2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

Giants probably don't care. I am sure they were having buyer's remorse so they made some shit up to not sign him. They probably thought they could get rodon back and once that didn't happen they were gonna be paying CC when they aren't going anywhere. They don't have the players.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow, Verlander and Correa back together in NY! Good for them, I'm gonna be rooting for them to come out of the NL next year. I really liked Lindor when he was on the Indians too, so I'll loosely follow the Mets next season. It would be awesome to see the Astros and Mets in the World Series next year, that would be a fun rivalry to start going for the next few years. Maybe Houston can get both New York teams to hate them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Wow, Verlander and Correa back together in NY! Good for them, I'm gonna be rooting for them to come out of the NL next year. I really liked Lindor when he was on the Indians too, so I'll loosely follow the Mets next season. It would be awesome to see the Astros and Mets in the World Series next year, that would be a fun rivalry to start going for the next few years. Maybe Houston can get both New York teams to hate them. 

What Is Wrong With You Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

What Is Wrong With You Season 4 GIF by The Office

The Mets are the best World Series opponent possible, they are the Buffalo Bills of the MLB. They never win, are constantly cursed, and everyone will get a kick out of that ridiculous payroll losing again. But out of all the NL teams, they are one of the least unlikeable ones. 

9 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Mets are the best World Series opponent possible, they are the Buffalo Bills of the MLB. They never win, are constantly cursed, and everyone will get a kick out of that ridiculous payroll losing again. But out of all the NL teams, they are one of the least unlikeable ones

You are under 40, I'm guessing.

• Hook 'Em 3

If Correa's deal is completed, the team's estimated payroll will be around $384 million. Based on that number, the Mets would owe an additional $111 million in luxury-tax payments.

And they still have Mark Canha starting in LF.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 1

Eight days after Carlos Correa tentatively agreed with the San Francisco Giants on a 13-year, $350 million free-agent contract, his agent, Scott Boras, told the team he could wait no longer.

“We reached an agreement. We had a letter of agreement. We gave them a time frame to execute it,” Boras said. “They advised us they still had questions. They still wanted to talk to other people, other doctors, go through it

“I said, ‘Look, I’ve given you a reasonable time. We need to move forward on this. Give me a time frame. If you’re not going to execute, I need to go talk with other teams.”

The most significant physical problems Correa endured were earlier in his career. He has well-documented back issues that led to stints on the injured list in both 2018 and 2019, and suffered a season-ending leg injury in June 2014, while he was 19 and still in the minor leagues.

The leg injury occurred when Correa was on the verge of a promotion to Double A with the Astros. Correa hit an RBI triple and his spike got stuck on the bag. The initial report was that the issue was with his ankle. But it turned out Correa required arthroscopic surgery to repair a fractured right fibula and minor ligament damage. He has not been on the injured list for a lower right-leg issue since.

As for Correa’s back, whispers surfaced last offseason, during his first go-round in free agency, that he was not fully healthy. Correa hired Boras last January, and Boras had him visit Dr. Robert Watkins, whose website describes him as the “top spine surgeon for professional athletes in the world.” Both Correa and Boras told The Athletic in April Watkins gave the player a clean bill of health, and Boras conveyed that information to clubs.

“We did a detailed medical review of Carlos’ past and present medical records and arranged a battery of physician exams,” Boras said. “The findings confirmed a very elite and healthy player and dismissed any rumored concerns.”

Added Correa, “(Watkins) said, ‘This dude is as stable, as healthy as he can be.’ Hearing that from the best back doctor in the world, it was reassuring. I knew that already because I’ve been feeling great. But to get that expert opinion, after an MRI and the work I’ve been putting in …

“This is what I tell people. There’s no way you can go out and win a Platinum Glove if your back is not right. There’s no way you can put up an .850 OPS if your back is not right against the elite pitching we’re facing nowadays. There’s no way you play 148 games — and I could have played more, but the COVID IL got me — if your back’s not right. There’s no way you sign a $105 million deal for three years, go through physicals for insurance and for the team if it’s not right.”

• Hook 'Em 1