Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The only weakness on next year's team is Rori is still really the only ball handler. They need a 2nd point guard that can also play off ball. 

It's pretty clear they're looking for a 2nd point guard type versus a scorer. 

Rori is still a double digit per game scorer for her career and she's more like the 31% BTA shooter she was a freshman than this year's horrendous shooting. Mair is also a double digit per game scorer.  And she's a good FT shooter too (near 80%) as a freshman. 

It's clear both can play and contribute.  Especially if Texas can get another guard like Donarski in the Morris-role. 

• Hook 'Em 1

"Mair set the single-season freshman assists record with 217 and finished second in a single season in program history"
I don't get why she would want to be back-up to Harmon. She averaged 6.6 assists per game as a freshman.

You know Vic is going to be having Rori running point 90% of the time, just seems strange.

4 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

"Mair set the single-season freshman assists record with 217 and finished second in a single season in program history"
I don't get why she would want to be back-up to Harmon. She averaged 6.6 assists per game as a freshman.

You know Vic is going to be having Rori running point 90% of the time, just seems strange.

Because she can also play the 2. It's not like she would only be Rori's back up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

Lots of social media follows both ways with Mair. Mair following Texas WBB page.

Looking promising.

It’s a very goid addition if she’s in. Basically just replacing Hunter with someone who will actively contribute at both the 1 and 2 spots alongside Rori.

Now we just need the Morris replacement and ill feel pretty good.

The recruiting sites are really really high on Booker too. She’ll take some time to work her way into the lineup, but don’t sleep on her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Now we just need the Morris replacement and ill feel pretty good.

The recruiting sites are really really high on Booker too. She’ll take some time to work her way into the lineup, but don’t sleep on her. 

Harmon  FG% .382     BTA%  .250
Mair    FG% .360     BTA%  .294
Morris: FG% .415     BTA%  .388
Matharu FG% .429     BTA%  .421

I think Mair will shoot better her sophomore year. (Let's just forget Rori's shooting last year....)

Would love to sign another great 3 point shooter. Should be top priority for Vic right now.

What I've seen of Booker's skill and attitude I think it's going to be hard to keep her off the floor. She's unreal and a creator as well.

Can't wait.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Would love to sign another great 3 point shooter. Should be top priority for Vic right now.

Hopefully Donarski but gotta think Vic has a few he would like for the Morris replacement. Trust in Vic 

• Hook 'Em 2

Celeste may be headed to Ohio State

Baylor's Jaden Owens is in the portal as a grad transfer.  She transferred to Baylor from UCLA. 

Started 30/32 games, she's definitely more of a facilitator than a scorer (8.0 ppg and 3.3 rpg on 38/27/71 shooting). 184 assists to 91 turnovers. 

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

This is a big one. She’s from The Colony, TX

Texas needs to be all over this one 

Wow, what a loss for Wake. With her I feel we would be in the hunt.

I wonder what our chances are to get her? After getting no one so far and other teams picking up players the landing spots

have to be diminished and should increase our chances. Can we do her and Mair I wonder? Please?

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Wow, what a loss for Wake. With her I feel we would be in the hunt.

I wonder what our chances are to get her? After getting no one so far and other teams picking up players the landing spots

have to be diminished and should increase our chances. Can we do her and Mair I wonder? Please?

I think it would increase our chances. We have the spots and everyone else has been wooing or landing other players like Morrow and HVL while we seemed to be keeping a spot open  

Texas absolutely can and should try to prioritize Mair and Spear. The lack of a backup PG has to be addressed. Spear would step into Morris’ spot. 

Some players are now following her - Rori and AMo. I think she’s close/friendly with some of our roster already. 

Feels like Spear was a rumor floating around that had legs. Maybe Texas knew and enticed her in, and that’s why did they didn’t prioritize HVL or Donarski as much

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Van Lithium to LSU

Worst kept secret. Which means they likely won't go after Spear. If LSU gets Morrow, they're going to repeat.  

Texas really should be the biggest threat to land her, but don't sleep on Louisville - Walz loves his intra-ACC transfers. However, Walz has already landed Jada Curry, Eylia Love, Kiki Jefferson and Nina Rickards.  I repeat as I said above - Texas, seemingly very quiet in the portal, should be considered a/the favorite for Spear, based on the glaring hole at guard on our roster, not having landed anyone yet and Spear being from Texas.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

LSU will be fascinating to watch. That’s a lot of talent, but there’s also more ego than talent between Reese, HVL, Flajae Johnson and Empress Ego herself, KM

That could go undefeated and win the whole thing or implode really fast 

Edited by Js1

Saw this story from the Louisville paper about Van Lith.    Seems it was not a surprise for her to leave to enhance her WNBA and NLI stock.    Excerpts,  story worth a click.

