2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pardon? He's been your 2nd best starter all season. 

During the regular season it was 1. Verlander 2. Valdez 3. Javier DMAS 4/5 with Garcia/Urquidy

Of course during the World Series its 1. Javier 2. Valdez 3. Uruqidy 4. Garcia DMAS 5/6 with Verlander/McCullers

But don't worry the Astros mouth breather brigade is convinced that somehow Verlander is finally going to get the World Series gorilla off his back magically despite 8 outings to prove otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

During the regular season it was 1. Verlander 2. Valdez 3. Javier DMAS 4/5 with Garcia/Urquidy

Of course during the World Series its 1. Javier 2. Valdez 3. Uruqidy 4. Garcia DMAS 5/6 with Verlander/McCullers

But don't worry the Astros mouth breather brigade is convinced that somehow Verlander is finally going to get the World Series gorilla off his back magically despite 8 outings to prove otherwise.

Hmm ... I just got back from the Astros thread and the consensus there is that everyone's optimistic and hoping that Verlander has a good game tonight. Not quite the same as being "convinced" he'll shove.  Optimism is a lot better than pessimism. Certainly not the "mouth breather" take you'd like to paint it as.

• Like 1

I grew up a Rockets, Astros, and Cowboys fan. I probably would have been an Oilers fan, but I was just a little too young to care at the time, and then there was a period where Houston didn’t have an NFL team and thus….I became a cowboys fan. The McNairs fucked up!!
I grew up with the astros rockets oilers,.we had season tickets to all 3 for as far back as I can remember. When the oilers left I was at UT and that is when college football took over for me. As for the abortion on Kirby, just because a billionaire buys a team and parks it in my city does not mean you have mu fandom. You need to earn that and Texans have not. Shitty name, shitty colors, shitty mascot and shitty product, did I mention they're shitty.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smax said:
2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:
I grew up a Rockets, Astros, and Cowboys fan. I probably would have been an Oilers fan, but I was just a little too young to care at the time, and then there was a period where Houston didn’t have an NFL team and thus….I became a cowboys fan. The McNairs fucked up!!

I grew up with the astros rockets oilers,.we had season tickets to all 3 for as far back as I can remember. When the oilers left I was at UT and that is when college football took over for me. As for the abortion on Kirby, just because a billionaire buys a team and parks it in my city does not mean you have mu fandom. You need to earn that and Texans have not. Shitty name, shitty colors, shitty mascot and shitty product, did I mention they're shitty.

All of this. And no VY. Fuck the Texans.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

sidis, I can only hope you're drinking heavily during all of these types of posts.  it has been crazy seeing you make personal assessments of people's lives based on their actions in a sports thread of all things. worrying about fans in the supposedly non-Astro fan thread is just flat out joyless and beneath you.

The majority of America is rooting against the Astros.  I hesitate to point it out, because there's really no need to hash over the same old arguments again (and who knows all the reasons), but that's how it is.  While every Astros fan will disagree, blame Manfred, e.t.c., that doesn't mean that everyone posting non-Astros support is somehow a loser in life that enjoys hating more than rooting for their own teams.  As you are aware, there are only two teams left.  Should every non-fan of those two teams turn off their TV sets and quit posting? Don't most neutral folks root for the underdog? Does picking one team to root for automatically equate to being a hater?  Should they all not  pick someone to root for?  It seems you and Penelope would have it that way.  Which is sad to see from posters I otherwise thought were  smarter and should recognize the easy correlation between nutty tribalism in sports and elsewhere in our society.

i have not bemoaned a single hater on this thread except one who is just a pathetically sad soul completely dedicated to the infantile act of trolling which, in general, is a pitiful existence in my opinion.  the fact that he is a chickenshit that doesn't own up to his garbage when it doesn't go his way doesn't help.  as i stated in reply to s.o.2.0, i wasn't whining or bothered about anything in the post you quoted, nor making personal assessments of anyone's life (besides helo, same as i would poe it up or futureman).  just identifying (more asking than anything) and contextualizing for understanding the contributions of far and away the most common posters on the thread. 

