Brazil

Js1

59 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Meanwhile notorious criminals like Jaír Bolsonaro run roughshod over that place with impunity. I would like to suggest the reason he’s refusing to concede is because he fears prison like Trump, but no, it’s just because power hungry little shithead’s gonna power hungry little shithead. Prison is very unlikely for him even though every clear thinking person with the slightest modicum of understanding of Brazil’s affairs knows he certainly deserves it.

Thing is that Bolsonaro could just take the loss and work on winning the next election, which given the current state of the world, could easily happen.  But maybe he can't think that far ahead.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Exactly.  That wasn't directed at you.  I fear that if Bolso wants to make a Trump-style shit show out of it, it could be a near thing between the military and the corrupt judiciary.

That’s exactly my concern. Like I said, I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Lula sits in that chair for a single day come January. 

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t know why I’m bothering, but are you saying you would have rather had Bolsonaro win?

Look up Operation Carwash and report back.  Lula spent a few years in prison over accepting bribes amongst many other scandals.  He’s crooked as hell.

I’m not advocating for Bolsonaro.

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Thing is that Bolsonaro could just take the loss and work on winning the next election, which given the current state of the world, could easily happen.  But maybe he can't think that far ahead.

When many voters stop caring about presidents/candidates indicating they want to end democracy, those countries don’t deserve democracy any more.

democracies don’t end with guns, they end when you elect someone who will never allow another free election.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When many voters stop caring about presidents/candidates indicating they want to end democracy, those countries don’t deserve democracy any more.

Fuck that. I’m not going to let a bunch of fascist MAGAts dictate that America doesn’t deserve democracy anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Out of the possible outcomes this was least bad.  Problem is Bolsonaro’s party controls Congress.  So there is likely lots of close combat ahead.  Lula is a typically crooked PT politician but Dilma was the one who ran Brazil so badly it set Bolsonaro up.  

Basically nothing like the US frankly.  My dad has lived in Brazil forever and doesn’t really see this significantly altering current issues.  I think you’ll have some headline changes but things like fear of nationalizing Petrobras etc are just silly.  

Bolsonaro is just a fascist asshole so him losing is good news no matter what.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Out of the possible outcomes this was least bad.  Problem is Bolsonaro’s party controls Congress.  So there is likely lots of close combat ahead.  Lula is a typically crooked PT politician but Dilma was the one who ran Brazil so badly it set Bolsonaro up.  

Basically nothing like the US frankly.  My dad has lived in Brazil forever and doesn’t really see this significantly altering current issues.  I think you’ll have some headline changes but things like fear of nationalizing Petrobras etc are just silly.  

Bolsonaro is just a fascist asshole so him losing is good news no matter what.

Este.

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Look up Operation Carwash and report back.  Lula spent a few years in prison over accepting bribes amongst many other scandals.  He’s crooked as hell.

I’m not advocating for Bolsonaro.

Considering your unwavering support for the fascist party here and President Quid Pro Quo, you 100% are. 

You care about corruption in Brazil as much as Trump cared about it in Ukraine.  

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Considering your unwavering support for the fascist party here and President Quid Pro Quo, you 100% are. 

You care about corruption in Brazil as much as Trump cared about it in Ukraine.  

Trump believes opposition to fascism is corruption. 

• Hook 'Em 3

My couple of takeaways (all of this through the lens of "yes, Brazil is unique and it its own flavor of shitshow, so it's not a perfect analog to the rest of the world, but still..."):

1 -- Bolsonaro is a fascist shitbag.  He rose to power for the same reasons as almost all of the other recent fascist shitbags (Hungary, Italy, USA): general dissatisfaction with the fruits of liberal democracy.  Lots of reasons for that dissatisfaction, some universal, some hyper-local (again, Brazil's problems and history are unique).  But one of them is a shitty social memory of how things were BEFORE liberal democracy.

2 -- the fact that Lula was the alternative (that is, if you wanted to cast a vote for "fuck fascism"), and your choice was between a populist fascist and a crooked system guy.....well, that's one of the reasons that liberal democracy is in a tough spot.  When it has to present an alternative to shitty fascism, it fields piss-poor competition.

3 -- Brazil qua Brazil will likely change very little if the regime even manages to change (I am not counting on Bolsonaro allowing the change to happen without open warfare).  For all of Bolsonaro's shitty rhetoric, in the end, he was just another corrupt and ineffective Brazilian leader.

TLDR; humanity is a piece of dick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Too lazy to translate it all, but truckers that support Bolsonaro have blocked highways in 14 states as well as Brasilia.

https://noticias.uol.com.br/eleicoes/2022/10/30/caminhoneiros-bolsonaristas-fecham-estrada-em-mt-nao-vamos-aceitar.htm

Perhaps Trudeau can start confiscating their bank accounts.

Lula is terrible for pretty much everything except being better than Bolsonaro. “Leftist” is indeed the word to describe him as he’s part of that long Latin American tradition of anti-Western and anti-U.S. knee-jerk reactionary policy, irresponsible economic pandering and corrupt dealing at home, and cozying up to authoritarian regimes as long as they are anti-American. He’ll be a problem on Ukraine, for sure and has already said that Zelenskyy is as much to blame as Putin.  USSR investment in Latin American leftism is paying off decades later. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok, yes to his main point, but I think he's discounting the massive effect social media has had and will continue to have on spreading the tenants of Nationalism.

Yep, I think he makes some valid points, but the one about technology bringing the world closer together tends to ignore some of the more maladaptive parts of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:02 PM, TwiceHorn said:

And a much less robust and separate legal system.  As much as you fuckers like to bitch about it, our legal system stopped Trump in the months following the election and are about our only chance at bringing him to heel.

Did I miss the part where dotard is in jail and no longer spewing his hate-filled lies that are getting closer and closer to having someone killed?  Because I don't recall that happening despite this supposed great legal system of ours.

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

He ain’t gonna give up that easily 

Just because you wish something really hard doesn't make it true. Nowhere else in any established and actual democracy has what happened on January 6th and post January 20th happened. Ever. In the established history of democracies that have peaceful transitions of power. 

Trump is worse than everyone ever in the history of the world. 

• Rage+1 2

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

Just because you wish something really hard doesn't make it true. Nowhere else in any established and actual democracy has what happened on January 6th and post January 20th happened. Ever. In the established history of democracies that have peaceful transitions of power. 

Trump is worse than everyone ever in the history of the world. 

Is this sarcasm? Because I really can't tell anymore. If you're serious about this post, please open up a history book and try again.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1