Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

Looking back at the loss to Louisville in November:

• Texas lost by 8 points, 63-71
  • Without Rori, we turned it over 19 times, which led to 22 Louisville points.  We only turned UL over 16 times - Rori herself is usually good for an extra 3-4 turnovers forced per game. 
  • Sonya only scored 7 points, making 1 three. She was not the difference maker in the game, it was Moore (21 on 70% shooting with 8 boards).  Our interior players will have to pick up the slack. 
  • Amina only played 10 min and Faye only played 8 minutes.  Jones did play (10 points in 20 minutes)
  • Gaston fouled out in 18 minutes of play
  • We still limited Louisville, without our best defender, to 43% shooting and 36% from three (4-11) but they went to line 10 more times than us (21 of 28)
  • Both teams rebounded exactly the same (11 offensive and 21 defensive)

With Rori, we should not turn it over 19 times. Shaylee doesn't have to facilitate the offense (5 turnovers by herself).

We don't have Moore, but Amina, Gaston, Jones, Faye is much more formidable in March than in November (Amina in her first month of college competition + Jones not being fully healthy).  

Defense is much better now than November.  60 points is Vic's goal and we held ISU to 61 yesterday - he was actually happy about the defense in the Big 12 finals.  No one has scored more than 66 on us since early February and that was the Tech game where the 4th quarter was a foul fest with both teams combining for 28 FTs (71 to Tech, 50 to TCU, 66 to ISU, 48 to WV, 45 to OU, 63 to Baylor, 52 to KSU, 42 to KSU, 57 to OSU, 61 to ISU). 

Also 14-2 at Moody.  Only losses were Rori's first game back from injury (USF) and to Baylor coming off a huge win in Norman 2 days prior and being worn out. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Two more things - 

I think our Saturday game is the second matchup in Austin, so 8ish (30 min after the 5:30 game). 

Also went back to see how Taylor Jones did against Stanford while at OSU:

2019-2020:
6 points, 3 boards
14 points, 12 boards
7 points, 3 boards

2020-2021:
13 points, 15 boards
6 points, 13 boards

2021-2022:
Did not play versus Stanford

On Sonya:

Vic : "Yeah, so I saw her this morning in the training room, and she was going to see the doctor this afternoon.I haven’t seen her since she saw the doctor but she’s much improved and whether that translates into practicing and playing I don’t know. Dr Bray was going to see her this afternoon but she had made some significant improvement and uh so we’ll kind of see how that shakes out throughout the rest of the week."

Question: "I’m sure you don’t want to project too much with her, but if she is available, she has missed so much time, and this is such a high stakes point of the year, I mean can you go into the tournament expecting much from her if she is available, how do you kind of handle that with someone who hasn’t been playing?"

Vic: "So there probably be some rust to knock off and that’s been my thing all along, is that okay, you know, if you’re having a hard time running you can stand and shoot and do some of those things to keep your touch with your shots, so that when you are cleared to play you don’t have as much rust to knock off.

I think for her, staying back last week, that’s what she did she worked on knocking off some of that rust all the while working with our trainers twice a day to get that leg healed up right so she can play, so her dad was here, he’s such a good dad so much admiration for him and respect for him he was here with her again today.

We’re all encouraged but she needs to see the doctor and kind of find out where she’s at. I think from where we are right now to where we cold be on Saturday there could be some time to get there maybe. But again I wasn’t with her at the doctor I had to be over here "

Sounds promising. You know if she can go she absolutely will.

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually watched the ECU/Houston final last weekend, and it gave me renewed appreciation of our offense. We'll go through frustrating dry spells, but ECU and Houston couldn't knock down a 10 footer to save their life the entire game. If Texas plays tight defense and shoots 30% or better from the field, we should be just fine. 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I understand what he's saying but it looks like it's broadcast on the mothership ESPN 

Far more eyes than on ESPN+ at 7:00

Hopefully it's not that whip-around partial coverage crap...

They don't do whiparound coverage anymore.  They use ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN News on Friday and also add ABC on Saturday.

The issue is that they were only 3 western hosts (UCLA, Stanford, Utah).  They need that nighttime timeslot for 2 regionals on Friday and 2 on Saturday.  We ended up with UCLA on Sat/Monday, while Utah/Stanford got Friday/Sunday, as the next westernmost regional host. 

HOWEVER - Stanford and Utah both got the 6:30 game in their regionals (the early game), while Texas and UCLA both got the late game in their regionals (9 for Texas and 10:30 for UCLA).  That's probably more Vic's complaining if ESPN didn't let us pick.  6:30 on Saturday >>> 9pm.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Couple potential portal names to watch.... (especially guards)

PG Jayda Curry (Cal) - 2022 Pac 12 Freshman of the Year - followed on instagram by Lovato, Blair Schaefer, Sydney Carter, Rori and Jordana Codio.  Averaged 15.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 106 assists, 15 steals and knocked down 34% of her shots BTA (officially in the portal)

G JJ Quinerly (WV) - not in the portal yet but her dad is following Vic and the Moody Center accounts, along with some other coaches he follows (LSU, MD, VT, UNC).  Vic admires her a lot, they've talked a lot in the post-game handshake line. 14.3 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 66 assists, 63 steals, knocks down 30% of her shots BTA, but 42% from the field overall.  She's the kind of tough, defensive-minded player Vic would love 

As we've talked about at length, we need at least 2 guards from the portal (replace Hunter and Morris), with at least one being able to play PG to give Rori some rest.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you did not see,   Vic threw out the first pitch of the baseball game vs NDSU last night.     He then went to the dugout and fist bumped each of the players including the managers.    Very nice gesture not always done by the honoree who throws the first pitch.   Shows his respect for the student athletes.

