2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

If judge walks this is easily the shittiest baseball season of all time.

I may have erred when I stated that the definition of "helobious" is "swamp creature".  I am now convinced that the definition is "the detritus at the bottom of the swamp i.e., fish, frog and gator droppings, etc. " 

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I hate and love the playoffs.  It’s a stressful fucking month.

I think it's the most grueling postseason for die-hard fans, even though it's the shortest.  There's so much pressure on every pitch, the games are 3.5 to 4 hours long, and you're playing two or three nights in a row, so it becomes your life.

That's part of what makes this feeling right here what it is.  Losing a World Series is agony and winning one is like nothing else.

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, Briuis said:

Why the fuck would their 2nd best hitter bunt with two strikes, 2 outs, down 3 runs? 

That looked like a white flag being waved.

Nothing against them but the Phillies didn’t seem to be the types that could easily come back late in a game. Unless one swing could do it. They didn’t have any faith in each other to sustain a rally. I think the no-hitter impacted them more than they could admit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I think it's the most grueling postseason for die-hard fans, even though it's the shortest.  There's so much pressure on every pitch, the games are 3.5 to 4 hours long, and you're playing two or three nights in a row, so it becomes your life.

That's part of what makes this feeling right here what it is.  Losing a World Series is agony and winning one is like nothing else.

I posted it in the DS thread, but I saw a quote that said watching your favorite team in the baseball playoffs is like watching a loved one  trying to defuse a bomb for 4 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I posted it in the DS thread, but I saw a quote that said watching your favorite team in the baseball playoffs is like watching a loved one  trying to defuse a bomb for 4 hours. 

It must be worse when you know with a metaphysical certainty that the bomb is going to blow up and kill them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Congrats to Houston. They had an insanely deep pitching staff.

You can say that again.

The Astros’ bullpen was the best in baseball during the regular season. In the postseason, en route to winning a World Series title with a 4-1 victory over the Phillies on Saturday, calling Houston’s relievers dominant seems like a gross understatement.

Among 94 teams that saw their bullpens log 35 or more innings in a single postseason, the Astros accomplished all of this:

The lowest ERA: 0.83, with just five earned runs over 54 1/3 innings
 The lowest opponents’ batting average: .126
 The lowest opponents’ on-base percentage: .215
 The lowest opponents’ slugging percentage: .208
 The lowest WHIP: 0.75

Houston's bullpen is also the first to throw at least 40 innings in a single postseason and post a sub-1.00 ERA.

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Game 5 was the most stressful game I’ve watched since I can’t remember when. Amazing how high your heart rate can get just sitting and watching a game. It just ratcheted up with each pitch. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Game 5 was the most stressful game I’ve watched since I can’t remember when. Amazing how high your heart rate can get just sitting and watching a game. It just ratcheted up with each pitch. 

My wife of 7 years said during Game 5 "this must be a stressful game, I've never seen you this fidgety."

That includes the many, many Longhorn game over those years where we have the lead and lose in 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

They didn't quit, Alvarez's bomb crushed their spirits. It was genuinely almost exactly like Pujols's soulcrusher except they didn't have a series lead and a day off to recover. 

Also, the Astros bullpen was shoving it so far up their (and everyone else’s) ass they couldn’t deal with it nor conceive of scoring 4 runs on that pen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

well that was pleasant and enjoyable, folks.  i never thought turning over at commercials to endure and witness a signature sarkisian second half meltdown would be a calming alternative but there it is...  that yordan bomb is what i have been waiting for since october 2005 to exorcise the fucking ptsd of that pujols-lidge bomb.  what a monster.  great postseason.

hug-time-astros.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, sidis said:

well that was pleasant and enjoyable, folks.  i never thought turning over at commercials to endure and witness a signature sarkisian second half meltdown would be a calming alternative but there it is...  that yordan bomb is what i have been waiting for since october 2005 to exorcise the fucking ptsd of that pujols-lidge bomb.  what a monster.  great postseason.

hug-time-astros.gif

It was exorcised the next game when we won the series but you do you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

They didn't quit, Alvarez's bomb crushed their spirits. It was genuinely almost exactly like Pujols's soulcrusher except they didn't have a series lead and a day off to recover. 

Agreed.  I have watched lots and lots of video....But somehow have missed Schwarber's explanation of his bunt attempt.  To me, only explanation is having soul crushed so much you don't know what to do.

Anyone know how he answered?