Help me on where to move (remote work)

Js1

• Texas-type summers are out.  I hope to only deal with one more in my life and then be gone.  So miss me with anything in the southern US where it's 100+ degrees for 4 consecutive months or anything humid AF in the summer (DC)
  • Cold/snow isn't an issue.  I preferred the Denver winters over Houston summers, no question.  Give me 4+ months of winter over the fucking blastfurnace.  My dog also cannot handle this heat anymore. 
  • Continental time zones aren't an issue.  My work is central and mountain time.  No issue with delays, per my bosses.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

And I'd think that Minneapolis winters are just as bad if not worse than Chicago.  I was in southwest Minnesota for a Christmas family reunion as a kid, and I remember it being God awful. 

I lived in Milwaukee for a winter and it was always 10 degrees or so colder in Minneapolis. I kept thinking, "How is that even possible"? That's a nah for me, bro.

8 minutes ago, royiv said:

Of the options you listed, Philadelphia is the only one that checks off all of your hard requirements. It could lose one of your hard requirements after next Tuesday so you should probably keep an eye on the election results.

Oh I am

• Texas-type summers are out.  I hope to only deal with one more in my life and then be gone.  So miss me with anything in the southern US where it's 100+ degrees for 4 consecutive months or anything humid AF in the summer (DC)
  • Cold/snow isn't an issue.  I preferred the Denver winters over Houston summers, no question.  Give me 4+ months of winter over the fucking blastfurnace.  My dog also cannot handle this heat anymore. 
  • Continental time zones aren't an issue.  My work is central and mountain time.  No issue with delays, per my bosses.

You might consider the Baltimore area.

Seattle isn’t anywhere close to lower COL than Denver.

Based on your criteria you don’t seem to mind winter weather, I think Philadelphia checks a lot of boxes for you. Cool town, just hide from Eagles fans 17 days a year. AA hub. Urban. Affordable, certainly relative to the rest of the northeast and similar to slightly lower COL than the Denver bar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:51 AM, Js1 said:

Chicago or Minneapolis.

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

Tennessee a no-go

Good plan, this state’s f-d at this point especially with the addition of the people that are moving in every day. We’re doubling down on political tendencies. As soon as our youngest graduates, we’re moving on.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:51 AM, Js1 said:

So miss me with anything in the southern US where it's 100+ degrees for 4 consecutive months

Welp, close the book on Oklahoma City, I suppose.

All kidding aside, I'd go along with the others that are suggesting Chicago. Such a cool place, at least it was when I visited 25+ years ago. 

Edited by Sandman

32 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Stay out of Minnesota Kthx

Yes chicago is cool. Traffic absolutely sucks

If Chicago is a choice, I would think Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee, and Madison would be choices as well. What I find funny is that I would look for the exact opposite kind of town - something like 1990 Austin. I loved Tuscon, but it has probably grown since I was there last. Madison is too cold. Coastal towns in California but they are poor choices for COL. Santa Fe maybe but COL isn't great and no economy.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, fattyflattie said:

I wouldn’t say noxious. Just poor and rural.  A mix between farms and just not pot to piss in poor. No matter what time I left, I got stuck behind a school bus. Most of the kids along the highway there were black, rural kids.  I don’t know what demographic owned the farms. It reminded me a lot of like, Wharton/Bay city.     The area was very pretty (unlike Wharton/Bay city).   I like how they hide everything off the highways behind trees. You think your in the middle of nowhere, but just off the highway there’s entire towns hidden by trees. 

+1 but I can see Hartford working for @Js1.  Not cheaper than Denver but probably not far off.  Decent airport, hour-45-minute drive to Boston.  Farmington is nice if you don't want to live in town.

On 11/2/2022 at 6:37 AM, immamac said:

San Diego if you actually want to like your life year round. (save the cost of living bullshit it's not that expensive) 

Everywhere else on your list is pretty terrible to live in and the whole "Denver wasn't for me" thing makes you seem like you suck, because Denver is awesome by every measure of what makes cities awesome.

Yep, if I ever left Texas could pick anywhere in the US these are the places I would consider (West to East):

Kauai
San Diego
Sacramento/Tahoe
Spokane
Colorado (Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs)
North Carolina Research Triangle
Maine

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yep, if I ever left Texas could pick anywhere in the US these are the places I would consider (West to East):

Kauai
San Diego
Sacramento/Tahoe
Spokane
Colorado (Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs)
North Carolina Research Triangle
Maine

I’m up for 2 different positions, one fully remote and one hybrid out of Raleigh. So research triangle may now become an option 

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m up for 2 different positions, one fully remote and one hybrid out of Raleigh. So research triangle may now become an option 

I lived in Raleigh for only two years, and it was a long time ago (1992-1994), but it's a great area (went back for a work trip in 2016), and it's on my list if ever leave Austin. 

