America’s Worst Serial Killer?WTF is wrong with you Iowa?

Nicole44

https://www.newsweek.com/fbi-joining-hunt-alleged-iowa-serial-killers-burial-ground-1754615

if true that would certainly qualify as the most prolific. Apparently somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-100. I guess he picked up prostitutes from Nebraska and then killed them and had his five kids help him dispose of them. This is beyond horrific. So over the course of three decades nobody noticed. Apparently the cops in Iowa were “wary” of him and didn’t bother with him. Jesus. It reminds me of the pig farm murders. 

adding more articles because this beyond fucked up:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/10/25/donald-dean-studey-alleged-iowa-serial-killer-daughter/10596323002/

https://nypost.com/2022/10/25/iowa-authorities-probe-lucy-studeys-claim-father-was-serial-killer/amp/

This could be a massive story. Like etched in American history big.

I wonder if the older sister could face charges if she really is covering it up. The fact that their brother offed himself seems like a relevant data point. That poor other sister. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This could be a massive story. Like etched in American history big.

I wonder if the older sister could face charges if she really is covering it up. The fact that their brother offed himself seems like a relevant data point. That poor other sister. 

So there were five kids and one committed suicide as did the perp. He had two wives that died one by electrical cord strangulation and one by gunshot.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yeah, that's a shit-ton of bodies in one place; likely bullshit.   Plus, most serial killers seem quieter, less openly aggressive and keep out of the legal system until/if caught. 

I honestly don’t want to believe that woman’s story. It does remind me of the pig farm stuff https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton#Murders

Pickton Brothers…but most people don’t remember it.

"We're going to do everything we can to prove or disprove there may be a crime scene," Aistrope said.

Local, state and federal agencies are involved, including the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and the FBI, Aistrope told KETV.

"They'd asked us to assist with the investigation as well as the FBI and we're happy to do so, you know, and try to provide manpower and resources," assistant director with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, told KETV.

that last part cracks me up. They asked us to assist…

From the comments:

image.png.a31554ad9d0ca5ac1e848ae23da544cd.png

Seems a bit like Dahmer in that people were ringing the alarm, but the police ignored it because the guy was targeting a group (prostitutes in this case) on the fringe of mainstream society.  That's not a problem exclusive to Iowa.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

From the comments:

image.png.a31554ad9d0ca5ac1e848ae23da544cd.png

Seems a bit like Dahmer in that people were ringing the alarm, but the police ignored it because the guy was targeting a group (prostitutes in this case) on the fringe of mainstream society.  That's not a problem exclusive to Iowa.

100%! I’ve mentioned this in various crime threads that a friend of mine was murdered by a serial killer in 2002 in Baton Rouge. I was staggered by how many missing women there were at that time (granted they had two serial killers working simultaneously which for a place that size is bizarre.) there were something like 90 unsolved homicides of women in the city around that time. They just don’t care about the prostitutes. The pig farm case, Gary Ridgeway, etc..people think not that many prostitutes can go missing from a place like Omaha. Not true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I'm not sure why people are claiming this is bullshit. The whistleblowing daughter has apparently been trying to report it to authority figures since she was a child. Multiple people related to this guy have killed themselves including him. Now there are body-sniffing dogs - that are objective and a lot better at what they do than dumbass cops - potentially identifying bodies. I'm not sure I buy 70 murders but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they dug up a few bodies around there and it led to an extremely thorough investigation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah I'm not sure why people are claiming this is bullshit. The whistleblowing daughter has apparently been trying to report it to authority figures since she was a child. Multiple people related to this guy have killed themselves including him. Now there are body-sniffing dogs - that are objective and a lot better at what they do than dumbass cops - potentially identifying bodies. I'm not sure I buy 70 murders but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they dug up a few bodies around there and it led to an extremely thorough investigation. 

The bold part is why it feels like BS to me. Having a few people she told ignore her is very believable, but having everyone she told over many years, including cops all ignore her starts to seem less likely.  There has to be more to her reporting, if it even happened, than is being reported.     A teen telling a cop that her dad killed people and she knows where the bodies are is not going to be ignored unless it's mixed with something else, like "we had a meeting on Mars with aliens, and then my dad killed people and I know where the bodies are".  She's either lying about telling people or there is something else that undercut her credibility.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The bold part is why it feels like BS to me. Having a few people she told ignore her is very believable, but having everyone she told over many years, including cops all ignore her starts to seem less likely.  There has to be more to her reporting, if it even happened, than is being reported.     A teen telling a cop that her dad killed people and she knows where the bodies are is not going to be ignored unless it's mixed with something else, like "we had a meeting on Mars with aliens, and then my dad killed people and I know where the bodies are".  She's either lying about telling people or there is something else that undercut her credibility.  

