Jack Ryan S3 (Dec 21, 2022)

atomheartbevo

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

saw the ad on the Thursday night game.

guess if they do a season 4 Ryan is going to Taiwan to save them from a Chinese invasion.

then season 5 he will take on the Norks. 

The Red Dawn remake taught us that Chinese = never the bad guys

Norks = fuck them, they don't have movie theaters or Amazon

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

but it's clear they're doubling down on the absurdity,

So it definitely feels like a Tom Clancy Ryanverse story.

Will S4 or S5 see Jack serving as President, with Japan starting a war with us, complete with a Japanese airliner flying into the Capitol? (Or was that how Jack became President),

Really dumb and lazy. It may as well be a radio show since they mostly talk about things going on off screen. The Russians pushing into Ukraine. Intrigue in the Kremlin. There's maybe a nuke wandering out there or potentially getting ready to do so. 

On screen, you get dramatic music to small jets landing, cars driving in close formation, people walking around an office, and endless shots of people working keyboards and announcing something they've found out.

Yea, and who gives a fuck about missiles in the in the Czech Republic? 

Stupid and dull. Clancy's novels were shit with characters, but the action and plotting were usually excellent in the ones I read.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:12 PM, demos said:

Best portrayal of Jack Ryan is in Hunt for Red October.

That is all.

I was so disappointed when Alec was replaced by Harrison Ford in the subsequent films.  Because you're right, he was outstanding, and really consistent with the character in the novels, I thought.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This was the best of the three seasons. Sure, it’s preposterous but a real world spy show would be pretty boring AF. I was entertained.

Yeah, but is it still dumb?  The first season was incomprehensibly dumb and I couldn’t sustain the fantasy that real humans would make the decisions  demanded by the plot without some intellectual disadvantage.  Just terrible writing.  

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This was the best of the three seasons. Sure, it’s preposterous but a real world spy show would be pretty boring AF. I was entertained.

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've watched all three seasons and enjoyed them, but let's be honest, they could have named the character Jason Bourne and had as much resemblance to the book character

Should have been Jack Ryan Jr.

Solid season, and damn the production values were awesome - up there with the movies.

This is Dad TV at its near peak (along with their Reacher series).

• Like 3

Agreed season was really good. Binged it. I don't nitpick these kind of shows. Just enjoy them. 

Spoiler

But in the tunnel scene I scratched my head: why didn't two trucks stop halfway so the passengers could move from the loaded truck into the second truck to exit the tunnel? Then Jack wouldn't have had to go rescue them runnin on foot. Drama, action, I get it. Just saying I should be CIA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, Augustus said:

I was so disappointed when Alec was replaced by Harrison Ford in the subsequent films.  Because you're right, he was outstanding, and really consistent with the character in the novels, I thought.

Baldwin got an itchy trigger finger to try something different …

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

Bunk is no Greer, he is just Bunk. Jack Ryan still feels a little bit like Jim Halpert. Add in the Michael B Jordan "Without Remorse" abomination and I would say the Jack Ryan universe is a shit show.

Because of rights issues, we don’t get John Clark, hence the Without Remorse stuff (and they are working on a Rainbow 6 movie).

Would have been awesome to have this series have Matice doing the action/espionage stuff instead of Jack Ryan.

JKRY_101_.00_41_27_04.Still091.jpg

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Because of rights issues, we don’t get John Clark, hence the Without Remorse stuff (and they are working on a Rainbow 6 movie).

Would have been awesome to have this series have Matice doing the action/espionage stuff instead of Jack Ryan.

That would have been better. It just doesn't feel right seeing Jack become an actual operator.

On 12/26/2022 at 7:13 AM, demos said:

After actually paying attention to the first 3 episodes on rewatch, this season was better than season 2.

Whole season had like a bizarro Hunt for Red October vibe, especially towards the end.

When he got pushed into the ocean to transfer to the US naval vessel I was like that’s how he gets aboard the sub 30 years ago!

