2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

they started 21-29, finished 66-46, a .589 clip about 95 win projection.  They're super hot. Pitching isn't Houston level, but their bats are off the chain right now. Can't take them lightly at all. 

Playoff expansion - a 6th seed makes the WS, 3rd in their division.  Can't really agree with that but we're there. 

Oh, 1980, how old do you have to be to remember that from 42 years ago? 48 minimum? Then you must've been in Harris county then. I'd say very few fans even remember that, but for those who do, it's a lifelong pain.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

they started 21-29, finished 66-46, a .589 clip about 95 win projection.  They're super hot. Pitching isn't Houston level, but their bats are off the chain right now. Can't take them lightly at all. 

Playoff expansion - a 6th seed makes the WS, 3rd in their division.  Can't really agree with that but we're there. 

Oh, 1980, how old do you have to be to remember that from 42 years ago? 48 minimum? Then you must've been in Harris county then. I'd say very few fans even remember that, but for those who do, it's a lifelong pain.  

I was 8 and I totally remember.

I am 52. I remember 1980 all too well. 

Fuck the following: 

Mike Schmidt 

Bake McBride

Bob Boone

Manny Trillo 

Gary Maddox

Greg Luzinski 

Steve Carlton

Tug McGraw

And of course a triple mud hole fuck you to Peter Edward fucking gambling ass jailbait raping Rose 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

That 8th inning, man.  My first Astro heartbreak.   Overshadowed by ‘86, but ‘80 was my first.  

ETA:   I was 8.

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

That '80 series on the heels of the Oilers' disasters in Pittsburgh taught me a lot about the pain of Houston fandom. Buffalo made me lose all hope.

The Rockets broke the curse.

But the Astros were my first favorite team. I'll never forget Corey Seager grounding out to Altuve. I'll never forget Yuli putting his hands to his head after he caught the ball.

I literally love the Houston Astros.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

A properly made cheesesteak is a fine meal, and the smell of said delicacy can linger on your fingers with a similar pleasantness as the first time you ever dipped them into some pussy.

All that being said, this team fucks, and the Astros will take the Series in 6.

Let's Fucking Go!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by slorch

Sorta has a feel like the 2019 Series when the Nationals got hot and won the NLCS. 

I don't think anyone took them serious and it turned into one of the most weird series ever with the road team winning all seven games.

I'm sure it's still fresh on the Astros mind and they will play to steam roll those philly fuckers.

A trying-to-be-objective preview from a native Philadelphian who once again lives in Philly:

What has worked for the Phillies the last couple weeks is sending two of the best starters in MLB into half-dead road ballparks, just needing to grab one of two weekday games, which is exactly what happened (won both in StL actually). Then come home for the weekend and just overwhelm with sporadic home runs, all hands on deck bullpen efforts and a bonkers crowd for three hours.

The World Series should be different in that there are no half-dead crowds paying $39 per ticket like Atlanta. The day of week doesn't matter, everyone knows this is it. But there is still the possibility of Wheeler and/or Nola getting a road win. Then if Stros to come to Philly and DON'T win two of three? That creates a toss up at the end.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So the team that is currently undefeated in the postseason and took 2/3 at a 13-5 run differential against the Phillies the last series of the regular season isn't hot?

They shut Houston out 3-0 in one of those games to clinch their playoff spot.  Granted Houston pulled Altuve, Pena, Bregman and Maldonaldo halfway through the game but both teams rested their guys in game's 2 and 3 so you can't take much out of that series.  

Didn't realize Texas Ex Cory Knebel is on Philly now.  I kinda lost track of him when he started having serious injuries in Milwaukee few years back.  And making $10mm/year to boot.  I hope he personally has a great series, but his team will lose to Houston.  

Phillies fans-what's the expected rotation order for the Series/?

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Didn't realize Texas Ex Cory Knebel is on Philly now.  I kinda lost track of him when he started having serious injuries in Milwaukee few years back.  And making $10mm/year to boot.  I hope he personally has a great series, but his team will lose to Houston.  

Phillies fans-what's the expected rotation order for the Series/?

Knebel bombed out like 3-4 months ago, he won't be anywhere near this series. Pimphand is correct, rotation is Wheeler-Nola-Suarez and probably Syndergaard but game 4 is a bullpen game either way.

Astros pitching has way more postseason experience, but it's not all good numbers for those guys especially in the World Series.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s amazing how many Astros fans think this will be a cakewalk after the last 2 world series’ they played as gigantic favorites.

Astros may have been favorites last year, but they were not gigantic favorites.  2019 was a big kick in the nuts, but last year was a "Oh well, shit happens in baseball" kind of deal.

The Astros were lucky to make it to the World Series last year after LMJ got hurt in the ALDS.  They were missing their 2 best starters in the WS.  2019 they should have won, but that wasn't the case last year.

Edited by kevwun

55 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s amazing how many Astros fans think this will be a cakewalk after the last 2 world series’ they played as gigantic favorites.

Yeah, I don’t see a cakewalk either. Philly’s got two great starters and a nasty bullpen. And they can hit, obviously.

Short series in baseball, no outcome would be particularly surprising. Go Stros.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, I don’t see a cakewalk either. Philly’s got two great starters and a nasty bullpen. And they can hit, obviously.

Short series in baseball, no outcome would be particularly surprising. Go Stros.

The Philly bullpen sucks and will be the difference in the series

2022 Regular season bullpen stats:

ERA: Astros-2.80. Philly-4.27

WHIP: Astros-1.14  Philly-1.39