2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

@Helobious

• Gary Sánchez’s agent, Francisco Marquez, has made a presentation to teams pointing out that the catcher’s exit velocities last season compared well to those of Contreras and Vázquez, and that his expected slugging percentage and weighted on-base average were significantly higher than his actual numbers.

“The most important aspect of the 2022 season was that at the end of the season Gary was able to finally and completely shake off the emotional baggage he had acquired during his previous two seasons with the Yankees,” Marquez said. “Whoever gets Gary this offseason will benefit from the rebirth of the Kraken.”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

As a nearly lifelong Giants fan, this all ends with the Giants signing Brandon Nimmo.

Depending on the number that’s probably a win. I think I’d rather owe Nimmo 5/120 than judge 9/360. 5/120 might be light for Nimmo but that seemed to be about where the consensus estimate had him before the start of the offseason. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

If anyone got emotional damage it was me from watching him trying to play the catcher position. I defended him forever but even I couldn’t take it anymore.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

You can accurately recreate Gary Sanchez catching by using a turkey on your hand instead of a mitt.

To paraphrase Bill James, Gary Sanchez is to catching what Thurman Munson was to aviation.

• Haha 5