yours for example, it would make no sense to me that you, of all people, would find any satisfaction in helobious's pathetic shit (that's comparable to poe it up on other boards) whatsoever and breathlessly run around repping it.  that is, until i contextualize it as you being a mariners fan who is in the same division as the astros and who have suffered greatly at the hands of the astros over the better part of a decade.  then it makes complete sense. i'm not complaining about you being a hater and participating in this thread in any way...if you can find a post to the contrary, by all means show me. point out anything resembling me complaining about anyone in the post you quoted beyond bemoaning the self-reflecting tragedy that i root for the same team as icono.  i'm not running around negging or reporting any posts or any of that lame shit.  i've reported one post in my entire posting history on this site and it was someone nakedly expressing admiration for the idea of exterminating jewish and black americans. 

of course i expect some hate and people taking pleasure in the astros failings.  as a texas fan, it is familiar territory.  but the specific motivation can be instructive.  love me some beau vine...but one of his posting characteristics (kind of like s.o.2.0 and herbie hancock on other boards) is that he is a good poster who is generally intelligent/rational/informed that will just randomly fly off the fucking handle and attack someone viciously because of some otherwise benign and inconsequential trigger.  it's hilarious (even when i am on the other side of it)...but i was kind of more just making a joke about lunatic red sox fans than anything in my comment.  but knowing he is a cardinals fan (i had no idea) contextualizes his motivation for me.  i really couldn't care less about this thread having lots or little in the way of haters...it would be pretty fucking boring if it was just a bunch of astros or phillies guys jerking each other off.  it brings me no satisfaction or disappointment to know you guys are either joyed or despondent by the outcomes.

tldr: you are grossly misconstruing my post.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Smax said:

As for the abortion on Kirby, just because a billionaire buys a team and parks it in my city does not mean you have mu fandom. You need to earn that and Texans have not. Shitty name, shitty colors, shitty mascot and shitty product, did I mention they're shitty.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, sidis said:

it's tough to say honestly...i'm not sure which team needs more "fortune."

this is a classic case of an incredibly hot team in the post-season meeting the first or second best team in the league over the entire year.  astros are good enough to withstand some of the "hotness," but in terms of the game of baseball, i would almost always rather be the streaking, super hot team going into the final series.  something mental about it at the plate.  kind of like ole miss in the cws last year or the nationals in 2019.

i'd like to hope that sustaining a no-hitter last night would fuck up the phils psyche at the plate for the rest of the series and make them start pressing but two things about that...1, they are too good and 2, honestly, they are too dumb.  there is something to be said about being led by guys like bryce harper and schwarber who are braindead neanderthals that don't have the capacity to get into their own heads causing an extended slump.  a lot of value to that...getting no-hit will slide right off them.

i think the remainder of this series really swings now to whether the astros can start scoring in more than one damn inning a game.  in the last 18 innings, they have failed to plate runs in 17 of them.  they have to start getting more timely hitting because the phillies aren't going to get blanked much.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Agree with this whole-heartedly, and we saw it in 2019.

But...  Is the incredibly hot playoff team still the incredibly hot playoff team when they've lost 2 of 3 and just been no-hit?

Tonight's matchup is fascinating on a bunch of levels.

You're the hottest team until you're not. And it can swing back. who knows.

24 minutes ago, sidis said:

i have not bemoaned a single hater on this thread except one who is just a pathetically sad soul completely dedicated to the infantile act of trolling which, in general, is a pitiful existence in my opinion.  the fact that he is a chickenshit that doesn't own up to his garbage when it doesn't go his way doesn't help.  as i stated in reply to s.o.2.0, i wasn't whining or bothered about anything in the post you quoted, nor making personal assessments of anyone's life (besides helo, same as i would poe it up or futureman).  just identifying (more asking than anything) and contextualizing for understanding the contributions of far and away the most common posters on the thread. 

