Let’s talk crime in America

Satchel

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

GOP has crime, caravan, illegals, and guns on loop. The American people fall for it everytime, while the gop wins races and does nothing to support the people who voted them in.

Nor do anything to solve any of the problems they promise to solve. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

It's maddening. Like this whole narrative that the D's are about to get crushed because inflation, with the "electorate" trusting the R's more on economy than the D's despite the clear track record of R's being irresponsible and cratering the economy and D's bailing them out. Just irrational as hell. We are a hurr durr society.

Selfish stupid society. 

27 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

GOP has crime, caravan, illegals, and guns on loop. The American people fall for it everytime, while the gop wins races and does nothing to support the people who voted them in.

This is true. They also successfully hide the fact that crime is as problematic in red run states and cities as it is anywhere else.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

• The rate of murders in the US has gone up at an alarming rate. But, despite a media narrative to the contrary, this is a problem that afflicts Republican-run cities and states as much or more than the Democratic bastions.
  • In 2020, per capita murder rates were 40% higher in states won by Donald Trump than those won by Joe Biden.
  •  8 of the 10 states with the highest murder rates in 2020 voted for the Republican presidential nominee in every election this century.
  • https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-red-state-murder-problem
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

This is true. They also successfully hide the fact that crime is as problematic in red run states and cities as it is anywhere else.

Yes, and math is hard for some people. Scale, ratios, etc. all the various ways to examine a problem before forming an opinion are absent. So, the politicians know this and play to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Satchel said:
  • The rate of murders in the US has gone up at an alarming rate. But, despite a media narrative to the contrary, this is a problem that afflicts Republican-run cities and states as much or more than the Democratic bastions.
  • In 2020, per capita murder rates were 40% higher in states won by Donald Trump than those won by Joe Biden.
  •  8 of the 10 states with the highest murder rates in 2020 voted for the Republican presidential nominee in every election this century.

You're preaching to the choir here, but putting my tongue firmly in cheek, someone like Tucker would argue completely straight faced that Squeaky Ron flying asylum seekers illegal aliens to Martha's Vineyard was assisting [Texas] due to the high crime they cause in red states. Because that is exactly what Carlson did. Is that logical? No. Does it work with voters? Yes.

It doesn't matter if the crime rate spikes, if your daughters are afraid to go outside, if the schools become unusable, if the hospitals fall apart. Doesn't matter. You never complain. You take it like a man.  

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

59 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

It's maddening. Like this whole narrative that the D's are about to get crushed because inflation, with the "electorate" trusting the R's more on economy than the D's despite the clear track record of R's being irresponsible and cratering the economy and D's bailing them out. Just irrational as hell. We are a hurr durr society.

By jove, I think he’s got it!  Welcome to the Ledge!

• Haha 1

Interesting  opinion when you look at the local level

https://richmond.com/opinion/columnists/the-red-state-murder-problem-thats-just-a-democratic-driven-myth/article_45c268f4-27c6-531b-89ce-d1561bd29862.html

One problem with that: In most of these red states, the high murder rates are driven by the lethal violence in their blue cities.

Take Missouri. Yes, it voted for Trump. But it is also home to two of the most dangerous U.S. cities — St. Louis and Kansas City — both of which are run by Democrats. Earlier this year, CBS News did an analysis of the “deadliest U.S. cities” using the latest FBI and other crime data. In 2019, it found, St. Louis had the highest murder rate in the nation, with 64.54 murders per 100,000 residents. Kansas City, meanwhile, had the eighth-highest murder rate, with 29.88 murders per 100,000. According to the FBI, the state had about 520 murders in major metropolitan areas that year, 20 in cities outside metropolitan areas, and 28 in nonmetropolitan counties. So, the vast majority of Missouri’s homicides took place in its Democrat-run cities.

The same is true for Louisiana, which has two of the most lethal Democratic-run cities in the country: Baton Rouge, which in 2019 had the sixth-highest murder rate in the nation with 31.72 murders per 100,000 residents, and New Orleans, which had the seventh-highest rate with 30.67 murders per 100,000. Without those cities, the state’s murder rate would significantly drop.

That’s not all. Tennessee’s homicide rate was driven up by Democratic-run Memphis, which ranked ninth in the country with 29.21 homicides per 100,000 residents. Also powering the state’s murder rate: then-Democratic-led Chattanooga (No. 29) with 18.15 murders per 100,000 in 2019 (note: the city elected an independent in 2021); Democratic-run Nashville (No. 59) with 12.08 per 100,000; and Democratic-run Knoxville (No. 62) with 11.66 per 100,000.

