2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

This will be the biggest question on the collective mind of Cubs fans when Hot Stove season gets underway. Carlos Correa, Trea Turner, Xander Bogaerts and Dansby Swanson could all be on the open market this winter, and there is certainly a fit on the North Side. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I hope the Correa to Dodgers happens if only for Bill Plaschke’s reaction. 

Plaschke wrote last year that they should go after Correa.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2021-11-12/dodgers-corey-seager-carlos-correa-shortstop-free-agency-scott-boras

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

On the radio, Miller went out even further on a limb than he had in his first story. Judge will sign with the Giants by December, he predicted, in a deal that could climb to eight years, $320 million. And oh by the way, Anthony Rizzo and Trea Turner could join him. This all seems outrageous, but the Judge chase is the best entertainment Giants fans have had in over a year.

Sounds kind of fanfictiony

The Kansas City Royals hired Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Matt Quatraro as manager Sunday, turning over the young core of a rebuilding franchise to a forward-thinking manager with experience winning in a small market.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34913163/sources-royals-hire-rays-bench-coach-matt-quatraro-manager

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pedro Grifol is expected to be the next manager of the Chicago White Sox, an announcement that could come later this week, according to multiple sources.

Grifol, 52, has been on the staff of the Kansas City Royals since 2013, most recently as the bench coach. The Royals interviewed him recently for their managerial opening but hired Tampa Bay Rays bench coach Matt Quatraro to fill that spot.

Grifol's bench coach would likely be former Toronto Blue Jays manager Charlie Montoyo, a source told ESPN's Jesse Rogers. The source added that Grifol would like to retain pitching coach Ethan Katz, but would be in the market for a new hitting coach. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34924320/sources-white-sox-hire-royals-pedro-grifol-manager

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

People paid money to be able to read that list?

Postseason performance history must be heavily weighted in that ranking.  There are a lot of other factors that reduce Judge's value as a free agent as well.  His age and injury history combined with body type and how those things impact his most valuable skill set (power) all have to be considered.  Valuing a free agent isn't all about "ZOMG who had the best season this year?!"

True. Correa has no injury history at all or an unideal body type for his position. 

This is Sportscenter is maybe the best thing ESPN ever did. All those commercials still hold up 15-20 years later. I always loved the one where Steve Irwin wrestles the Florida gator mascot, RIP.

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

True. Correa has no injury history at all or an unideal body type for his position. 

This is Sportscenter is maybe the best thing ESPN ever did. All those commercials still hold up 15-20 years later. I always loved the one where Steve Irwin wrestles the Florida gator mascot, RIP.

Not saying it's a great list, but Correa is three years younger and has a proven track record of success in the postseason.  Same factors for Swanson and Turner.  I can see why they jump Judge in the rankings.  

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Not saying it's a great list, but Correa is three years younger and has a proven track record of success in the postseason.  Same factors for Swanson and Turner.  I can see why they jump Judge in the rankings.  

Correa career postseason OPS = .849

Judge career postseason OPS = .772

Not exactly the giant chasm you portray. Also Judge bests both Swanson & Turner (by a big margin in that case) in that category.

Edited by Helobious

Correa's numbers are sustained over more than twice as many postseason games, so the performance difference becomes more pronounced.  I concede that Turner and Swanson don't have significant advantages in postseason performance over Judge solely based on stats,  but they each have a ring, and there is some value in having already cleared that hump once in a career.

playercomp.thumb.png.702b30edadb8ffa85d409b11516078fe.png

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Postseason performance history must be heavily weighted in that ranking.  There are a lot of other factors that reduce Judge's value as a free agent as well.  His age and injury history combined with body type and how those things impact his most valuable skill set (power) all have to be considered.  Valuing a free agent isn't all about "ZOMG who had the best season this year?!"

clubhouse leadership is huge for teams on the edge of wildcard / winning the division 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Helobious said:

Who knew Tampa Bay’s mascot would be the one?

• Haha 1

Speaking of Bo...

Jackson threw down his bat, walked toward Seitzer (“With fire in his eyes,” Hearn recalled), grabbed him around the throat with his left hand and shoved his head against the concrete wall. No one with the Royals had witnessed this fast of a Bo metamorphosis. Within seconds Seitzer’s eyes rolled back.

“Look, you picked the wrong motherfucker to fuck with on the wrong day!” Jackson screamed. “As long as you’re breathing air, don’t you ever talk to me like that again! Motherfucker, I will break your neck!”

https://deadspin.com/that-time-bo-jackson-tried-to-kill-kevin-seitzer-1849715204?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=dlvrit&utm_content=deadspin

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I was pissed when the Royals trade Seitzer away but this makes it somewhat understandable. Pre internet I didn’t know That Seitzer was such a jerk. 

Bo did not, however, respect Seitzer. “He’s one of the biggest ass-lickers we’ve got on the team,” Jackson said. “He always puts his two cents in. And guys are like, ‘Will you shut the fuck up?’ ”

hahaha reading the article, seitzer sounds like an annoying douche. horrible clubhouse guy

• Like 1