Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

The funny thing is Drake would have beaten Louisville if Van Lith wasn't an absolute stone cold killer down the stretch (and if their one big could have shot 50% on wide open lay ins).  Louisville played with much more energy and focus tonight and hit their shots.  Texas laid an absolute egg, even considering the limitations.  The combination of those things makes for an ugly score.

Total side note, but on my way out I ran into Sydir Mitchell.  I haven't felt that tiny in a long time.

I almost wonder if this season will be a blessing in disguise. Vic is too passionate. Something wasn’t working this year (sure, injuries too) and I think this season might light and even bigger fire in Vic. He wants to win one before he retires. He’s shown he can build here, but there’s just something missing. 

10 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Pretty pathetic if the B12 can't get even a single team in the top 16!

I wonder if Vic will have any turnover in asst coaches?

Doubt it.  We went through massive turnover last year, when coaches left for other jobs (DJJ to Kansas City as HC, McEntire went to Illinois as AHC for her old boss and Phillips went to San Jose as HC).  

The Big 12 did not prepare us - 6 teams in, 3 did not make it out of the first round (Ok State, WV, ISU) and 3 didn't advance past the second round (Texas, Baylor, OU).  The Big 12 itself had a lot of injuries to start players - Blackwell (BU), Lee (KSU), Soares (ISU), Moore (Texas).  Big 12 will have a lot of departures as well - Ashley Joens is gone for ISU, Taylor Robertson/Ana Llanusa/Madi Williams are gone for OU, Sonya Morris is gone for Texas, Caitlin Bickle and Ja'Mee Asberry are gone for Baylor, Bre'Amber Scott and Taum Veitenheimer are gone for Tech, Alnatas/Chastian/De Lapp are gone for OSU. 

Big 12 will look vastly different next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Absolutely horrible way to end the season. We got trucked in coaching, energy, athleticism and talent.
I was feeling pretty good about our team going forward but after last night it's hard to feel that way.
We have seen this team fall apart after a short turn around but this was just the typical tournament schedule and we should have been fine.

We certainly have problems to address but we aren’t as bad as we looked last night. Massive credit to Louisville, they played an impressive game.

Now I’ve got portal anxiety.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Absolutely horrible way to end the season. We got trucked in coaching, energy, athleticism and talent.
I was feeling pretty good about our team going forward but after last night it's hard to feel that way.
We have seen this team fall apart after a short turn around but this was just the typical tournament schedule and we should have been fine.

We certainly have problems to address but we aren’t as bad as we looked last night. Massive credit to Louisville, they played an impressive game.

Now I’ve got portal anxiety.

Lovato told Craig that everyone but Sonya is returning. And obviously Masudi and Gutierrez, I'm assuming, who got honored on Senior Day.  Way said Gonzales is returning, so I hope that is true.

As for anyone on roster who could portal?  Maybe Jak, due to being so far from home? I know Gaston and Vic have a very contentious relationship.  I'm surprised she's lasted this long under him, to be honest.  I don't see anyone like AMo/Rori leaving and Holle is a Longhorn Legacy.  Amina is so perfectly suited for Vic's defense and Faye/Jones just transferred in. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lovato told Craig that everyone but Sonya is returning. And obviously Masudi and Gutierrez, I'm assuming, who got honored on Senior Day.  Way said Gonzales is returning, so I hope that is true.

As for anyone on roster who could portal?  Maybe Jak, due to being so far from home? I know Gaston and Vic have a very contentious relationship.  I'm surprised she's lasted this long under him, to be honest.  I don't see anyone like AMo/Rori leaving and Holle is a Longhorn Legacy.  Amina is so perfectly suited for Vic's defense and Faye/Jones just transferred in. 

I noticed Kyndall Hunter has been wiped from the roster. If she can’t find a new home, Vic better not give her another chance 

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I know Gaston and Vic have a very contentious relationship.  I'm surprised she's lasted this long under him, to be honest. 

I certainly hope she stays, she's a great piece for us although with AMo back it wouldn't be as bad. Do we have enough scollys for the guards we need, Codio, Maul and Jak seem too raw to contribute next year? We need an experienced 1/2 who can shoot the three.

45 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I noticed Kyndall Hunter has been wiped from the roster. If she can’t find a new home, Vic better not give her another chance 

She's fully in the portal, I think mutually. Fool me once.....  I'll bet they've already hired a moving service to get her gone, they probably called up Gerlich offering her a deal on a very slightly used guard.

35 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I certainly hope she stays, she's a great piece for us although with AMo back it wouldn't be as bad. Do we have enough scollys for the guards we need, Codio, Maul and Jak seem too raw to contribute next year? We need an experienced 1/2 who can shoot the three.

We should have 2 or 3 to work with for incoming transfers. Depends if Boutilier is on scholarship or not. Rumor she may pay her own way initially 

Quinerly is in the portal now, I believe. 👀 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We should have 2 or 3 to work with for incoming transfers. Depends if Boutilier is on scholarship or not. Rumor she may pay her own way initially 

Quinerly is in the portal now, I believe. 👀 

Well that's all excellent news. I wish JJ shot better from 3, but she can certainly help Rori survive a season and can score the ball.