Politically, I recall North Carolina being pretty red when I was there (I grew up about half of my childhood on the NC coast), but it's hard to tell where it's heading right now.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I looked to move there about 15 years ago and it was awesome. So much to do and close to so many different places/activities.  Got side tracked to Houston and have felt like I missed out since.... but it's on my next list.

Providence RI or Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh’s nightlife is a little on the youngish side though, worse than Austin. Providence has great access to Boston/NYC and Newport in the summer is amazing.

Edit: beware, both places have some of the worst accents in the nation.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, Bevo said:

If Chicago is a choice, I would think Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee, and Madison would be choices as well.

I spent a few days in Cincinnati during the Summer of 2019- had an absolute blast and would definitely consider living there for a few years if I was looking to move. Awesome town.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, Da Fino said:

What about Madison?

I would second this, although it is short on the Top 50 population req, if you count its surrounding communities (Madison didn't annex large swaths of land) it is over 600,000 I think. We lived in Madison but most people can't tell where the city limits for say, Fitchburg, start and Madison stops.

It does get cold but I never had any trouble getting around in the winter to work or the store etc. It's got a vibrant scene for music, sports, art, and foodies with the University and Capitol being right there. Airport was smaller, but easy to use and Chicago/Milwaukee not that far. The city is much more liberal than the rest of the rural areas, but you get a lot of that these days. We left for work reasons, but enjoyed our time there. (I don't mind the cold, though)

On 10/31/2022 at 11:26 AM, Celery Man said:

Is Seattle (or Portland even) really lower COL than Denver or Toronto? 

I like the idea of a Detroit renaissance, or... the "for next to nothing, buy up a property in the center of a major American city with culture and history" idea but I bet the reality is rough. I like the idea of Philly too. But I don't know anything at all so I don't know why I'm replying. You looking to be downtown, in city neighborhoods, in the nearby burbs?

*edit*

fuck the phillies tho

I may be looking at Philly as well.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:07 PM, Born to Run said:

I've actually been to all these places . All have thier values and charms.

Detroit Undervalued. Great City on the Rebound. Affordable and a reviving art, music food scene. Canada is right there. Would live there for a few years. Fuck the Haters.

Seattle Amazing if you can deal with the weather. Would live there for a few years.

Portland Meh

Minneapolis Beautuful city with lots of Growth. Cold Af winters.

Philadelphia. Meh , I'd live there because you're a short train ride to DC, NYC, and a quick drive to Bucks Co etc, upstate NY. I'd rather just go all in on NYC.

I like to live by the ocean or near it so I'm biased.

Cincinnati would be an area I would invest in; the Kentucky side is pretty cool and hip; lots of music festivals and cheap. I could hang there for a bit.
Milwaukee as well, but less so Imo.

Midwest can be nice.

I get the "may as well live in the NYC metro if you're going to Philly" train of thought, but I think NYC is literally twice as expensive as Philly.  

I wasn't much of a fan of Minneapolis.  I'd probably pick Denver..

On 10/31/2022 at 11:54 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

I have a friend who moved from Austin to some part of Jersey that's outside Philadelphia. It looked amazing - huge house on huge lot with hills and  giant trees and a pond and shit.  Pictures in winter snow looked particularly idyllic.

He moved to Connecticut as fast as he could - couldn't stand the people.

Really disappointing to hear this.  I guess Philly is out for me now.

On 11/1/2022 at 9:53 AM, mycox said:

Have you considered Washington DC?

Chicago and Boston are also worth looking into. Weather sucks November - March though.

I lived in DC as well.  Loved it and as a single guy, he could probably make it work.  I know he mentioned city adjacent, but a lot of the DMV have little nodes of walkable areas near the train.  It could work.

Chicago may be my favorite US city.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:49 AM, fattyflattie said:

I didn’t enjoy Detroit much at all. Fuck Philly in general, but it has some cool spots you’d probably like (bar and restaurant scenes). Not familiar with the rest, but I’d pick Toronto, then Denver (I know not for you) then the rest, probably Philly in 3rd.   I’ve lived in Boston. It’s cool. It’s Blue, but not the same type of blue.  Spent about 35% of my time over the last 2 years in DC area, it’s ok. Very hot and humid in summer (returning to Houston was a reprieve) and the traffic is lol fuck. But the area was very nice.  

