Help me on where to move (remote work)

Js1

My job is on the verge of going full remote (Houston/Denver based) and/or the possibility of transitioning to a new position that is fully remote and based out Raleigh. 

My firm is pretty flexible - they just require you to live in a state that an office exists in so they can pay you.  Otherwise, it's a whole thing with setting up an LLC and they don't want to do that. 

My hard requirements

• Top 50 in population
  • Blue or purple state
  • Affordable COL (i.e., cheaper than somewhere like Denver)
  • Proximity to a major international airport that is a Southwest and American Airlines hub

My main options/preferences so far are:

• Toronto (pipedream, would have to have the firm/Toronto office sponsor me for a work visa and is the highest COL of the choices, but going abroad would be fun)
  • Detroit
  • Seattle
  • Portland
  • Minneapolis
  • Philadelphia

Any other suggestions?  Thoughts on the above? 

Help me Surly, you're my only (lol not really) hope. 

Is Seattle (or Portland even) really lower COL than Denver or Toronto? 

I like the idea of a Detroit renaissance, or... the "for next to nothing, buy up a property in the center of a major American city with culture and history" idea but I bet the reality is rough. I like the idea of Philly too. But I don't know anything at all so I don't know why I'm replying. You looking to be downtown, in city neighborhoods, in the nearby burbs?

*edit*

fuck the phillies tho

Edited by Celery Man
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

No non-CONUS options?

The time zones kind of rule that out - trust me, if that was an option, my ass would be putting in for Paris or Berlin

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I like the idea of a Detroit renaissance, or... the "for next to nothing, buy up a property in the center of a major American city with culture and history" idea but I bet the reality is rough. I like the idea of Philly too. But I don't know anything at all so I don't know why I'm replying. You looking to be downtown, in city neighborhoods, in the nearby burbs?

*edit*

fuck the phillies tho

Fuck the Philies.

I like to be in the city, or city-adjacent.  Think like, inner loop of Houston - within 15-20 min of being downtown with ease.

I have a friend who moved from Austin to some part of Jersey that's outside Philadelphia. It looked amazing - huge house on huge lot with hills and  giant trees and a pond and shit.  Pictures in winter snow looked particularly idyllic.

He moved to Connecticut as fast as he could - couldn't stand the people.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I have a friend who moved from Austin to some part of Jersey that's outside Philadelphia. It looked amazing - huge house on huge lot with hills and  giant trees and a pond and shit.  Pictures in winter snow looked particularly idyllic.

Was someone watching the house too?

37 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think Seattle may be more expensive than Denver these days.  Those would be my two choices on the list (or their outlying areas).  The winters in some of those other places would be too brutal for me, with the combination that places like Philly and Detroit just don't appeal to me.

I've actually been to all these places . All have thier values and charms.

Detroit Undervalued. Great City on the Rebound. Affordable and a reviving art, music food scene. Canada is right there. Would live there for a few years. Fuck the Haters.

Seattle Amazing if you can deal with the weather. Would live there for a few years.

Portland Meh

Minneapolis Beautuful city with lots of Growth. Cold Af winters.

Philadelphia. Meh , I'd live there because you're a short train ride to DC, NYC, and a quick drive to Bucks Co etc, upstate NY. I'd rather just go all in on NYC.

I like to live by the ocean or near it so I'm biased.

Cincinnati would be an area I would invest in; the Kentucky side is pretty cool and hip; lots of music festivals and cheap. I could hang there for a bit.
Milwaukee as well, but less so Imo.

Midwest can be nice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

My job is on the verge of going full remote (Houston/Denver based) and/or the possibility of transitioning to a new position that is fully remote and based out Raleigh. 

My firm is pretty flexible - they just require you to live in a state that an office exists in so they can pay you.  Otherwise, it's a whole thing with setting up an LLC and they don't want to do that. 

My hard requirements

• Top 50 in population
  • Blue or purple state
  • Proximity to a major international airport that is a Southwest and American Airlines hub

• Toronto (pipedream, would have to have the firm/Toronto office sponsor me for a work visa and is the highest COL of the choices, but going abroad would be fun)
  • Detroit
  • Seattle
  • Portland
  • Minneapolis
  • Philadelphia

If you can do Toronto do it, but yeah lots of issues getting to the finish line. Will your company even allow it, can you get a Visa?

Seattle and Portland are no more affordable than Denver.

So now you’re down to Detroit, Minneapolis, and Philadelphia.

They only other cities that fit your “needs” (other than maybe the airport part) are Baltimore, Milwaukee, Albuquerque, and Sacramento  

9 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Cincinnati would be an area I would invest in; the Kentucky side is pretty cool and hip; lots of music festivals and cheap. I could hang there for a bit.

I won’t live in Ohio and I sure as hell won’t live in Kentucky. 

9 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Out of all those, Denver would be my first choice and there wouldn't be a close 2nd.

Already did 2 years in Denver. Wasn’t for me

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

If you can do Toronto do it, but yeah lots of issues getting to the finish line. Will your company even allow it, can you get a Visa?

the million dollar question that may get answered today!

