2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Javier is a great pitcher. This game is both an impressive team accomplishment and also not a legitimate no hitter. All of those things can be true at once and they are. Tonight sucked. Whatever, looking forward to verlander and his awesome World Series magic tomorrow.

Straight out of aggy playbook. You’re team is not good, gets swept and sent home by the team you just can’t stand losing to and then sit on the sidelines chirping nonsense and diminishing anything and everything done by the team that beats you.

Pathetic.  

Go start a NYY 2023 thread and sit in your room by yourself.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I've seen it elsewhere too, a lot of people seem to care A LOT about it.  Just is weird to me.

It's a bigger deal if it isn’t combined but for me it's just a neat footnote on the game. It gives the series more flavor and will make it stand out more in the future - especially on the heels of the crazy HR game from G3 - but ultimately they're both good for 1 win and the next game starts 0-0. HOU beating their chests about it before the series is over seems strange to me as does PHI fans or fans of other teams trying to invalidate it. PHI got smoked and would have lost whether they had 0, 1 or 2 hits. Does HOU get credit for leaving a bunch of guys on base in game 3? 

I think it does show that HOU is the better team and will probably need less fortune down the stretch than PHI. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I am on record before as saying no-hitters in general aren’t truly that impressive in today’s swing-and-miss ball, even legit ones. Seems like we have multiple every year. And if you really think they’re that impressive go look at the list of guys that have thrown one. To me the much bigger story is the tied series now.

Perfect games are really something though. We haven’t seen one in a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What a fucking up and down world series.  Astros get up fairly big by baseball terms early in first game, get reeled in and lose in extras.  Then they play a pretty routine 5-2 game the Astros win in game 2.  Then Phillies drop 5 HRs and bomb the Astros 7-0 in game 3 and then Astros turn around and no-hit the Phillies to win 5-0 the next night.  At this point, have no fucking idea what to expect next.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

What a fucking up and down world series.  Astros get up fairly big by baseball terms early in first game, get reeled in and lose in extras.  Then they play a pretty routine 5-2 game the Astros win in game 2.  Then Phillies drop 5 HRs and bomb the Astros 7-0 in game 3 and then Astros turn around and no-hit the Phillies to win 5-0 the next night.  At this point, have no fucking idea what to expect next.

If I didn't have rooting interest, I'd be mildly entertained by this series. But game 1 was the only time you had the late inning tension that people like to see in every WS game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bartles said:

If I didn't have rooting interest, I'd be mildly entertained by this series. But game 1 was the only time you had the late inning tension that people like to see in every WS game.

Yep outside of game 1, this series has been a snoozefest from a neutral viewpoint. No lead changes at all in the last 3 games and no doubt who will win by about inning 5. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I am on record before as saying no-hitters in general aren’t truly that impressive in today’s swing-and-miss ball, even legit ones. Seems like we have multiple every year. And if you really think they’re that impressive go look at the list of guys that have thrown one. To me the much bigger story is the tied series now.

Perfect games are really something though. We haven’t seen one in a decade. 

Endorsement or not from the resident troll, a no-hitter the day after the other squad shells your staff for 5 dingers is one hell of a response.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

However you want to slice it. He threw 50 less innings than Framber but had better #s. 

Either way the point is that he's a stud and not your 6th starter. 

Agree with the general point, but with the Astros pitching depth, those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive. Luis Garcia would be a #3 on most teams - a #2 on some. He can't get a start. 

23 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Or... real Houston sports fans DGAF about that fake-ass franchise the NFL keeps trying to shove down our throats. 

I grew up a Rockets, Astros, and Cowboys fan. I probably would have been an Oilers fan, but I was just a little too young to care at the time, and then there was a period where Houston didn’t have an NFL team and thus….I became a cowboys fan. The McNairs fucked up!!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's a bigger deal if it isn’t combined but for me it's just a neat footnote on the game. It gives the series more flavor and will make it stand out more in the future - especially on the heels of the crazy HR game from G3 - but ultimately they're both good for 1 win and the next game starts 0-0. HOU beating their chests about it before the series is over seems strange to me as does PHI fans or fans of other teams trying to invalidate it. PHI got smoked and would have lost whether they had 0, 1 or 2 hits. Does HOU get credit for leaving a bunch of guys on base in game 3? 

I think it does show that HOU is the better team and will probably need less fortune down the stretch than PHI. 

it's tough to say honestly...i'm not sure which team needs more "fortune."

this is a classic case of an incredibly hot team in the post-season meeting the first or second best team in the league over the entire year.  astros are good enough to withstand some of the "hotness," but in terms of the game of baseball, i would almost always rather be the streaking, super hot team going into the final series.  something mental about it at the plate.  kind of like ole miss in the cws last year or the nationals in 2019.

i'd like to hope that sustaining a no-hitter last night would fuck up the phils psyche at the plate for the rest of the series and make them start pressing but two things about that...1, they are too good and 2, honestly, they are too dumb.  there is something to be said about being led by guys like bryce harper and schwarber who are braindead neanderthals that don't have the capacity to get into their own heads causing an extended slump.  a lot of value to that...getting no-hit will slide right off them.

i think the remainder of this series really swings now to whether the astros can start scoring in more than one damn inning a game.  in the last 18 innings, they have failed to plate runs in 17 of them.  they have to start getting more timely hitting because the phillies aren't going to get blanked much.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

this is a classic case of an incredibly hot team in the post-season meeting the first or second best team in the league over the entire year.  astros are good enough to withstand some of the "hotness," but in terms of the game of baseball, i would almost always rather be the streaking, super hot team going into the final series.

