Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can someone explain to me why this team isn't ranked and was barely ranked the last go round?

It seems to me like they're pretty good. 

I feel like the whole year has been us trying to recover after losing those games with Harmon out. And then, of course, the national media heard about us losing Moore for the year so Texas must suck right?

No one will want to play us in the tourney, but I would really like to play our first round at Moody. Make it so Vic.

2 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I feel like the whole year has been us trying to recover after losing those games with Harmon out. And then, of course, the national media heard about us losing Moore for the year so Texas must suck right?

No one will want to play us in the tourney, but I would really like to play our first round at Moody. Make it so Vic.

Didn’t help losing to tech and OSU. Get back in the rankings, lose on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1

CSB time: Made it out with my daughters last night. We had an awesome time. Sat in front of Taylor Jones parents, so that was cool to get to know them. My 7 year old is a big kid just getting into basketball, and Taylor has become her favorite player because "she's taller than the other girls like me." So that was great. 

A few things: officiating was atrocious. Not sure what game they were watching, but they missed a boatload of fouls and then simple shit like travels.

Rori is even more impressive in person. She's such a stud and I'm glad she's on our team

These ladies are fun to watch. They're constantly moving and fighting for everything. 

Texas women's athletics is doing it right by letting these kids interact with the players. I'm sure it's a pain in the ass for them to stay after and sign autographs but man, the light in my daughters' eyes as they get to see the players up close and get a signature or a photo is just phenomenal. Softball has been the same experience.

Atmosphere was great. We had a fantastic time. The parking situation at Moody is abysmal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Vic: "Obviously we had a lot of distractions tonight. My apologies to Oklahoma State. We had a lot to overcome tonight.....Some things you know about and others you don't"

Weird start to the presser

Maybe Hunter related? Wow I just remembered she existed 

Texas hoops not having a good season with players named Hunter - both are MIA right now 

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think he just meant that they had to deal with the delay in addition to the opponent. 

What about the “others you don’t?”

We all knew about the clock issue and having lost to them on the road. 

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What was the clock issue ?

Shot clocks crapped out 

After an entertaining opening quarter, the shot clocks began malfunctioning in the second session. Those problems led to several delays, and the final two possessions of the half for Texas ended with the public address announcer using his dulcet tones to count down the clock.

The technical issues at Texas' months-old, $375 million facility weren't solved over an extended break at halftime. After a 45-minute intermission, electronic scoreboards were placed on the scorer's table and the courtside media table. Portable shot clocks that also kept track of the game time were moved onto the baselines.

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas will host a first round game and if they don't the NCAA should get rid of NET because it's worthless in guiding their decisions. 

Seriously - Texas is 10th in NET.  0-1 against top 10, but 2-1 against the top 25 in NET and SC is just outside the top 25 (#27).  Also wins over #32, 45, 46 and 47. 

We still have, at the moment, a top 15 road contest left (ISU), a top 25 home contest (Baylor), two more additional road top 50 contests (@ KU and @ OU) and two more road top 75 contests (@ KSU and @ WV).  

We have losses to #2, #28, #34, #42, #46 and #71, which is the black mark on our resume.  And of course, the losses to UConn, Louisville and Marquette included being without Rori. 

We are sitting around a 3 seed in NET right now if the committee actually looks at our body of work and injuries, as they are supposed to.  If Texas can win the Big 12 regular season and get to at least the conference finals, if not win it, a 2 or 3 seed is still our future.

I just do not see the Big 12 only having one top 16 seed, considering the entire Big 12, minus TCU, is in the top 75 of NET. We are the 3rd best conference in NET, just like last year, and the Big 12 got 4 top 16 seeds (ISU, Texas, Baylor, OU).  Big 12 looks like it should get 3 this time (ISU, Texas, OU) with Baylor on the outside. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Seriously - Texas is 10th in NET.  0-1 against top 10, but 2-1 against the top 25 in NET and SC is just outside the top 25 (#27).  Also wins over #32, 45, 46 and 47. 

We still have, at the moment, a top 15 road contest left (ISU), a top 25 home contest (Baylor), two more additional road top 50 contests (@ KU and @ OU) and two more road top 75 contests (@ KSU and @ WV).  

We have losses to #2, #28, #34, #42, #46 and #71, which is the black mark on our resume.  And of course, the losses to UConn, Louisville and Marquette included being without Rori. 

We are sitting around a 3 seed in NET right now if the committee actually looks at our body of work and injuries, as they are supposed to.  If Texas can win the Big 12 regular season and get to at least the conference finals, if not win it, a 2 or 3 seed is still our future.

I just do not see the Big 12 only having one top 16 seed, considering the entire Big 12, minus TCU, is in the top 75 of NET. We are the 3rd best conference in NET, just like last year, and the Big 12 got 4 top 16 seeds (ISU, Texas, Baylor, OU).  Big 12 looks like it should get 3 this time (ISU, Texas, OU) with Baylor on the outside. 

Thanks for all the work sorting that for us. Much appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

#24 in the AP Poll

Ohio State plummets 8 spots to 10th after 3 straight losses

ISU 12th (up 6)
OU 20 (down 6)
Texas 24 (from RV / 27)
USF 25 (from RV / 28)

USC and Baylor RV

Top 5 is SC, Tree, LSU, Indiana, UConn

Rori on the Top 10 list for the Nancy Lieberman Award (nation's best PG)

Leads the Big 12 (conference only stats) in assists per game (8.2), total assists (74) and assist to turnover ratio (2.4) and second in steals (19 total, 2.1 per game)

Despite only playing in 17 games, she's 14th in the NCAA in assists (124), which would translate to 160 in 22 games (4th in the nation), and is currently 4th in assists per game (7.3). 