yours for example, it would make no sense to me that you, of all people, would find any satisfaction in helobious's pathetic shit (that's comparable to poe it up on other boards) whatsoever and breathlessly run around repping it.  that is, until i contextualize it as you being a mariners fan who is in the same division as the astros and who have suffered greatly at the hands of the astros over the better part of a decade.  then it makes complete sense. i'm not complaining about you being a hater and participating in this thread in any way...if you can find a post to the contrary, by all means show me. point out anything resembling me complaining about anyone in the post you quoted beyond bemoaning the self-reflecting tragedy that i root for the same team as icono.  i'm not running around negging or reporting any posts or any of that lame shit.  i've reported one post in my entire posting history on this site and it was someone nakedly expressing admiration for the idea of exterminating jewish and black americans. 

of course i expect some hate and people taking pleasure in the astros failings.  as a texas fan, it is familiar territory.  but the specific motivation can be instructive.  love me some beau vine...but one of his posting characteristics (kind of like s.o.2.0 and herbie hancock on other boards) is that he is a good poster who is generally intelligent/rational/informed that will just randomly fly off the fucking handle and attack someone viciously because of some otherwise benign and inconsequential trigger.  it's hilarious (even when i am on the other side of it)...but i was kind of more just making a joke about lunatic red sox fans than anything in my comment.  but knowing he is a cardinals fan (i had no idea) contextualizes his motivation for me.  i really couldn't care less about this thread having lots or little in the way of haters...it would be pretty fucking boring if it was just a bunch of astros or phillies guys jerking each other off.  it brings me no satisfaction or disappointment to know you guys are either joyed or despondent by the outcomes.

helobious's ridiculousness cracks me up.  it is such an obvious card and yet so many, such as yourself, get all wrapped up and frothing at the mouth about it.  which typically cracks me up as well.  it reminds of the board you and i met on, so it bemuses me that it riles you up so much you have to project that it is somehow amazing he doesn't kill himself in real life. and the very post i quoted you on was you assessing other's attributes, so don't make me re-quote it. and again, this isn't the 'astros fans only' thread.

as to mariners fandom--eh, i've fallen away from just all sports, but i'm glad you noticed. seriously, i miss some of our back and forth.   but if i was loyal to a team, sure, it's them.   so i tuned in to them getting swept, and still had fun with the novelty of it all--long drought after all.  one of the many reasons i've fallen away from sports  is when you step back the absolute silliness of someone being a "chickenshit" based on their behavior on an internet forum is just astounding.  such serious business over something that lierally has no impact on your life, nor do you have an impact on the outcome.  and i think overall chomsky is quite right about sports in general.  just mentioning that name is dangerously close to CR, but there you have it.   the concepts of people not being 'loyal' to their region is also funny were it not sadly provincial.

and i guess stepping away so much just makes me shake my head when i see otherwise rational folks who i personally know are good people go absolutely insane online over someting like someone disappearing instead of 'taking their internet lumps.'  its just silly, and robbing of joy for me.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

25 minutes ago, sidis said:

i have not bemoaned a single hater on this thread except one who is just a pathetically sad soul completely dedicated to the infantile act of trolling which, in general, is a pitiful existence in my opinion.  

ok

the fact that he is a chickenshit that doesn't own up to his garbage when it doesn't go his way doesn't help.  as i stated in reply to s.o.2.0

yeah..

i wasn't whining or bothered about anything in the post you quoted, nor making personal assessments of anyone's life (besides helo, same as i would poe it up or futureman).  

oh yes baby…

yours for example, it would make no sense to me that you, of all people, would find any satisfaction in helobious's pathetic shit (that's comparable to poe it up on other boards) whatsoever and breathlessly run around repping it.  

25501E5C-DF45-496A-873A-5505676094EE.jpeg.95c18bcb1b03c08761a2f1def29e9936.jpeg

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bergman getting a ton of love on twitter for the ‘cody fuller’ sign last night. He played football and baseball at tech. Cancer hit him hard, took him down quick. 

Saw that and wondered if it was the same guy.  I saw Fuller play WR for Smithson Valley in HS and he was just unstoppable.  

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Saw that and wondered if it was the same guy.  I saw Fuller play WR for Smithson Valley in HS and he was just unstoppable.  

