2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

I dunno, but literally half of my daughter's elementary school students are born to parents from California, Chicago, or New York.  But this morning, there were at least 3 dudes in Phillies jerseys.  I don't fucking get it.  One dad in an Astros hat, and then Philly, Philly, Philly.  And I mean like proper jerseys, not just t-shirts.  Da fuh?  I'm no native Texan, but I've been here 25+ years.  I've met one guy from Pennsylvania that whole fucking time.  And suddenly, Phillies fans are all around me?  And that's not a franchise you glob onto from outta state like Yankees, Cubs, Duke, or Lakers.  

There's a story behind it.  And I don't want to know it.  I got enough dark shit crawling through my skull.  

GO 'STROS!  Pouring rain in Central Texas still and heading East.  Best close the roof and cut down on the wind, lest Helobious and the Phillies folks get upset.

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not me. Fuck everything Philadelphia. They make a shitty sandwich that was not good until some smart ass texan put jalapeños on it. 

GO ASTROS

Cheesesteaks are fucking awesome. But go ahead and be a beta and root for the Astros, must’ve sucked watching the entire postseason from your couch this year.

Also what good food comes from Houston? Literally nothing. They’re not known for BBQ, their good seafood is all Cajun and not actually from there, and everything else that’s good is just foreigners that moved there serving their native food. That city has 0 food culture whatsoever but you want to shit on Philly?

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Cheesesteaks are fucking awesome. But go ahead and be a beta and root for the Astros, must’ve sucked watching the entire postseason from your couch this year.

Also what good food comes from Houston? Literally nothing. They’re not known for BBQ, their good seafood is all Cajun and not actually from there, and everything else that’s good is just foreigners that moved there serving their native food. That city has 0 food culture whatsoever but you want to shit on Philly?

Yes Sir. And I lived there. Cheesesteaks are overrated, oooooo, lets add some whiz whiz.... Like something an aggy would eat. 

On record saying we had a shitty year. Oh wait, that never happened to the vaunted Yankees.... 0-3 to 4-3.... Only 1 time in history. So take your Musial and stuff it. 

Hope Judge goes to Milwaukee   

image.png.064419a0563caf0aed23d9455a483369.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you're a beta because you're an Astros fan what does that make a Yankees fan?

Lol on Houston having zero food culture. Tell me you've spent no time in Houston without telling me you've spent no time in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

But go ahead and be a beta and root for the Astros, must’ve sucked watching the entire postseason from your couch this year.

Shaq Laughing GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, royiv said:

If you're a beta because you're an Astros fan what does that make a Yankees fan?

Lol on Houston having zero food culture. Tell me you've spent no time in Houston without telling me you've spent no time in Houston.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Houston, go there a couple times a year, had and still have plenty of extended family over there in galena park & baytown. It’s all easily the biggest shithole in Texas. Flat concrete swamp that always floods and a crime rate that makes even San Antonio blush. There’s some good food to be found but it’s all from people that aren’t from Houston. 

Sidenote: I will say Mia’s fucks. Glad they opened that new one off I-10. Also do they still have James Coney Island? That place was amazing but I haven’t noticed any the past few times I’ve been. 

• Fuck You 1

So, because I don't pay attention to other teams, I happened to notice that although the Phillies were 3rd in their division, the two teams ahead of them both had 101 wins. And yet, they still won enough games for a WC spot. And then they made it all the way to the World Series.

It's also notable that they were awful for the first quarter of the season until they fired their manager. Then suddenly they just won, and won, and won. Made great trades. Won more.

Sportswriters are shitting out tons of words about how awful the Phillies are compared with the 'Stros, but they are much, much better than their record.

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

and why are y'all babbling about the Yankees? they're not relevant to this or any other World Series thread

Cuz @Helobious is fun to mess with. I thought we all knew that. 

I mean, the dude from the Valley, who roots for a team in NY, says Houston has nothing to offer food wise. Yet he brings up a chain off of I-10? No mention of the arts, culture, nothing. 

image.png.227c2a767b10c8b9da030d525cae6dce.png

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, royiv said:

So let me get this straight, your idea of good food in Houston is JCI and Mia's? And you form your opinions about the city based on Baytown and Galena Park? This is top notch trolling. Especially the part about Houston being the biggest shithole in Texas coming from a dude who lives in the Valley. A+, 5/5 trolling here. 