On 12/28/2022 at 4:37 PM, utxmike05 said:

Agreed season was really good. Binged it. I don't nitpick these kind of shows. Just enjoy them. 

Reveal hidden contents

But in the tunnel scene I scratched my head: why didn't two trucks stop halfway so the passengers could move from the loaded truck into the second truck to exit the tunnel? Then Jack wouldn't have had to go rescue them runnin on foot. Drama, action, I get it. Just saying I should be CIA. 

Spoiler

I also questioned the timing of the Russian fumbling for the headlights at the time he did, well into what Jack calls the LAST tunnel. 

Supposedly Michael Peña is going to be Ding Chavez. That’s horrible casting.

4 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Supposedly Michael Peña is going to be Ding Chavez. That’s horrible casting.

I'm very conflicted.  I've actually seen him do some decent tserious work in non-comedic/comic book movies/TV shows (Narcos: Mexico), but I can't shake his character from Ant-Man.

I would assume he'd drop the pudge.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it but I also never read the books. It’s just your typical action show.  Of course it’s embellished and outlandish, all action shows/movies are.  It’s great entertainment if you stop trying to nitpick every detail and just enjoy it for what it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

I needed subtitles, especially with all the Russian names and accents.  I didn't know who people were talking about half the time.

Some of the scenes were so dark I had to turn off all the lights in my house and some of my neighbor's lights, too.

It was OK, but kind of forgettable.  The flashbacks and the placement of the flashbacks, didn't really add much.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Spoiler on ending

Reveal hidden contents

Who and why did they whack the old guy at the very end? Was that the whole GRU thing at the park? You’d think the Russian Prez would love the guy for saving the world from wwiii.

I thought the exact same thing.  That didnt make any since. 

14 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Spoiler on ending

Hide contents

Who and why did they whack the old guy at the very end? Was that the whole GRU thing at the park? You’d think the Russian Prez would love the guy for saving the world from wwiii.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

I thought the exact same thing.  That didnt make any since. 

I took it as

Spoiler

He may have prevented WW3, but he still went and worked with the American CIA and is a liability to continue to do so.  Leaking from the Kremlin gets you killed or in a Siberian gulag.

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I took it as

Hide contents

He may have prevented WW3, but he still went and worked with the American CIA and is a liability to continue to do so.  Leaking from the Kremlin gets you killed or in a Siberian gulag.

Spoiler

He also oversaw the manufacture of a nuclear weapon that was transported into and detonated on Ukranian soil.

i know we don't really give a shit what milos zeman does on a daily basis but i really feel like the fact that the czech president was clandestinely running around muscovian tunnels with cia agents for a few days with virtually no contact with...ya know...the czech republic government or security apparatus would have been noteworthy.  maybe it's just me.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, sidis said:

i know we don't really give a shit what milos zeman does on a daily basis but i really feel like the fact that the czech president was clandestinely running around muscovian tunnels with cia agents for a few days with virtually no contact with...ya know...the czech republic government or security apparatus would have been noteworthy.  maybe it's just me.

Definitely not just you.  

And there was a really impressive, utter lack of security in those tunnels, to the point it was laughable.

Imagine running around in deserted tunnels beneath the white house, till you come to a door and then presto, you're inside the West Wing.

Edited by Augustus

23 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Definitely not just you.  

And there was a really impressive, utter lack of security in those tunnels, to the point it was laughable.

Imagine running around in deserted tunnels beneath the white house, till you come to a door and then presto, you're inside the West Wing.

murder_at_1600_photo_3-1369481652.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've watched all three seasons and enjoyed them, but let's be honest, they could have named the character Jason Bourne and had as much resemblance to the book character

I like how overnight, without any special training a la Bourne, guy who was “just” a normal marine officer, starts running and gunning with Special Forces.

Also as “smart” as an econ PhD is, he understands the diplomatic craft and sophistication to broker global relations directly with presidents and ministers. 

alec baldwin was never that much of an overt supersoldier  

• Hook 'Em 2