Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

• Pancho changed the title to Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way
On 10/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, Js1 said:

It is going to be such a fantastic year.  I cannot wait to see this squad match up with UConn in 2 weeks. 

Really excited about having Hadi Faye on the team.  She was a large part of why we lost to Tech at home last year with 11 boards in that game in 18 minutes. Going to be nice to have her in burnt orange, she had 10 boards Sunday in 14 minutes, went 7-9 from the free throw line. Glad the injury turned out to be nothing. She seems to have a Rodman like nose for rebounds, good at scoring around the rim, hits her free throws and picks up fouls on the other team’s bigs. Really nice impactful role player for us.

Faye_Khadija_2022.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Really excited about having Hadi Faye on the team.  She was a large part of why we lost to Tech at home last year with 11 boards in that game in 18 minutes. Going to be nice to have her in burnt orange, she had 10 boards Sunday in 14 minutes, went 7-9 from the free throw line. Glad the injury turned out to be nothing. She seems to have a Rodman like nose for rebounds, good at scoring around the rim, hits her free throws and picks up fouls on the other team’s bigs. Really nice impactful role player for us.

Faye was a big pickup.  And hopefully Jones isn't out too long and is able to get some good reps against Wayland Baptist and Louisiana before we hit UConn.

Her + Faye + Gaston is going to a really good interior. 

Gaston and Faye went for 29 points, 10-12 FG, 9-13 FT, 14 boards, 3 turnovers and 3 steals.  However, they both almost fouled out (5 for Gaston and 4 for Faye, but Jones playing distributes those 9 fouls differently). 

Deberry and Juhasz are both 6'5 for UConn and 6'3 Aliyah Edwards.  Will be a battle inside when those two meet

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn’t see Kyndall Hunter at the Depaul game. I might have missed her but this is not trending the right direction. I hope she sticks it out.

If she doesn’t, we are low on guards this year, just Rori, Sonya and Shaylee. Those are three great guards but we could use another. They have Jak listed as a guard at 6’2” but I think she’s more like 6’ 3-4” and a foul prone freshman but with a lot of potential. (5 fouls in 5 minutes…) Not sure of her ball handling skills.

Sonya and Rori both had 0 fouls vs Depaul and Shaylee had 3

Shay Holle is also listed as a guard. 

With the transfer portal I had a feeling that Hunter would be a risk with 3 guards like Rori, Sonya, and Shaylee. That's 3 All-Big 12 caliber guards. Is Hunter even ahead of Shay Holle in the rotation right now? 

If she's the 5th "guard" I bet there's no way she's sticking around. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Shay Holle is also listed as a guard. 

With the transfer portal I had a feeling that Hunter would be a risk with 3 guards like Rori, Sonya, and Shaylee. That's 3 All-Big 12 caliber guards. Is Hunter even ahead of Shay Holle in the rotation right now? 

If she's the 5th "guard" I bet there's no way she's sticking around. 

She's still, AFAIK, on her leave for personal reasons.  We don't know what those reasons are or when she's expected back. 

We also don't know what will be the eligibility case for Shaylee.  I think she has 2 years total, so could be back next year? Sonya was definitely a one year rental, so she's gone regardless. 

Maul is our only 2023 class guard, and she's probably going to be fully rehabbing her ACL injury or won't be available until the 2024 portion of the season.  She is an early enrollee, solely to start her rehab at our facilities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vic on Kyndall:

7:14 “We’ve had three kids who typically practice a lot, who haven’t been in practice and you throw Kyndall in that mix, who hasn’t been in practice and so it’s, you know, to me that affects our team in a negative way, so we’ve got to get all those kids back and get them healthy to where they can contribute a little bit because I think our team really benefits when we can have everybody there.”

• Hook 'Em 1

11.09.2022 | Women's Basketball

Women’s Basketball signs No. 10 recruiting class in the nation

Texas staff inks two top-50 recruits in Madison Booker (12) and Gisella Maul (38).

AUSTIN, Texas — Another top-10 recruiting class is coming to Austin as head coach Vic Schaefer announced the addition of three future Longhorns. Madison Booker (Ridgeland, Miss.), Gisella Maul (Cedar Park, Texas) and Abbie Boutilier (Flower Mound, Texas) make up the 2023 class. 

