Ant Man and The Wasp: Quantumania

mdmost

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What gets me to this movie is Paul Ruud. I just like seeing him in movies. I thought this was okay as far as these types of movies go. It was two hours to just relax and drown out the outside world. I wanted to see it in 3D, but it was raining so I went to the AMC location that is closer to me instead of over by Lincoln Center on the other side of the park. 

I think kids will probably enjoy this quite a bit. These movies are really marketed more towards kids or people that are big fans of Marvel. I enjoyed watching it today. I think I liked the last Ant Man movie more though.

I used to really look forward to new Marvel movies but that ended with Phase Four. They have been mostly duds and just kinda un-fun since then. I’ll have to hear that this is really great before considering the $100+ for four of us to see it in the theater. I’ve got a good home setup and don’t mind waiting until it hits streaming.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I used to really look forward to new Marvel movies but that ended with Phase Four. They have been mostly duds and just kinda un-fun since then. I’ll have to hear that this is really great before considering the $100+ for four of us to see it in the theater. I’ve got a good home setup and don’t mind waiting until it hits streaming.

I would say if your kids really want to see it then take them and sink a 100 into this so they can enjoy themselves. If they aren’t pushing you to go then probably just wait for it to stream. 

Man, I just can't anymore. I've always treated comic book movies as this generation's equivalent of the 80's and 90's one-man-army action movies--fun, shallow popcorn entertainment--and I've enjoyed them as such. But they don't even deliver at that level anymore.

Not that the stakes were ever that high in these, but with all the time travel and infinite universes, literally nothing matters...or ever happened. I see this trailer and the Flash trailer and realize that I'm obviously not the target audience anymore.

Kinda feels like we're finally approaching the saturation point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would say if your kids really want to see it then take them and sink a 100 into this so they can enjoy themselves. If they aren’t pushing you to go then probably just wait for it to stream. 

Well that’s the other problem (for Marvel): my kids aren’t interested at all which means none of their friends are talking about it. And they have seen every Marvel movie.

I'm going Saturday night.  Yeah, the Marvel movies have for the most part declined since Endgame, and the trailer for this one doesn't get me excited.  But these movies can still be fun, and more importantly, going to a movie periodically at Alamo with my kids is something we enjoy doing, even my eleventh-grade daughter who generally wants less to do with her old man these days. 

Edited by South Austin
der
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm going Saturday night.  Yeah, the Marvel movies have for the most part declined since Engame, and the trailer for this one doesn't get me excited.  But these movies can still be fun, and more importantly, going to a movie periodically at Alamo with my kids is something we enjoy doing, even my eleventh-grade daughter who generally wants less to do with her old man these days. 

True, I enjoy going to movies with your kids as well.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Man, I just can't anymore. I've always treated comic book movies as this generation's equivalent of the 80's and 90's one-man-army action movies--fun, shallow popcorn entertainment--and I've enjoyed them as such. But they don't even deliver at that level anymore.

Not that the stakes were ever that high in these, but with all the time travel and infinite universes, literally nothing matters...or ever happened. I see this trailer and the Flash trailer and realize that I'm obviously not the target audience anymore.

Kinda feels like we're finally approaching the saturation point.

It's not just you, early reviews I saw (from last night) were pretty bad.

We are going to see it tomorrow. Bought tickets a few weeks back, but this one is checking in at 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, which would tie it with the Eternals for the worst reviewed MCU movie ever. And man, the Eternals was just not very good.

My kids grew up on this shit and we've seen just about every one of these on opening weekend going back for years. But even my kids are like, "Uh, if this one sucks, I'm out." Just from the previews, it looks like Paul Rudd doing a lot of running around the over CGI'd quantum universe whining about his kid and trying to save her. I can't say I'm looking forward to this one.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We are going to see it tomorrow. Bought tickets a few weeks back, but this one is checking in at 47% on Rotten Tomatoes, which would tie it with the Eternals for the worst reviewed MCU movie ever. And man, the Eternals was just not very good.

My kids grew up on this shit and we've seen just about every one of these on opening weekend going back for years. But even my kids are like, "Uh, if this one sucks, I'm out." Just from the previews, it looks like Paul Rudd doing a lot of running around the over CGI'd quantum universe whining about his kid and trying to save her. I can't say I'm looking forward to this one.

