Help me on where to move (remote work)

Js1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Flagstaff this weekend in Northern AZ that might be worth looking at. State is purple now, the area gets all 4 seasons, but tough to find starter housing that hasn't been snagged up by Airbnbs. Can probably find something nice up there if you're in the established part of your career (I forget how old you are).

Been living in Scottsdale the last 7 months, the high rates caused some pretty massive cuts to what was an insanely hot market, but doesn't meet your summer weather requirements. (My opinion is Texas summers are worst in nation, but have never been to Miami). AZ property taxes are pretty much nonexistent.

Lived in Chicago for 3 years post grad. Loved it. Winter sucks but it didn't stop me from going out as everything is walkable. Have a February birthday and it was -20 wind chill twice and still managed to go out. Chicago is surprisingly affordable, its the Lakeshore Drive condo HOAs that are 600-700 dollar that put a damper on the wallet.

I'm going to spend some time in a few more cities before I potentially just do Chicago half the year, and somewhere else half. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/31/2022 at 11:05 AM, Js1 said:

My job is on the verge of going full remote (Houston/Denver based) and/or the possibility of transitioning to a new position that is fully remote and based out Raleigh. 

My firm is pretty flexible - they just require you to live in a state that an office exists in so they can pay you.  Otherwise, it's a whole thing with setting up an LLC and they don't want to do that. 

Have you seen the South Dakota options for remote workers?

On 11/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Have you seen the South Dakota options for remote workers?

I'll chime in.  Some are pro's and some are con's.

Zero income tax.  Property and gas taxes are relatively low.

Rapid City has all kindsa outdoor recreation options.  And relatively mild winters.  Deadwood for fun is very underrated.

Basically no Covid rules last time, and likely the same next time.

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Rapid City has all kindsa outdoor recreation options.  And relatively mild winters.  Deadwood for fun is very underrated.

You didn't list the biggest con which is that it's South Dakota. Second biggest con is the batshit crazy governor.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

South Dakota - stay for the COVID, don't leave because you got COVID. 

On 10/31/2022 at 1:05 PM, Js1 said:

My hard requirements

• Top 50 in population
  • Blue or purple state
  • Affordable COL (i.e., cheaper than somewhere like Denver)
  • Proximity to a major international airport that is a Southwest and American Airlines hub

On 11/21/2022 at 12:54 PM, Js1 said:

Yeah no, fuck those summers 

Atlanta:

#8 Metro Area

Biden, Ossoff, Warnock

Significantly cheaper than Denver, comparable to Austin

Southwest Hub, international as fuck airport

Significantly less hot in the summer than in Las Vegas, Austin

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

The South Dakota option doesn’t mean you actually live there. You show up one day every 5 years and have a forwarding address while claiming no state income tax wherever you decide to go since you’re a South Dakota resident.

I could never say I'm a resident of South Dakota even if there are tax benefits.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Atlanta:
#8 Metro Area
Biden, Ossoff, Warnock
I don't think Austin is materially cheaper than Denver anymore. It used to be, but not now.

I know it’s not top 50 population in cities, and the airport only has direct flights to a few cities, but Portland, Maine is on my bug out list. And if the Texas Legislature goes full retard next year, I may just go ahead and pull the trigger on moving on up there. 

• Like 2

I moved from TX to Minneapolis in my early 30's and never looked back, but it's definitely not for everyone.  Winters can suck for sure, but tbh the weather has been a net gain over Austin for me.  You get 4 legit seasons, and the summers are absolutely amazing. 

You haven't said enough about your likes and dislikes for any of us to really know, but in general the people who tend to like the Twin Cities are outdoors nuts. There are parks, bike paths, and lakes everywhere and- for the hearty among us- plenty of ways to enjoy winter activities (ice fishing, fat biking, nordic skiing, snowshoeing). The sports scene is good (variety if not quality) and the food and beer scene is great. For living, single 30 somethings typically get drawn to the North Loop and Mill District areas, which have absolutely exploded with apartments and condos over the past 10 years.

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

I moved from TX to Minneapolis in my early 30's and never looked back, but it's definitely not for everyone.  Winters can suck for sure, but tbh the weather has been a net gain over Austin for me.  You get 4 legit seasons, and the summers are absolutely amazing. 

