The Pale Blue Eye - Mystery/Horror (Netflix, January, Christian Bale, Robert Duvall, Gillian Anderson, Scott Cooper dir. (Hostiles))

atomheartbevo

Scott Cooper directing and writing, he wrote and directed Bale in Hostiles, which I loved.

Harry Melling plays Poe, you may remember him as a Harry Potter’s cousin Dudley Dursley, plus Lucy Boynton, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Toby Jones, Harry Lowry, Simon McBurney, Timothy Spall.

West Point, 1830. A world-weary detective is hired to discreetly investigate the gruesome murder of a cadet. Stymied by the cadets’ code of silence, he enlists one of their own to help unravel the case — a young man the world would come to know as Edgar Allan Poe.

@RDCanecutter may appreciate this one.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

• atomheartbevo changed the title to The Pale Blue Eye - Mystery/Horror (Netflix, January, Christian Bale, Robert Duvall, Gillian Anderson, Scott Cooper dir. (Hostiles))
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, mchookem said:

this looks awesome. 

trailer was reminiscent of Ravenous (but not quite as quirky), which was an odd little horror movie that hardly anybody saw but i love it 😁 so...i recommend as well!

Saw that in a little town in Mexico while traveling with my son, who was young enough that he wanted to leave the theater. Then not too much later, he and friends were creating their own Youtube horror series.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not to continue the derail, but Ravenous is fucking WILD. I didn’t think Robert Carlyle could portray a crazier character than Begbie in the Trainspotting. The music is really mesmerizing as well.

Definitely in for this. Melling was great in Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Saw it, enjoyed it. Don't see myself obsessively re-watching, but maybe once again to notice all the little clues.

Well-done casting, no complaints. The semi-grotesque West Point officers fit the period and hint at the pettifoggery that became incarnate in Braxton Bragg.

Language:

Enjoyed the addition of so many Brit actors, who, even if they were trying to sound American, still produced a sound that made me reflect that, in 1830, I doubt there was much difference between a middle-of-the-road American vs "British" (if anybody spoke that, yarrr) accent. Even if immigration was not yet very high, a lot of those cadets probably had grandparents born in Britain or Ireland. Plus these cadets had the ADHD beaten out of them as children with sticks, that comes through in the speech patterns.

Poe: They have him speaking a rather heavy but not unpleasant Generic Southern Gentry accent, maybe from 4 states south of Virginia. I am not sure how a man who grew up in the 1830s in Richmond would sound, but if Tidewater, the average viewer might be left wondering where that comes from. The actor's Generic Ancient Alabamian clubs home the point that Poe is from far away down South.

The leading lady had the worst habit of murmuring kittenishly in such a way that I needed subtitles just to see if she was talking or purring. The barmaid was more my type.

Candles:

Good Lord Can No One Trim A Candle? Multiple half-melted candles everywhere, three-inch wicks spouting foot-high flames. Surprised the entire town didn't burn down. A bunch of broke-ass people in the middle of nowhere sure can burn up valuable candles. Why do they need candles in the pub anyway? Fireplace is right there.

The Doctor's Wealth:

My wife, who reads Jane Austen the way a detective examines a crime scene, kept yelling during the scenes in the doctor's house that they are phenomenally wealthy to have the things they do. Sure, there'd be Robber Baron mansions up and down the Hudson later, but this is an Army Doctor treating cadets for vertigo. I suppose having a fancy ancestor entitles you to things.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Candles:

Good Lord Can No One Trim A Candle? Multiple half-melted candles everywhere, three-inch wicks spouting foot-high flames. Surprised the entire town didn't burn down. A bunch of broke-ass people in the middle of nowhere sure can burn up valuable candles. Why do they need candles in the pub anyway? Fireplace is right there.

The Doctor's Wealth:

My wife, who reads Jane Austen the way a detective examines a crime scene, kept yelling during the scenes in the doctor's house that they are phenomenally wealthy to have the things they do. Sure, there'd be Robber Baron mansions up and down the Hudson later, but this is an Army Doctor treating cadets for vertigo. I suppose having a fancy ancestor entitles you to things.

