2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Shohei DH’d after TJ.  I doubt Harper misses much time.  

Ohtani had his surgery on October 1, 2019 and didn’t take an official AB until July 24. Harper is getting his surgery almost 2 months later in the calendar so a similar timeline indicates a missed season. 

I look forward to them becoming a Rangers affiliate in the next few years.  And then an Astros. And then a Rangers. And then an Astros and so on and so forth.  Nolan Ryan has made a lot of money playing the 2 franchises against each other.

Edited by kevwun

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I look forward to them becoming a Rangers affiliate in the next few years.  And then an Astros. And then a Rangers. And then an Astros and so on and so forth.  Nolan Ryan has made a lot of money playing the 2 franchises against each other.

Hard to imagine that as long as Crane owns the Astros

(and/or the Astros own teams in Sugarland and Corpus)

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Not any more, with Frisco and Corpus hanging around.

Yankees & Mets being investigated for collusion.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/17/aaron-judge-free-agency-mets-yankees-tampering

Side note: If you Google "Yankees Mets collusion" it will try to give you results for Yankees Mets collision which brings up some hilarious articles from May and June looking forward to the inevitable October matchup in the WS.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yankees & Mets being investigated for collusion.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/11/17/aaron-judge-free-agency-mets-yankees-tampering

Side note: If you Google "Yankees Mets collusion" it will try to give you results for Yankees Mets collision which brings up some hilarious articles from May and June looking forward to the inevitable October matchup in the WS.

Yep that will definitely be a thorough investigation. Manfred already said he's sure what the conclusion will be. Publicly. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep that will definitely be a thorough investigation. Manfred already said he's sure what the conclusion will be. Publicly. 

Oh, I am fully aware of all of that, but MLB would do well to take this seriously.  MLBPA seems to be, and a grievance for CBA violation will likely be filed.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The incredible thing is that the owners were the ones who demanded the no-collusion rule in the CBA (from back in the Koufax-Drysdale days) but they're the only people who have had trouble following the rule.

I've always wondered about it from the player side when it seems like all of mlb are represented by about 4 agents.

Yankees have made a new offer for Judge. Looks like Hal might be willing to spend big this offseason 

Even with some form of record payday likely looming for Judge — MLBTR predicted an eight-year, $332MM contract on last week’s Top 50 rankings — Steinbrenner went on to note that he’s made clear to Judge that there’s ample payroll space to not only re-sign the recently crowned AL MVP but also make further additions to supplement the roster (via Lennon).

Even without Judge, the Yankees are projected for a bottom-line payroll north of $206MM, per Roster Resource, and a luxury-tax bill that’s already at nearly $223MM. Judge alone would push the Yankees into the second tier of luxury penalization, and any subsequent moves of note would then likely push the team into the third or possibly even newly created fourth tier of luxury penalties. Of course, those figures assume that the Yankees will tender contracts to and subsequently keep all 14 of their arbitration-eligible players, which seems unlikely. At least some of that group figures to be non-tendered before tonight’s 8pm ET deadline or tendered but subsequently trad

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, kevwun said:

I know.  I would be very pissed if the Astros ever left Corpus.  I love that field.

If and when the new harbor bridge is ever finished (a really big if right now) then Whataburger Field will lose some of its charm in my opinion without the bridge in the background and its lights.