Texas Women’s Basketball 2022-2023: Get on board or get out the damn way

Pancho

OU won women's bball?  

OK, how shall we celebrate this?  Let's use our lightbulbs (we have those, right?  Can anyone give me the status of the rural electrification project?)..  I hear the Horns have those.  Let's do what they do.

Edited by Bullneck

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

OU won women's bball?  

OK, how shall we celebrate this?  Let's use our lightbulbs (we have those, right?  Can anyone give me the status of the rural electrification project?)..  I hear the Horns have those.  Let's do what they do.

Texas "Light the Tower!"
OU "Light the chode!"

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

What kind of fucked up world exists where you are “co-champs” with a team you swept and has the same record???

This dumb conference that recognizes co-champs in a round robin schedule 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gerlich is way too loud for being such a mediocre coach. You're in your 3rd year at Tech and haven't made the tournament. Shut the fuck up and stop acting like you're some type of hot shot. 

Fennelly allegedly initiated it as Tech was pressing down 30 at the end of the game against ISU’s reserves. Gerlich seems to have “needs to have the last word” syndrome 

Edited by Js1

Just to reiterate my hate for this conference - 

Pac-12, B1G, Big East, ACC and SEC will be done with conference tournaments after tomorrow. All teams will be resting and rehabbing until the NCAAT

Meanwhile, the Big 12 tournament is played all the way up to Selection Day….

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Washington State, Virginia Tech, Iowa and SC helped us a lot today, since we are one of the teams in the 9-16 range and all 4 of those beat teams we were in contention with as well, and winning their conference tournament could have leap frogged us (UCLA, Louisville, Ohio State and Tenn)

Our NET is up to 11, but we are still a 4 in Crème’s bracket. I still think our ceiling is a 3 if we make the Big 12 tournament finals.  

Congrats to Lifetime Longhorn Kami Etheridge on their Pac 12 tournament title and auto-berth 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze in this conference tourney. I’d just as soon lose in the first game I think. 

Maybe the second game. I don’t want to lose to Tech again this year. 

15th in the final AP poll before Selection Sunday

13 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Any possibility of getting any of our injured player(s) back for the tournament?

Morris and Jak are the only one who could play in postseason. No chance on AMo

• Hook 'Em 1

The injuries have been insane. 

Harmon (starting PG)-missed first 5 games. 

Jones (first big off the bench)-missed 9 games

Moore (starting PF)-missed most of the season

Hunter (was likely going to be first guard off the bench)- not injured by MIA the entire season 

Morris (starting SG)-missed final 7 games of season

Then players like Muhammad and Jak have missed games due to injury. The fact Vic even has Texas in this position is kind of incredible. I doubt any other coach could have survived this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sonya was the first to climb up and get her piece of the net as the team celebrated winning the (a share of) Big 12 regular season

Ok. Let's call that a damn good sign.

I had convinced myself the announcer in the KSate game had confused Sonya coming back with Jak coming back but maybe not.

That would be huge for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rori!!! (The award she also deserved last year)

Rori has 2 more years to win Big 12 POY, DPOY and FOY and cement herself as a true Texas legend - only missing POY so far 

Player of the Year: Ashley Joens, Iowa State
Defensive Player of the Year: Rori Harmon, Texas
Freshman of the Year: Darianna Littlepage-Buggs, Baylor*
Newcomer of the Year: Shaylee Gonzales, Texas
Sixth Player Award: Skylar Vann, Oklahoma
Coach of the Year: Vic Schaefer, Texas

Rori and Gaston 1st team

Shaylee 2nd team

Rori All-Defensive Team

Amina Freshman Team

I think Jones got robbed and Morris missed too many games at the end. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

WV-OSU, 11am, ESPNU

KSU-Texas. 1:30pm, ESPNU

TCU-OU, 5pm, ESPN+

Baylor-ISU, 7:30pm, ESPN+

Both lower seeded teams won yesterday, TCU upsetting KU and KSU over Tech. Both Texas and OU get much easier quarterfinals opponents

We probably want WV for the semifinals and for OU to face ISU. 