He had a brother or two that played football for them as well. I think they all played baseball too. 

Their cousin was Kyle Fuller, really great QB that led SA Lee to their last winning season in 2014 or 15. He died by suicide a couple years ago. Rough stretch for that family.

19 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

helobious's ridiculousness cracks me up.  it is such an obvious card and yet so many, such as yourself, get all wrapped up and frothing at the mouth about it.  which typically cracks me up as well.  it reminds of the board you and i met on, so it bemuses me that it riles you up so much you have to project that it is somehow amazing he doesn't kill himself in real life. and the very post i quoted you on was you assessing other's attributes, so don't make me re-quote it. and again, this isn't the 'astros fans only' thread.

as to mariners fandom--eh, i've fallen away from just all sports, but i'm glad you noticed. seriously, i miss some of our back and forth.   but if i was loyal to a team, sure, it's them.   so i tuned in to them getting swept, and still had fun with the novelty of it all--long drought after all.  one of the many reasons i've fallen away from sports  is when you step back the absolute silliness of someone being a "chickenshit" based on their behavior on an internet forum is just astounding.  such serious business over something that lierally has no impact on your life, nor do you have an impact on the outcome.  and i think overall chomsky is quite right about sports in general.  just mentioning that name is dangerously close to CR, but there you have it.   the concepts of people not being 'loyal' to their region is also funny were it not sadly provincial.

and i guess stepping away so much just makes me shake my head when i see otherwise rational folks who i personally know are good people go absolutely insane online over someting like someone disappearing instead of 'taking their internet lumps.'  its just silly, and robbing of joy for me.

dude, if you think for half a second that i am "riled up" or "wrapped up' by helobious (or anyone on this site), you're out of your god damned mind and that will be the first thing that you've ever said to me that i take personal offense to as someone i've met...and may have the ironic outcome of riling me up.  that's like saying i'm "riled up" by poe for pointing out he's incapable of thinking outside of his fear-driven worldview.  it's a statement of fact, not being riled up or frothing at the mouth.

it's also a statement of fact that if i put even 1% of the effort into cultivating being the world's shittiest provocateur that your pitiful little baseball board jester does, it would be difficult to have any self-respect. perhaps if you saw that as an obvious trolling back card instead of as a personal assessment, you would be more greatly bemused by it.  i did not assess others' personal lives in the post you quoted...just inventoried fandom of the most frequent posters and it's obtuse to insinuate otherwise.  moreover, you righteously waxing philosophic about about the tribalism and irrationality of sports fandom in the same post expressing admiration for the dance monkey's act and one post after arguing with some straw man that haters should be allowed to talk shit and troll in this thread (something that was never contradicted, bring the hate) is more than a little ironic.

this tangent is tired and polluting the thread...time for me to bow out.

4 hours ago, sidis said:

ihonestly, they are too dumb.  there is something to be said about being led by guys like bryce harper and schwarber who are braindead neanderthals that don't have the capacity to get into their own heads causing an extended slump.  a lot of value to that...getting no-hit will slide right off them.

This is great, and you only scratch the surface about how stupid they are. Bohm, Castellanos, even Realmuto who is so smart on the field. They have no idea what is happening in the world outside their clubhouse. I mean their current rally song was blatantly lifted from the fucking 2021 loser Red Sox (via Schwarber). And they don't know nor care that it's a remix of a remake. But those guys are prone to slumping (other than Harper). Not so much about last night as just normally having lots of 0-3 and 0-4's with mostly K's.

JoePos:

OK, let’s look at two perspectives on Wednesday night’s wild World Series Game 4.

Perspective 1: The night before Cristian Javier stepped to the mound to pitch his first World Series game, he was talking to his parents, who had come from the Dominican Republic to see him pitch. It would be the first time his father, Cecilio, would see him pitch in a big league game.

They told him he was going to throw a no-hitter.

“They told you you were going to throw a no-hitter?” FOX’s Ken Rosenthal asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, they told me last night,” Javier said through an interpreter.

“And what did you say?”

