2022-23 MLB offseason thread

shadow_operative

53 minutes ago, wood said:

I hate this stupid rule so fucking much.

This. That was 20 seconds the batter could’ve spent adjusting his batting gloves or the pitcher could’ve spent walking around the mound. Instead actual baseball happened. Total bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This. That was 20 seconds the batter could’ve spent adjusting his batting gloves or the pitcher could’ve spent walking around the mound. Instead actual baseball happened. Total bullshit.

You took time out from yanking it to Judge videos? Cool, cool, cool.

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Heading out to Arizona in a week and a half for some spring training baseball! Haven't been in nearly a decade. Have any of yall been this year or in recent years? Heads up on things I should expect?

2017 was the last year I've gone and I couldn't believe how expensive tickets were.  Angels tickets were $35 for outfield and $50 for infield, IIRC.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

2017 was the last year I've gone and I couldn't believe how expensive tickets were.  Angels tickets were $35 for outfield and $50 for infield, IIRC.

Goddamn! My dad and I walked up to the ballpark in Surprise and got 2nd row behind the dugout for less than $20. Thanks for the heads up

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Goddamn! My dad and I walked up to the ballpark in Surprise and got 2nd row behind the dugout for less than $20. Thanks for the heads up

Yeah, A's tickets were like $7 then, but there was a lot of variability by park.  Cubs tickets were worse than Angels.  Edit: Jesus Christ!

image.png.21604b06616aa1d92f77546a387cadb7.png

Edited by Beau Vine

Heading out to Arizona in a week and a half for some spring training baseball! Haven't been in nearly a decade. Have any of yall been this year or in recent years? Heads up on things I should expect?
You will be there during the WBC?

I would at least hit up a USA game....they have the night games every game

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

92 is much harder than he has been throwing the last few seasons.  He’s been losing 1-2 mph on his fastball each year going back awhile.

Yes to the first part, but I disagree with the second part. He's been averaging 88 to 89 on sinkers and fastballs since 2019. 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:12 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Baseball was never meant to be a sprint.

Then why were games 2 hours long for decades? The clock is a great rule because it holds umpires accountable. There was a rule requiring pitchers to pitch within 12 seconds of the batter being ready that was never enforced. If you need 30 seconds to review the situation then you're too dumb to play (and that's saying a lot because often times dummies make great baseball players).

The clock rule is great. The shift rule is the dumb one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Then why were games 2 hours long for decades? The clock is a great rule because it holds umpires accountable. There was a rule requiring pitchers to pitch within 12 seconds of the batter being ready that was never enforced. If you need 30 seconds to review the situation then you're too dumb to play (and that's saying a lot because often times dummies make great baseball players).

The clock rule is great. The shift rule is the dumb one.

I think I’m going to like the shift rule just fine. Takes baseball back to the way it was when we were growing up and a ball smoked up the middle was a hit. There are rules in football and basketball for alignment it’s not absurd for baseball imo. It’s an entertainment business- I think getting more bats on balls and base hits will add to most peoples enjoyment. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think I’m going to like the shift rule just fine. Takes baseball back to the way it was when we were growing up and a ball smoked up the middle was a hit. There are rules in football and basketball for alignment it’s not absurd for baseball imo. It’s an entertainment business- I think getting more bats on balls and base hits will add to most peoples enjoyment. 

Except it probably won't accomplish what you want. The reaction to the rule from hitters was "sweet I can continue with my three true outcomes approach." Far likelier is that there's a temporary jump in averages but the trendline toward more HRs, BBs, and Ks continues unabated. And the 2023 rule does nothing to ensure hot shots up the middle are hits. The shortstop will be one inch from directly up the middle and will take a step toward the second baseman on the pitch.

If you want more bats on balls then make that skill more valuable. Simultaneously lowering the seams and deadening the ball is the only certain solution. But that will never happen. 

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Except it probably won't accomplish what you want. The reaction to the rule from hitters was "sweet I can continue with my three true outcomes approach." Far likelier is that there's a temporary jump in averages but the trendline toward more HRs, BBs, and Ks continues unabated. And the 2023 rule does nothing to ensure hot shots up the middle are hits. The shortstop will be one inch from directly up the middle and will take a step toward the second baseman on the pitch.

If you want more bats on balls then make that skill more valuable. Simultaneously lowering the seams and deadening the ball is the only certain solution. But that will never happen. 

I thought there was an entire wedge behind 2nd base they weren't allowed in.  We've had no Astros spring training games on TV other than when I was having surgery and I haven't seen the rule play out.  

No- nobody wants dead balls and lower seams I don't think.  I guess all I can say is there have been what- 2 famous shifts in the history of the game (Williams and McCovey) and beyond that it never happened before 2011 more or less- so I'm fine with the game returning to the old way it was played. If the rule proves too gimmicky or doesn't accomplish what they want they can get rid of it easy enough.  

I wouldn't say nobody. I would greatly prefer it. You want baseball the way it used to be on one hand but you don't want batting averages and home runs the way they used to be? 

Athletes and training methods and analytics mean today's players aren't the same as yesterday's players. Stop with the gimmicky bullshit like banning shifts and change the ball. Make it to where it used to be and only the elite power hitters can threaten 40-50 home runs and only the elite nasty pitchers can strike out 10 per 9. Until you make swinging for the fences and power pitching purely for strikeouts less valuable none of this other stuff is going to change anything in the end. 

Old man signing off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, txhorns said:

Sorry to interrupt the thread but we need more people for the Surly Roto League this year.  It’s a $50 buy in.  Here’s a link to our thread if you are interested.

Come get your asses whipped 

On 3/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, txhorns said:

Sorry to interrupt the thread but we need more people for the Surly Roto League this year.  It’s a $50 buy in.  Here’s a link to our thread if you are interested.

Just what I need... something to make me MORE obsessive about baseball.

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 2:49 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought there was an entire wedge behind 2nd base they weren't allowed in.  We've had no Astros spring training games on TV other than when I was having surgery and I haven't seen the rule play out.  

To be clear, no, that’s not the rule. I believe it’s just that 1) all 4 infielders have to have their feet in the dirt (which is now standardized in size at every park) and 2) 2 on each side of 2nd. They’re often lining up against lefties the way Huck described. Someone lined up against Joey Gallo with the LF in shallow RF, in fact.

That wedge is something that’s been talked about, maybe even experimented with at some level in the minors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Braves and Rays are on MLB Network, playing in the Trop.  I thought that was strange.  Somehow I missed this news:

Following a joint assessment of the damage to Charlotte Sports Park caused by Hurricane Ian, Charlotte County and the Rays determined the facility is unable to host this year's spring training games. For the 2023 spring training season, all remaining spring training home games will be played at Tropicana Field.

• Drool 1