Texas at UH in 2023, per Chron

Pancho

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Someone have the article?

UH to open its first year in Big 12 football with home games against TCU and Texas in 2023

The University of Houston will open its inaugural Big 12 season against TCU at TDECU Stadium, and the University of Texas also will pay a visit, two people with knowledge of the 2023 football schedule said.

The two individuals, who have seen a portion of the schedule, spoke to the Houston Chronicle on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it.

Houston is set to join the Big 12, along with Cincinnati, UCF and BYU, next summer to form a 14-team league that will include Texas and Oklahoma.

The complete Big 12 schedule is expected to be released in December. UH’s inaugural schedule is also expected to include a visit from Texas Tech and a road game against Baylor.

Two weeks ago on his weekly radio show, UH coach Dana Holgorsen said he had sat down with Chris Pezman, UH’s vice president for athletics, during the open date in the schedule to discuss the nine-game league schedule. At the time, Holgorsen said he was “sworn to secrecy.”

“What those games look like next year and that schedule that’s about to come out in a couple of weeks, when you see that thing it’s eye-opening to think what the schedule is going to look like next year,” Holgorsen said Monday.

Since the breakup of the Southwest Conference after the 1995 season, UH and TCU have met four times as members of Conference USA and in the Texas Bowl in 2007. UH has played the Longhorns three times during that same span, the last in 2002 in Austin. 

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 1

I haven't really followed this discussion, and I understand it has to do with existing contractual obligations, but its amazing that Texas and OU to the SEC started this recent waive of conference realignment and will be the last two teams to actually leave their conference. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 6

It's an embarrassment that we have to share a conference with UCF, Cougar High, Cougar High (Mormon edition) and Cincinnati even for a year... The Big 12 will do whatever it takes to fuck us and OU in those match ups -- wins for the newcomers will legitimize their programs as P5. Damage the association will do to the Texas brand seems to outweigh whatever we'd pay to exit early.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

It's an embarrassment that we have to share a conference with UCF, Cougar High, Cougar High (Mormon edition) and Cincinnati even for a year... The Big 12 will do whatever it takes to fuck us and OU in those match ups -- wins for the newcomers will legitimize their programs as P5. Damage the association will do to the Texas brand seems to outweigh whatever we'd pay to exit early.

Yeah, losing to any of them will do $80 million or whatever more in brand damage than losing to Kansas, Iowa State, etc!
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ATXhorn17 said:

I wouldn't opposed to paying our buyout and going independent until we move to the SEC. (I know this obviously isn't happening) Could we theoretically come up with a schedule for next season? Including non-conference and most likely still playing OU, we would need to schedule 8 games. 

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, losing to any of them will do $80 million or whatever more in brand damage than losing to Kansas, Iowa State, etc!

Fair, I was being hyperbolic. But prepare to be the laughingstock of college athletics when Sark loses to UCF on the road in primetime (as an example).

Edited by ATXhorn17
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

I wouldn't even be surprised if we somehow have all 4 newcomers on our schedule next year, all coincidentally on the road. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Fair, I was being hyperbolic. But prepare to be the laughingstock of college athletics when Sark loses to UCF on the road in primetime (as an example).

Eh. We’ve already been the laughing stock of college football three or four times in the past 1.67 seasons, let alone the past 12 years. And if you’re not already prepared to be the laughing stock of the nation every time Sark goes on the road, well, that’s on you. It’s just hard for me to get too worked up about it anymore.

I admit that playing in the mutant B12 could dampen my enthusiasm for a year or two because I’m just less interested in playing the newcomers than our existing schedule or an SEC schedule, and the format is stupid. But personally, I was already pretty resigned to having to let the Sark era run it’s predictable course over the next few years, so I’m not sure it even changes that much.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex48 said:

Trying to go independent and build our own schedule sounds better. @NeverMarryAStripper has the right idea. It's time to test our sovereign immunity.

If we’re going to pay to buy 6 teams out of their 2023 obligations and then pay them to come to Austin, we may as well just buy out of the Big 12. Obviously neither are happening 

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So I get negged to oblivion for saying we wouldn’t leave the big 12 until 2025 and it turns out I was right the whole time? Imagine that.

You’re usually wrong 97.6% of the time which means you get something right every now and then. 

I’d go get shitfaced if I were you because you might be right about something big.

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We should just tell the Big 12 we'll be playing in the SEC next year.  They can either negotiate a buyout or we'll see them in court to see how sovereign immunity affects it.  Maybe the Big 12 will get some kind of an exit fee while they still exist and maybe not.

Didn't WVU try that with the Big East when coming to joining the Big 12? I believe they lost and paid more than the normal buyout.  IANAL but I would think sovereign immunity only works when the contract is within the state. 

6 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Didn't WVU try that with the Big East when coming to joining the Big 12? I believe they lost and paid more than the normal buyout.  IANAL but I would think sovereign immunity only works when the contract is within the state. 

If I recall correctly,  the B12 is incorporated in the state of Texas.

So it should be easy peasy.

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I vividly recall Bleacher gate and it sickens me providing revenue to that shit school, but from a W/L perspective, give me UH with 40% Texas fans in attendance vs. something like Cincy in November (although who am I kidding, we'll probably get both).

Wanna feel old? Probably half of our current players weren’t yet alive when Bleachergate happened.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Someone have the article?

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

wait....there's 10 teams in the Big 12 now?

and there gonna add 4 more...and call it the Big 12?

SNL-No-Math Chevy Chase GIF

Interesting.  Are we playing a 13 game schedule with only conference games?

Edited by Bullneck

seems another angle we should have taken regarding this influx of 4 teams to the big 12 next year.

Texas and ou were specifically told we couldnt vote on the expansion.

so if we couldnt vote on the expansion, why the fuck cant we just say that we refuse to play any of the 4 new teams.    take a forfeit and walk away. fuck em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1