“Yeah, I said we’re going to stay positive and with God helping us, we can do it.”

The really cool, right? So cool. Cristian Javier is a 25-year-old pitcher with a blood-curdling slider and a magical fastball that batters somehow cannot hit even when he throws it over the middle of the plate. The league hit .170 against him this year. In the playoffs, before this game even started, they had hit .100. Earlier this season, he combined with two other pitchers to no-hit the New York Yankees.

Then on Wednesday night, Javier utterly shut down a Phillies team that had bludgeoned the Astros one night earlier, the same night his parents had told him that he would throw a no-hitter. He threw six no-hit innings. It was remarkable and wonderful stuff.

Then Bryan Abreu didn’t allow a hit in the seventh. Rafael Montero didn’t allow a hit in the eighth. Ryan Pressly didn’t allow a hit in the ninth.

It wasn’t just that the Phillies didn’t get a hit — they didn’t really come CLOSE to getting a hit. The only ball they hit all night that had better than a 33% hit probability was a line drive to right that Jean Segura hit in the eighth off Rafael Montero. He hit it well. But it hung up and really wasn’t that hard a play for rightfielder Kyle Tucker.

That was the only time that the Phillies even got close. Here’s a weird number that might or might not mean anything to you: If you add up ALL the hit percentages of the balls Philadelphia batters put in play — minus Segura’s line drive — you only get to 128%. Basically, all of them added up together barely get you one hit.

That’s what happens when you strike out 14 times and hit pop-ups and routine grounders with the rest of your at-bats.

So that’s a no-hitter, sort of, just as Cristian Javier’s parents had foreseen. And on FOX they tried to connect it with the other no-hitters of the postseason — Roy Halladay’s no-hitter against Dusty Baker’s Reds in the 2010 National League Division Series and, obviously, Don Larsen’s World Series perfect game for the Yankees in 1956.

As far as we know, Dusty Baker played no role in the Larsen game.

So all of that’s really cool, a team of pitchers threw a no-hitter in the World Series, and that’s something that none of us have seen. The Astros have stormed back in this wide-open World Series. That’s Perspective 1.

Now, sorry, but here’s Perspective 2:

The minute that Dusty Baker pulled Javier from the game after six hitless innings, I got a text from a friend who is a big sports fan and was once a big baseball fan. He has been trying to rekindle his love of baseball to mixed effect. What he loved about baseball was the magic of it, the romance of it, the feeling that comes with the larger-than-life things that can happen on a baseball diamond. He was actually in the crowd the night that Reggie Jackson hit three home runs in a World Series game. It remains one of his most cherished sports memories.

But, on that front, baseball has been disappointing him for 20 years.

And he was flat-out ticked off when Javier didn’t start the seventh inning.

“Pulling this pitcher is just so wrong,” he texted me. “So deeply wrong. God. No love for the romance of baseball. It’s just gone.”

And he lost all interest in this game and maybe the whole World Series.

And, look, he’s hardly the only one. I was barraged by texts from friends who simply couldn’t get excited about a four-pitcher no-hitter, even if it is the World Series. Their feelings about it is: So what? A reliever throwing a no-hit inning is as common as McDonald’s; do you want to know how many times a reliever came into a game in 2022 and threw a hitless inning? I hope you do because I looked it up: It happened 4,421 times.

Heck, in this World Series alone we’ve already had FOURTEEN such innings.

The final three innings of a real no-hitter are beautiful things, they are among my favorite things in baseball, they are filled with excitement and anxiety and hope and the weight of history. These final three innings? Eh, people who know baseball had to figure that the Astros bullpen would complete the no-hitter. Of course, they would.

Reliever No. 1 Bryan Abreu had already had three hitless appearances this postseason.

Reliever No. 2 Rafael Montero already had four hitless appearances this postseason.

Reliever No. 3 Ryan Pressly already had five hitless appearances this postseason.

How do you feel about Javier being pulled after six innings? (Al Bello/Getty Images)
We talk a lot here about how the motivations of teams and the motivations of general baseball fans are not always aligned. The Astros had one goal on Wednesday night and that was to win the game and even the Series and guarantee that they will go back to Houston for Game 6.

