Elliptical Machines

Anyone an expert? I use them at the gym sometimes, pretty much always a Precor. Wife decided she wants one because it's hard to get to the gym with 3 little kids at home. She wants a Precor, one without moving arms. I told her I want moving arms so that if I use it I can get more of a workout. Precor is expensive as hell though. About 5K for the one with moving arms.

I have one of these and it's fun as hell.  You just have to be prepared for everyone to stare at you like you're an idiot.  I prefer it to my bike any day of the week, though.

I realize you're talking about indoor, though, so I apologize because I'm no help.

• Like 2

Not an expert, but you don't have to replicate gym machines for home use.  Gym equipment has to stand up to a ton of abuse so it's very overbuilt.  You can sacrifice some quality to save some coin.  Look used on craigslist and such.  Tons of people out there who buy equipment and barely use it.  Before dropping any serious coin I would try to make more of a commitment to go to the gym.  Home setups are pointless unless fitness is a priority to the person.  The same excuse that keep you from the gym will keep you off from a home gym.

Many years ago I went to BusyBody in Houston on 10 @ the Beltway west of town.

Took a truck over and bought a used elliptical.....came from a gym swap out I'm sure. Saved about 1/2 on the cost of a new one and never noticed a difference.

I'm not sure if they are still in business but certainly someone out there is reselling that stuff.

Tried the gym thing with her. She was going while kids were in school so I think she will use it. Her argument is valid, if she goes to the gym this summer she has to pay close to 30 bucks in child care plus the added time of commuting there, getting kids ready, etc. I go to the gym every morning before everyone gets up. If I convince her to do that then she takes my only available gym time.

Plus if I get a machine I know I'll use it some as well when I don't have time to get out to the gym.

Was considering used. Don't know what that does to warranties.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, Horny04 said:

Tried the gym thing with her. She was going while kids were in school so I think she will use it. Her argument is valid, if she goes to the gym this summer she has to pay close to 30 bucks in child care plus the added time of commuting there, getting kids ready, etc. I go to the gym every morning before everyone gets up. If I convince her to do that then she takes my only available gym time.

Plus if I get a machine I know I'll use it some as well when I don't have time to get out to the gym.

Was considering used. Don't know what that does to warranties.

Can you go to a gym that has on site child care? 

• 1 year later...

I have this issue.  Been on a regular elliptical regimen along with weight lifting.  I have ligament damage and a bone spur in my right ankle.  I need surgery, but that will have to wait quite awhile.  I need to figure out a low impact exercise to get/keep me in shape.  I tried swimming laps yesterday with my son, who is on his HS swim team.  I almost drowned trying to remotely keep pace.  But maybe that is the call.

I like to run, but started having some patella tendon soreness, so my wife bought me a Hydrow for Christmas to mix it up a bit.  Highly recommend.

https://hydrow.com

You'll need to turn it up a notch beyond the instructors to get a cardio workout, but once you figure it out the 20 or 30 minute workouts turn into some hard shit.

• Like 1

I like to run, but started having some patella tendon soreness, so my wife bought me a Hydrow for Christmas to mix it up a bit.  Highly recommend.
https://hydrow.com
You'll need to turn it up a notch beyond the instructors to get a cardio workout, but once you figure it out the 20 or 30 minute workouts turn into some hard shit.

Wasn’t sure if I would like one so I got “cheap” water rower that has good ratings. Love it! Been doing 20 to 30 minutes a day since first of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, Tom said:

I have one of these and it's fun as hell.  You just have to be prepared for everyone to stare at you like you're an idiot.  I prefer it to my bike any day of the week, though.

I realize you're talking about indoor, though, so I apologize because I'm no help.

ElliptiGo now sells an add-on so you can use their bikes as a stationary bike or out on the road. The nice thing about these is depending on where you ride you are much more visible to traffic. The other thing is that with home electronics, home tv subscriptions, etc. you don't really need to pay for the electronics that come with what you see in a gym.

Edited by Chopper

Had a Nordic Track elliptical for years and the only maintenance I did was a couple of drops of oil when it started to squeak.  I'm an old with the expected joint problems. I went to PT where they had a NuStep which is fantastic, but 4-5K depending on the model. I got a Tetter Freestep Recumbent Cross-trainer, which is a poor man's NuStep.  It ain't no NuStep, but it'll do. Easy on the joints and you can work as hard or as easy as you want. 

• 2 years later...

@Skipper Are you still liking that Bowflex max? 

I am in the market, I have ridden my recumbent ex bike nearly every day for a few years but my lower back is giving me fits and so I've been using the elliptical. I dig the extra calories it burns vs the bike. I love the small footprint of the max and it appears to be an even better calorie burner vs a straight elliptical. The problem is the height. My ceilings in my basement where I would put it are 6'11.5. Without shoes I'm a shade under 6. I tried one at Dick's with my tape measure in shoes and it looks like I might just barely hit 7'1. But I have padded carpet down there and would be riding barefoot. Plus I can't imagine I'm standing totally upright during a workout. The backup plan is that I'm knocking out my drywall ceiling in an area of the basement within a year anyway so I would have the clearance then. Does it have a slope setting today would make it go even taller? 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:47 PM, Baboontyme said:

@Skipper Are you still liking that Bowflex max? 

I am in the market, I have ridden my recumbent ex bike nearly every day for a few years but my lower back is giving me fits and so I've been using the elliptical. I dig the extra calories it burns vs the bike. I love the small footprint of the max and it appears to be an even better calorie burner vs a straight elliptical. The problem is the height. My ceilings in my basement where I would put it are 6'11.5. Without shoes I'm a shade under 6. I tried one at Dick's with my tape measure in shoes and it looks like I might just barely hit 7'1. But I have padded carpet down there and would be riding barefoot. Plus I can't imagine I'm standing totally upright during a workout. The backup plan is that I'm knocking out my drywall ceiling in an area of the basement within a year anyway so I would have the clearance then. Does it have a slope setting today would make it go even taller? 

We got a peloton last year and I probably use it for 90% of cardio these days.   I'll still jump on the bowflex max probably once a month just for a change of pace but don't use it near as much as I used to.  That being said - it's not that I dislike it.  I just prefer the Peloton. 

• Like 1