Point God.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Moved to a 5 seed (aq) in crème’s new bracketology. Playing in LA.

Very good. To get bumped up to a 4 seed will come down to our performance on the road in February. If we can win 2 of 3 against @KU, @ISU, and @OU, I think we have a very good shot of hosting a game in the NCAA's

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Very good. To get bumped up to a 4 seed will come down to our performance on the road in February. If we can win 2 of 3 against @KU, @ISU, and @OU, I think we have a very good shot of hosting a game in the NCAA's

Big 12 winner is going to host. I’m calling it now. Crème thinks we will win it, so there 

No. 24 Texas (16-6, 7-2 Big 12) at West Virginia (14-5, 5-3 Big 12) Game 23

Wednesday, February 1, 2023 – 6:00 p.m. Central

WVU Coliseum – Morgantown, W.Va.  

TELEVISION: The game will be streamed by Big 12 Now/ESPN+. Nick Farrell (pxp) and Meg Bulger will have the call. 

Nick Farrell oversees Gold and Blue Nation’s daily operations, including the production of The Bob Huggins Show. Meg Bulger (WV 2004-2008) is in the WVU Sports Hall of Fame. So be prepared for some homerism.

RADIO: The game will be carried on 105.3 FM in Austin. Roger Wallace (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action.

DEFENSE GETTING IT DONE: 

The Longhorns held an Iowa State team that was averaging 78.7 points per game to 53 points. Texas gave up six points in the fourth quarter to the Cyclones. Against Oklahoma, a team averaging 87.3 points per game, Texas held them to 58 points for the game and 6 points in the third quarter. The Longhorns are 14-0 on the season when holding an opponent to 59 points or less and 15 times this season they have held an opponent to single digits for a quarter.

RORI HARMON: Harmon leads the Big 12 in assists per game and steals per game. Harmon recently passed 300 career assists and is No. 6 on the UT all-time list for assists for sophomores with 124.

GASTON COMING UP BIG:  DeYona Gaston notched her second double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds in the win over Baylor. Gaston scored 15 of her 19 points in the first half against Oklahoma. Gaston ranks second in field goal percentage in the Big 12 at 55.2 points per game.

FORCING TURNOVERS: The Longhorns are forcing 21.6 turnovers per game. In the last 11 games they hold a 265-105 advantage over opponents in points off turnovers. Texas ranks 11th in the NCAA in turnovers forced per game and 16th in the NCAA in turnover margin.

NANCY LIEBERMAN AWARD TOP 10. This week Rori Harmon was named to the mid season top-10 list for the Nancy Lieberman Award, which goes to the top point guard in NCAA DI women's college basketball. 

ESPN:

West Virginia Team Stats West Virginia enters the matchup with a 67.4 points per game average, 9.3 more than the 58.1 Texas allows per contest. The Mountaineers are 13-2 in games when they put up at least 58 points. The Mountaineers have hit more three-pointers than their opponents this season, making 6.5 shots per game from deep while holding opponents to 5.3 makes per game. When West Virginia hits its average from three-point range this season, the Mountaineers have gone 7-2.

Texas Team Stats: Texas heads into the matchup scoring an average of 77 points per game, 19.6 more than the 57.4 West Virginia gives up per contest. The Longhorns are 16-6 in games where they score over 57 points. This season, the Longhorns are shooting 46.6 percent from the field while limiting their opponents to a 37.8 percent clip. When Texas shoots above its season average this year, the Longhorns have gone 12-0.

West Virginia Players to Watch: Quinerly leads West Virginia in scoring and averages 13.8 points and 2.1 steals per game. Madisen Smith paces the squad with 3.2 assists and averages 12.9 points, while Jayla Hemingway leads the Mountaineers with 6.1 rebounds per game and adds 10.2 points .When it comes to shooting the basketball, Smith is the best bet for West Virginia. She leads the team in made threes per game, knocking down 2.3 three-pointers per contest while shooting 32 percent from beyond the arc.

Texas Players to Watch: Shaylee Gonzales paces the Texas' scoring effort, averaging 12.2 points and 1.7 steals per game. Rori Harmon is the team's top passer, tallying 7.2 assists to go with 11.4 points per game. The Longhorns' leading rebounder is Khadija Faye, who pulls down 5.6 boards per game in addition to averaging 6.6 points. Sonya Morris leads the Longhorns shooting attack, making 41 percent of her shots from beyond the arc while averaging two makes per game.

West Virginia: 5-3
Sat, Dec 31 vs Oklahoma L 98-77              
Wed, Jan 4 @ Iowa State L 70-50          

Sat, Jan 7 @ Kansas State W 77-70           
Tue, Jan 10 vs TCU W 77-45        
Sun, Jan 15 vs Baylor W 74-65  

Wed, Jan 18 @ Kansas L 77-58   
Sat, Jan 21 vs Texas Tech W 67-57            
Sat, Jan 28 @ TCU W 62-55

Edited by TommysTinyTowels

Big game tonight.  All road games are big games in the Big 12.

WV has only lost 1 conference home game (opener versus OU).  They are 9-1 at home (Baylor being the only signature home win). 

Vic is 1-1 in Morgantown - his first team got shellacked 58-92.  We won by 9 last year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess if there were travel issues, we’d have heard by now?

They made it... just no shoot around last night per Vic.  Got there late, he felt like the players getting rest more important.

Edited by LTtxfan

2 on Holle and 2 on Gaston 

19-14 Texas after 1. Turnovers killing Texas (6 so far)

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

These refs love calling fouls. This is going to be a weird one with these refs. 

That’s almost every Big 12 WBB game. It’s so ass