That was their sole purpose, and so there was absolutely no way that they were going to have Javier stretch his start in search of baseball immortality. For him to actually throw a World Series no-hitter, he would have had to throw, probably, 135 or 140 pitches. No team in baseball would ever allow that, not in today’s game. Javier has never thrown more than 115 pitches in a game, and he hasn’t thrown even 100 pitches since August.

Right. The winning strategy is to get him out after 97 pitches, have him ready to go out of the bullpen in Game 6 or possibly even start on short rest in Game 7. From the team perspective — and from an Astros fan perspective — that’s 100 percent what Dusty Baker and the Astros should have done.

But for other fans? For baseball itself? As another friend wrote: "Meh. From what I can tell on social media and in news stories, already most people have stopped talking about last night’s game. We’re still talking about Don Larsen 75 years later. The buzz from the combo no-hitter barely lasted 75 minutes.

“Like, OK, you won the game,” my friend wrote. “And in the process made baseball a little less magical, a little less special, a little more mechanized.”

Me, personally, I find myself a little bit lost between the two perspectives. Watching Cristian Javier blow Phillies batters away with a mind-bending slider and a 94-mph fastball that somehow eludes bats was every bit as thrilling as watching Randy Johnson in his prime, watching Tom Seaver in his prime and, I suspect, watching Bob Gibson or Lefty Grove or Christy Mathewson in their primes. It felt timeless. We only got to watch it for six innings, because that’s baseball these days, but it was really fun while it lasted.

Then the parade of awesome relievers came in and, yeah, I definitely felt let down. It seemed weird and clumsy to me when the FOX broadcasters kept referencing Don Larsen. I get why they did it. But this felt like a completely different thing, at least to me. Your mileage may vary.

What I can tell you is that I’m writing a book that counts down the 50 greatest moments in baseball history, so this sort of thing is very much on my mind. Larsen, as you might imagine, is pretty high on the list. Ryan Pressley completing this hitless game would probably not even be in my top five moments of this postseason. I’m not even sure it would be in my Top 5 ASTROS moments of this postseason.

But, hey, it was cool. And you take what you can get. Moments after the game, MLB sent out this Tweet:

Twitter avatar for @MLB
MLB 
@MLB
NO-HITTER!!!!!! #WORLDSERIES
3:28 AM ∙ Nov 3, 2022
Retweets
And it reminded me of the end of the “Harry Potter” series, and the final battle has been fought, and there has been a terrible cost, and the ghost Peeves sings a silly little song.

“Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn’t it?” Ron Weasley said.

That’s exactly what that Tweet does for me. It really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing.

NO-HITTER!!!!!! #WORLDSERIES, indeed.

• Hook 'Em 1

It had nothing to do with romance of the game.

Leaving Javier in would have been great for people rooting against the Astros. It would have made him unavailable for Game 7 and it would have been the best way for the Astros to lose. As soon as you write the line "For him to actually throw a World Series no-hitter, he would have had to throw, probably, 135 or 140 pitches." the rest of the article is pointless. It has nothing to do with modern pitch counts from an arm protection perspective, everyone has now known for decades that pitchers' effectiveness decreases when they get past 100. And the three hardest hit balls (maybe just two?) off of Javier in the entire game were in his last inning, and they were hard grounders which told everyone that his fastball had lost effectiveness.

It's a really long article but it should have been really short. Basically everyone who likes baseball but either wants the Astros to lose or doesn't care who wins wanted Javier to stay in. That's all you had to say.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, pulling Javier was the right move and there is ZERO shame or regret there.  Does one think ANYONE in the Astros organization wishes it had been handled differently?

Fuck no.  It was the right move, and capable teammates pulled their weight.

and I found it pretty damned romantic in its own right.

LFG!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, sidis said:

You still crying? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That is an atrocious strike call. 

ignore the 2 strikes that were called balls.

Go back and watch it again.

HPU sucks ass.  It favors the Phillies.