2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

The Philly bullpen sucks and will be the difference in the series

2022 Regular season bullpen stats:

ERA: Astros-2.80. Philly-4.27

WHIP: Astros-1.14  Philly-1.39

Yeah, they struggled during the season; should have said that they were good in the brief spurts I watched during the NLCS, haha. 

6 minutes ago, texashorne said:

The Astros have never won game 1 of any World Series.. that needs to change Friday..

If I’m not mistaken the game 1 leadoff batter of their last 2 World Series trips homered against them. 

So basically if they get the first hitter out in game 1 they really have to like their chances.

• Rage+1 1

The Astros are the better team and probably have somewhere between a 52 and 55% chance to win the WS.

People seem to have trouble reconciling these things for playoff baseball in general.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

If I’m not mistaken the game 1 leadoff batter of their last 2 World Series trips homered against them. 

So basically if they get the first hitter out in game 1 they really have to like their chances.

Happened in 21 and 17 i think. 2019 that did not happen.

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Soler homered to lead off Game 1 last year.  In 2019, Washington didn't score in the 1st.

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

It’s amazing how many Astros fans think this will be a cakewalk after the last 2 world series’ they played as gigantic favorites.

Predicting your team to win is not the same as thinking it’s going to be a cakewalk. I don’t think any Astros fan thinks it’s going to be a cakewalk because it’s baseball and random shit happens all the time. I did not predict the Stros to win in 17 but I did in 19 and 21. Baseball happens. 

Houston is a better team, but Harper, Realmuto and Hoskins scare me, and they have other good bats in that lineup. Wheeler is a stud and has the talent to shut us down for 9 in the WS. Nola is a baller and will pitch well. 

It won’t be easy. Stros in 6. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

it all comes down to this

fuck the phillies, especially for 1980

the phanatic is ok 

tumblr_mophj191iR1ro5xweo1_400.gif

I was an Astro season ticket holder back then and went to all three games in the Dome.  What a great series, especially the controversy over the triple play in games 4.  Check it out at 52.16

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, WBT said:

The Astros are the better team and probably have somewhere between a 52 and 55% chance to win the WS.

People seem to have trouble reconciling these things for playoff baseball in general.

I’d go with 55-60% leaning toward 60, but yeah- that sentiment is absolutely right. 
the Astros are 7-0 this playoffs. We could easily have lost 5 of those games. 

this overconfidence is worrisome.  Going 6 or 7 and I hate the Stros playing in cold weather.  The regular season is completely meaningless, a team is only as good as their last few games.    I hope the week off for JV doesn't make him cold as he was in Game 1 vs. Seattle. 

Baseball is crazy.  The worst team in the world can beat the best in a 3 game series, maybe even 5.  A good team can beat a great team in 7.  Baseball is not like football or basketball - where randomness happens, but not to the extreme levels of baseball. 

Anything can happen, of course.  I think the NY series was closer that it appeared from the sweep.  Stros got some breaks. Still, this team is so solid, so deep, so much playoff experience, so hungry.  Given the undefeated post-season record so far, it sure seems like destiny.  Better pitching and pitching depth make the difference.  Astros in 5.

• Like 1

Fuck Philly! Fuck the Phillies! Fuck the Eagles!! Fuck the Flyers! Fuck the Sixers! Fuck cream cheese! Fuck cheesesteaks!! But mostly fuck the Phillies!! I hope the most miserable fan base of any North American city suffers a 300 year championship drought!

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck Philly! Fuck the Phillies! Fuck the Eagles!! Fuck the Flyers! Fuck the Sixers! Fuck cream cheese! Fuck cheesesteaks!! But mostly fuck the Phillies!! I hope the most miserable fan base of any North American city suffers a 300 year championship drought!
.31b8d1e8b9a89258c77ccb27b6e918fe.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

Username yada yada

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Hate said:

How did we go this long without posting the most appropriate YouTube video ever for this occasion.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Oh, 1980, how old do you have to be to remember that from 42 years ago? 48 minimum? Then you must've been in Harris county then. I'd say very few fans even remember that, but for those who do, it's a lifelong pain.  

I remember that it was the first time a Texas team made the MLB playoffs, so the whole state was rooting for them, ...except for me, because a neighbor down my street was a Phillies scout, and he would get Phillies swag for me.  Plus I thought Bake McBride was the coolest dude in the world (no idea how I was OK rooting for Rose and Bowa). 

