2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

This is not on the GM, imo. This is on Farhan and the ownership. 

Yeah, probably should have said ownership/management vs just the GM. Putila was brought over from the Astros largely because of his connection to Correa. He knew the details of Correa’s health as much as anyone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

300 million?  But the Giants original deal with CC was 350. Judge just got 360. Lindor did get 341 a couple years ago from the Mets.  I don't see how that's all Cohen's fault.  

I think he is talking about yearly payroll.  Was watching Hot Stove and they mentioned that the luxury tax is going to be higher than the payrolls of 7 MLB teams.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I got 15 from spotrac, which my go-to for all things payroll related  

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

The numbers on that site only count long-term contracts.  If you click on one of those teams, like the Red Sox, it only has them paying 11 players.

Edited by Beau Vine
verbs is hard

17 hours ago, WBT said:

He's fine.  Giants had 2nd thoughts about actually spending some money to compete with the Dodgers.

image.png.70d277320fc6599fe74639c19b55e4c6.png

Everyone who questioned SF owes that front office an apology.

12 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Did they repair his leg with duct tape or something, this is the strangest deal and just gets stranger.

about the length of the contract IMHO. it's not that he can't play the next few years but that he's not going to be able to play the entire 12-13 year contracts he's been getting.

Expensive slide by Correa. I assume that a contract can’t have an out clause for an injury otherwise teams would frequently be adding them. The players association wouldn’t allow that.

Feels negligent on Boras’ part that he keeps getting large offers for Correa only to have the team pull back after the physical. You would think team Correa would share the physical exam details during negotiations to get all the cards on the table early. Now there are fewer signing options for him and how can other teams not be scared off.

Maybe we are now understanding why the Astros never offered the long term deal that Correa wanted.

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Expensive slide by Correa. I assume that a contract can’t have an out clause for an injury otherwise teams would frequently be adding them. The players association wouldn’t allow that

Teams can use incentive-heavy contracts to address injury risk. Small base but with additional payments at various benchmarks based on number of plate appearances or number of days spent on the IL would be a couple of ways.  

Edited by TonyTexas

42 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Teams can use incentive-heavy contracts to address injury risk. Small base but with additional payments at various benchmarks based on number of plate appearances or number of days spent on the IL would be a couple of ways.  

Makes sense which the agent will fight tooth and nail to keep the money in the salary.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Expensive slide by Correa. I assume that a contract can’t have an out clause for an injury otherwise teams would frequently be adding them. The players association wouldn’t allow that.

Feels negligent on Boras’ part that he keeps getting large offers for Correa only to have the team pull back after the physical. You would think team Correa would share the physical exam details during negotiations to get all the cards on the table early. Now there are fewer signing options for him and how can other teams not be scared off.

Maybe we are now understanding why the Astros never offered the long term deal that Correa wanted.

I've been wondering if this fiasco is going to take some of the shine off of Boras. He's going to come away with mud on his face if he can't get a deal closed at terms substantially similar to what was already agreed to. I'm happy with where the Astros have ended up on their side of the deal last off-season, but I wonder if buyer's remorse has set in on the Team Correa side for not taking the deal that was offered.

10 hours ago, Mstrat said:

Maybe instead of taxing teams that go over the luxury tax (Mets) repeatedly is to revoke their first round draft picks the following year on first consecutive year violation. The more consecutive years you break, the more draft picks you forfeit.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Why?

Exactly. If a billionaire owner want to burn their $, who are we to stop them.

In reality, the luxury tax should have to go straight to salaries and not to line the cheap owners.

I would support that rule change. The $ gets segregated and must be spent on players salaries within a given time period.

Then it’s a diminishing return.

If you spend all this $ but then the other teams get the tax $ to spend or better players too….

See?

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
I repeatedly disagreed with the MLBPA’s emphasis on raising the CBT levels rather prioritizing a minimum payroll floor. It sure seems to me that would have raised the total league payroll amount more as well as giving the added benefit of increasing the competitive balance. 

I would agree that it would have been better, but modifications to a CBA are much much much simpler to negotiate than additions or deletions.  The CBT is the dumbest thing the PA ever agreed to, because now they cannot get rid of it, and that's what the floor would be for the owners.

Hell, I'm reading Curt Flood's biography right now, and apparently in 1968, when a CBA was being negotiated before the lawsuit, Jim Bouton asked the owners' lawyer if the players could be declared free agents "at Social Security eligible age (65)."  

The lawyer told Bouton no way, "because that would let you get your foot in the door."

Besides, for a salary floor to pass, you would need at least two of the following to vote for it:

KC

Pittsburgh

Tampa

Oakland

Cincinnati

Milwaukee

Minnesota

Arizona

Jerry Reinsdorf

...and there's no way that would happen.  

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What is Carlos thinking here? The cats out of the bag here and it appears his theory is that there is one team out there who will ignore the X-rays.

This is the second offseason that has not exactly gone his way.

9 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

What is Carlos thinking here? The cats out of the bag here and it appears his theory is that there is one team out there who will ignore the X-rays.

This is the second offseason that has not exactly gone his way.

Is the leg thing correctable? Hindsight  is 20-20, but he should have opted into the second year with the Twins and had surgery. 

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is the leg thing correctable? Hindsight  is 20-20, but he should have opted into the second year with the Twins and had surgery. 

No idea but he’s definitely viewed as “damaged goods” and will need to take a discount either in years or AAV.