Its very, very rural out there. I did a project at that nuke plant down there and it felt like I was in Fourchon or something.   From Atlantic City, down to the river, and then back to PA was very rural.  

I can't imagine Boston's summers being as intense, or as long as Houstons. 

On 11/2/2022 at 7:13 AM, SimonBolivar said:

We have an extra bedroom that isn't being used here in Waco. We'd let you stay for $2k/month but no gay activities allowed and if the dog wants on your bed you have to allow it.

...Ok ok gay activities allowed, but not when the wife is around.

Chip and Joanne ruined that city.  Waco is so hot right now.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, Js1 said:

Also no I’m done with these summers. I can’t anymore 

That was a reason I left Texas. One reason, but somewhat important.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seattle is way more expensive than it should be for the same reason San Jose (which is a shithole in my opinion) is.  Highly paid professionals competing for housing.  I have to admit I don’t get Seattle but it’s been a while since I visited.  

Parts of LA are fantastic if you’re remote because you can avoid the traffic.  Otherwise not so much.

We went through this exercise a while back and ultimately you have to trust your gut, but make sure you look at the downsides to see if you can accept them.  My choice has high COL, no night life, and no big events, but I am fine with this as it has the widest range of outdoor activities, perfect weather, and really super nice people.  I’ll never live in a big city again and in retrospect I have no idea how I managed to stick in Austin for 30 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Seattle is way more expensive than it should be for the same reason San Jose (which is a shithole in my opinion) is.  Highly paid professionals competing for housing.  I have to admit I don’t get Seattle but it’s been a while since I visited.  

Parts of LA are fantastic if you’re remote because you can avoid the traffic.  Otherwise not so much.

We went through this exercise a while back and ultimately you have to trust your gut, but make sure you look at the downsides to see if you can accept them.  My choice has high COL, no night life, and no big events, but I am fine with this as it has the widest range of outdoor activities, perfect weather, and really super nice people.  I’ll never live in a big city again and in retrospect I have no idea how I managed to stick in Austin for 30 years.

I did leave Seattle for LA, and some of me regret it.  There's this energy there that's hard to explain and it's freaking gorgeous!! Is it damp?  yep.  That's why you take advantage of the 4-5 months when the weather is great and the surrounding area has a lot of things to do.  

Seattle is a tight, compact city so everything is focused there.  I think you're in Monterrey?  That area is hard to beat as well.  To each their own.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, Js1 said:

Raleigh is nice and very much not weird. Food halls are cool though. Dookies or not, Durham is probably where you'd want to be. Carrboro if you want to skew more granola/academic than hip. I see more NC State than UNC or Duke, but I'm in Wake Forest which is a nice small town that has been rapidly engulfed by suburban developments.

If it's past 10pm the only option for dine in food is Waffle House. If you're like me and still think of Austin as a small city (compared to the Houston or Dallas that you came from) it can fuck you up to realize how small the big cities in some other states are. Raleigh metro is ~half the size of Austin. Charlotte is the bigger city and is smaller than Fort Worth.

Very pretty area though. 4 hours to mountains, 2 hours to beach, we're in the foothills with forest everywhere and it peaks in the mid 90s in summer.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

Definitely true, and rural has a much more "backwoods" feel than Texas. Also, Raleigh is blue but a different flavor of blue than a place like Austin or more liberal enclaves. I think it's true in that there's maybe more Biden than Bernie (to use a very rough way to describe things) in general and also in that a lot of the blue comes from a sizable African American population that is not the same as either DSA students or old neighborhood granola nimbys. Maybe as an example, Wake Forest (again, very burb think Buda or maybe Georgetown) feels pretty red to me but is actually very purple.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Definitely true, and rural has a much more "backwoods" feel than Texas. Also, Raleigh is blue but a different flavor of blue than a place like Austin or more liberal enclaves. I think it's true in that there's maybe more Biden than Bernie (to use a very rough way to describe things) in general and also in that a lot of the blue comes from a sizable African American population that is not the same as either DSA students or old neighborhood granola nimbys. Maybe as an example, Wake Forest (again, very burb think Buda or maybe Georgetown) feels pretty red to me but is actually very purple.

I would think WF is more blue because of the university but not all college towns are blue I guess.  And yes, Austin's blue is more aligned with Portland, Seattle, etc than say Birmingham and Laredo, although I think some of the border counties went red.  Ok, enough of that before we go CR.  And agree with backwoods, NC is the real south.