@Js1 story mentions words between Mulkey and Walz after Louisville's upset of Griner and Baylor in 2013.   Do you recall any details  ?

That’s certainly part of the reason why leaving U of L felt necessary. She’s out to redefine who she is as a player and that may be easier to achieve at LSU surrounded by a more talented lineup that should help make running the team easier.

Van Lith established a relationship with LSU coach Kim Mulkey in high school. Her final two college choices came down to U of L and Baylor, where Mulkey coached at the time.

Mulkey seems to embrace players with big personalities like Van Lith. That was evident in the way she didn't try to suppress star forward Angel Reese through the season. And LSU guard Flau'Jae Johnson has music aspirations that she said many coaches recruiting her tried to discourage, but not Mulkey.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2023/04/27/hailey-van-lith-made-right-call-leaving-louisville-basketball-for-lsu/70123331007/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If Vic also misses out on Spear, woof

Duke did lose their starting PG to the portal. Could her and Rori have worked? Yeah, but clearly she wants to be THE woman running point. Can’t fault her too much - Spear showing up on the scene and being a top target might have scared her, because Mair would have fourth behind Rori, Shaylee and Jewel in the guard rotation  

Get Spear and, as we did with volleyball last year, find a grad transfer PG who wants a year of school paid for and a chance for a ring playing mop up duty, a la Jenna Ewert 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I thought I posted that was gonna happen but it didn’t go through 

Sad Am Fine GIF by MOODMAN

There’s either something wrong with our NIL game or these kids don’t want to play Vic’s style.

WBB has a substantial allocation for NIL and several focused benefactors. It's something else.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

WBB has a substantial allocation for NIL and several focused benefactors. It's something else.

Then it’s style. Defense first and Vic coaches very hard. 

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Can’t help but wonder if his very public faith plays a factor too. It could make some non Christian recruits uncomfortable at times. 

Agreed. I've seen some of the players he's signed have scriptures posted on their social like it was a plus for them.
Certainly could be a problem for others.
I think Spear knew where she was going from the start.

We really need a another guard or two, you would think our specific need along with Vic's success would be attractive to someone.
I blamed the slow roll last year on not having a coaching staff, that's not the issue this year. This is getting discouraging.

If Kim doesn't repeat in 2024, it would be as bad as if Elliot didn't win in 2022 with that portal haul. 

But that is a lot of talent and egos to manage.  Reese + Van Lilth could burn it all down between the two of them. 

• Like 1

I understand Vic saying he doesn’t want to recruit portal transfers which could hurt the development of
his incoming players and I know it's a juggling act, but I cringe thinking about how the year ended with
no back-up for Rori and hurting for another solid shooter with Sonya out.
I think he wanted certain players but just struck-out on signing them. I hope those freshman are ready to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, that’s great if Maul is ahead of schedule. It’s gonna suck not seeing full power AMo until January 

I believe grad transfers can still enter the portal though 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Prater played a combined 47 minutes against Texas last season, and in that time took a total of 4 shots. (scored 5 points in total)

She isn't a player that looks to score, but we could always add another facilitator that limits her turnovers.

Outside of the games against us, she can score the ball. Another facilitator is what we need. 

4 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Haven’t just about all the “best” portal players already signed with other teams, or are there a few still out there that could help out?

The elite ones are gone. But what we need is still out there. Texas really does need someone, anyone, who can spell Rori and run point for 8-10 mpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tionna Herron, 6’5 from Kentucky, has signed with Texas. Top 70 in the class of 2022

Shes developmental, aka, not immediate impact. Likely if Gaston and Jones both end up moving on after this year 

Was a teammate of Amina’s at DeSoto

Edited by Js1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tionna Herron, 6’5 from Kentucky, has signed with Texas. Top 70 in the class of 2022

Shes developmental, aka, not immediate impact. Likely if Gaston and Jones both end up moving on after this year 

Was a teammate of Amina’s at DeSoto

Chandler Prater is in town - or likely, as the team was at VY Steakhouse and she's now following Zack Zillner (and vice versa).

Reminder - she profiled out of HS as a 5'9 point guard with combo-guard handles. Aka, exactly what we need.  Someone who can spell Rori and play multiple guard spots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Chandler Prater is in town - or likely, as the team was at VY Steakhouse and she's now following Zack Zillner (and vice versa).

Reminder - she profiled out of HS as a 5'9 point guard with combo-guard handles. Aka, exactly what we need.  Someone who can spell Rori and play multiple guard spots. 

Prater reminds me a lot of Joanne Allen-Taylor. 

Very similar players IMO.