2 years left I wonder?

54 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Well that's all excellent news. I wish JJ shot better from 3, but she can certainly help Rori survive a season and can score the ball.

2 years left I wonder?

2 years left.  Played 2021-22 and 2022-23

She really racks up assists and steals.  She had to be the primary ball handler more this past year, but when she didn't have to last year, she shot 33% from BTA, 81 assists to 57 steals.  

She's basically Vic's dream guard who can play both on and off the ball and spell Rori at PG.  I don't think it would take her that long to adapt to Vic's defensive system, he has huge respect for her already; I'm guessing he's envisioned her in his system, just based on their interactions in our post-game handshake lines with WV. 

If our pickups are Quinerly and a 3 point shooter, I'd be quite gruntled.  Madison Booker at the 3 is going to be special.  She's real talent.  Codio, if fully healthy, is someone who could bring 3 point shooting off the bench, as that was part of her recruiting profile.  Same with Maul. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

2 years left.  Played 2021-22 and 2022-23

She really racks up assists and steals.  She had to be the primary ball handler more this past year, but when she didn't have to last year, she shot 33% from BTA, 81 assists to 57 steals.  

She's basically Vic's dream guard who can play both on and off the ball and spell Rori at PG.  I don't think it would take her that long to adapt to Vic's defensive system, he has huge respect for her already; I'm guessing he's envisioned her in his system, just based on their interactions in our post-game handshake lines with WV. 

If our pickups are Quinerly and a 3 point shooter, I'd be quite gruntled.  Madison Booker at the 3 is going to be special.  She's real talent.  Codio, if fully healthy, is someone who could bring 3 point shooting off the bench, as that was part of her recruiting profile.  Same with Maul. 

Thank you. Sounds like there's good reason to be optimistic.

I agree that it was a disappointing end to the season, but not at all unexpected.  This entire season has had a "not our year" feel to it for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.  Vic deserves some of the blame, and he'd be the first to tell you that, but the only luck we had this year was the bad variety.  I trust Vic to learn from his mistakes and build a deeper roster, and I fully expect us to be more competitive next season.   

• Hook 'Em 2

The main thing is figuring out all the injuries. You simply can't survive with the amount of injuries Texas had this season. 

This was another game where we looked gassed playing within 48 hours and no depth. Reality is we probably overachieved this year in the context of injuries. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The main thing is figuring out all the injuries. You simply can't survive with the amount of injuries Texas had this season. 

This was another game where we looked gassed playing withing 48 hours and no depth. Reality is we probably overachieved this year in the context of injuries. 

The Big 12 being ass also didn’t help. It made us look better than we truly were. Not a single elite team in the conference. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Big 12 being ass also didn’t help. It made us look better than we truly were. Not a single elite team in the conference. 

True but that was pretty obvious. Texas tied for first essentially down 2 starters for most of Big 12 play. 

If Texas was healthy they would have won the Big 12 by 3+ games which is all you need to know. 

ISU is having an off-season already. After losing to a 12 seed to end Ashley Joens’ career, the NCAA denied an additional year for Soares (injured in game 13), 2 players entered the portal and Fennelly confirmed a third would “not be back.” That’s Miller-McGraw, Vick, Kane, Soares, Joens, and possibly Jordao. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

ISU is having an off-season already. After losing to a 12 seed to end Ashley Joens’ career, the NCAA denied an additional year for Soares (injured in game 13), 2 players entered the portal and Fennelly confirmed a third would “not be back.” That’s Miller-McGraw, Vick, Kane, Soares, Joens, and possibly Jordao. 

Wow, that's quite a hit.

Hopefully this next year will be our turn to have the roundball gods smile on us. We are due a break for a change.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:47 PM, Js1 said:

It got worse for ISU

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2023/03/24/iowa-state-womens-basketball-star-lexi-donarski-enters-transfer-portal/70046094007/

The Iowa State women's basketball team has suffered its biggest loss to the transfer portal yet.

Cyclones guard Lexi Donarski, a three-year starter and lockdown defender for Iowa State, says she has entered the transfer portal. Donarski, who has made 95 career starts, averaged 13.2 points and 3.2 rebounds per game during her three seasons in Ames.

Based on some insta stalking, looks like we had a visitor this weekend. JJ Quinerly is following basically everyone from the student manager to the S&C coach. Must have had a good visit. 

If she’s in the portal, it may be as a Do Not Contact bc this was fast. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Based on some insta stalking, looks like we had a visitor this weekend. JJ Quinerly is following basically everyone from the student manager to the S&C coach. Must have had a good visit. 

If she’s in the portal, it may be as a Do Not Contact bc this was fast. 

I thought she went in right after her coach announced she was leaving for minnesota?

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought she went in right after her coach announced she was leaving for minnesota?

I don’t recall it being officially official but highly speculated. But maybe it was basically known by all.