This is the review we needed, one that delves into the period.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

On 12/7/2022 at 12:18 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Saw that in a little town in Mexico while traveling with my son, who was young enough that he wanted to leave the theater. Then not too much later, he and friends were creating their own Youtube horror series.

I'm down for Mexico road trips with you whenever

• Drool 1

On 1/9/2023 at 12:55 AM, atomheartbevo said:

This is the review we needed, one that delves into the period.

Disagreed on Americans in the 1830s. Most had been there for generations. Our accents were distinct, if not still evolving, by 1830s. 

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

wut

The new Mexican tourist card if you plan to go farther in than the border zone. Used to be you could give some vague destination, eg first time I went in I said "Nayarit", a state on the west coast that I have yet to visit. But from what I hear, now they want an actual address of where you plan to stay. Like traveling to Germany or some shit, as opposed to walking into the bus station and flipping a coin.

Though, come to think of it, I guess I could rattle off some address way down in Mexico, and if asked why I'm in Oaxaca instead of Colima, just give some sort of telenovela answer.

4 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Disagreed on Americans in the 1830s. Most had been there for generations. Our accents were distinct, if not still evolving, by 1830s. 

A good example is President William Howard Taft. Early recordings of Taft’s voice evince a distinct Irish-Scottish lilt…he sounded to me about like what I imagine a person from Belfast would sound like after moving to the U.S. as a teenager and spending a few decades here. But if you look at Taft’s biography, you’ll notice he was born in Ohio, in 1857, to American parents who had roots stretching back to colonial Massachusetts. So it’s a native American accent. Go ahead and listen:

http://www.historicalvoices.org/earliest_voices/taft_s1.html 

https://outofthiscentury.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/early-american-accents/

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

The new Mexican tourist card if you plan to go farther in than the border zone. Used to be you could give some vague destination, eg first time I went in I said "Nayarit", a state on the west coast that I have yet to visit. But from what I hear, now they want an actual address of where you plan to stay. Like traveling to Germany or some shit, as opposed to walking into the bus station and flipping a coin.

Though, come to think of it, I guess I could rattle off some address way down in Mexico, and if asked why I'm in Oaxaca instead of Colima, just give some sort of telenovela answer.

I assume you mean the FMM, which hasn't changed since 2015. Pretty much zero chance you have a "new" one, since they are phasing out the FMM completely and going to passport stamping only.

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-begins-to-phase-out-paper-versions-of-the-fmm/#:~:text=Mexico's paper FMM forms being,Mexico no longer use them.

I've filled out 30+ FMMs over the years and never had anyone question what I wrote, and I rarely put down an address either, just PDC/Cozumel/La Paz/Tulum, etc.

"from what I hear" is FB code for "I'm spreading a rumor now". Mexico has not suddenly started demanding exact destination addresses and proof of return flights from US citizens.

• 2 weeks later...

So, when watching the Harry Potter films as they came out over the years, which of you said to himself, "I think that Harry Melling kid is going to prove the greatest acting talent of this bunch of kids?"

He was magnificent as Poe, stole every scene he was in.

Really enjoyed the film, despite the story itself not being terribly compelling.  Love the gothic, sort of Sleepy Hollow setting, the overall vibe.  Fun flick to spend a late evening with.  I'd give it a B or B+.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

So, when watching the Harry Potter films as they came out over the years, which of you said to himself, "I think that Harry Melling kid is going to prove the greatest acting talent of this bunch of kids?"

Anybody who guessed that, probably guessed that Neville Longbottom was secretly the love child of Clive Owen and would go from this

intro-1543958372.jpg

to this:

rs_600x600-150722072939-600.Matthew-Lewi

he’s off the market though

Neville-Longbottom-Matt-Lewis-Harry-Pott

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Drool 1

56 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Also, whoever made the comment above about the score being noticeably similar to Silence of the Lambs, great ear!

It sounded so similar there were moments you could close your eyes and expect Clarice or Hannibal to start talking.

that was me... and yes that was exactly it! for me it was the opening credit scene of Clarice running thru the woods training... that image kept popping in my mind until i was betting with myself and looked it up to confirm lol

• Hook 'Em 1