my dog has fleas

Gil Bang

If dog has fleas, house probably has fleas and you are finna have fleas.

Capstar is very temporarily effective, but if they're in your carpet and household stuff, they'll be right back.

Revolution has been very effective for us, longer term, along with a lot of vacuuming.  It seems to be not only very effective at keeping the fleas off the animals, but helping kill them around the house.

We had them and the exterminator had to come and do a double treatment. He sprays everything (we had to leave the house for about four hours) and the. Has to come back about four-six weeks later to spray again because the eggs that are already there during the first praying will still hatch.

Bathe the affected creature(s) in Dawn dishwashing liquid (you, the kids, whatever).  Do this again the next day.  Full strength.

If you live in a generic house with a secured back yard & that's the only place the dog gets turned out, get FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth & coat the entire area.  If you visit a dog park or said dog goes leash-less, well... don't.  It is possible the dog got it there.

On 10/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Capstar OTC, any pet store or amazon.

Capstar is just going to knock them down for about 24 hours. It will kill the ones on the dog pretty quickly. You'll notice the dog scratching like crazy about 30 minutes after you give it to them, as the fleas are dying. My dogs get monthly heartworm preventative that also kills fleas and a bunch of other worms...Trifexis. 

If you already do monthly heartworm preventative, this is the easiest way to stay on top of the flea issue. Talk to your vet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Timely topic is timely. We had to move into a pet-friendly AirBNB when our home repairs were being made after our water leak and our JRT picked up fleas from the backyard at the AirBNB. FF to now and our Lab now has a few from time to time. I noticed a couple tiny ones on the JRT today so I'm spraying some stuff from Petsmart or whatever. We've bathed them and also used the treatment from the vet on them both. They both get a heartworm/flea combo each month that has been successful until now.

We only have hardwoods (one surface rug) downstairs the dogs spend nearly all of their time downstairs.

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anytime I've had the issue, the key has been to go hardcore. Medicine, cleaning, bathing, bombing, and then do it all again.

And then do it again.

this. Scorched earth. We get fleas really bad if we don't give the dogs a prescription treatment (pill) every 4 months. Last summer we didn't do that and we got fleas.

Which meant a night at a hotel, bombed the house, washed the dogs, washed all sheets, vaccummed, etc.

If you half ass it, they'll come back.

thanks all. 

Our house has all hard floors, so no concern there.  Dog wasn't "infested", just noticed him scratching once in a while. We were leaving on a trip (in Miami now), so the GF went to petsmart and dropped 80 bucks on a topical deal.  We are heading home tomorrow (arriving in time to watch the Horns) and I'll see how he's doing.