2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

baseball continues to prove that it's run by the most moronic people in sports. the fact that the WS doesn't start today is beyond stupid. 

today- no football, should be game 1

tomorrow- no football, game two

thursday- nfl football, off day 

friday- no football, game three

but nope. it's tuesday in october, both teams are ready to go, and we're all just gonna sit around doing fuckin nothin. brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TexArcher said:

True, but it's also true that their team ERA is 3.06 to the Astros' 1.88.

I definitely like the Astros better. Just making the point that Philly has been hitting well - even if their OPS is a bit inflated by how ridiculous Bryce has been.

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I definitely like the Astros better. Just making the point that Philly has been hitting well - even if their OPS is a bit inflated by how ridiculous Bryce has been.

Yes, but hopefully good pitching beats good hitting.

For the season, the Astros and Phillies were right next to each other in runs scored and OPS.  But the Astros allowed a full run less (fewer.gif) per game.  Hopefully that pitching edge, which is pretty huge outside of a couple of starters for the Phillies, can cool them off.

I think this is gonna be a hell of a series.  Astros in 6, but probably every game is tense.

Edited by TexArcher

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Astros are finna keep on rolling. they've been the best team in baseball for six years, and this is the best team they've had. Phillies are lucky to be here. Astros in 5. 

As recently as 2 months ago, I would have argued tooth and nail that the 2019 Astros were the greatest Astros team ever.   With the way this bullpen rounded into shape and Javier stepped into his own, the 2022 squad ended up making a very strong case as the best ever.   The offense isn’t the juggernaut that 2019 was, but this pitching staff is much better.  Hard to believe we can say that about a staff that had a Verlander/Cole 1-2 punch, but it’s true.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

As recently as 2 months ago, I would have argued tooth and nail that the 2019 Astros were the greatest Astros team ever.   With the way this bullpen rounded into shape and Javier stepped into his own, the 2022 squad ended up making a very strong case as the best ever.   The offense isn’t the juggernaut that 2019 was, but this pitching staff is much better.  Hard to believe we can say that about a staff that had a Verlander/Cole 1-2 punch, but it’s true.  

Yep. There's just one thing they need to do to cement their place at the top. Friday can't get here soon enough. 

44 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

yeah, it's the staff. too many guys on philly who are more likely to strike out than go deep or have consistent, professional AB's. 

10 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

I loved the 1986 Astro team.

Yeah as an 8 year old they were the best.  With that said they wouldn't hold a candle to the current iteration(s).

I would rather have 1986 Mike Scott pitching Game 1 of the World Series than just about any other human to have ever pitched though...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah as an 8 year old they were the best.  With that said they wouldn't hold a candle to the current iteration(s).

I would rather have 1986 Mike Scott pitching Game 1 of the World Series than just about any other human to have ever pitched though...

I don't know why but it seemed like every other week, the NBC Game of the Week was the Astros (we had WGN Cubs but no cable).  Between that and mom's whole family being from Texas (and a couple of them played college/minor league ball), I enjoyed watching them play.  Was cheering for them hard in '86 against the Mets.  Watching Scott and Ryan pitch was a joy (your bullpen sucked ass in that series though).  I always hated the Mets, how the hell did they take series in just 6 games hitting just .189 as a team and Strawberry striking out 12 games in just 22 at-bats. 

Then I read years later Scott was motivated to pitch his ass off because he felt slighted when the Mets traded him to Houston years before for career journeyman scrub, Danny Heep.  I can't prove it, but I think Jesse Orosco is still a situational reliever under an assumed name in Antigua.  

Win it for Jim Pankovits

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Then I read years later Scott was motivated to pitch his ass off because he felt slighted when the Mets traded him to Houston years before for career journeyman scrub, Danny Heep.  I can't prove it, but I think Jesse Orosco is still a situational reliever under an assumed name in Antigua.  

Win it for Jim Pankovits

Nah, that just making up a story to fit the facts. Scott was a shitty pitcher with a rocket arm at the time of the trade. He could bring at 95–97 but had no real second pitch. Depending on who you believe the Astros taught him either a split fingered fastball or a scuffball and with that second pitch in his arsenal he was about as dominant as any pitcher can be. His two pitch combo was so lethal because he threw them both at the same speed. One of them would fall off a cliff en route to the plate and the other would not. And Scott had total command of both. 

His post season abuse of the Mets was little better than the way he wrecked everybody that year and for a couple more later. 

And Danny Heep was a guy the Mets hoped could find the form that once had him as the Astros top prospect. It was unlikely that he would, but neither team thought the deal would amount to anything at the time it was made. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Nah, that just making up a story to fit the facts. Scott was a shitty pitcher with a rocket arm at the time of the trade. He could bring at 95–97 but had no real second pitch. Depending on who you believe the Astros taught him either a split fingered fastball or a scuffball and with that second pitch in his arsenal he was about as dominant as any pitcher can be. His two pitch combo was so lethal because he threw them both at the same speed. One of them would fall off a cliff en route to the plate and the other would not. And Scott had total command of both.

It was Roger Craig who taught him the splitter.  Yes the same Roger Craig who got no-hit in the division clinching game. #funfacts

• Hook 'Em 3

I remember watching George Michael interview Mike Scott about the split finger fastball.  And all I could think of was, "Holy shit, there's two of 'em!" 

Yeah, stories about trades change over the years as history shows us what really happened.  My good friend and baseball teammate's dad used to go on and on about how shitty every Cubs trade ended up for the Cubs.  And I believed it was a curse unique to Chicago.  Then I got old enough to buy my own baseball almanacs and Who's Who in Baseball copies and realized at the macro level, it's a crapshoot.  Like everything else in the game, it's success/failure by the slimmest of margins.  Plus contract considerations, waivers, clauses, foreign taxes, etc.  And most of the time, even serious baseball fans forget, it's just prospects changing hands at the sub-AAA level to make roster spots for overpaid draft picks.  The only guy who has ever put up big numbers after being traded over 150 years of pro baseball is "Player to be Named Later."  

But seriously Cubs?  HOF Eckerlsey to the A's for Wilder, Guinn, and Leonette?  Three guys who could collectively never play a single inning of MLB.  

Astros made some good trades over the years though and more importantly, their farm system seems to be damn stocked right now.  Y'all may only be the middle of a legit dynasty.  /nojinx

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

baseball continues to prove that it's run by the most moronic people in sports. the fact that the WS doesn't start today is beyond stupid. 

today- no football, should be game 1

tomorrow- no football, game two

thursday- nfl football, off day 

friday- no football, game three

but nope. it's tuesday in october, both teams are ready to go, and we're all just gonna sit around doing fuckin nothin. brilliant.

Something something travel plans? It sucks that they can't adjust this on the fly.

On 10/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was an Astro season ticket holder back then and went to all three games in the Dome.  What a great series, especially the controversy over the triple play in games 4.  Check it out at 52.16

Game 5 on MLBN right now.  Phillies just tied it in the 8th

15 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Nah. He was raking when he hurt his shoulder.  He was still dealing with that this season.  Let’s see how he is in the Spring before writing him off. 

He had a 20 game stretch in August, 2021 that were very good. The other 80 games he’s played have pretty much been garbage.