You haven't said enough about your likes and dislikes for any of us to really know, but in general the people who tend to like the Twin Cities are outdoors nuts. There are parks, bike paths, and lakes everywhere and- for the hearty among us- plenty of ways to enjoy winter activities (ice fishing, fat biking, nordic skiing, snowshoeing). The sports scene is good (variety if not quality) and the food and beer scene is great. For living, single 30 somethings typically get drawn to the North Loop and Mill District areas, which have absolutely exploded with apartments and condos over the past 10 years.

Legit question: are there any good Public Schools? The GreatSchools ratings on places I’ve looked online are … not great. Does everyone send kids to private schools? Or do I just not know where to look I that area?

I’ve also identified Minneapolis as a possible bug out locale, but I’ve got three kids under 10 who I need to think about. 

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Legit question: are there any good Public Schools? The GreatSchools ratings on places I’ve looked online are … not great. Does everyone send kids to private schools? Or do I just not know where to look I that area?

I’ve also identified Minneapolis as a possible bug out locale, but I’ve got three kids under 10 who I need to think about. 

A lot of schools around here take a hit in those rankings because of the disparity between the haves and have-nots.  

Public schools in Minneapolis and St Paul proper are hit or miss (mostly miss), but there are some very good districts in the metro. Mostly the west metro (Wayzata, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Orono). Other good ones include Edina, Mounds View (mine, though I send my kids private), and Mahtomedi. 

Like I said, we've opted (for reasons beyond just academic) for private school, and there are a lot of good options there.  

I know it’s not top 50 population in cities, and the airport only has direct flights to a few cities, but Portland, Maine is on my bug out list. And if the Texas Legislature goes full retard next year, I may just go ahead and pull the trigger on moving on up there. 

A buddy of mine lives there and loves it. For a small city, the food and beer scene hits well above its weight class. He said there’s easy train access to Boston. I’d assume you could hop that and fly anywhere from Logan.

Tulsa is the answer.  I had post golf drinks with a retired Fortune 500 Exec there.  He said that Tulsa is just such an easy place to live.  The fact that it is a major American Airlines maintenance base seems to give it more direct flights to DFW and ORD than you would expect.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, TexasHooch said:

My work tried to get me to do this and offered a lot of money to move to Golden Valley/Minneapolis and we seriously considered it. Made a couple of trips, scouted real estate, downtown, etc.

Ultimately, I couldn't do it because of the weather and my wife and I just didn't want to live in such cold conditions. Also if you like a really progressive city, MSP is definitely a place to consider.

I now work for another company, in some part because of this, but like you, I have no regrets.

To the OP I'd say it's worth the investment to go and stay and shop and generally move around a city you are thinking of relocating to and get your own feel for it rather than just doing it. Scout it out.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, chainsaw said:

Atlanta:

#8 Metro Area

Biden, Ossoff, Warnock

There isn’t a large enough check that someone could write me to live in metro Atlanta. Interstate traffic is an f-ing nightmare and I don’t know of another City that compares. It doesn’t matter what time you try to go through Atlanta, it’s a cluster. There are several areas around there I would consider, but the other problem with Atlanta is the best places are north and northeast, the airport is south/southwest if you do any significant traveling.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brew said:

There isn’t a large enough check that someone could write me to live in metro Atlanta. Interstate traffic is an f-ing nightmare and I don’t know of another City that compares. It doesn’t matter what time you try to go through Atlanta, it’s a cluster. There are several areas around there I would consider, but the other problem with Atlanta is the best places are north and northeast, the airport is south/southwest if you do any significant traveling.

People live there for a reason though. Maybe they know how to get around more efficiently

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

People live there for a reason though. Maybe they know how to get around more efficiently

It's because it's the capital of the South and the biggest economic center and employment hub of good to great paying jobs.

I wouldn't move to Atlanta proper because it's scary at night, but you can work remote and live in the suburbs or live in Buckhead (and hope that Buckhead emancipates as it has been trying to do) and you will enjoy it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:34 AM, Js1 said:

I’m up for 2 different positions, one fully remote and one hybrid out of Raleigh. So research triangle may now become an option 

On 11/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, South Austin said:

I lived in Raleigh for only two years, and it was a long time ago (1992-1994), but it's a great area (went back for a work trip in 2016), and it's on my list if ever leave Austin. 