The same goes for other red states: In Alabama, Democratic-run Birmingham, which ranked third with 50.62 murders per 100,000 citizens, drove up the state murder rate, as did Democratic-run Tuscaloosa (No. 21) with 20.77 per 100,000. Kentucky’s murder rate was run up by its largest city, Democratic-run Louisville, which had the 46th-highest murder rate in 2019, with 13.92 homicides per 100,000 residents. Arkansas’s rate was driven up by Democratic-run Little Rock, the capital and largest city, which had the 24th-highest murder rate with 19.15 homicides per 100,000 residents. Mississippi’s was driven up by the homicides in its Democratic-run capital Jackson, which had a murder rate of 46.5 per 100,000 in 2019.

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

"murders happen where people live" film at 11.   especially poor people.  but instead of a marshall plan for the inner city, as was recommended 50 years ago, poors are something to be policed, not assisted. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, elfenix said:

"murders happen where people live" film at 11.   especially poor people.  but instead of a marshall plan for the inner city, as was recommended 50 years ago, poors are something to be policed, not assisted. 

This is true. Democrats are missing a wonderful opportunity to fight the Republicans head on on the issue of crime. The most popular position on crime in the country is increase funding to fight crime and reduce the number of guns on the streets. That’s what Americans want and that is the position of President Biden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

why do I see Texas on that list? our esteemed governor promised us he would eliminate rape. hmmm, curious. it's almost as if he's full of shit

he was stymied, you see, by democrats.  who made sure that victims were wearing that thing and let out the perp on bond directing him to do rape.

a578f6fc3ac400c30c62ad336aae4ba5.jpg

When I told my Fox News poisoned Dad I was going to NYC alone, he kept fretting about how dangerous it was and really being a downer and I was really irritated about him trying to damper my enthusiasm.

After about the seventh lecture, I told him to compare the crime rates to Alabama and asked him why he doesn’t lecture me all the time about how dangerous my every day life should be.

He stopped bugging me after that.
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

a578f6fc3ac400c30c62ad336aae4ba5.jpg

When I told my Fox News poisoned Dad I was going to NYC alone, he kept fretting about how dangerous it was and really being a downer and I was really irritated about him trying to damper my enthusiasm.

After about the seventh lecture, I told him to compare the crime rates to Alabama and asked him why he doesn’t lecture me all the time about how dangerous my every day life should be.

He stopped bugging me after that.

I get the same from my my parents. Always ask if I have enough ammo for the race war. Constantly begging me to move out of libtard austin before I get murdered by the gay colored trans commies.

7 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Dems are still paying the price for the defund the police nonsense from the maniacs in their party. At least they’re actually taking it seriously, that’s a big step. 

It's not nonsense when the police themselves say they are put into positions where they have to deal with situations they aren't trained for. It makes sense to move some funding from police to other types of response services to better serve the community. Not every situation requires a gun to resolve. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Yes but that's the fault of the Democrat District Attorneys in those states.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Yes but that's the fault of the Democrat District Attorneys in those states.

One odd irony is that Texas, of all places, has been pretty progressive in doing things like drug and alternative courts to try to address incarceration nation.  It's been an ongoing thing for 25-plus years.  Kind of like the Kochs were/are actually big proponents of prison reform and the predecessors to the First Step Act were actually sponsored by pre-Trump Republicans and had solid bipartisan support.  The usual suspects in the Senate gutted a lot of it when it passed.

Dallas County DA John Creuzot, who is now progressive, but was pretty "conservative" in the past (meaning the "good" kind, not what passes for it today), practically invented the drug diversion court.  He's had some non-prosecution policies that have caught some shit and I'm not sure they're ultimately the way to go, but it is sure as hell worth a try.

One of the problems is that crime is a difficult sociological problem with a lot of causes a lot of ins, outs, what-have-yous.  A blunt force approach of more policing, more arrests, more convictions and more (longer) sentencing does zero to address the problems.

Anyone that tries to tie crime rates to one simple correlation, like progressive prosecution, reduced police presence, bail reform, or lenient sentencing is trying to sell you a bill of goods.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

It's not nonsense when the police themselves say they are put into positions where they have to deal with situations they aren't trained for. It makes sense to move some funding from police to other types of response services to better serve the community. Not every situation requires a gun to resolve. 

Don't bother wasting your time

I am totally behind the real notions underlying "defund the police."  To me, it means making the police and related services more effective in fighting crime by actually addressing causes and symptoms of crime, especially not criminalizing drug= and mental-health-related behavior that can be prosecuted as a crime, but shouldn't.

I think the originators of the phrase tried to use "defund"  to mean something more complex than "abolish."  But it's just too easily abused by simpletons and was a horrid mistake.  There are people out there that are proponents of "police abolition," but that isn't what they really mean.

I guess they were striving for something more meaningful that "reform the police," but that would have been 100x better, imo, maybe 1000x.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am totally behind the real notions underlying "defund the police."  To me, it means making the police and related services more effective in fighting crime by actually addressing causes and symptoms of crime, especially not criminalizing drug= and mental-health-related behavior that can be prosecuted as a crime, but shouldn't.