Then the next summer, we took a family vacation to the east coast and went to a game at the Vet.  Steve Carlton got pulled down 4-2 in the 8th, and got roundly booed, and I begin to realize that Philly fans are complete trash.  

Edited by Beau Vine

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was an Astro season ticket holder back then and went to all three games in the Dome.  What a great series, especially the controversy over the triple play in games 4.  Check it out at 52.16

Both teams should be required to wear those unis for game 1.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Note to self, don't pitch to Bryce Harper.

Didn't realize you were on the roster! Congrats!

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah those are two of my favorite uniforms from baseball

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I don't like cutesy uniform day in any sport, but throwbacks when done correctly...can be fun.  And maybe it shouldn't be done in the postseason just because of licensing deals, but I like this idea very much.  A handful of uniforms from that era still stick with me from TV and baseball cards, and although I didn't follow either team---early 80's Phillies and Astros attire still sticks out.  This would be super cool.  Obviously not gonna happen, but I hope if things go y'all's way in the Series...somebody does something cool with some championship merch with the old Astros garb but 2022 Champ copy on it.  

And then armchair activists can watch footage from sub-Saharan Africa and lament, "Why do those poor people have to wear 40+ year old clothes donated from America?"  And somebody can pause the screen and zoom in, "Actually, it's the 2022 World Series shit they discard when a team loses...all retro look from Schmidt/Rose/Carlton Phillies era."  

25 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, he’s a 2-time MVP who is as good a hitter as there is in the sport when he’s locked in. He appears to be locked in. 

He’s also their #4 hitter hitting ahead of a guy that’s done this against Astros pitching (granted I’m sure most of this is way in the past but hopefully this is the Castellanos we see in the World Series)

0D2B27F8-B3FD-45A2-9DD1-ABDB8D518DC1.png

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What a fucking disaster that was.  Anyone who doesn't like replay needs to be forced to watch that shitshow on loop.

Best part is that with old monitor resolution (and old eyes), Cosell and Jackson(?) thought he caught it from the first angle.

Edited by Huckleberry

First pitch set for all 7 games at 7:10p-DT, local time.  No surprise really.  3 games in Philly means 8:10p their time, so they'll have an extra hour of getting sauced.  Though they are lightweights.  

Crazy ass prediction---Friday, 4 November: Astros win World Series in 6 games on Texas soil.  Saturday, 5 November:  Longhorns get back into the Big XII hunt with a huge victory over K-State in Manhattan.  Sunday, 6 November:  Austin FC, in just its second year of existence, takes the MLS Anschutz Cup over PHI/NYC winner.  Well, I'll get one of those right and the loser of it rhymes with 'chili'

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I did root for those guys hard.  Had no vested interest but was tired already of Atlanta and Toronto and the Athletics.  We skipped school a couple of days in April and rode the train from right behind our high school to Wrigley.  Watched Cubs host Philly, told the red line police we were going to visit colleges downtown.  Used Joel and Eli's fake ID's to buy tepid Michelob beers.  Sat in the bleachers and cheered for the cubs obviously but these fucking Phillies were just as lovable as the cubs.  Daulton, Mitch Williams, Kruk, Incaviglia.  Each one of 'em looked drunker than the next.  After the game, we hovered around the parking lot/team bus area with the rest of the beers we hid in an alley off Waveland. Daulton and Dykstra chugged one with us.  I rooted for 'em hard in the World Series.  NEver really gave 'em a thought after that, but fun times.  Stros will take 'em in 6.  

The Chris Farley as John Kruk on weekend update still makes me cry laughing to this day.  

6 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Predicting your team to win is not the same as thinking it’s going to be a cakewalk. I don’t think any Astros fan thinks it’s going to be a cakewalk because it’s baseball and random shit happens all the time. I did not predict the Stros to win in 17 but I did in 19 and 21. Baseball happens. 

Houston is a better team, but Harper, Realmuto and Hoskins scare me, and they have other good bats in that lineup. Wheeler is a stud and has the talent to shut us down for 9 in the WS. Nola is a baller and will pitch well. 

It won’t be easy. Stros in 6. 

I missed Schwarber. He also scares me. 

Good news is he probably doesn’t scare our pitching staff.