No. 15/16 Texas (23-8, 14-4 Big 12) vs. Kansas State (16-15, 5-13 Big 12)
Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship Quarterfinals
Friday, March 10, 2023 – 1:30 p.m. Central Game 32

Kansas City, Mo. – Municipal Auditorium

TELEVISION: The game will be nationally televised on ESPNU/ESPN+. Brenda VanLengen (pxp) and Holly Warlick (analyst) will have the call.
RADIO: The game will be carried on 105.3 FM in Austin. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action.

Texas took down Kansas State 80-52 in the team's last outing on Saturday. Shaylee Gonzales put up a team-high 21 points in the victory.
Gregory helped lead Kansas State to a 79-69 victory over Texas Tech on Thursday, scoring 26 points in the matchup.

Kansas State Players to Watch
Gregory averages 18.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game, leading Kansas State in both scoring and rebounding. The Wildcats also get 13.9 points, 5.1 assists and 1.9 steals from Serena Sundell, while Jaelyn Glenn adds 11.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game. Gregory leads Kansas State's three-point shooting efforts, drilling 2.4 treys per game while connecting on 32 percent of her shots from downtown.

Kansas State Schedule:
@ Texas L87-41     
vs Oklahoma State W86-72     
vs West Virginia L77-70     
@ Iowa State L67-56     
vs Texas Tech L85-65     
@ Baylor L69-48     

vs TCU     W64-48
@ Oklahoma State L82-74     
@ Kansas L85-72     
vs Iowa State W78-77     
@ Texas Tech L78-68     
vs Oklahoma L85-68     

vs Baylor W87-68     
@ TCU L75-62     
vs Kansas W63-45
@ West Virginia    L67-58     
@ Oklahoma L90-86 OT     
vs Texas L80-52

vs Texas Tech W79-69

Sonya is still out for this game and Sundell might be hurt for KSU

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's actually quite obvious no one gives a shit about Big 12 WBB, because I saw someone say Schaefer shouldn't be Naismith COY semifinalist because he "ran a top 5 team into the ground" 

are you kidding me nick kroll GIF

Well if that idiot did a minute of research he would know Vic was managing the most injury riddled team of his career. No coach would have been able to keep the team in the top 5 with the available roster and it’s a testament to his coaching abilities that they are still in the top 15 and will host tournament games 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well if that idiot did a minute of research he would know Vic was managing the most injury riddled team of his career. No coach would have been able to keep the team in the top 5 with the available roster and it’s a testament to his coaching abilities that they are still in the top 15 and will host tournament games 

The big problem is we have a bad TV deal and if you aren’t a top 10 team no one pays attention to you. They just see where we started and how we finished and assumed we didn’t live up to expectations, not dealing with 5 months of injuries 

On 3/6/2023 at 5:55 PM, Js1 said:

*wheezing*

Garlic is well known to refs and the ref bosses as being a major bitch. I gave her a T when she was at WTAMU. When UT-Arlington was in the Sun Belt, she’d get a T nearly every other game. Our ref boss told us to T her up any time and fuck the warnings lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Garlic is well known to refs and the ref bosses as being a major bitch. I gave her a T when she was at WTAMU. When UT-Arlington was in the Sun Belt, she’d get a T nearly every other game. Our ref boss told us to T her up any time and fuck the warnings lol

She got T'd up last night too.  

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Sonya is still out for this game and Sundell might be hurt for KSU

We beat them in Manhattan by 28 without Sonya.  Sundell went for 12 points, 6 assists, 2 boards, 3 steals and 1 block

Doesn't sound pretty for KSU if she's hobbled or can't go

Ok State wins 62-61

I don’t think Andrea Lloyd knows the bracket bc she was asking Hoyt about how they beat OU. They still have to play a semifinal tomorrow to (maybe) face OU in the finals 

Edited by Js1