Except if she's been labeled as the girl that makes up murder stories since she was young then yes she would absolutely continue to be ignored as a teenager. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

if true that would certainly qualify as the most prolific. Apparently somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-100. I guess he picked up prostitutes from Nebraska and then killed them and had his five kids help him dispose of them. This is beyond horrific. So over the course of three decades nobody noticed. Apparently the cops in Iowa were “wary” of him and didn’t bother with him. Jesus. It reminds me of the pig farm murders. 

Is there a difference? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

100%! I’ve mentioned this in various crime threads that a friend of mine was murdered by a serial killer in 2002 in Baton Rouge. I was staggered by how many missing women there were at that time (granted they had two serial killers working simultaneously which for a place that size is bizarre.) there were something like 90 unsolved homicides of women in the city around that time. They just don’t care about the prostitutes. The pig farm case, Gary Ridgeway, etc..people think not that many prostitutes can go missing from a place like Omaha. Not true. 

0e8b7d2c53195177a326670609fcb7ea.jpg

• Haha 1

I will note that there are a couple of long term missing person cases around Lincoln that would probably line up pretty good with this guy. (Not counting the one that it’s 99% clear the husband did it, and he’s already locked up for a very long time for other reasons)

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Except if she's been labeled as the girl that makes up murder stories since she was young then yes she would absolutely continue to be ignored as a teenager. 

That line of thought holds weight for a small groups of people who have a shared experience with her, like teachers at the same school, but people come and go and LEOs turnover all the time.  People she told one year would have no contact with people she told the next year.   It seems highly unlikely to me that she could have told as many people as she did and she was always ignored.

The lead line from one of the Newsweek articles reads:

For 45 years, Lucy Studey told anyone who would listen that her father had murdered scores of young women and buried them with the help of his children. No one believed her.

That rings true to you?  

38 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

That line of thought holds weight for a small groups of people who have a shared experience with her, like teachers at the same school, but people come and go and LEOs turnover all the time.  People she told one year would have no contact with people she told the next year.   It seems highly unlikely to me that she could have told as many people as she did and she was always ignored.

The lead line from one of the Newsweek articles reads:

That rings true to you?  

That's a good point. But it seems like a very small town, backwoodsy type environment. It's not unheard of for stuff to get swept under the rug or turned a blind eye to in places like that. 

Again - I don't think this dude murdered 70 hookers - but I do think there could be some shit that hasn't been dug up on him. It doesn't seem like he was your run of the mill, overbearing father like the other sister claims.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I'd kinda like to see some pics of the sisters.

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

She's a >35 yo Iowan. You don't wanna see pics.

Go in your closet and get a pair of your old baggy jeans and oversized hoody, lay them on the bed, stuff them full of pillows, and there you go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

A girl I went to high school with was murdered by a serial killer a couple years after we graduated. She supposedly left the library one night at Memphis state and found a week later in a ditch in north Mississippi. There were several other girls in similar fashion raped, murdered, dumped around town in that period.

• Rage+1 1

I’m at least glad the DCI and FBI are involved in large part because if all true the local authorities dropped the ball. In all the articles I read, they bitched about the cost of digging and also said that while they knew the alleged perp was a POS they never went out to the home because they were wary of him. Allegedly the daughter had been telling people in town since she was a child so if it’s all true the local authorities shouldn’t be in charge at all…

The dog handlers said at the places the dogs alerted to that the handlers could smell decomp in the area. 

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m at least glad the DCI and FBI are involved in large part because if all true the local authorities dropped the ball. In all the articles I read, they bitched about the cost of digging and also said that while they knew the alleged perp was a POS they never went out to the home because they were wary of him. Allegedly the daughter had been telling people in town since she was a child so if it’s all true the local authorities shouldn’t be in charge at all…

The dog handlers said at the places the dogs alerted to that the handlers could smell decomp in the area. 

That was just the smell of Nebraska football. 

• Haha 4