Booker, a 6-1 small forward from Germantown High School (Ridgeland, Miss.) is the No. 12 ranked recruit by ESPN. Booker is a two-time USA Basketball gold medalist and has been described as an athletic perimeter performer with off-the-charts potential, a quick-leaper, active off the glass and attacks the defense in transition. Booker is a three-time All-State selection, four-time All-Region honoree and two-time Metro Player of the Year. Booked has scored in double-figures every season and averaged 16.6 points and 7.6 rebounds in the 2021-22 season. Booker helped her team to three district championships and a runner-up finish in the 2020-21 state finals. 

"Madison is a young lady that I've been recruiting for a long time," Schaefer said. "I have watched her play high school and AAU basketball as much as any recruit I have ever signed. Madison is the Mississippi Gatorade Player of the Year, a two-time USA Basketball gold medalist and may be the best passing wing player I have ever seen. She sees the floor extremely well, much like that of a point guard. She is so unselfish and is a great teammate. Madison can play all three positions on the perimeter, has a big time jump shot and her athleticism and quickness will allow her to defend at an elite level. She is a fierce competitor, comes from a wonderful family, and  we are very excited to welcome her to the Forty Acres." 

Maul, a 5-11 guard from Cedar Park High School (Cedar Park, Texas) is the No. 38 ranked recruit by ESPN. Maul has led her team to back-to-back Texas 5A state championships and has only lost five games in three seasons. In the 2021-22 season, Maul led Cedar Park to a 37-0 record and averaged 25.6 points per game as well as 8.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 2.9 steals per contest. Maul's teams over the least three years have an 18-1 playoff record and 97-5 overall varsity record. Maul was named the class 5A State Championship Game MVP in leading the team to its first ever state title in 2021. Maul earned the 2021-22 Texas Gatorade Player of the Year award and was also named the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Player of the Year. 

"We are excited to have Gisella join the Longhorn family," Schaefer said. "She is a two-time Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Texas and back-to-back state champion. Gisella is a versatile guard, who can play all three positions on the perimeter and is a tremendous competitor.  We are excited that Gisella will enroll early and this will allow her to work with our coaches as well as our training staff, preparing her for next season as she recovers from her ACL injury. Gisella comes from a wonderful family, and we are excited she will be able to continue to play the game she loves close to home. I have seen Gisella put her team on her back and will them to a state championship. We are excited to have her here on the Forty Acres." 

Boutilier, a 6-9 center from Flower Mound High School (Flower Mound, Texas) averaged 7.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in the 2021-22 season, while shooting 54 percent from the field. Her most notable game came against Denton Guyer, when she poured in 24 points to go along with six rebounds and two blocked shots. Boutilier earned All-District honorable mention in the 2021-22 season and was named to the All-Tournament Team of the Craig Bowers Tournament. Boutilier has helped her team to 59 wins in the past three seasons and the Northside ISD Tournament championship. 

"Abbie is someone that has been committed to us for quite some time now," Schaefer said.  "At 6-9, Abbie has the opportunity to impact the game on both ends of the floor. We have had some great bigs throughout the course of our program. I believe Abbie will continue our history of developing impactful post players. Abbie has a tremendous wingspan and a heart of gold and I believe she has the work ethic necessary to develop into an impact player. Abbie is a twin and has a wonderful twin sister and a great family. I believe Abbie will come to Texas and before she graduates will have a chance to dominate her position. We are so excited to welcome her and her family to the Forty Acres."

Recruiting Class Rankings at Texas under Head Coach Vic Schaefer 

2023: No. 10

2022: No. 15

2021: No. 4 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

You can’t teach 6’9”! I’m not surprised Vic is taking her, considering he turned a similarly sized Tiarra McCowan from a project to a key contributor. Bet he believes he can do the same with Abbie

You cannot.  That has to be his thinking and he has that player on his resume as someone he turned into a really good player.

And if Vic has proved anything in 2021 and 2022, it's that we should trust him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And 26 fouls for the Horns. 

Not sure how good this team is without Rori. 

Season is early... so much to work on with this team right now, but a lot of potential. 