I've been to Tornoto three times, and I love that town.  But all three times were in the summer with temps in the 70s, maybe low 80s, and sunny skies.  I'm not sure I could handle the long winters, but that doesn't bother a lot of folks, obviously including the 3 million people who live there. 

Each time I stayed in Yorkville, which is just north of the University of Toronto.  I might not be able to afford a one-room efficiency in that part of town.

Edited by South Austin

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

My hard requirements

• Top 50 in population
  • Blue or purple state

• Detroit
  • Seattle
  • Portland
  • Minneapolis
  • Philadelphia

How about Fort Collins?  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mycox said:

Have you considered Washington DC?

Chicago and Boston are also worth looking into. Weather sucks November - March though.

DC and Boston COL is ridiculous.  Like, I've been doing some searching on Zillow/Redfin.  My filters get a lot of hits in Seattle, Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Minneapolis.  Boston and DC - nada.  0 matches haha

I didn’t enjoy Detroit much at all. Fuck Philly in general, but it has some cool spots you’d probably like (bar and restaurant scenes). Not familiar with the rest, but I’d pick Toronto, then Denver (I know not for you) then the rest, probably Philly in 3rd.   I’ve lived in Boston. It’s cool. It’s Blue, but not the same type of blue.  Spent about 35% of my time over the last 2 years in DC area, it’s ok. Very hot and humid in summer (returning to Houston was a reprieve) and the traffic is lol fuck. But the area was very nice.  

23 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Its very, very rural out there. I did a project at that nuke plant down there and it felt like I was in Fourchon or something.   From Atlantic City, down to the river, and then back to PA was very rural.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, YChang said:

Why not Durham/Chapel Hill if Raleigh isn’t your thing?

Cousin and her husband live in Durham and love it. I’m thinking about it especially once my company’s new campus opens near Raleigh.

I think I'd hate living around so many Dookies though. 

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Very hot and humid in summer (returning to Houston was a reprieve) and the traffic is lol fuck. But the area was very nice.  

Nothing about this makes me want to go to DC, lol.  

21 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I've actually been to all these places . All have thier values and charms.

Detroit Undervalued. Great City on the Rebound. Affordable and a reviving art, music food scene. Canada is right there. Would live there for a few years. Fuck the Haters.

Seattle Amazing if you can deal with the weather. Would live there for a few years.

Portland Meh

Minneapolis Beautuful city with lots of Growth. Cold Af winters.

Philadelphia. Meh , I'd live there because you're a short train ride to DC, NYC, and a quick drive to Bucks Co etc, upstate NY. I'd rather just go all in on NYC.

I like to live by the ocean or near it so I'm biased.

Midwest can be nice.

Repping you for saying something nice about Detroit instead of the same tired old trope. It's not Chicago but it's not the Gaza strip, either. 

OP by proximity to AA/SW hub do you mean via 45 minutes flight to Chicago? Because DTW certainly isn't that. Delta yes. 

I think what/where you will enjoy is more about you than the location itself. What kind of stuff do you like to do? Family, etc. Do you like being social or are you a loner. That sort of thing. But if you have any questions about the Detroit area I'm happy to help. 

On 10/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Probably Cherry Hill. Princeton seems like a better town to me.

Maybe Boston would be an option for JS.

10 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Repping you for saying something nice about Detroit instead of the same tired old trope. It's not Chicago but it's not the Gaza strip, either. 

OP by proximity to AA/SW hub do you mean via 45 minutes flight to Chicago? Because DTW certainly isn't that. Delta yes. 

I think what/where you will enjoy is more about you than the location itself. What kind of stuff do you like to do? Family, etc. Do you like being social or are you a loner. That sort of thing. But if you have any questions about the Detroit area I'm happy to help. 

I like being social. But like low key social, I’m not a party animal. Watching sports, playing board games, dog parks. 

Single, no family, mid-30s. 

My main domestic travel is via SW and my main international travel is via AA/OneWorld

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't ski/snowboard and I hiked like once or twice a year. 

I like being social. But like low key social, I’m not a party animal. Watching sports, playing board games, dog parks. 

Single, no family, mid-30s.

A basement studio anywhere will do.

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Good food, very pretty area, loaded with history.  Lots of diversity.  Can be lots of places quickly.  But yeah, the Wx and traffic are not very desirable.  

Why did you rule out Chicago? 

I don’t think I did. i meant to include it. It’s an option 

Edited by Js1

Chicago for me if Denver is out. Nowhere else on that list sounds interesting in the least bit. We go several times a year and prefer it over NYC and the other big cities. We’ve toyed with the idea of buying a condo downtown and spending the summers there after getting out of south Florida, but I can’t decide.

What about some of the California areas? 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I think I'd hate living around so many Dookies though. 

You'll be more annoyed by dookies in the New Jersey suburbs than you will be in RTP. Annoyed by Carolina fans, on the other hand...