Oof. Eternals was really bad.

200.gif
I know, not a popular opinion, just thought it was messy. Probably shouldn't have watched it a 2nd time...3 spideys were fun but the whole risking everything to rehabilitate villains from different timelines for 3 hrs wore on me. Im hoping its not marvel fatigue setting in...

1 minute ago, ballrific said:

I know, not a popular opinion, just thought it was messy. Probably shouldn't have watched it a 2nd time...3 spideys were fun but the whole risking everything to rehabilitate villains from different timelines for 3 hrs wore on me. Im hoping its not marvel fatigue setting in...

It's just that if you were to pick out one to talk about how trite and repetitive the Marvel Universe has become, why pick no way home. You had Black Widow, Thor 4, Doctor Strange 2, and The Eternals to pick from and you picked No Way Home. It is far and away the best thing put out by Marvel since Infinity War. 

41 minutes ago, MoJames said:

It's just that if you were to pick out one to talk about how trite and repetitive the Marvel Universe has become, why pick no way home. You had Black Widow, Thor 4, Doctor Strange 2, and The Eternals to pick from and you picked No Way Home. It is far and away the best thing put out by Marvel since Infinity War. 

I actually agree y'all both-- No Way Home was the best of the poopoo platter you mentioned (though I would argue BW was better), but also No Way Home (and BW) kinda sucked. Tallest midget syndrome.

I actually agree y'all both-- No Way Home was the best of the poopoo platter you mentioned (though I would argue BW was better), but also No Way Home (and BW) kinda sucked. Tallest midget syndrome.
I probably should have listed what I was comparing it to. "No Way Home was the best of the poopoo platter you mentioned" is accurate and I wouldn't disagree. I didn't mind BW, liked it better than Thor 4, not sure about Strange 2. I dug the BW story, my one gripe is they could have done so much more with taskmaster.
  • Like 1

I think the critics have Marvel fatigue and that drives their reviews. This was way better than Eternals and better than Thor 1 & 2.

It’s pretty straight forward and you know how it’s gonna end before you sit down. Not as good as the first Ant-Man but as good as the second one. The Quantum realm has a great design and you don’t get tired of looking at it. It’s not as funny as the first movie but 99% of that humor was due to Michael Peña.

Michelle Pfeiffer is somehow hotter than ever.

Majors is solid.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Michelle Pfeiffer is somehow hotter than ever.

I was struck by this as well.  Although, I wouldn’t say “hot.”   She just looks… beautiful.  

Which brings up an annoying inconsistency in MCU quantum realm logic.  Scott spends 5 yrs in the quantum realm and ages 5 hours.   Janet spends 30 years in the quantum realm and ages… 30 years.  

• Like 1

I was struck by this as well.  Although, I wouldn’t say “hot.”   She just looks… beautiful.  

Which brings up an annoying inconsistency in MCU quantum realm logic.  Scott spends 5 yrs in the quantum realm and ages 5 hours.   Janet spends 30 years in the quantum realm and ages… 30 years.  

This was explained by Scott falling in a time vortex while Janet fell straight into the quantum realm. In one of the other movies, she tells Scott to avoid a time vortex because if he does, they can’t get him back. That’s why he missed the blip.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I enjoyed it. It set up the new phase pretty well. It's not Endgame and that's fine. I enjoyed the world building part of it, similar to Avatar. One question, how do they breathe oxygen in the Quantum Realm? Quantum oxygen particle? I think Jonathan Majors will make a great Big Bad for this phase. Both after credit scenes were great. 

So next up is Guardians though that seems like it's going to be the end for that group, minus Nebula and a few others who want to keep going. 

• Like 1

It did great at the box office, despite early bad reviews. 

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is on track to earn $118 million at the domestic box office over Presidents Day weekend—a sign that the Marvel Cinematic Universe remains a strong pull at theaters even as it enters its fifth phase. With its strong opening weekend, Ant-Man also extended a mind-blowing Marvel streak: It became the 31st consecutive MCU release to debut at No. 1 at the box office, per CNBC.