Probably not deserving of a #3 ranking right now -- coach 'em up Vic !!!  

"Harmon was on the Texas bench wearing a boot during the game, and her status has been listed as day-to-day. Texas travels to face No. 6 UConn on Monday. The Huskies were also without one of their top guards, Caroline Ducharme, in their opener Thursday due to neck stiffness.

"It's nothing major-major," Texas coach Vic Schaefer said of Harmon's injury. "It's a toe. But she's being evaluated daily. That's kind of where we are with it.

"People are going to press us until Rori is back, which I don't know when she'll be back. Your best press attack is a good point guard. We've got to do better at attacking pressure with pressure."

Harmon was the Big 12 freshman of the year last season and helped lead Texas to the Big 12 tournament title -- where she was awarded Most Outstanding Player -- and the NCAA Elite Eight.

Harmon is the Longhorns' leading returning scorer this season; she averaged 11.4 points as a freshman and had 180 assists to 80 turnovers with 86 steals. The 5-foot-6 sophomore was No. 10 on ESPN's preseason list of the top 25 players in women's basketball.

It also hurt Texas on Friday that another guard, transfer Sonya Morris, had to leave the game in the third quarter with a back injury.

"We're just really shorthanded," Schaefer said. "There's not a lot of options at certain spots. When stuff hits the fan, it's how you respond. That defines you. We've got two days to prepare, then we've got to go up to Storrs and play a really good basketball team. I feel confident in my team."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35005426/texas-pg-rori-harmon-misses-opener-day-day-foot-injury

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

ULL is going to win a lot of games. They went 18-7 last year with a lot of production returning this season. 

I didn't realize they were that good and it was probably a nerve-racking experience for Vic knowing he didn't have Rori. 

They usually do. They were always one of the hardest teams I had to ref because of how gritty they are. 

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

I spy Rori in the shoot around photos from tonight. Not in shoes, but not in a boot. In sweats but in the vicinity of everyone else on the court

My guess is she’s not playing

Shit. I would have given Texas the advantage with Rori since UConn is without Beukers. Now I would give the edge back to UConn. They have size to match up with Jones, so we can’t just rely on her to win the game like we did against ULL

33 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Shit. I would have given Texas the advantage with Rori since UConn is without Beukers. Now I would give the edge back to UConn. They have size to match up with Jones, so we can’t just rely on her to win the game like we did against ULL

It is what it is. Part of the game. 

You'd rather not have it become something lingering because she tried to play through it early and then she's not 100% the rest of the season/into the tournament. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It is what it is. Part of the game. 

You'd rather not have it become something lingering because she tried to play through it early and then she's not 100% the rest of the season/into the tournament. 

Yeah I know it’s just a regular season game, but at the same time, a win over UConn would get national attention as well as more local attention on the program for those not yet on board. It would be a big momentum boost for the program in a lot of ways. Hopefully the ladies on the floor can still get it done 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah I know it’s just a regular season game, but at the same time, a win over UConn would get national attention as well as more local attention on the program for those not yet on board. It would be a big momentum boost for the program in a lot of ways. Hopefully the ladies on the floor can still get it done 

I agree, but the risk to aggravating Rori's toe into a multi-month injury outweighs anything else.  Don't forget we still have the Bahamas trip as well - Marquette, maybe Tenn/Louisville. 

• Hook 'Em 2

With Rori out I’m tempering my expectations for the next few games. 25 turnovers in the last contest doesn’t bode well, but I’m expecting us to look better this time out. We were reeling from the loss of Harmon and it’s still early with many new players. AMo had 5 fouls, 3 TO and 3 points in 14 min. so she’s going to be focused and pissed. Taylor looked absolutely great but will have a much harder time going forward against taller players. We are so thin at guard we really need Sonya’s back to be better and we need her to have that sweet midrange game going, we are going to need the scoring.

I’m hoping Vic uses Hadi more in this game, I think she can make a big difference, in rebounding, second chance points and picking up fouls on Geno’s bigs.

If we can keep from turning the ball over and get it into the post with Gaston, AMO, Faye and Taylor we’ve got a shot. Someone needs to stop Fudd, I don’t know if that’s Holle or who but we got to get a hand in her face, she’s a great player.