2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Could Ohtani be traded mid season? If the Angels know he's not going to sign a new deal with them, they could trade him for quite a bunch of prospects if the receiving team can extend him. They could use it to rebuild, since they are stuck in mediocrity. 

Unless Ohtani’s agent is brain dead, there is no way that he won’t become a free agent and enter the auction frenzy. Some contending team might trade for him for a playoff push with the side benefit of getting a head start on the discussions. But he’s not signing an extension before exploring the market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Could Ohtani be traded mid season? If the Angels know he's not going to sign a new deal with them, they could trade him for quite a bunch of prospects if the receiving team can extend him. They could use it to rebuild, since they are stuck in mediocrity. 

He could get traded. He’s probably worth a top 50 prospect and a couple other organizational type top 20 guys at the deadline I’d guess. 
thought experiment- what would you be willing to give up for him for 2 months and a playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That would be something if MLB blew right by 500M and went straight to 600M. 
My initial guess was 10/500 for him. I guess I’d be surprised but not absolutely shocked if he got 600M. 

I think the number starts at half a billion and 10 years. He's not signing for anywhere close to that though.

He's only 29 next year and is the best player in the game who is both one of the best pitchers and hitters in the game. You could sign him for 15 years and still be getting value out of him - remember JV won the Cy Young this year at 39 and just signed for $43 million a year for his age 40 and 41 seasons.

Plenty of guys are productive designated hitters well into their late 30s/early 40s. David Ortiz put up massive numbers his last year of his career (yes I know about the doping). 

Imagine a 29 year old JV and a 29 year old Big Papi entering the market next year. Now realize that Ohtani is both of those guys in a single player. He's going to get a number we can't comprehend right now. Think something like 12/720 kind of numbers. 

46 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Angels suck and they SHOULD trade him for a massive prospect haul to start to rebuild their franchise and farm system. They should have traded him this year when he'd be more valuable, but this isn't the best run franchise we're talking about. 

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think the number starts at half a billion and 10 years. He's not signing for anywhere close to that though.

He's only 29 next year and is the best player in the game who is both one of the best pitchers and hitters in the game. You could sign him for 15 years and still be getting value out of him - remember JV won the Cy Young this year at 39 and just signed for $43 million a year for his age 40 and 41 seasons.

Plenty of guys are productive designated hitters well into their late 30s/early 40s. David Ortiz put up massive numbers his last year of his career (yes I know about the doping). 

Imagine a 29 year old JV and a 29 year old Big Papi entering the market next year. Now realize that Ohtani is both of those guys in a single player. He's going to get a number we can't comprehend right now. Think something like 12/720 kind of numbers. 

The Angels suck and they SHOULD trade him for a massive prospect haul to start to rebuild their franchise and farm system. They should have traded him this year when he'd be more valuable, but this isn't the best run franchise we're talking about. 

The fascinating thing is what’s the discount rate for the risk with losing 1 huy and actually losing two. I don’t see how you can pay him his combined value as a hitter and pitcher. There has to be a discount there I just have no idea how you get to an acceptable risk calculation with something so historically rare. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The fascinating thing is what’s the discount rate for the risk with losing 1 huy and actually losing two. I don’t see how you can pay him his combined value as a hitter and pitcher. There has to be a discount there I just have no idea how you get to an acceptable risk calculation with something so historically rare. 

The $60 million AAV includes the discount. But that's just my guess. 

The Mets have $67 million coming off their payroll after next year...

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Narvaez to Mets

that money would have been better spent on an arm. i guess the plan on moving mccann or nido. good luck dumping mccann and his 2 years / 25 mil. 

The soon-to-be 31-year-old Narvaez joins James McCann and Tomas Nido as Mets catchers under contract, along with the club’s top prospect, 21-year-old Francisco Alvarez, who is expected to push for playing time in 2023 after making his MLB debut late last season. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

hmmm

FkG2NJ5WIAA0g0w?format=jpg&name=large

27m AAV for a 30 year old pitcher who had a >3 ERA for the last 2 seasons is not bad. That is a great deal if he can keep up about the same production, while starting 30 games a year. It's a big IF, but a worthwhile chance to take. I'd be happy with that if I was a Yankees fan, there's not much better you could have done.  

The Yankees’ signing of Carlos Rodón was the fourth of at least $162 million Scott Boras negotiated in a span of eight days, bringing the agent’s total for the offseason to $1.172 billion. At the standard 5 percent commission, Boras’ firm on those deals alone will collect $58.6 million.

Boras’ super-power is his ability to lock in on teams that are near-desperate and/or eager to spend. The Padres invested $285 million in Xander Bogaerts after striking out on Trea Turner and Aaron Judge. The Giants went to $350 million on Carlos Correa after striking out on Judge and Kodai Senga.

In several of Boras’ deals, it’s not clear if the next-highest bid was even close. The Twins, for example, were outbid by $65 million for Correa. Was another team within a similar range for Bogaerts? For Rodón? For Masataka Yoshida?

“We have discussed his playbook during MLB meetings, but the owners all think the sucker is the other guy, when often, it is him. Me included,” said former Marlins team president David Samson, who signed a Boras client, left-hander Wei-Yin Chen, to a five-year, $80 million contract in 2016.

The Marlins’ current ownership released Chen with one year left on the deal. In four seasons with the club, Chen dealt with injuries and inconsistencies, going 13-19 with a 5.10 ERA.

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Ranger fans as smart as Rangers front office when it comes to making deals

Yeah no idea what he was thinking here. $3mill was way more than anyone thought he would get. Have to cash in when the moment is hot. The hype/buzz is long gone. But from what I read, this dude was already very rich. He will be fine.