2022 World Series Thread - Phillies v Astros

tx 3 putt

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I agree some sort of cushion is okay, but 2 inches is too much. I think a 1 inch cushion is completely reasonable when comparing human umps to machines.

Now of course I want the machines to call balls and strikes but if they're not then dinging an umpire for calling a strike on a ball that missed the zone by 1/64" is silly, or calling a ball on a pitch that caught the zone by half of one stitch on the very front edge of the zone before being caught 2-3 inches wide of the plate.

Is MLB trying to clean up the circus involving checked swing calls? Some of those decisions are just as impactful as those involving the strike zone...and by appearance, even more arbitrary.  

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure about that but by the book it has to be arbitrary. The whole crossing the plane of the front of the plate thing is not part of the rules, it's just a judgment call of if the batter swung at the pitch or not.

The rule if I'm Commish: It's considered a strike if any part of the bat enters the strike zone.

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The rule if I'm Commish: It's considered a strike if any part of the bat enters the strike zone.

I think that's a good rule change. If the point of Gut Wagon's post was that the rule should be changed I'm completely in agreement. Minor subrule to say that if a batter shows bunt then the bat must be pulled back completely out of the strike zone before the ball reaches it. I like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

I think that's a good rule change. If the point of Gut Wagon's post was that the rule should be changed I'm completely in agreement. Minor subrule to say that if a batter shows bunt then the bat must be pulled back completely out of the strike zone before the ball reaches it. I like it.

My thought isn't so much that I know of a great solution (if there even is one) to calling checked swings. I think they'll always be tough to gauge by the human eye. But it seems appropriate to refine those calls as we move toward robo umpiring of balls and strikes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Back on topic, I wonder how the Astros are going to cheat tonight. I guess you can cross illegal bats and sticky substance off the list, maybe they’ll go back to electronic sign stealing? 

Maybe they should use their Apple Watches and IPads?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Shouldn't you be busy cutting up your Judge jerseys while sobbing?

No? He’s coming back. All those rumors about him being unhappy with the team were unfounded (doesn’t mean they’re not true, but the reporter that said it admitted they were full of shit). But I guess that’s all for another thread.

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No? He’s coming back. All those rumors about him being unhappy with the team were unfounded (doesn’t mean they’re not true, but the reporter that said it admitted they were full of shit). But I guess that’s all for another thread.

Here you go...

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/27662-2023-yankees-official-offseason-thread/

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Back on topic, I wonder how the Astros are going to cheat tonight. I guess you can cross illegal bats and sticky substance off the list, maybe they’ll go back to electronic sign stealing? 

That's rich. The Yankees could have had 1972 Gaylord Perry pitching and all their batters swinging tennis rackets and they still would have been eliminated while striking out more often than the Astros. 

• Like 1

It's pretty simple, they cheated but failed in game 1, then cheated successfully in game 2!

I'm not picking up a lot of whining here in Philly about the new cheating. I think tonight is the Stros first trip here since the 2017 scandal though, so I'm sure there will be trash can references and signs. Otherwise our fans will take their seats and clap politely when warranted.

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

It should’ve been a requirement for all new stadiums ever since those things were invented. I’m fully on that bandwagon now, didn’t used to be. It’s getting ridiculous.

It's asinine.

There's some small percentage of Astros fans who had tickets for Friday night who can't go Saturday night, because of a wedding or whatever.  This is a huge middle finger to them because the other city is too cheap to pay for a stadium innovation from 60 fucking years ago?  That's messed up.

And now you get to put Game 7 up against Sunday Night Football.  Smart, MLB.

41 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's asinine.

There's some small percentage of Astros fans who had tickets for Friday night who can't go Saturday night, because of a wedding or whatever.  This is a huge middle finger to them because the other city is too cheap to pay for a stadium innovation from 60 fucking years ago?  That's messed up.

And now you get to put Game 7 up against Sunday Night Football.  Smart, MLB.

That’s just baseball. I haven’t looked but I’m guessing that a majority of ballparks don’t have a roof, retractable or otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That’s just baseball. I haven’t looked but I’m guessing that a majority of ballparks don’t have a roof, retractable or otherwise. 

This is like saying, "horrible ball/strike calls are just part of baseball."

If we have the ability to fix things that ruin games, we should.  

This is like saying, "horrible ball/strike calls are just part of baseball."
If we have the ability to fix things that ruin games, we should.  

Agree. There’s really only like 8 teams that can be competitive in baseball anymore. No salary cap etc. limits at least 2/3 of teams from ever being competitive. Those 8 should be mandated to have roofs.

I’m only partially kidding.

49 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Well it's not like the weather forecast hasn't been known since last week

Hilarious to see the articles popping up like mushrooms saying that the delay favors Philadelphia, because they can now bring back their better pitchers earlier in the series - as if that doesn't work both ways.  Last I remember, their best two pitchers got touched up for 5 runs each.  The only slight benefit is moving Syndergaard back to game 5 before the off day which means that Thomson may feel more free to empty the bullpen behind him.

It's grasping at straws, because in no way does Philadelphia's rotation match up favorably against Houston's.  Swapping up the front, middle, and back of the rotation doesn't change the overall quality.  It's gambling for a win earlier in the Series rather than later and hoping for their sluggers to finally get to Houston's staff.  I mean... it's a strategy, but I wouldn't call it an advantage.

• Hook 'Em 1

This mandatory retractable/fixed roof discussion is stupid. So 23 teams should scrap their current stadium? Also, of the 7, only the Seattle one was built because of the rain factor. The stadiums in Miami, Tampa, Houston , Texas, Arizona, Toronto and Milwaukee have closed/retractable roofs primarily because of temperature considerations with no rainouts a secondary benefit. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Surprised Nicolas Cage GIF

Yeah, the Dome opened in 1965.  It doesn't have to be a retractable roof.

There's no good reason for a rainout to alter a World Series in 2022.  Good lord.  If open-air stadiums are gonna continue to be a thing, then move the game up 3 or 4 hours, as others have suggested.  Yeah, you lose some viewers.  But the ad time is already sold.  Everybody deals with it. 

What you don't do is give the team with weaker pitching depth an extra off day because their city wouldn't pony up for a 21st Century stadium. 

Edited by TexArcher

Maybe the communities should be allowed to decide? Since teams are trying to draw 2 million+ local fans, maybe they should build a facility that those people want to visit regularly? As opposed to October weddings 1,500 miles away.

Philly, NYC, Boston, Chicago, Baltimore, DC...I don't think a dome has ever been seriously considered for any MLB or NFL team in those cities. Without CR'ing this (read: definitely CR), spending a ton of money on an unpopular facility that will run up massive energy bills is not going to fly right now in most large cities.

It is absolutely true Game 3 could have been played just by starting four hours earlier, a decision which could have been made on Sunday. It's also true that one of these days, a northern host is gonna have multiple cancellations and games played under 40 degrees. Those are two completely different problems, but neither will ever change. Good news - the rest of this week will be beautiful here in Philly. 

• Hook 'Em 1