A new Excorcist film, Oct 2023

Augustus

I love Jason Miller's narration there.

And in case anyone hasn't seen the movie Exorcist III (Legion), it's well worth it and George C Scott was outstanding as Lt Kinderman.  Blatty's sequel to the novel The Exorcist was entitled Legion (from the Bible "call me legion, for we are many") and it's a worthy sequel.  So Exorcist III is really the direct sequel to the film The Exorcist by the same novelist.

Blatty actually directed Exorcist III, I believe, and it had a great haunting atmosphere and some terrific performances from George C Scott and Brad Dourif, as well as another actor I'll leave as a surprise.

Anyway, like I said, if you haven't seen it, it's great.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

And in case anyone hasn't seen the movie Exorcist III (Legion), it's well worth it and George C Scott was outstanding as Lt Kinderman.  Blatty's sequel to the novel The Exorcist was entitled Legion (from the Bible "call me legion, for we are many") and it's a worthy sequel.  So Exorcist III is really the direct sequel to the film The Exorcist by the same novelist.

Blatty actually directed Exorcist III, I believe, and it had a great haunting atmosphere and some terrific performances from George C Scott and Brad Dourif, as well as another actor I'll leave as a surprise.

If you're a fan of Blatty and Jason Miller, definitely watch The Ninth Configuration, one of my favorites.

Like The Exorcist, it has religious aspects, but is more focused on the existence of God, what is sanity? and redemption.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

It's my favorite of the Exorcist movies. I also liked "Dominion"--Stellan Skarsgard is fantastic as a young Merrin.

44 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's my favorite of the Exorcist movies. I also liked "Dominion"--Stellan Skarsgard is fantastic as a young Merrin.

Did you watch both "versions" of that?

I believe Dominion was the film originally made, then the studio hated it so they re-cast and re-shot a bunch of stuff to make a different film, I think they called it Exorcist: The Beginning.  That flopped, so they released Dominion a little later.  I actually liked them both, and Stellan was really good.

The church being built over the pagan temple and then buried was a cool (and creepy) idea.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The psychological thriller is what made the fist great.

William Friedkin and the cast never viewed it as a horror story. They approached it as a power, emotional tale with father Damien's struggle at its core. He was unable to assist his dying mother and had to watch her erode in a horrific fashion due to his solemn vows and laws against assisted suicide, yet found balance by sacrificing himself in order that a young girl he didn't know could be released and live a full life. At its heart it's a love story.

• Hook 'Em 1