Politically, I recall North Carolina being pretty red when I was there (I grew up about half of my childhood on the NC coast), but it's hard to tell where it's heading right now.

Here's what I know about Raleigh:

It's where you have to go if you can't get what you need up in Mt. Pilot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Brew said:

North side has some of the largest sprawl I’ve ever seen. I don’t know what they do for work (5-7 years ago) before staying home was a thing, but it seemed like you could drive for an hour and always be in a residential area.  I live in Houston’s west side sprawl and it felt like it didn’t touch it.  Very nice area though. Very nice. 

7 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I’m sure they do, the City still sucks to travel in. People live everywhere for a reason, they find ways to deal with the negatives or they move on to a place that offers more positives. Atlanta is the premier southern city, but if I can go anywhere I want in the country it’s not on the list.

I have a partner that lives in Braselton, buddies all over the North side, and am in/through Atlanta 10-12 times a year. You better really like traffic is and was my original point. Other large cities have traffic but it dissipates at times, Atlanta is never ending traffic from the Stockbridge split, past Marietta and either direction East/West. Couple that with living on the North side but having to fly out of the south side and it makes it worse. People I know on the extreme North side will fly out of Chattanooga just to avoid having to go South.

15 hours ago, Brew said:

I’m sure they do, the City still sucks to travel in. People live everywhere for a reason, they find ways to deal with the negatives or they move on to a place that offers more positives. Atlanta is the premier southern city, but if I can go anywhere I want in the country it’s not on the list.

I have a partner that lives in Braselton, buddies all over the North side, and am in/through Atlanta 10-12 times a year. You better really like traffic is and was my original point. Other large cities have traffic but it dissipates at times, Atlanta is never ending traffic from the Stockbridge split, past Marietta and either direction East/West. Couple that with living on the North side but having to fly out of the south side and it makes it worse. People I know on the extreme North side will fly out of Chattanooga just to avoid having to go South.

If you work from home I don't think commutes are going to bother you very much. A good neighborhood will have everything you need nearby.

16 hours ago, Brew said:

On the other end, I know people who during the pandemic moved out of Atlanta and rented out their places to buy in Chattanooga for cheaper TN land and beauty and commute into Sandy Springs or North Atlanta for meetings a few times a month when meetings or business demands it.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:06 PM, KaiserSoze said:

I spent a few days in Cincinnati during the Summer of 2019- had an absolute blast and would definitely consider living there for a few years if I was looking to move. Awesome town.

Y'all get pissed about beans in chili? Wait 'till you see what they do to it in Cincinnati...

I guess if I was going to work full time remote one of the primary things I would look at might be the ability to rent my primary residence if I wanted to hit the road and travel/work remotely.  If I am just pure remote I am looking for nature and access to more nature.  Likely coastal for me because I like to fish.  If I have the ability to be flexible I am going to take advantage of it.  Likely in an RV part of the time.  But I am an empty nester now.

• 4 weeks later...
Portland is a pain in the ass to fly in and out of. Not many direct flights and the direct flights are pricey.

I lived in Portland for three years. Truly a hell on earth. 44 and rain ten months a year. Low cloud ceiling and majority of women have seasonal affective disorder. Shitty airport. B expensive as fuck.
Great seafood but salt is a spice. Nothing is air conditioned when it gets hot in the summer. Place is full of crazies, Wobblies, anarchists, drug addicts, radicalized homeless. Austin envy.
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I lived in Portland for three years. Truly a hell on earth. 44 and rain ten months a year. Low cloud ceiling and majority of women have seasonal affective disorder. Shitty airport. B expensive as fuck.
Great seafood but salt is a spice. Nothing is air conditioned when it gets hot in the summer. Place is full of crazies, Wobblies, anarchists, drug addicts, radicalized homeless. Austin envy.

This has been my experience almost completely. I'd also add it's impossible to find a decent steakhouse that is not a chain or located within a strip club.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Im curious…what are wobblies?

On 11/22/2022 at 4:12 PM, StassneyHorn said:

The South Dakota option doesn’t mean you actually live there. You show up one day every 5 years and have a forwarding address while claiming no state income tax wherever you decide to go since you’re a South Dakota resident.

Good strategy if you‘re trying to commit tax fraud. 

• Haha 1