Work Email Pet Peeves

Neonmoon

Colleagues who email or teams every detail of their day. Just got one right now that said they were going to go take their mom to vote. I don't fucking care. What you do at any point in time doesn't affect me, so why do I need to know when you are taking a break, or going to lunch. 

15 hours ago, tx ind said:

I don’t like it either but have an awesome former colleague that did that from time to time.  His explanation was that it was a reminder to himself in his inbox if something was important, which I kinda get.

I hate when people draft a super long email with 8 paragraphs, etc. for something that could be hammered out in a call in 10-15 minutes over the phone/video.  Probably took 30 minutes to write up something that could be discussed quickly.

Why does he not BCC himself so he gets it in his inbox, but also does not look like a tool?

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

People who stop by your office 30 seconds after sending you an email. “I just sent you an email, so what I need…”

It is one or the other fuckface. In fact, just send the email, it’s never a good idea to stop by. I don’t want to talk to you. 

Some people need that because they don't read their emails, AND you need the record of you telling them some shit so they can't deny it later.

24 minutes ago, Twizzler said:

Can I pile on with IMs?  Whoever taught you should greet, or ask if someone can IM can fuck off. 

Them: Hi.

Me:  (annoyed) Hi... (and waiting and waiting  and waiting)

Them: The question.

Never respond to those. Not even a "hi" back. Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Twizzler said:

Can I pile on with IMs?  Whoever taught you should greet, or ask if someone can IM can fuck off. 

I have one guy who will do a Hi every 5 minutes up to about 5 times.  Enraging...I tried "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" to break him of this but it hasn't worked.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Years ago, when I was a couple of years out of college and the job market was not so hot, I worked with the dumbest person I have come across in any workplace. And that includes teenage stints as a bus boy, dishwasher, McDonald's, and doing skilled trade work in large auto plants. We were both contractors for a temp agency at a major automotive company. It was embarrassing to be an 'equal' in the workplace with this person, frankly. Anyway, she routinely sent emails with the Subject line "FYI" that would just contain a question.

TO: Baboontyme

Subject: FYI

Hi Baboon, what time do we have our Operations meeting?

She was also studying for her *Associates* degree (n her mid 40s) and she would ask me all of the time for help with her "algerbra" homework. It was like trying to teach math to a dog. "So all it means is that X is a fill in the blank number and you have to figure out what that fill in the blank number is" Looks at me wide eyed. "So in this example 2 + X = 3, can you figure out what number X is supposed to be?" Blank stare. Algerbra is tough. 

How was she in the sack?

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 10:15 PM, Twizzler said:

Another version of this that I see a lot

Them: asks a leading question that will definitely need followup

Me: immediately answers question

Them: "typing... typing... typing"...... 3 minutes of nothing ... "typing typing typing".... 5 minutes of nothing... "typing typing typing" ... 5 more minutes... 4 word reply. 

I have never, ever, in my entire life, answered an IM. ever. And I never will.

The other day I got a text from some random number saying "I need you personal email". This was a weekday, but I was not in the office.

delete.

half a hour later "I need your personal email, your work email doesn't work on <platform x goobbly gook IT talk that i don't even try or care to understand>" (my work email is a .edu account). wtf?

delete.

half an hour later "This is <IT guy's name>, repeat.

me: Sorry, I didn't know it was you. I don't have a personal email. I use my work account for everything, or burner accounts. (This is actually the truth).

30 seconds later. "OK, I guess I can make it work".  (wtf?)

delete.

30 seconds later: "would you add me to your contacts?"

delete.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:24 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

I have never, ever, in my entire life, answered an IM. ever. And I never will.

The other day I got a text from some random number saying "I need you personal email". This was a weekday, but I was not in the office.

delete.

half a hour later "I need your personal email, your work email doesn't work on <platform x goobbly gook IT talk that i don't even try or care to understand>" (my work email is a .edu account). wtf?

delete.

half an hour later "This is <IT guy's name>, repeat.

me: Sorry, I didn't know it was you. I don't have a personal email. I use my work account for everything, or burner accounts. (This is actually the truth).

30 seconds later. "OK, I guess I can make it work".  (wtf?)

delete.

30 seconds later: "would you add me to your contacts?"

delete.

Related to this, is almost every ap this days:  "Will you allow notifications?"

Fuck no.   I know where to look if i need something from you.  I don't need the random interruptions.

See also: people at work don't get shit turned in on time so boss wants to set up fucking reminders for everything. I accept the invite and then delete them.  Bitch, i know what needs to be done on a regular basis.  Reminders are for one-off shit and out-of-the-ordinary things.

I swear some people set this shit up so they'll feel loved.  It's a gotdam beating.