I would encourage you to give some thought to the daily benefits (if any) of being in the same time zone as your head office versus being behind - that may be a factor to consider. 

Chicago if you don't mind being inside all winter. Great city only thing that is negative about it is the winters, which cannot be understated how bad they are. It's a no fun type of winter. 

San Diego if you actually want to like your life year round. (save the cost of living bullshit it's not that expensive) 

Minneapolis if you are a broke bitch who wants to live in the burbs and have city things but don't want to actually live in a city. 

Everywhere else on your list is pretty terrible to live in and the whole "Denver wasn't for me" thing makes you seem like you suck, because Denver is awesome by every measure of what makes cities awesome. 

Detroit area is cool, but it would suck to live there unless you had a winter snowbird plan. It's also not as cheap as you think at first glance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I didn’t enjoy Detroit much at all. Fuck Philly in general, but it has some cool spots you’d probably like (bar and restaurant scenes). Not familiar with the rest, but I’d pick Toronto, then Denver (I know not for you) then the rest, probably Philly in 3rd.   I’ve lived in Boston. It’s cool. It’s Blue, but not the same type of blue.  Spent about 35% of my time over the last 2 years in DC area, it’s ok. Very hot and humid in summer (returning to Houston was a reprieve) and the traffic is lol fuck. But the area was very nice.  

Its very, very rural out there. I did a project at that nuke plant down there and it felt like I was in Fourchon or something.   From Atlantic City, down to the river, and then back to PA was very rural.  

Yeah, I thought the sliver of PA north of Philly and south Jersey looked really nice.  I'm kind of surprised the people are noxious. A lot of CT is that way too.  I don't think they are cheap, though.

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everywhere else on your list is pretty terrible to live in and the whole "Denver wasn't for me" thing makes you seem like you suck

You seem reasonable. The Surly way - if you don’t like what I like, you suck!

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You seem reasonable. The Surly way - if you don’t like what I like, you suck!

I mean your scathing review of Denver was "I don't ski and I hike once a year" which has little to nothing to do with what makes Denver great. Is there other reasons that you don't like Denver other than you don't actually like cool cities? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Chicago if you don't mind being inside all winter. Great city only thing that is negative about it is the winters, which cannot be understated how bad they are. It's a no fun type of winter.

Minneapolis if you are a broke bitch who wants to live in the burbs and have city things but don't want to actually live in a city.

And I'd think that Minneapolis winters are just as bad if not worse than Chicago.  I was in southwest Minnesota for a Christmas family reunion as a kid, and I remember it being God awful. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And I'd think that Minneapolis winters are just as bad if not worse than Chicago.  I was in southwest Minnesota for a Christmas family reunion as a kid, and I remember it being God awful. 

Different.  More cold, less wind.  More ice, less snow. Plenty of all both places, but relative.   

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We have an extra bedroom that isn't being used here in Waco. We'd let you stay for $2k/month but no gay activities allowed and if the dog wants on your bed you have to allow it.

...Ok ok gay activities allowed, but not when the wife is around.

So SimonBolivar is clearly offering to engage in gay activities during period of tenancy as long as the wife is gone.  I think we're done here, Js1.  Enjoy Waco.  I hear they have a Whole Foods now.

• Haha 2

Everyone is different but for me, personally, Midwest winters are not that bad until February. February sucks and March is even worse because you're thinking it should be Spring, and you get a 60 degree sunny day and think you're out of the woods and then you have 6 more weeks of 40 degree temps. A vacation to somewhere sunny is a must in Feb/March. Can't beat summer and fall, though, and it's fun to actually see some white stuff into and around the Holidays. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I think Chicago is worse. It's windier, wetter and not as sunny I believe. 

That said - fuck that shit either way. 

On 10/31/2022 at 1:05 PM, Js1 said:

My hard requirements

• Top 50 in population
  • Blue or purple state

• Detroit
  • Seattle
  • Portland
  • Minneapolis
  • Philadelphia

If you like living within 15-20 minutes of downtown, Seattle is going to be super expensive and riddled with zombie junkies. Weather is amazing July through September and sucks the remainder of the year. The days are super short during the fall/winter months with very little sunshine. The PNW is an amazing place to visit during the summertime, but a horrible place to live year-round. I worked up there for about three years and could hardly wait to get on the plane home on Friday afternoon in every month except the summer months mentioned above.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I thought the sliver of PA north of Philly and south Jersey looked really nice.  I'm kind of surprised the people are noxious. A lot of CT is that way too.  I don't think they are cheap, though.

I wouldn’t say noxious. Just poor and rural.  A mix between farms and just not pot to piss in poor. No matter what time I left, I got stuck behind a school bus. Most of the kids along the highway there were black, rural kids.  I don’t know what demographic owned the farms. It reminded me a lot of like, Wharton/Bay city.     The area was very pretty (unlike Wharton/Bay city).   I like how they hide everything off the highways behind trees. You think your in the middle of nowhere, but just off the highway there’s entire towns hidden by trees.