Agree with this whole-heartedly, and we saw it in 2019.

But...  Is the incredibly hot playoff team still the incredibly hot playoff team when they've lost 2 of 3 and just been no-hit?

Tonight's matchup is fascinating on a bunch of levels.

33 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Agree with this whole-heartedly, and we saw it in 2019.

But...  Is the incredibly hot playoff team still the incredibly hot playoff team when they've lost 2 of 3 and just been no-hit?

Tonight's matchup is fascinating on a bunch of levels.

when the game in between was like being forced to confront my ptsd from the albert pujols 2005 playoff game by having to watch effectively a replay of that over and over for inning after inning in game 3...it can certainly feel like it.  granted that was more on lance than anything but it just shows how razor thin the margin is.

and like i said, the types of guys their best hitters are mentally and emotionally means that it is unlikely it will have much of an effect on tonight's game.  kind of like throwing cristian for us after getting bombed the night before.  it meant nothing to him, whole new day.  

tangent but the thought of all the typical trashy philly fans hurling verbal abuse at him before and during the game made me kind of laugh when i was watching the post-game interview with the translator...hablar de tirar el aliento.

Edited by sidis

15 hours ago, sidis said:

so i think i've figured out that helobious and quagmire hate the astros more than they like themselves.

i'm completely confused by s.o.2.0 because i thought he was a mariners fan but he seems to run the rangers thread as well which seems...odd.

zepol is a hard core rangers rep machine as his nfl jersey wearing friend vic.

beau is doing his super volatile emotional state thing where he explodes from 0 to 100 with the hate with no background on why which would connote....red sox fan? 

god damnit i cannot believe i share rooting interests with fucking icono.  you have no idea how fucked a thing that is.

sidis, I can only hope you're drinking heavily during all of these types of posts.  it has been crazy seeing you make personal assessments of people's lives based on their actions in a sports thread of all things. worrying about fans in the supposedly non-Astro fan thread is just flat out joyless and beneath you.

The majority of America is rooting against the Astros.  I hesitate to point it out, because there's really no need to hash over the same old arguments again (and who knows all the reasons), but that's how it is.  While every Astros fan will disagree, blame Manfred, e.t.c., that doesn't mean that everyone posting non-Astros support is somehow a loser in life that enjoys hating more than rooting for their own teams.  As you are aware, there are only two teams left.  Should every non-fan of those two teams turn off their TV sets and quit posting? Don't most neutral folks root for the underdog? Does picking one team to root for automatically equate to being a hater?  Should they all not  pick someone to root for?  It seems you and Penelope would have it that way.  Which is sad to see from posters I otherwise thought were  smarter and should recognize the easy correlation between nutty tribalism in sports and elsewhere in our society.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

sidis, I can only hope you're drinking heavily during all of these types of posts.  it has been crazy seeing you make personal assessments of people's lives based on their actions in a sports thread of all things. worrying about fans in the supposedly non-Astro fan thread is just flat out joyless and beneath you.

The majority of America is rooting against the Astros.  I hesitate to point it out, because there's really no need to hash over the same old arguments again (and who knows all the reasons), but that's how it is.  While every Astros fan will disagree, blame Manfred, e.t.c., that doesn't mean that everyone posting non-Astros support is somehow a loser in life that enjoys hating more than rooting for their own teams.  As you are aware, there are only two teams left.  Should every non-fan of those two teams turn off their TV sets and quit posting? Don't most neutral folks root for the underdog? Does picking one team to root for automatically equate to being a hater?  Should they all not  pick someone to root for?  It seems you and Penelope would have it that way.  Which is sad to see from posters I otherwise thought were  smarter and should recognize the easy correlation between nutty tribalism in sports and elsewhere in our society.

Your poll evidence is from last year. It's still true but not some clear public opinion of the vast majority like you're implying. 

41% of America wants the Astros to win. The reality is that most of America doesn't give a shit about 2017, it's mostly just doofus fans of rival baseball teams. 

Screenshot_20221103-132902_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Your poll evidence is from last year. It's still true but not some clear public opinion of the vast majority like you're implying. 

41% of America wants the Astros to win. The reality is that most of America doesn't give a shit about 2017, it's mostly just doofus fans of rival baseball teams. 

Screenshot_20221103-132902_Chrome.jpg

So still the majority, but not as much of one.  OK.

Even if it was NOT the majority, I would think in a non-Astros based thread some 'haters' are expected.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath