2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

I still think Ohtani is traded midseason. He will fetch some good prospects, and help them build up the farm system. They have to know by now that he isn't staying in Anaheim to waste his career. The Angels should be going into rebuild mode, they are stuck as a treadmill team. Sell Trout to the highest bidder too, and go full bore into tankmode. 

I bet Ohtani ends up with the Giants or Dodgers and gets 50m a year for 12 years. Dude has a ton of hype around him, and the jersey and merch sales he brings will help lessen the overall cost for a big market team. But still, that's like 1/6th of your teams salary cap that fills one of your 6 starting pitcher roles, and the DH. 

8 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I still think Ohtani is traded midseason. He will fetch some good prospects, and help them build up the farm system. They have to know by now that he isn't staying in Anaheim to waste his career. The Angels should be going into rebuild mode, they are stuck as a treadmill team. Sell Trout to the highest bidder too, and go full bore into tankmode. 

I bet Ohtani ends up with the Giants or Dodgers and gets 50m a year for 12 years. Dude has a ton of hype around him, and the jersey and merch sales he brings will help lessen the overall cost for a big market team. But still, that's like 1/6th of your teams salary cap that fills one of your 6 starting pitcher roles, and the DH. 

Better value for Ohtani at the deadline or before the season? I’d say now because the team trading for him will have him for at least one season, and have months to build a relationship. 

But yeah, Moreno is on a little unhinged and he’ll hold on to him until the Angels are absolutely out of it. Probably cost them a couple to prospects in the process. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Angels. 

I’m happy to see the Red Sox in hot pursuit of dumb ass contracts. They just spent $419 million dollars (Devers + Yoshida) to finish last in their division. 

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Better value for Ohtani at the deadline or before the season? I’d say now because the team trading for him will have him for at least one season, and have months to build a relationship. 

But yeah, Moreno is on a little unhinged and he’ll hold on to him until the Angels are absolutely out of it. Probably cost them a couple to prospects in the process. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Angels. 

I’m happy to see the Red Sox in hot pursuit of dumb ass contracts. They just spent $419 million dollars (Devers + Yoshida) to finish last in their division. 

Yeah I agree, the sooner you trade him the better return. Any team acquiring him will only pay top dollar if they can secure the extension. Letting him hit free agency after a 1 year rental isn't worth sending multiple top prospects. I think the Angels need to allow extension negotiation to occur to get the most out of him. 

The other problem with trading him midseason is that half his value is at DH, and big spender type teams that would be willing to get him typically have that role filled before the season starts. DH is the easiest position to fill on the roster, and it's often used as a flex spot for guys with minor injuries that don't want to go on the DL. With Ohtani, you can't free up that spot since he doesn't play in the field, and with the new rule change, you only free up that spot while he's pitching for ~6 innings every 5-6 games.

It's a bit of an odd puzzle to solve because he doesn't seem to have the ability to go play right field, or at least hasn't demonstrated that he can. Even if he did, that's a lot to ask of one guy, play RF for 4-5 games, then be the starting pitcher 1 game, DH after he finishes pitching in that game and repeat this cycle. That sounds like too much work, and it may jeopardize his health by overworking him, but if he could pull that off it would make him so much more valuable. 

So your trade partner would have to need both a starting pitcher and DH spot to fill, but also have the depth of another batter to fill in DH while he's pitching. And if he does get injured, you now need 2 guys to replace him, which means you gotta have some good depth to lean on. So I think the Angels need to make that trade now so the receiving team can shuffle their roster and adjust to Ohtani, which likely won't be able to happen at the trade deadline. 

5 hours ago, WBT said:

I hope his next team puts him in the outfield more. He played it a lot in Japan and has done it a little bit over here. Obviously he has the speed and arm strength to be good.

They weren't paying $40M a year in Japan.  No way anyone takes that risk now.

So, the Rays are going to build their new ballpark... right at the site of their old ballpark.  The one that didn't work b/c it was a bunch of traffic and located 45 minutes away from where most of their fans are (allegedly). But this time it will be different b/c there will be some low income houses and a museum as part of the project. 

I don't get why they don't build it in Tampa.  Or Montreal.  Or Nashville. Or the research triangle. Or pretty much anywhere other than the spot that they just failed at for the last 25 or so years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Pena, a cheater? That's a far reach but hey wonder what mlb will try this year to help the Yankees advance to the world series

At some point it’s like calling someone that plays for Boston a segregationist or something like that. 
my buddy had a bumper sticker of Calvin pissing on Jane Fonda. I was like wtf dude?  He explained to me all the ways she sucked and then called her Hanoi Jane. I was like cool cool- you know it’s 2007 not 1972 and this isn’t exactly topical, right?  
Was really weird. And dumb. Like most of what Helo says. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, the Rays are going to build their new ballpark... right at the site of their old ballpark.  The one that didn't work b/c it was a bunch of traffic and located 45 minutes away from where most of their fans are (allegedly). But this time it will be different b/c there will be some low income houses and a museum as part of the project. 

I don't get why they don't build it in Tampa.  Or Montreal.  Or Nashville. Or the research triangle. Or pretty much anywhere other than the spot that they just failed at for the last 25 or so years. 

my fave stadium and Astros road trip 

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I assumed he was talking about Yordan or Altuve who are both proven cheaters. Didn’t know Peña won any postseason awards. 

Yordan, the guy the Dodgers traded to the Astros in 2016, and didn't even play in the MLB until 2019, was cheating in 2017? 

Cross-eyed.gif

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yordan, the guy the Dodgers traded to the Astros in 2016, and didn't even play in the MLB until 2019, was cheating in 2017? 

Cross-eyed.gif

It was still going on in 2019. But it probably didn’t help Yordan since he still sucked back then. 

• Fuck You 1

Also mlb found astros weren't stealing signs in 2018 post season or 2019 season. As always don't let facts get in the way of your narrative. Stay hush hush on Yankees doing the same thing in 2017 and mlb juicing baseballs for them all of 2022 season and playoffs. 04a2ce5eb152cd2c8b9ebc7dc8498f6f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Now do the 2019 ALCS & 2021 world series

Oh- he had a couple bad playoff series. That’s weird. That never happens to anyone. What’s Judges post season numbers again. 
What you really should be doing is talking shit about his 2020 season. He did nothing helpful there. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Oh- he had a couple bad playoff series. That’s weird. That never happens to anyone. What’s Judges post season numbers again. 
What you really should be doing is talking shit about his 2020 season. He did nothing helpful there. 

Judge has 198 postseason PAs and Yordan has 195 so they’re almost exactly comparable. Judge has him beat in SLG and has hit over twice as many homers, 25 walks and 66 Ks to 26 walks and 54 Ks. Judge also has more total bases. Yordan has a higher OPS. Not sure where you get the idea Yordan has just been worlds better than Judge.

Your original comment was Yordan sucked in 2019 and he was using sign stealing. Both of your comments are factually incorrect. Stop trying to cherry pick . Judge and Yordan might be close Stat wise in playoffs. Yordan has been far more clutch when it counted in post season. The Alcs trophies,alcs mvp trophy and World Series ring out front should have told ya that

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Yordan has been far more clutch when it counted in post season. The Alcs trophies,alcs mvp trophy and World Series ring out front should have told ya that

The numbers don’t agree with you at all. That’s championship WPA since I’m sure you don’t understand what advanced metrics are.

D0E65C4A-DCAD-4D6D-BD72-4E7464673886.jpeg.80b7e6a5b759020680b1e9d28e061a3e.jpeg

Helo on his dumb shit again.

Do postseason cWPA. Yordan destroys Judge.

Its also added up for all appearances, so of course Judges will be higher in regular season overall because he has played like 3 more years dummy.

Yordan is 15% in postseason with less series than Judge

Judge is 1.9%. 1 point fucking 9.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

We’ve gone from “Yordan is a known cheater” to “Yordan still sucked in 2019” to “Yordan sucked in a few selected postseason ABs in 2019 and 2021” in a flash. That’s some impressive goalpost movement, especially since the whole conversation was originally about Jeremy Pena. 

Yordan turned me into a newt!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

The numbers don’t agree with you at all. That’s championship WPA since I’m sure you don’t understand what advanced metrics are.

D0E65C4A-DCAD-4D6D-BD72-4E7464673886.jpeg.80b7e6a5b759020680b1e9d28e061a3e.jpeg

Mike Trout has a 22 cWPA, double that of Judge's, yet they both have one less championship (0) than Yordan Alvarez (1) and zero World Series appearances. Can you explain why? Show your work.

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

We’ve gone from “Yordan is a known cheater” to “Yordan still sucked in 2019” to “Yordan sucked in a few selected postseason ABs in 2019 and 2021” in a flash. That’s some impressive goalpost movement, especially since the whole conversation was originally about Jeremy Pena. 

I remember him being an automatic out in the 2019 ALCS. I assumed he was that way for the entire season but I guess not. 

Point is no Astro will ever be on the cover of The Show again. Too much negative connatation and they’re probably the most hated team in the game right now. And not in a “oh we just hate them cause they’re good” way either.

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I remember him being an automatic out in the 2019 ALCS. I assumed he was that way for the entire season but I guess not. 

He was off in the playoffs that year but he had an historically good rookie season.

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Point is no Astro will ever be on the cover of The Show again. Too much negative connatation and they’re probably the most hated team in the game right now. And not in a “oh we just hate them cause they’re good” way either.

At some point the sensationalized hysteria around sign stealing will die off and be placed in its proper perspective, the Astros won’t be in the WS every year, and (mostly) nobody will hate them anymore. All that is to say, “never” is a hell of a long time.

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Altuve is coming for Hack Wilson!

People start shrinking in their thirties so Altuve could get Freddie Patek’s spot as well. Hell, if he plays long enough, Wee Willie Keller isn’t out of reach. But I hope not because Wee is one of the great baseball nicknames.