That said,  the players seemed more enamored with Rori, Shay, and Taylor who accompanied Vic and looked super sharp in their just above knee dresses.

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Both great players but would a FOY point guard want to come here knowing Rori was going to get 35+ minutes a game running the point? Love to have her though.

(BTA: Shaylee 35.4% , Sonya 38.3%, Holle  38.8%, Matharu 2022 42.1%  - Harmon 16.3% Lol )

I remember being impressed with Guinerly.

Curry actually didn't even lead her team in assists (someone else had 107). So she clearly can play with another ball dominant guard.  It's more the idea that she can play off the ball as a 2 and slide to the 1 when Rori needs a rest.

Don't forget we have both Carr and Hunter on the men's side and both start.  Curry would more like Carr (can play the 1 or 2), while Harmon would primary play the 1, because she doesn't put up SG numbers.

My big hope was that Rori's shooting numbers went down because she added a lot of muscle in the offseason and the toe injury early on.  Definitely will be the focus of her offseason work.  There's no PG in the 2023 incoming class, so we have to either find someone like Curry (combo guard potential) or a grad transfer PG. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Curry actually didn't even lead her team in assists (someone else had 107). So she clearly can play with another ball dominant guard.  It's more the idea that she can play off the ball as a 2 and slide to the 1 when Rori needs a rest.

Don't forget we have both Carr and Hunter on the men's side and both start.  Curry would more like Carr (can play the 1 or 2), while Harmon would primary play the 1, because she doesn't put up SG numbers.

My big hope was that Rori's shooting numbers went down because she added a lot of muscle in the offseason and the toe injury early on.  Definitely will be the focus of her offseason work.  There's no PG in the 2023 incoming class, so we have to either find someone like Curry (combo guard potential) or a grad transfer PG. 

Thanks. Good points.

Seems to be a lot of interest from Texas for both players, very encouraging.

Get the guard play solidified and this team will be a monster.

41 minutes ago, torre said:

If you did not see,   Vic threw out the first pitch of the baseball game vs NDSU last night.     He then went to the dugout and fist bumped each of the players including the managers.    Very nice gesture not always done by the honoree who throws the first pitch.   Shows his respect for the student athletes.

That said,  the players seemed more enamored with Rori, Shay, and Taylor who accompanied Vic and looked super sharp in their just above knee dresses.

That was a damn fine pitch by Vic. Didn't bounce it like most honorees, had a little heat on it.

Didn't see the dresses though....

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, torre said:

People talk about how Beard was a master salesman and ambassador, but Vic gives him a run for his money.  That dude is engaged in the UT community. 

• Hook 'Em 3

No. 4 seed Texas (25-9, 14-4 Big 12) vs. No. 13 seed East Carolina (23-9, 11-5 AAC)
NCAA Tournament First Round Game 35
Saturday, March 18, 2023 – 9:00 p.m. Central
Moody Center – Austin, Texas

TELEVISION: The game will be nationally televised on ESPN. Eric Frede (pxp) and Tamika Catchings (analyst) will call the game.
RADIO: The game will be carried on 105.3 FM in Austin. Roger Wallace (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action.

East Carolina Players to Watch
McNeal is East Carolina's leading scorer, averaging 17.6 points and 2.9 steals per game. Amiya Joyner is the leading rebounder, tallying 9.7 rebounds per game to go with 10.5 points, while Micah Dennis leads the Lady Pirates with 2.8 assists per game in addition to averaging 6.6 points a contest.
McNeal is the top threat for East Carolina from beyond the arc. She paces the squad in made threes per game, hitting 1.1 three-pointers per contest with a 28 percent shooting percentage from downtown.

E.C.Shooting:
37.8% from the floor
23.4% from 3
62.6% from the stripe
(So not too spiffy)

Texas Shooting:
44.6% from the floor
34.0% from 3
67.9% from the stripe

They appear to shoot and rebound about even with their opponents.
They have more assists, blocks, a lot more steals and far fewer turnovers than their opponents.

East Carolina Pirates Schedule:

vs South Carolina State W71-35
vs Wake Forest     L57-46
vs UNC Wilmington W76-49     
vs High Point W65-54 OT
vs Charleston Southern     W64-31     
vs Liberty W72-64

@ Virginia L72-50
@ George Mason L54-41     

vs VCU     W69-51
vs Maryland-Eastern Shore W67-41     

@ Gardner-Webb    L67-59     
vs North Carolina A&T W79-49     
@ Hampton W64-60     

vs Tulsa L55-47
@ Memphis W55-47
vs Tulane W63-53
@ Temple W72-51

@ SMU L68-66
vs Cincinnati W61-53
@ Wichita State W66-57     

vs Memphis L61-53     
@ South Florida    L72-48     

@ UCF W68-54
vs Temple W67-52
vs Wichita State W79-62
@ Cincinnati W68-57     
vs UCF W63-57     
vs Houston W88-83 3OT

@ Tulane L64-56     
vs Tulane W69-58     
vs Memphis W69-60     
vs Houston W46-44

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Men play Penn State at 6:45pm, so there shouldn’t be much if any overlap between the men and women playing on Saturday  

That’ll be a nice night. One game tolls into the next. A solid 4-5 hours of Longhorn ball

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1