I think the originators of the phrase tried to use "defund"  to mean something more complex than "abolish."  But it's just too easily abused by simpletons and was a horrid mistake.  There are people out there that are proponents of "police abolition," but that isn't what they really mean.

I guess they were striving for something more meaningful that "reform the police," but that would have been 100x better, imo, maybe 1000x.

It was also just Fox News and the Right seeing a couple protest signs that they could key up on to scare their viewers. They then repeat it over and over until it becomes THE movement regardless of if that is really what it is. The Right are masters of marketing their fear like no other. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

The poors, particularly poor blacks and native americans, murder the shit out of each other.  This is the case throughout the nation regardless of the political party administering a specific geography.  The oligarchy is never going to outlaw guns, legalize drugs and revolutionize education in these poor communities so just learn to accept the third world conditions.  Nothing will change during any of our lifetimes in a meaningful way because the die has already been cast for every poor black or native american baby.  They will receive the same shit education/opportunity as the generation immediately before them and are doomed to the same cycle of gun violence, drugs, murder and incarceration.    

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Tough sell during a crime wave. 

• Fuck You 8

35 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Tough sell during a crime wave. 

What crime wave? 
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-dangerous-cities-in-texas
Specifically:

The ten most dangerous cities in Texas are:

1. Bellmead
  2. Humble
  3. Lubbock
  4. Bastrop
  5. Palmview
  6. Livingston
  7. Houston
  8. Alamo
  9. Amarillo
  10. Beaumont

Bellmead is the most dangerous city in Texas. There are 1,294 violent crimes per 100,000 residents and 6,196 property crimes per 100,000 residents. Bellmead is also one of the 30 most dangerous cities in the United States. In 2018, residents of Bellmead faced a 1 in 4 chance of being a victim of theft or arson. Additionally, violent crimes increased in Bellmead from 2017 to 2018.

Houston, by the way, is trending down in basically every metric of crime. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It was reform and should have always been reform. Sending a squad of armed officers for mental health crises just leads to someone (innocent) getting killed 

• Hook 'Em 1

It was also just Fox News and the Right seeing a couple protest signs that they could key up on to scare their viewers. They then repeat it over and over until it becomes THE movement regardless of if that is really what it is. The Right are masters of marketing their fear like no other. 
I mean they turned "woke", which just means aware of injustice, into a pejorative.
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

What crime wave? 
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-city-rankings/most-dangerous-cities-in-texas
Specifically:

Houston, by the way, is trending down in basically every metric of crime. 

https://forwardtimes.com/houston-streets-have-become-a-war-zone/amp/

Denying the obvious is one strategy I guess. It’s going over like a fart in church, but to each their own. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

The crime wave is just another red mirage. Show us the real data to back your claim, not what your daddy on fox news told you 

I think you mean red wave. 

• Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Absolutely. It was just a terrible term to choose, way too easy for the other side to exploit in messaging. "Hey, the dirty libtards want to ABOLISH police departments! Vote for us!"

• Hook 'Em 2

So felonies like rape, murder, assault, theft, burglary, larceny, and arson are set by the Biden Federal Administration?  They are enforced by the FBI and prosecuted by the Dept. of Justice, right?  "Crime Waves" fall under the Executive Branch, no?  

25 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Denying the obvious is one strategy I guess. It’s going over like a fart in church, but to each their own. 

The statistics were literally from HPD's own website. I guess that's denial, when you can post an article heavy on anecdotal stories with only a couple of statistics. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No, I mean like how in 2020 yall thought it was a red wave but it was actually yall just getting high on fox news' supply. And then because so many of you uncritical idiots were so sure that the election was stolen, yall went at tried to overthrow our democracy.

Shit, one of yall just went and tried to murder Pelosi's husband, and other state senate candidate was assaulted in his backyard (in PA). The common thread is consistently this insane belief that is unsupported by real data, but has intoxicatingly powerful rhetoric if you're not bothered by alternative facts

My parents were so convinced by Fox that Trump would win in a historic landslide that they quit watching Fox after the election

for 2 weeks.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

The Right are masters of marketing their fear like no other. 

they invented PR to convince the population that, no, john d. the second wasn't, in fact, a piece of shit, it was all those coal miners with black lung that he paid pennies a day that caused the pinkertons and the national guard (at john d. the second's behest) to attack them. 

they then convinced us that slowly poisoning yourself was cool (and wasn't even poisoning yourself, but, in fact, healthy!), that we're the problem instead of the 7 pieces of trash that come with every product made, that the global warming their own scientists had been telling them about for decades wasn't real, and on and on.  the only thing they've failed at is new coke.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Awesome link to a smattering of crime stories written by someone who doesn't seem to understand what a homicide rate is. You really set us straight.