key in getting this turned quick.  

Just an observation, didn't look enough to see if those players mainly in program playing together longer or more transferred in, it just stands out as something all the turnaround teams seem to have.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Isn't the hiring process a part of our football culture? Obviously, it starts at the top. And I agree that our hiring process is shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

We worry about culture because we go long stretches with several coaches (McWilliams, Mackovic then Strong, Herman) where everything is poo and then get it right-ish a couple of times (Royal, Brown, Akers-ish, maybe Sark) and do well.

Currently, I think coaching turnover and inconsistent recruiting are playing a part.

I think there may also be something to a bunch of Texas HS players together that feeds an arrogance that those that go out of state don't suffer, and that maybe lesser recruits at other schools don't suffer.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

It's not that he's lazy. It's that he has an issue with body control / tracking / confidence that keeps him from going after balls that look damn catchable. All you have to do is look at Ewers or Sark after those plays to know it's not a tv camera thing. Maybe coaching can beat it out of him.

Sark needs to stay the course and coach better.  He needs to hold his assistants and players more accountable for all the mental mistakes.  The effort is there, but the results aren't happening on the field yet.  Tough love, continue teaching these younger players, and keep working hard together.

----------------------------------------------

GRITTY

Good listen discussing adjustments, limiting penalties, and how his team played gritty even with several freshmen getting more snaps yesterday.

Gundy said he likes this years team: "their chemistry, they practice hard, they like each other, they care about each other, which is a big part...  we can't talk them into doing that.  Some people think coaches can talk players into doing that.  Players have to self-motivate... they have to want to do it for themselves."