Help me on where to move (remote work)

Js1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:09 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I lived in Portland for three years. Truly a hell on earth. 44 and rain ten months a year. Low cloud ceiling and majority of women have seasonal affective disorder. Shitty airport. B expensive as fuck.
Great seafood but salt is a spice. Nothing is air conditioned when it gets hot in the summer. Place is full of crazies, Wobblies, anarchists, drug addicts, radicalized homeless. Austin envy.

I stayed in downtown Portland for a week in summer 2021. I liked seattle more, some areas were gross & sketchy but Portland wasn’t the hellscape warzone everyone told me it’d be. The Pearl district was downright nice & clean actually. Pretty shocking. Weather was great too, didn’t rain once. 

I’ve never seen so many homeless people in my life. The weirdest thing is not one of them ever accosted/asked me for money. They were all pretty docile. Very different from my experience with homeless in other places. Still wouldn’t live there though, not my vibe

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It absolutely is tax fraud.  Your residence is where you reside.  Not where you say you reside.

It’s a van life deal. SD actually allows primary residency to be claimed based on very limited requirements in line with what he typed. The state also says it includes tax residency and advertises the hell out of it as “free state” b.s. The problem you and others bring up is that no other state is going to agree with that and they will follow where the earnings took place, days in state, etc.

I have an 80 year old guy being criminally prosecuted for sales and use tax fraud now because he fell for the SD b.s. and registered his vehicles there. TN is pulling all SD (and a few others) registrations and checking actual residency.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’d rather live there than Houston if I wasn’t concerned about school for my kids. My folks live in Fulton. There is a lot of development and activity down there these days with the Exxon-Sabic joint venture as well as the steel mill expansion (and also work at Ingleside).

Steel Mill, you say?!

image.gif.6d00d5769d30b8b4acab31e16d78ac09.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Brew said:

It’s a van life deal. SD actually allows primary residency to be claimed based on very limited requirements in line with what he typed. The state also says it includes tax residency and advertises the hell out of it as “free state” b.s. The problem you and others bring up is that no other state is going to agree with that and they will follow where the earnings took place, days in state, etc.

I have an 80 year old guy being criminally prosecuted for sales and use tax fraud now because he fell for the SD b.s. and registered his vehicles there. TN is pulling all SD (and a few others) registrations and checking actual residency.

Exactly my point.  Just because SD says you're a resident doesn't mean other states will go along.  The state where you reside very much wants your tax revenue, as you well know.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Exactly my point.  Just because SD says you're a resident doesn't mean other states will go along.  The state where you reside very much wants your tax revenue, as you well know.

Most states base residency on 6 months and a day for reporting total income, but you still get to pay where you work as well. Residency really only matters for unearned income, because your resident state gets that tax. Earned income will tie back to where the services are performed. However, if you were retired, you could spend 3-4 months in a couple of different places plus one day in SD with a SD DL / address and meet SD residency requirements. Then you only pay tax to SD. None of that matters here because he isn’t retired.

However, like most things, don’t take tax advice from some random dude on the internet based on limited information.

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Most states base residency on 6 months and a day for reporting total income, but you still get to pay where you work as well. Residency really only matters for unearned income, because your resident state gets that tax. Earned income will tie back to where the services are performed. However, if you were retired, you could spend 3-4 months in a couple of different places plus one day in SD with a SD DL / address and meet SD residency requirements. Then you only pay tax to SD. None of that matters here because he isn’t retired.

However, like most things, don’t take tax advice from some random dude on the internet based on limited information.

I know of one billionaire with homes all over the US that will send his private jet to Houston empty (and have his pilots put him and his wife on the flight log) so he can make sure he gets his 183 days in Texas.

Surly brain trust — After a few  years in the Research Triangle, I’ll be moving soon for a new job (the company’s RTP office is small and might hinder career opps). Should I move back to Austin or give it a go in Charlotte?

Factors to consider: Married w: no kids, we have family/friends in Austin, closest family to Charlotte is ~3 hrs…

Trying to weigh living somewhere familiar near loved ones vs. trying something new… On paper, the draw to Charlotte is COL, mild weather, moderate political climate and access to the mountains.

Edited by ATXhorn17
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Surly brain trust — After a few  years in the Research Triangle, I’ll be moving soon for a new job (the company’s RTP office is small and might hinder career opps). Should I move back to Austin or give it a go in Charlotte?

Factors to consider: Married w: no kids, we have family/friends in Austin, closest family to Charlotte is ~3 hrs…

Trying to weigh living somewhere familiar near loved ones vs. trying something new… On paper, the draw to Charlotte is COL, mild weather, moderate political climate and access to the mountains.

I’d be hard pressed to pick many souther cities over Austin. Seems like you’re in tech?  That’s Austin.  But Austin iss probably close to twice as expensive as Charlotte in housing

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’d be hard pressed to pick many souther cities over Austin. Seems like you’re in tech?  That’s Austin.  But Austin iss probably close to twice as expensive as Charlotte in housing

Industry isn’t a critical factor. We love Austin, so we’re leaning that way (something to be said for family and familiarity). I think our reservations lie in how much Austin has changed, the heat, and affordability (or lackthereof) of raising a family in a decent neighborhood/school system. Pros and cons to everywhere, I guess.

But transparently, as a late twenties/early thirties couple, I think we’re also spooked at the prospect of moving home, settling down, blinking and being sixty all of a sudden lol…

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Industry isn’t a critical factor. We love Austin, so we’re leaning that way (something to be said for family and familiarity). I think our reservations lie in how much Austin has changed, the heat, and affordability (or lackthereof) of raising a family in a decent neighborhood/school system. Pros and cons to everywhere, I guess.

But transparently, as a late twenties/early thirties couple, I think we’re also spooked at the prospect of moving home, settling down, blinking and being sixty all of a sudden lol…

Austin can’t be THAT much hotter than Charlotte.  But I’ll take the Carolina beaches over Texas.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

On the one hand if you know you love it there, go home. But on the other hand what you fear will absolutely happen. 

5 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Schools in Charlotte suck, but it is a nice town.