I really don’t think I’ve been to a non-chain restaurant in Houston. I like all the Pappas places pretty good. There was also a seafood place on Richmond/610 next to luling market I liked a lot, not sure if was a chain. My point is pretty much all their good food options are chains. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Aren't you from the Valley?

I mean it’s not the best place in the world but I like it a lot more than houston 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

I really don’t think I’ve been to a non-chain restaurant in Houston. I like all the Pappas places pretty good. There was also a seafood place on Richmond/610 next to luling market I liked a lot, not sure if was a chain. My point is pretty much all their good food options are chains. 

I mean it’s not the best place in the world but I like it a lot more than houston 

You really need to expand your horizons. Houston has the best food scene in Texas and one of the best in the entire country. If you really think all of the good food options are chains, you're lazy, ignorant or both.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, royiv said:

Houston doesn’t challenge for top spot on America’s fattest city list for no reason.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There’s some good food to be found but it’s all from people that aren’t from Houston. 

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I really don’t think I’ve been to a non-chain restaurant in Houston. My point is pretty much all their good food options are chains. 

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/news/houston-fares-impressively-well-with-its-james-beard-award-finalists-for-2022/

image.jpeg.9a0f6a45ef0d1acac827a2c17faa3f82.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I hear Galena Park is beautiful this time of year. 

I actually think they might live in Pasadena and not GP. Maybe pearland, all those towns blend together to me. 

You assholes made me go look at the houston section of the naoch forum. Maybe I was being ignorant. I still think houston sucks though. 

Also for anyone looking for a new show and curious about the multiculturalism of Houston, go watch Mo on Nextflix. It’s hilarious. And is authentically Houston. 

Alright enough of the derail. Astros set a bunch of stuff straight tonight - Game 1 WS winless record, JV playoff performance, general play at home in the WS. Let’s go. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Coincidentally, Helo thanks the best place to get a burger in NYC is Hard Rock Cafe and the best Italian is Carmine’s. 

Actually scratch that, he’s never been to NYC. 😂

His pizza of choice is from Sbarro in Times Square 

E546BA04-72FB-422B-A5CD-E85CE7F65C41.jpeg

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I actually think they might live in Pasadena and not GP. Maybe pearland, all those towns blend together to me. 

You assholes made me go look at the houston section of the naoch forum. Maybe I was being ignorant. I still think houston sucks though. 

Have you looked at a map of Houston?

Saying you've been to Houston a lot to visit your extended family in the big ugly suburbs that support the refineries is like forming an opinion of Austin, Tx based on your travels to Nana's house in Jarrell. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

If your idea of food culture is something with cheese whiz on it, then I'm very glad that you don't think we have any of that great food culture here in Houston.  Please keep that great food culture where it can be appreciated by the walmart crowd that is the philidelphia population

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If your idea of food culture is something with cheese whiz on it, then I'm very glad that you don't think we have any of that great food culture here in Houston.  Please keep that great food culture where it can be appreciated by the walmart crowd that is the philidelphia population

ill guess he's never even been to philly. he'll simmer down some when they hand out their afternoon jello 

• Like 1

Philadelphia really is the Wal-Mart of large American cities.  

I'm no fan of the City of Houston, but it is a fantastic place when it comes to restaurants.  I travel there all the time for work and have explored all manner of local joints and never had a bad meal.  It's got some serious problems, but badass food ain't one.  I also really enjoy MMP and Astros baseball (admittedly, not a lifelong fan).  Philly gets a bad rap, I got nothing against it.  My father spent the last years of his life outside Philly and loved it.  I liked the Phillies teams of the 80's and cheered for them against Toronto in the '92/'93 series (can't remember which year).  Some of my fondest memories at Wrigley growing up were games against Philly.  Cheesesteaks are delicious, Philadelphia has saved our Republic more than once, and M. Night is still a solid storyteller.  

That said, fuck 'em.  Astros in 6 on Texas soil.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

But go ahead and be a beta and root for the Astros, must’ve sucked watching the entire postseason from your couch this year.

Well, he lives in San Marcos, so I'm pretty sure he watches the entire postseason from his couch every year.  Like nearly all of us do.

• Haha 1